New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default What Does One Do In Toronto?

Hey Playground. A friend of mine has extended an offer to me, to go with him to Toronto for New Years. I'm still kinda torn about it (aboot it?), and I'd like input from any of you northlanders or travel-gurus as to recommendations on things to do in the greater Toronto area. Literally, all I have in my head about Canada is lumberjacks, maple syrup and moose/caribou - I haven't been to Canada since I was about 9 years old, and you know how ignorant us Americans are about foreign countries, even ones attached to us. (I kid, of course - I'm sure there are people in America who do fabulously in geography classes. There's got to be one in the whole country, right?)

But yeah. Toronto. What do?
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What Does One Do In Toronto?

Visit Gwyn, I believe?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Planning to go there for vacation next year. Definitely going to check out the zoo, and I've heard that the Royal Ontario Museum's even more awesome since last visit about 15 years ago.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Places recommended:

• CN Tower
    • Hockey Hall of Fame, even if you're not a hockey fan
    • All the Tim Hortons and Pizza Pizzas you may come across(Good stuff)
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

5. - Top - End - #5

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Canada is tons of fun. High alcohol beers, Cuban cigars, ballet .

Toronto is a world-class city. There are tons of fun stuff to do there whether you like fine dining, theater, shopping, bar hopping, museums, etc. The only bad thing is that the Leafs won't be playing

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

The TV show Layover recently did an episode on Toronto, so if you want to know where the amazing places to eat are, track it down.

CN Tower isn't really worth visiting when it's likely to be snowing or cloudy - it's just a tall thing with a glass floor. Skip it.

In addition to the ROM, the Art Gallery of Ontario and Ontario Science Centre are top-notch if you're into that sort of thing. If you enjoy weird and wacky subculture shops, a blitz through Queen Street will satisfy your craving. Kensington Market is not far from there, and has lots of quirky shops as well, in addition to incredible food. Eaton Centre is fun if you enjoy massive malls. One quirk of Bloor Street is the overabundance of sushi places, so if that tickles your fancy, your choices are vast. In terms of other shopping, there's the World's Biggest Bookstore, but I believe it is no longer actually the biggest.

The islands are very pretty in the summer, as are the myriad parks, but sadly this is not summer. It's also barely winter - snow hasn't stayed on the ground, at least in my area, so it's kind of disappointing in general.

Also, if we have so many Torontonians here, why is there no meetup? I am disappoint in you, fellow canucks.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2012-12-21 at 06:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

So close, yet so far away...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

The responses in this thread may also prove relevant to some extent...
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Stalk Rush for me.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Toronto is not too far from Niagara Falls; worth the trip. If not, Toronto itself is a top notch city...you'll find plenty of cool things to do...even in winter.
    Last edited by Scarlet Knight; 2012-12-22 at 04:45 PM.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Toronto is not too far from Niagara Falls; worth the trip. If not, Toronto itself is a top notch city...you'll find plenty of cool things to do...even in winter.
    Do yourself a favor and look around youth hostels. You can get almost the same deal as you would with one of the travel agencies(minus the meal) for more than 100 dollars cheaper. Seriously, I got everything, guided tower and Maid of the Mist(ok, I also had to pay extra for that, but it was about 14 dollars and was well worth extra money, if you ask me), trip to Niagara on the lake and a tasting of ice wine in one of the wineries. All in all, a day well spent, since you will take about three hours in one direction and I don't regret 90 dollars I spent on it. And like I said, it was about 100 dollars cheaper than in the agency only a couple of blocks away.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Visit Gwyn, I believe?
    HAH! Oh, this made me smile. I feel popular!

In seriousness, it depends on your interests. If you're an arts fan, the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) is AMAZING.
    Spoiler
    Show

If you're interested in just pretty things or history, natural or otherwise, the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) is awesome (though the building... not so pretty)
    Spoiler
    Show

Both of those are right downtown. The Toronto Zoo is a while away, but also is worth going to even in winter: the animals tend to be more active in the cold, than in the heat.

I'd also not recommend the CN tower, due to the price. You can see it from almost anywhere though, and it lights up at night. It'll definitely have a special show for new years.
    Spoiler
    Show

Niagara Falls isn't far, and is STUNNING.
    Spoiler
    Show

I haven't gone to the science center in SO long, so can't really say much about that. Not much my thing...

The two best markets need to be checked out: St. Lawrence Market is an indoor market! Make sure to get the back-bacon-onna-bun, it's a Toronto thing that almost nobody knows about.
    Spoiler
    Show

Kensington Market is an outdoor market area filled with counter-culture shops, clothes stores, and fruit markets. And other things. Lots of street performers too.

Yonge-Dundas Square can't be missed! It's Toronto's equivalent of Picadilly Circus or Times Square.
    Spoiler
    Show

Nathan Phillips Square, right in front of City Hall, is where the big new years ceremony and stuff is, unless you go to the one in Niagara Falls. It also has a skating rink in front of it!
    Spoiler
    Show

There are, as others said, TONS of great bars around, though being as I'm underage still here, can't help you with that.

The super-hip downtown areas are Queen West from Bathurst well into Parkdale now, almost as far as Jameson, and Roncesvalles as well. Lots of great restaurants and bars along those stretches.

The best place to see the city skyline (which is STUNNING) is either from the Islands
    Spoiler
    Show

or from Leslie Spit, a constructed piece of land made out of garbage, mostly, which is slowly naturalizing, and makes quite a pleasant bike or walking trail.
    Spoiler
    Show

Um, if you're into architecture at all, there are some STUNNING buildings all over the place! Everything from traditional civic buildings like Old City Hall
    Spoiler
    Show

to the brilliant brutalist mass that is Robarts Library (which lots of people hate but I adore).
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, AMAZING cafes, especially around Queen West.

Basically everything I named is within walking distance of me, except the zoo and the science center, or roncesvalles. And Niagara falls... So if you do need a guide or anything I can see if I'm available.

I'm just gonna think if I'm missing anything important... There are tons of other little museums and stuff. Tons of art galleries scattered around. The Hockey Hall of Fame. The Bata Shoe Museum, an entire museum dedicated to SHOES. The Textile Museum. Fort York is a mid-19th century fort in the middle of downtown Toronto. the Canadian Air and Space Museum. The Toronto Reference Library.

Various places immortalized in Scott Pilgrim: almost every single place in the comics is an actual place. Even all the Starbucks and things are real actual Starbucks...

You must go to a Tim Hortons at least once. It's a cultural icon. Get a double-double and a doughnut of your choice.

I'm totally missing things, but yeah. It's a great city. And I really only know the very downtown core to any great extent. No doubt there's so much more to do outside the downtown core...

And as for meetups? We tried a while ago. Never happened. I spend most of my time in Montreal now for school, but if a meetup is during the summer I'm game.

Edit: OH MAN THINGS I MISSED!

The Canadian Opera Company and the National Ballet of Canada are both AMAAAAZING! Both are in the 4 Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts! The Toronto Symphony Orchestra is also very good, though Roy Thompson Hall is terrible.
    I can't believe I missed High Park, which is a sprawling 161 hectare park, mostly undeveloped, in the middle of the city.
    There's lots of great theatres and such, all over the place, both for huge shows off of Broadway, and also tiny local art-theatre places.
    The Distillery District still smells like delicious alcohols, but is now mostly restaurants, galleries, and awesome things.
    Black Creek Pioneer Village is a reproduction early-1800s village, just like the first English settlers, most of them refugees from America, would have lived in.
    The Scarborough Bluffs are some cliffs by the lake, though maybe not so fun in winter...
    There are all sorts of "ethnic" neighbourhoods, like Little Italy, Chinatown, Koreatown, Little Portugal, the Danforth (which for some reason isn't called Greektown)...

More Edits: MoCCA! Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art! Love that place!
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2012-12-22 at 11:07 PM.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Actually, if one is ever in Toronto, the first thing one must do is buy a plane ticket to Vancouver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Of course, the best thing to do in Vancouver is to go back to Toronto.

Except don't fly, that's for suckers. Take the train. Those Vancouverites want you to miss out on the rest of Canada so that their crummy city looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Except don't fly, that's for suckers. Take the train. Those Vancouverites want you to miss out on the rest of Canada so that because their crummy awesome city looks good.
    Corrected that for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

Run around punching people and pick up coins.
    Also, we Canadians know kung fu. All of us.
    Ask Scott Pilgrim.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."