New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default [CG/DtB] The Day a New Sky Was Born

9 AM, Monday, 15 April, 2017 A.T.B. – Area 11, Ashford Academy

Dawn of a new day, and the sun slowly rises into the sky. Three weeks into the new school year, excitement from the between-terms break still almost palpable in the air and evident on the faces of most students. With their early-morning club meetings out of the way now, or having just arrived for lack of a meeting, the majority of students are milling about in the courtyard behind the main building. Some relax in the ample shade provided by the large trees, others gather in groups around the picnic tables, even others are playing an early-morning game of football, laughter floating up as they make for the improvised goal box.

A setting of peace and tranquility, the school stands as a haven in an Area that is still very much a warzone. None of the students know just how close the war is to them personally.
    -
    Ren Akimoto stands outside of the Student Council clubhouse, staring at the hastily-scribbled note stuck on the front door. Her morning Martial Arts Club meeting always made it hard for her to get to the pre-school Student Council meetings, but usually when she did show up, at least the other members were still there. Or had been there, at some point. Apparently though, today was different.

Today’s pre-class meeting has been cancelled. Sorry!
    <3 President Ashford
    P.S. Normal meetings resume at noon!

“What’s wrong?” A voice behind Ren calls out. That would be Malakai Duncan, another member of the Martial Arts Club, and one of the members currently vying to get the spot of Vice President that opened up in the new year. The younger boy stands with his hands in his pockets, smiling awkwardly at her. His dark hair and eyes mixed with the light complexion and round eyes mark him as a mixed-blood, but of what isn’t apparent.

-

Out in the courtyard, Sanae Watanabe sits alone under the shade of one of the many trees. The large, grassy area is rectangular in size, split further into four equal quadrants by the walkway. Her bag is nestled up to her side, arm wrapped securely around it. Past experience has taught her not to leave her things unattended on campus, for threat of being vandalized.

Nearby, one of the picnic tables is taken over by a boisterous group of boys with odd accents added to their uniforms. They have white gloves and a matching armband on their left arms. Leaning against the table is a flagpole, the Britannian Standard flying on it. Most of the other students are avoiding the table, especially any of the natives to the area.
    “Hey! Watch out!” Heads turn as the shout comes, and the checkered black-and-white ball comes rolling up near Sanae.

-

Artemis Santillion sits perched on top of a picnic table, newest issue of The Enquirer in hand. Fellow council member Rivalz Cardemonde is seated nearby on the attached bench, head laid down on the table atop his arms. He gives a loud sigh for probably the fiftieth time in the last ten minutes.

“Where’s the Prez?” He practically whines out, voice muffled. “What coulda come up so suddenly to make her run out like that?”

Earlier in the morning when the three had just met up in the clubhouse to get ready for the morning meeting, Milly had gotten a text and made the others leave. She hadn’t even spared an explanation for Artemis, which was incredibly odd.

Since then, Artemis hadn’t been able to shake Rivalz, apparently depressed by their president’s absence. He punctuates the morning with another loud sigh.

-

At an empty table, Jin Wu is staring down at his History textbook, eyes glazed over as he takes in nothing on the open page. He’s been sitting like this for some time, but with no one around to comment, none have been made. Several more minutes pass as he blankly regards the open book, barely moving in that time.

With a growing chatter, a group of six sits at the table, paying no attention to the boy already there. Hard pressed to fit four on one side, as the last boy squeezes in he manages to dislodge Jin, sending him sprawling on the ground. A moment passes and then the startled boy, brushing his silver hair from his eyes, looks over to the fallen boy with surprise.

“Oh! I’m sorry!”

He offers a hand to help Jin up, offering a shy smile. “I didn’t even see you there.”
    -

OOC Thread
    Last edited by Shadon; 2012-12-28 at 08:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [CG/DtB] The Day a New Sky Was Born

Ren Akimoto

Ren sighed in disappointment, frustrated that her extra effort to arrive on time for the pre-class meeting was all for nothing. Though she did not enjoy the meetings all that much, she did hold it to a personal standard to make it to every meeting if she was able. Looking behind her, she gave Malakai a stare tired by the already building stress, frowning.

"The Meeting seems to be cancelled for today..so I guess its off to class for us" she replied with a breath, her arms wrapped behind her head as she walked slowly down the hallway.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Artemis flicks Rivalz in the ear without looking up from The Enquirer, "Don't whine, sit up straight. Maybe it's some kind of surprise"

She reads a bit more until an idea comes to mind, "Maybe she's sick. You should go make her something in case she is, I'm sure she'd appreciate it!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Sanae Watanabe

Sanae sits upright, back to the tree, and taps away at her laptop, paging rapidly between windows of complex calculations and Knightmare schematics, zooming in and out from the latter.

"So, if Lloyd's right about the Z-01's Sakuradite distribution throughout the frame- and he almost certainly is, knowing him- then it will drastically increase the Knightmare's specs, like he wants. But of course, he had to get too eager again and make it beyond the capabilities of any Devicer...yes, Cecile's definitely got the right idea in toning things down to make them manageable. I know I wasn't assigned this, but at least she shouldn't mind if I come up with some ideas on my own time. Maybe if we modified the Core Luminous like so, it could compensate..." she mutters to herself quietly, fingers flurrying.

A frown furrows her brow as she hears the shout, and she looks up just in time to take a flying soccer ball full in the face. "Ackpth!" She sputters, hands flying up a second too late as the ball falls to earth, accompanied by her glasses. Sanae makes an exasperated noise, and gingerly puts her laptop to her side, hands blindly feeling around on the grass for her eyewear.

Damn it, this is a pain. So much for not getting any unwanted attention over here...Wonder what the odds are that they kicked it at me on purpose? Pretty good, I'm guessing.
    Last edited by delta639; 2012-12-29 at 03:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadon
    I'm an equal-opportunity GM. Everyone has an equal opportunity of horrid death.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Jin Wu

A hand. Hitting, slamming, shoving. Force, too much. Body, frail, weak, tired. Falling, flying. Sprawling. The floor tastes like dust. Dust and sweat. The noise, the clammer, nothing stops. The bodies, the movement, the work. Nothing changes. The man, his voice, his growl. An animal. A roar. Fist. Pounding. Pounding.. Screaming.

What went wrong? Did he slow down? Did he slip up? Was a piece defective? Did his eyes waver from his task?

But wait.. no..

Jin blinked. His eyes softened from their tightly wincing form. He lifted his head, finding himself on his knees, hands outstretched, submissively toward the table he had just been sitting at. A boy, silver hair, was looking at him. A boy.. not the man. Not the hand, or the fists, or the roar. Just a boy.

Just a memory.

Jin slowly pulled in his hands. He looked to his book, retrieved it, and stood, silently.

He stared at the boy for an uncomfortable length of time.
    Last edited by Valik Sparks; 2012-12-29 at 06:28 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ren
    As they walk, the pair makes their way from the green outside of the clubhouse and into the main school building. Only a few minutes before class, the halls are still mostly empty – the majority of the student body chooses to loiter outside until the last moment, when some of the friendlier teachers will call out a warning to them that only a few minutes remain to get to their classrooms. The only other person that the duo encounters is one of the janitors, a middle-aged man who gives them both a dark look. He makes no move to get out of their way, letting them pass with coldness in his expression.

Malakai falls into step with the older girl as they go, reaching into his pocket and withdrawing a wrapped candy. It rustles noisily as he opens it and pops it in his mouth. Soon after, Ren finds his hand stuck in front of her, offering another of the hard treats. “Want a sweetie?” He asks, eye flickering to her and then away several times, nervous smile holding.

Artemis
    Rivalz gives a surprised – and exaggeratedly wounded – yelp at the flick, further burying his head into his arms. However, at Artemis’ other suggestion, his head pops up and he looks at her, eyes swimming with a mixture of excitement and worry. “Sick? You think Mil- the Prez is sick?! Wouldn’t she have told you?” His lamenting immediately turns into a more thoughtful, quieter tone. “What could I make her?”

“Artemis!” He slams his hands down on the table dramatically, sure to draw her attention away from the tabloid. “What could I make her to convey my sympathy as well as best wishes that she feels better soon?!”
    Heads from nearby tables have turned to glance in their general direction, quiet murmurs passing around. Chuckles from the direction of a particularly crowded table of boys.

Sanae
    “Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!” The flustered voice cuts loudly into Sanae’s thoughts. Through her blurred vision, she can make out another girl with apparently purple hair kneeling on the ground, arms stretched out.

Within a few seconds, Sanae feels her glasses pushed into one of her outstretched hands tentatively. The other girl quickly starts up talking again, still looking no more recognizable than a blur. “I’m so so so so sorry, I didn’t see you over here at all! We were playing and the ball went flying and I would have yelled sooner but I didn’t see you! I mean, it was a stupid mistake, but-“

“Sophie,” one of two more approaching figures scolded. Both girls from the colors of the uniforms, one with long dark hair, the other with shorter, lighter. “Do you have the ball? The others are waiting. Come on.”

“It hit her, I have to make sure she’s alr-“

“Sophie,” the voice cut in again, thinly stretched patience sinking in. “So what? Just leave her.”

Jin
    Outstretched arm left hanging, the silver-boy slowly withdraws it, letting it hang down at his side. His smile fades, but he offers a fake laugh, reaching up a hand to rub at the back of his neck. “I’m really sorry about that. I honestly didn’t even notice you there.”

It wouldn’t be the first time. Jin was often overlooked, unnoticed, unseen – all of them.

The others at the table are still talking, mostly, but two of the girls are sitting huddled together, whispering. Shooting glances at Jin. Making comments. About Jin. Leering at Jin. Seeing him, judging him, finding- or maybe they’re just giggling over him getting pushed off on accident. Girls are strange.

"Um," the silver-boy gestures towards the general area of the table, "we can scoot over, y'know? You can sit here still. If you want to."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Jin Wu

Nothing but his eyes moved, slowly shifting within their sockets, taking it all in, silently. Expressionless.

Their apathy. Carelessness. Disregard. He wasn't unfamiliar with it. He'd grown up with it. But he'd grown up as a worker ant, a factory boy. It was his lot. He was supposed to be treated that way. But here... this was a school, a supposed place of knowledge and community, which preached togetherness and equality.

If it was only Jin himself who was treated this way, he might not care. But it wasn't. It was the lot of so many. This.. superiority complex. Injust treatment. The weak, the small, the slow, the minority.. His eyes caught them being trampled by others.. constantly. Nearly every day he witnessed the strong abusing the weak. Socially, mentally, verbally..even physically.

Something within his own soul was growing.. something that left a bitter taste in his mouth. A constriction in his chest. Something that grew sick of the pain he watched others wreak upon each other. Of seeing pain in what was proclaimed to be a safe and healthy environment.

Something was growing indeed... Something.. Angry.

Jin blinked. He looked at the silver-haired boy. Expression flat at first, he looked over the rest of the table. His eyes narrowed ever slightly.

"That won't be necessary." He turned, paused, "Thank you," and then left. Striding away from the table, Jin aimlessly scanned the courtyard. A scene that normally would not have taken his attention suddenly caused him to stop, something in him wanting to watch how it would play out. He leaned his shoulder against a tree, picking at the bark with his fingernail.

It was a girl, at another tree nearby, fumbling on the ground. There was a ball with her. Another girl, purple hair, was delivering a pair of glasses, and the red tinge still left on Fumbling's face was the final piece to the puzzle. She must've been struck, and the other girl was helping.. and yet.. nearby, two other girls stood, not coming to help, but waiting coldly, eyeing their purple-haired friend and lost ball.

The looks on their faces.. the darkness in their eyes. Perhaps it was exaggerated in Jin's mind.. but there it was again. A prime example. The strong preying upon the weak. Segragation of people, and by what justification? Lineage? Blood? Skin color? They lift their noses as though the identity of their parents gives them superiority over their fellow classmates. They feel a right to look down on others, to not care for the welfare of anyone who may not fit into their pathetic confines of 'acceptance'.

Sickening...

Without fully realizing it, Jin's free hand was gripped tightly into a white-knuckled fist. And his other hand fell away from the tree, leaving a mark scratched into the bark. A simple letter.

"Z"
    Last edited by Valik Sparks; 2012-12-29 at 07:09 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Ren Akimoto

Ren looks at the candy contemplatively for a few moments before nodding her head, taking the candy with a nod of her head before tossing it into her mouth. Although she wasn't a girl that enjoyed sweets on a regular basis, it was only polite to humor the boy once and a while. "Arigatou" she said simply with a smile, checking her wrist watch before looking back to him. "We better hurry, class'll start soon without us" she continued, pushing the boy into a brisk jog before following behind.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Sanae Watanabe

"Mh. Thank you," Sanae murmurs as the purple-tinged blurry girl retrieves her glasses, and she quickly places them back on her face to observe this newcomer.

Eyebrows raised, she holds up a hand, futilely trying to forestall the girl's flustered aplologies- and only partially because of how loud she is, Sanae thinks with a slight wince. "No, that's all right, it was an honest mistake. Could've happened to anyone, I get overlooked rather easily..." Certainly try to, at least. It's easier than the alternative.

"And I'm fine, really. Just a little bump..." Sanae trails off, and turns her bespectacled gaze on the new girl voicing her thoughts. Aaand now we're making a scene over this, wonderful. It might have been better if this girl had retrieved the ball, not giving me a second thought would be better than incurring hostility from their game's interruption.

...Well, I know how to deal with her kind, at least. Bow the head, bend the knee, give them what they expect from a lowly Eleven.
    "Sorry to be a bother," she says demurely, turning her gaze back to the ground and pushing the ball towards voice number two. "...Sophie, is it? Your friend's right, just go back to your game. There's no point in worrying yourself over me." She gives Sophie a weak smile.

As her head turns, Sanae's eye catches that of another turned on her, giving her a start. A male classmate standing beside a tree, with Asian features, and a narrow stare- oddly empty-eyed. She shivers slightly as the boy stares at her- his gaze isn't as threatening as several others she remembers turned on her, but it still unsettles Sanae, and that makes her respond with a bit more hostility than normal. "...You too, over there," she calls past the two girls. "If you've got something to say to me, quit staring and say it. But you shouldn't, because there's nothing to see here, so just go about your business."
    Last edited by delta639; 2012-12-29 at 06:05 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Artemis

Artemis tries her best to ignore Rivalz and keep on readingTthe Enquirer until he slams the table, at which point she takes note of the page, gives an exaggerated sigh, and turns to look at him. "Wellllllll, we're still doing the noon meeting. I'm sure Milly just doesn't want to miss two meetings. If she's sick, she'll need her neergy. So why don't you go run and make her something to eat? Better hurry since you don't want to miss class you know!"

Sliding off the table she closes The Enquirer, moves over to Rivalz and pulls him up. "Go! Make some soup or something! Or at least buy her something and pretend you made it. But it's better if you make it yourself." Then Milly gets to suffer a bit too for not telling me about this
    Last edited by Demented Dragon; 2012-12-29 at 06:01 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jin
    As Jin leaves the now-occupied table behind, a chorus of whispers breaks out behind him. They fade quickly as he makes his way over to the tree, leaning, no longer heard as he’s taking in the scene with the four girls.

One of the two antagonistic girls, short light-brown hair, pale eyes, - Wendy, maybe? – looks over as the one on the ground calls out to him. She gives a sneer, expression not reaching her eyes, and plants her hands on her hips. Hesitates noticeably before speaking up. “You heard her, get out of here, there’s nothing to see.”

Ren
    Ren,” Malakai hisses out, looking around as furtively as he can while being pushed into a jog. “Are you trying to bring attention to yourself?” This is followed by a light, flighty laugh, obviously trying not to sound even more nervous, and failing. Still no one around them, they break out into a jog to cover the distance to Ren’s first class, turning the corner and heading up a flight of stairs. At the top, in front of the classroom, the two halt.

Slightly out of breath, still smiling, the boy leans against the wall. “I’ll see you at practice!” He gets out after a bit, offering a wave and pushing off to head down to his own class. Ren is left outside the door to her first class of the day, History of Britannian Areas.

Inside the classroom, she can see her teacher, Colonel Denary, writing away on the whiteboard. About half of the seats in the classroom are filled by other students, most of them looking bored already. There’s some noise coming from the window that overlooks the courtyard – that would be the call for the outside students to get to class. Looks like she’s right on time.

Artemis
    Rivalz lets himself be pulled up, face lighting up at the suggestions Artemis offers. He throws his arms around her in a somewhat-violent hug, letting go as fast as he started it and taking off at an all-out run. “Ah! Artemis, you’re the best! I’ll go make her something right now, and bring it to the lunch meeting!” He calls as he runs off, nearly crashing into several students on the way.

As he darts into the main school building, he nearly runs into one of the many guards spilling out. An indication that class will be starting in just a few minutes.

Off a ways, over towards the grove of trees, Artemis is aware of some kind of commotion going on. A lot of talking, a football, some students gathered. A few others nearby are looking over, but most seem like they don’t want to get involved.

Sanae
    Now in clear focus, Sophie stays on the ground throughout the exchange, chewing at the inside of her cheek. Her grey eyes look over Sanae searchingly, obviously trying to tell if she’s really alright, but eventually seems to come to the conclusion that she is. Returning the smile unsurely, the purple-haired girl gets up and brushes off, not sparing a backward glance as she moves over towards her two friends.

Able to see now, Sanae identifies the two other girls. One is Wendy Remingsworth, generally not someone known to bother other students – unless in the company of her best friend, Freya Evert. In other words, the darker-haired girl next to her that was widely known as being an antagonist to not only Numbers, but those of a lower birth, or even anyone she found mildly displeasing.

Wendy turns and calls out to the boy leaning against the tree, but her attention is quickly snapped back.

Sanae, Jin
    With a flourish, one of the boys from the previously boisterous table plants the Britannian flag in the soil near the tree where Sanae sits, another of his comrades walking up beside him. Clearing his throat, the blond, curly-haired youth not holding on to the flag pole stands with his arms crossed off to the side of both Sanae and the other girls – partially blocking Jin’s view.

“Is there a problem-“

Courtyard
    “Get to class, all of you!” Accompanied by two quick claps, one of the younger teachers is standing on the top steps that lead into the main building. Obviously fairly new to the school, he still insists on wearing his military uniform, as all teachers are supposed to – but most don’t, after their first few weeks. Standard beret on his head, he and two of the guards stand watch over the mass of moving students.

The front gates of the school close with a loud clang, ringing out for all to hear.

The flag-bearer and his friend near Jin and Sanae both hurry off at the call, the rest of their group following them. The other students are heading in as well, games and disputes forgotten for now.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Artemis

Torn between wanting to go to class to continue reading The Enquirer and curiosity at the tree scene, Artemis mutters "My morning reading time gone" and rushes over to the tree.

Noting the flag, Sanae, and Jin she gives them a look. "Why is there a flag here? I don't think it's necessary to claim this tree for Britannia. In fact, where did anyone get a flag to plant here?" She pulls it out of the ground and stares at it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Jin Wu

Face blank, Jin ignored all comments thrown his way. It became quickly irrelevant as the students were called back to class.

Like clockwork, they all busied themselves back to the school. They chattered with their comrades, exchanging smiles and laughs, but no second-glance was given to the 'outcasts'. This girl in glasses, a Japanese, and himself, a rare Chinese. Along with the few others who walked alone through the courtyard.

Is it a sin to be born with dark hair and midnight eyes?

He stared at the flag the Britannian boy had so haughtily plunged into the earth. His lips tightened, fingernails biting the skin of his palm.

Jin watched as the newly-arrived girl took out the flag. Her words made him snort under his breath, and he pushed off the tree, walking slowly back to class.

"The why is irrelevant. What is necessary is subjective. What is true is all there is. What is done is done. And with it they reveal their nature, who they are. The hand is dealt.

It's our turn now."

14. - Top - End - #14

Ren Akimoto

Ren chose to sit in the far middle section, close to the windows for a better view outside. Although she wasn't exactly the smartest girl in class, she couldnt handle the lectures this particular class focused in. She had long learned that it was much easier to just ignore the teacher completely, having kept ahead on the subjects each night just to avoid any attention needing to be given. Dont get her wrong, she enjoyed the class, she knew a few people in it and it was well ventilated so it was always a comfortable temperature. She was committed to being on time and being ahead on all work, she merely did not have the discipline in schoolwork she had in her club or with her time at home.

Looking around the classroom, textbook open on her desk, Ren began peering over the current class body for familiar faces in the hope that it wouldnt be a horrible period.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Sanae Watanabe

A slightly panicked look forms on Sanae's face as she sees the two armband-wearing boys approach with their flag, and she quickly looks to Sophie for aid in defusing the situation- but it doesn't prove necessary, and she sighs in relief at the teacher's announcement. Saved by the bell, then.

She closes her laptop and stows it away in her bag, dusting herself off as she stands and watches the offending classmates head off. Sanae raises her eyebrows, then smirks slightly at this newfound girl's words- though her smile fades at the dark-eyed boy's response. ...What's up with this guy?

"Quite an eloquent speaker, I'll give you that much..." she says to the Chinese boy's retreating back. "But even if their hand's showing, so to speak, it's to show a royal flush and all we have against them's junk. I don't know who you are, but it sounds like you have some big ideas about a response of your own...I'd discard them, for your own good, unless you want to get hurt."

She turns to this new girl. "Anyway, if you'd care for a more substantive answer...thank the Student Self-Defense Force for that little gift," she says with a nod to the flag in Artemis's hand. "They're very...enthusiastic about enforcing patriotism, I can tell you from experience. And I'd appreciate it if you put the flag back, on that note. One of them's almost certainly going to come retrieve it soon, and having seen me in close proximity to their displaced symbol might have...unpleasant...consequences." She grimaces. "We should get to class, as well." Sanae gestures off in the direction of the school building, starting to walk off past Artemis.
    Last edited by delta639; 2012-12-31 at 04:46 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ren
    Looking around, Ren recognizes her classmates, though many of them are still far from familiar to her. Rachel Smithson, notorious gossip and generally well-like social butterfly, is tucked in to the far back corner. Her expression is conspiratorial as she leans forward on her desk, the student in front of her turned half-way and talking excitedly. After a few moments, the two pause, both lean over and glance towards the door, and then turn back to their conversation. It should be noted that there was no one in the door when they peered over. Around the room, a few other conversations are going on, mostly hushed, but the remaining students sit quietly, getting books and other supplies out.

Fairly quickly, the remaining seats start filling up as the students from the courtyard come filing in. Their conversations die down as they take their seats. As with most days, the seats around Ren stay empty for the longest time – a stark reminder of her race and the prejudices brought by it. At the last minute, as Colonel Denary is closing the door, one last student slips in. The Colonel gives her a flat look, which the girl replies to with a nervous smile, hurrying past him and settling down right next to Ren.

In a flurry of tan-and-black uniform along with burnt orange hair, Shirley Fenette quickly takes the seat and brings out her textbook and note spiral. The door closes with a soft click, and their teacher turns to the board, finishing his notes before starting in on the beginning of his lecture. Shirley flips her book open to the corresponding chapter, settles her things, casts a glance up towards the teacher, and then leans over to her fellow Council member. “Ren, hey,” she whispers in a dramatic way, obviously nervous.

Jin
    Walking off from the courtyard, Jin makes his way to the main building and across the first floor. The halls are filled with students moving quickly to reach their first period. He finds himself jostled and bumped in to, but that’s only normal for a crowded walkway. Right? It’s not something against him personally. Is it?

The eyes of the other students appear to dart away from his, or, sometimes, give him dark looks, angry looks, predatory looks. They loom over him, a threatening presence, something to block his path. An obstacle.

And in the blink of an eye, the angry expressions are gone. Or were they even there? Whatever the answer, they’re gone now. Jin sees nothing out of the ordinary, just a sea of moving bodies, all going to their own destination. Paying him no heed, paying the others none as well. He quickly makes his way to class, sliding inside a few moments under the wire. The teacher, one Ms. Lancaster (“Captain, but you needn’t call me that, students!” rings clear as a memory from the first day) smiles her chipper grin at every student that enters. Seated among the class are a few familiar faces – Nina Einstein, Gabriel Winston, Vivian Holtress, and many more – but perhaps the most noteworthy is one of the girls from the football incident. The purple-haired one, seated in the second row, head down now as she doodles.
    Only a few empty seats remain, one being in the back, another off in the front near the wall, two more back diagonally behind the purple-haired girl.

Sanae, Artemis
    The courtyard is emptying of students now, Sanae and Artemis two of the last to be heading in. As the former begins to head for class, the guards up at the entrance to the main building are beginning to grow impatient. The others, up near the front gate, are taking up positions, distributing rifles, checking in over radios. The atmosphere grows more tense, more professional. Less like a school and more like a military institution.

As Sanae begins to make her way past Artemis, recognition settles in – she’s vaguely seen this girl before in her first period, their shared English class. They generally sit opposite of each other, and haven’t had much cause for interaction yet. Artemis herself realizes this at the same time, recalling the dark-eyed girl from having seen her enter and exit the class, or glimpsed when not reading her tabloids.

Their shared first period awaits ahead: English.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Jin Wu

Jin's eyes dimming with a familiar, abysmal glaze, he autonomously filed into the classroom. There was a seat at the back. A choice location. Yet, as he headed for it, he stopped in his tracks. His eyes locked on the purple-haired girl. Memories. Thoughts. Feelings. They snapped back, like a sudden recollection of a distant, half-forgotten time. And yet.. hadn't these memories come from just a few minutes ago?

The ball. The Japanese girl. The bigots.

His eyes held on her for a longer-than-appropriate moment before he quickly shuffled to the seat diagonally behind her. He sorted his things, glances flickering constantly at Purple-Hair.

He was still. Silent. Then, still staring down at his desk, he spoke in a monotone.

"What you did. For the girl in the courtyard. What you displayed was something of a rarity for your kind. I was surprised." He paused. "Pleasantly." Another awkward pause. "Don't falter from your goodness."

With that, Jin returned to silence. He slid a piece of scrap paper in front of himself and began to absent-mindedly sweep his pencil across the sheet; but despite how it looked, the lines of lead were beginning to take shape and purpose.

He blinked. Giving a quick glance to the purple-haired girl. He had just...spoken to her. Out of his own will and initiative. When was the last time he'd done that? When was the last time so many.. thoughts.. feelings.. had spun through his head?
    He blinked again. Suddenly feeling.. dizzy.. His heart seemed to thunder louder and harder. His gaze flicked about sporadically. Flashes, memories, words. The courtyard, the anger, the watching, the waiting. Ideas. Imaginings. Emotion.

...plans.

His free hand slid to his chest, clutching lightly. He felt a bead of sweat on his temple. He struggled to get a hold of the images and words snapping like fire crackers in his mind. This event, these feelings, had just happened. And yet, he couldn't seem to recall them straight, to organize them correctly. It felt so.. foreign. Like a dream. What had just happened? What was he feeling? Why was he feeling?

For a moment, Jin stopped breathing. His eyes stilled to an empty stare.

There's someone else here...
    Last edited by Valik Sparks; 2013-01-01 at 10:59 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

~Ren Akimoto~

"Hey to you too, Shirley-san" Ren responds softly, doing her best to remain quiet. Though they weren't entirely close, she did talk to Shirley quite a bit doing meetings and the occasional lunch period. This was more time then what she gave to the other students, willing or not, and it could be said it was more time then was given to even her club. Despite that all Ren knew about the girl was that she was of noble birth, a very polite and straightforward girl, and was down to earth compared to their eccentric President

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Artemis just stares at the Chinese boy, speechless. What's up with him?!

At Sanae's words she looks at the flag and mutters to herself "Student Self-Defense Force, seriously?" Then to Sanae, "Don't worry, I think I'll be holding on to this to get their attention so I can have a little word with them. If they bug you, tell them I've got the flag."

That said, Artemis heads off to class, flag over her shoulder and tabloid reopened.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Sanae

Sanae walks beside Artemis towards English, short stride making her hustle slightly to keep up, and she frowns at the other's words. It's not really my business what this girl does, but- "I...wouldn't recommend that, really. You're fairly obviously Britannian- Artemis, isn't it?- so they won't treat you as harshly as they would some other students, but they're still not the kind of people that you have words with...however you plan to do that. It's the other way around, generally."

She looks over Artemis again. "...Also, you're pretty," she adds as an afterthought. "And they're almost entirely guys. Might help in dealing with some of them, but others..." Sanae shakes her head.

They arrive outside the English classroom's door. Sanae steps inside first, glancing back at Artemis momentarily. I could tell her to leave the flag outside, but...if she won't listen to what I've already said, she probably needs to learn this lesson anyway. Shaking her head, she puts her head down and walks to her seat, mumbling an apology for lateness.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Artemis

She shrugs at Sanae's warning, "What could they really do to me at worst? Besides, they shouldn't be harassing people and something should be done about it"

At class Artemis walks in as if nothing is unusual, still holding the flag, and sits down in her usual spot in back. Do hope teachers won't make too much of a fuss about the flag, but we'll see

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jin
    When Jin speaks to her, the purple-haired girl turns around in surprise, just looking at him wide-eyed, eventually turning to face forward again. For some time, she makes no response. Ms. Lancaster begins her lecture, moving about the room, writing on the board, and much of the class begins to take notes. She begins writing out a long equation, stopping to add notes and explain variables, including a graph of how it would tend to look, and the like. The purple-haired girl in front of Jin shifts, reaching up to fix her hair. Something falls from her hand and lands on his desk.

A note.

It’s folded neatly, cutely even, into a little envelope. He can see the faded purple ink through the other side of the paper, but can’t make out anything from the outside of it.

Before he can open it, the P.A. system crackles to life.

Ren
    As their teacher goes more in depth on his lesson, Shirley remains silent for a few moments, tensely watching him until she’s sure he’s not paying attention to them. Tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear then, she turns towards Ren again and gives a polite smile. Her voice comes out low, curious.

“Have you seen the Prez today?”

Across the room, Ren notices Rachel once more engaged in conversation, even more excitedly than before. The Colonel clears his throat and fixes the girl with a stern look, which she replies to with an embarrassed one of her own. When he turns back to teaching though, she and her posse immediately dive into conversation, all giving the door furtive glances.

“I heard a rumor that-“ Shirley cuts off abruptly as the P.A. system turns on overhead.

Artemis, Sanae
    Their teacher, a tall, scarily thin and willowy man, one of the younger teachers, with his mop of blue-tinged hair and clear eyes, glances over as the two girls enter. Lt. Howland scowls as Sanae walks in, but the look disappears as he sees the second girl, merely nodding as he crosses the room and closes the door, locking it swiftly. Turning back to cross to his computer again, he pauses, suddenly taking notice of the flag Artemis is carrying. Some of the other students are looking on, baffled as to why she’s carrying it, but none have commented so far.

Clearly at a loss for the correct reaction, their teacher stares for a long while. One of the boys in class, Donovan Thariel, finally ventures to ask, “Feeling patriotic today, Artemis?” with a good-natured laugh. He’s joined by a few of the others in the classroom, though more of them seem confused than anything else. Their teacher clears his throat and makes a cutting motion with his hand, instantly quieting the room.

“Ms. Santillion, I’m going to have to-“

The opening chimes of an announcement interrupt him.
    All
    “Good morning, one and all!” The voice of the student body president, one Milly Ashford, sounds over the P.A. While normally cheery anyways, there’s a noticeably forced happiness in her tone. “Mily here, to bring some last-minute news. Students with a third-hour Physics class are to report not to their normal class rooms today, but instead to meet at the vehicle loop behind the central courtyard! More will be explained when we meet. Until then!” The announcement cuts off.

And isn’t it convenient that Artemis, Ren, Sanae, and Jin all share a third hour Physics class.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Sanae

Sanae more or less ignores the low-key commotion caused over Artrmis and the flag- Not my business- instead focusing on getting her notes and papers out for class. She does, however, glance up at the PA in surprise upon hearing the announcement. "Well, that's odd," she mutters aloud. That girl didn't seem especially happy to be delivering the news, either. I assume something disruptive must have happened, but why...?

On a whim, she glances around and pulls out her PDA, concealing it underneath her desk. (Sleight of Hand: (1d20+10)[20]) Sanae opens up the scanning app she's added on, giving a quick look at any activity presented. Bit of a long shot, but if there is some incident the guards' radios might be spiking from talking about it. Not that I can pull out my earpiece and listen in the middle of class, of course...

Once that's done, she stows the device again and settles back to a normal position, planning to have a relatively normal class bar further interruptions.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Jin Wu

It took a moment for the note to register. It took another few moments of awkward staring before Jin finally picked it up and started to look it over. The pencil slipped from his hand and rolled off his desk, clinking lightly on the floor.

He looked down. His eyes froze in place.

The scrap paper upon his desk.. He had apparently drawn a detailed sketch upon it.. without even noticing. He didn't even know he could draw. But there it was.. a garden scene. Only the garden was full of weeds, disfigured plants, and things that seemed to be flowers..but were covered in thorns.
    Yet in the thick of it, right in the center, was a pure flower. A smooth, leafy, thornless stalk, and rich, full petals. But all around it, scraggly vines and thorny branches reached for it, entwined around it's stalk, and threatened to choke it out. At the bottom, a phrase was written...

"Be not deceived: evil companions corrupt good morals."

It was then that the P.A. came on.

After the announcement played, Jin quickly folded up his slightly disturbed work of art and slipped it into his pocket. He placed the purple-haired girls' note in front of himself and slowly unfolded it for reading.
    As he did so, he spoke, intended to be towards his teacher, but he didn't lift his head for eye contact.

"Do you suppose we're meant to finish class first, wait until our third hour period? Or are we expected to go now?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Artemis

Artemis will smile innocently at the class and teacher, "Well, someone left this in front of a tree, and I thought I should keep it around until I found the owner. I can put it down somewhere if you like, Lieutenant? I don't really have anywhere else to put it"

26. - Top - End - #26

Ren

Ren looked over to answer Shirley just as the P.A. crackled on, the Presidents voice easily distinguishable immediately to the girl. There was a certain vibrancy missing from her announcement, but this could easily be chalked up as a very stressful day that would also explain the cancelled meeting. Any way you look at it though it wasn't her business. Despite being friends with Milly, she had no right to intrude on such matters unless she initiated it. Thinking positively, Ren knows now that at least she can skip out on her most hated class. Plus..a chance to watch the shenanigans unfold as they ALWAYS did would be amusing at the very least.

"Theirs your answer I guess, better go just to make sure she doesn't get carried away hmmm?" She asked Shirley rhetorically, already zoning the teacher out entirely in place of the possible events about to unfold.

~*~OOC~*~:

Spoiler
    Show
    It was necessary

Anyways sorry for being so late, I'm ready to carry on with full attention now. I expect insanity though, that and cupcakes and/or fanservice~

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ren
    “Yes, but-“

“Miss Fenette, is there a problem?” their teacher queries, voice flat and clearly unamused by the interruption. The girl blushes, quietly apologizing and sinking in to her seat. With that, she withdraws for the rest of the period, working on her notes but not again trying to initiate conversation. The hour moves on, but Ren’s attention is elsewhere, already thinking of the shenanigans that no doubt lie ahead for her and her classmates in two period’s time.

Sanae, Artemis
    Lt. Howland regards Artemis for a long moment and then waves his hand dismissively. “You may keep it with you, just make sure it doesn’t disrupt class,” and promptly turns back to the board, where he begins to go over their next essay assignment topic, as well as stopping occasionally to call on students, questioning them about their class-mandated reading. It makes for a dull and quiet class, much as it normally is, with little time for students to talk amongst themselves without being called on. Bored almost to tears, several of the students are nodding off, but trying their best to stay awake, knowing harsh punishment awaits them if they’re caught sleeping in class. Sanae’s scanning app woefully does not yield anything unusual.

Jin
    Note
    Spoiler
    Show
    I didn’t do anything in the courtyard of note, just showed human kindness. Isn’t that how we should all act?

P.S.: Do you like sandwiches?
    Sophie
    (the “i” is dotted with a heart)

Ms. Lancaster turns at Jin’s question, surprised, eyebrows aloft as her eyes go over the room, double-checking to see that he had, in fact, spoken. Purple-haired (Sophie?) moves her head, turning somewhat to look back at him for the question and then darts her eyes forward again.

“I believe Ms. Ashford meant that students were to report there during the normal time for a third-period class.” The teacher finally replies, flashing her teeth with a grin before turning back to her lesson with a flourish.

All
    The remainder of their periods flow by slowly, excitement buzzing through all students that are to be affected by the announcement, and many of those who won’t be but are merely curious. As the bell to end their second period finally tolls, students fill the hall with a rush. A certain electricity, the feeling of excitement, fills the student body and is reflected by their teachers, many curious eyes glancing out the windows to see the vehicle loop beyond.

Out at the designated area, leaning languidly against a picnic table and chatting two a blond-haired officer facing away from the area of approach is the student council president, one Milly Ashford. As the students begin to draw closer, the officer snaps a salute and turns, walking off away from the quickly gaining third-period physics students.

Seeing her classmates closing in, their president pushes off from the table and stands up straighter, hands planted on her hips firmly as she surveys her peers. Behind her, on the vehicle loop, a bright yellow bus lays in wait – the kind used for the public schools of the Area, not one that would normally belong to the private sector.

“Welcome, classmates!” Their president calls out, the undertone of excitement still sounding forced, but her smile is real.
    Last edited by Shadon; 2013-01-05 at 07:16 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Jin Wu

Jin squinted at the note. The very.. purple.. pretty.. note.. He blinked. Then slowly raised his pencil and scribbled, "Yeah..", after her question about sandwiches.

When the bell rang, he was quick to stand. He looked once at Sophie, then down to his desk, where his autonomously-crafted sketch was still lying. He stared for a moment at the rose among the weeds and thorns. Clasping Sophie's note, Jin pressed the purple ink firmly against his monochrome rose, and rubbed, smudging a messy streak of purple across the petals, and consequently ruining Sophie's beautiful handwriting.
    Quickly turning, he left his sketch on his desk, and dropped Sophie's note (with his one-word reply) on her desk. He didn't look over his shoulder as he left the room.

Soon enough, Jin was trailing behind the third-hour Physics class. His eyes drooped placidly, but his ears were mindful of the words their President spoke. Change in the midst of what should be routine always bothered him.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Sanae

As third hour begins, Sanae arrives at the green's vehicle loop, staying near the back of her congregating class. Eyes flickering over the scene, she takes in the bus, officer, and President without much surprise.

Glancing around, Sanae spots Artemis a short distance away, and makes her way over to the other girl after a small shrug, tapping her on the shoulder. "Looks like we're in for a field trip, then. Do you have any idea what this is about?" she murmurs.
    Last edited by delta639; 2013-01-09 at 12:19 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Artemis

Artemis looks at Milly with worry. Something's wrong, but I wonder if she'll admit it

She jumps a bit at Sanae's touch and turns to her "Oh, sorry, she didn't tell me anything yet. Didn't even tell me why the meeting was cancelled this morning. She did get a text right before she sent me and Rivalz off, maybe she just found out today." Stopping to think for a second she continues, "Could just go ask her" And with that Artemis heads over to Milly, "Hey, Milly! What's the surprise?"