New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: The Culture Explores 40K III: Just As Planned

Also, Canonically, Necron ships at full speed ARE undetectable to the IoM (unless there are lots and lots of powerful psykers working together to detect things, like at Terra), if we are using their hyperspace thing from the 3E codex, which talks quite a bit about their vessels.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2013-01-02 at 07:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

They mine plasma from stars to power a plasma fusion reactor.

*facepalm*

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

We try not to think too hard about it

4. - Top - End - #64

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    They mine plasma from stars to power a plasma fusion reactor.
    *facepalm*
    Everyone in the setting that uses plasma does that. :P All their plasma of any sort is mined from stars, and contained in [something]. Plasma guns use AND STORE refined plasma mined from stars (those guns? They are all plasma throwers / plasma casters), plasma generators and plasma reactors and fusion reactors all have SOMETHING to do with refined plasma mined from stars. There are plasma refining processes that make the plasma for that sort of thing better, so they power plasma generators or plasma reactors for longer... it's a pretty core part of the setting...

Basically, some of the people combined the idea of 'Fusion power is cool!' and 'Fusion power has something to do with plasma!' and 'Stars have stuff to do with plasma and fusion!' with, 'hey, let's make everyone stardive to fill up plasma for refining to be part of their plasma generators and plasma batteries and plasma throwers and such, and even be in everything from little plasma generators to the big plasma fusion power plants!' and 'Let's make plasma like petroleum products, since it what we know!'
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2013-01-02 at 09:45 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Culture makes a sales pitch:
    (to the background of a cheesy 90s rocket flying around a ridiculously small solar system on the back of what is obviously just a natural gas fire)
    You want fusion? We have fusion! Meet our new mark two anti-matter catalyzed inertial confinement fusion reactor! Four times the power density and a hundred times safer!
    No more catastrophic failures! Refuel from plain ice! Kiss goodbye to risky sundiving! And best of all... cheap and easy to maintain!

Get your new mark two fusion reactor today!

6. - Top - End - #66

Kobold

Damn near EVERYONE technological (IoM, Tau, Eldar, Necron, Chaos, etc.) would probably want a piece of that...

Can it produce the various plasma products that the different civilizations use as part of their supply chains?

And there probably were the water based plasma fusion at some point in the universe. Probably IoM Archeotech, Eldar at some point in their history, Tau are probably working on it... Necron might actually currently use it.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2013-01-02 at 09:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Damn near EVERYONE technological (IoM, Tau, Eldar, Necron, Chaos, etc.) would probably want a piece of that...

Can it produce the various plasma products that the different civilizations use as part of their supply chains?
    Probably.

More like, there would be another thing that converts various elements into whatever they need (da f- is plasma product anyway). That will use the power the fusion reactor produces to do its thing.
    After all, it's just a fusion reactor. Apart from funky stuff with neutrons, it only turns hydrogen into helium.

Culture noob salesman: That clearly worked! We should make all our technological trade pitches this way!
    Culture Mind: *facepalm*

And there probably were the water based plasma fusion at some point in the universe. Probably IoM Archeotech, Eldar at some point in their history, Tau are probably working on it... Necron might actually currently use it.
    Hello, the Necrons have antimatter confinement. Me thinks they outgrew fusion sometime back in the last couple of million years.
    Last edited by jseah; 2013-01-02 at 09:57 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

Kobold

Hello, the Necrons have antimatter confinement. Me thinks they outgrew fusion sometime back in the last couple of million years.
    Yea. Right. Of course... gotta remember the SMAC reactor progression!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Yea. Right. Of course... gotta remember the SMAC reactor progression!
    No, no, in SMAC antimatter is an armor material! For reactor tech past fusion, you're looking at quantum mechanics and then black holes.

I have no idea what they were thinking when they came up with antimatter plate as the second best defense in the game.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

10. - Top - End - #70

Kobold

I thought Quantum used Antimatter??

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    No, no, in SMAC antimatter is an armor material! For reactor tech past fusion, you're looking at quantum mechanics and then black holes.

I have no idea what they were thinking when they came up with antimatter plate as the second best defense in the game.
    Lol. Counter to antimatter armour plates: Shrapnel missiles

Death by glitter shower!

12. - Top - End - #72

Kobold

Lol. Counter to antimatter armour plates: Shrapnel missiles

Death by glitter shower!
    Oh come on, it probably just has antimatter used in the construction process. Matter Editation, the prerequisite tech, is matter-energy conversion, I think.

... Oh gawd...

http://forums.spacebattles.com/threa...in-40k.137495/

That's actually a decent thread, talks about some bits that we haven't talked about here. Of course the thread gets into bickering and back and forth, and they didn't behave quite as well as we did in our threads, but it's okay, I suppose.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2013-01-02 at 10:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Pardon me if I didn't read much past the second page. Got a bit too hot up in there.

So yeah, back to the point. How would it change the 40k setting if the Culture introduced a fusion reactor/torchdrive that refueled off water ice?

14. - Top - End - #74

Kobold

Pardon me if I didn't read much past the second page. Got a bit too hot up in there.

So yeah, back to the point. How would it change the 40k setting if the Culture introduced a fusion reactor/torchdrive that refueled off water ice?
    Introduced to whom?

Did they disguise it as archeotech (as a Monotask STC Constructor with a single edit: few STC Blueprints of generators of varying sizes, and a working example of the thing), and put it in front of a Mechanicus Explorator mission?

Do they just give it, openly, to the Tau?

Do they explain the methods to the Eldar, and they work up whatever they need to do to make it?

FYI, the stardiving thing is an extrapolation -- no one other than the Necrons have really been described as having WAY more advanced power plants and power generators than the Imperium. Eldar designs are smaller and more elegant, Tau are safer than all but the rarer types of Imperium power plants (though Tau maybe do use some non star based fusion, probably. Probably Helium-3 or something), and appear to sometimes use a different method... nothing radically different or better.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2013-01-02 at 11:11 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Handle any particular faction you care to. I don't think the Necrons will be impressed so we'll leave them out. But it's really a question of simplifying logistics.

With the ability to refuel from almost any asteroid, ships suddenly get alot more independent.

16. - Top - End - #76

Kobold

Yea, I'm sure the correct people in any tech based faction would want that. Though most factions would perhaps want to steal it. And if they could make it seem like they have evidence that Eldar used to have this capability (which certainly is plausible...), and humanity used to have that capability (again, plausible), than yea, it'd be a powerful carrot. But we've already established that simply giving tech to individuals isn't really a good way to ingratiate yourself with several factions (except the Tau), due to various social reasons. Just because some people would want it doesn't mean that it would dramatically improve the lives of several groups and profoundly change the way things are run, or spread the technology through the faction in question!

Heck, large scale orbital farming would dramatically improve the quality of life in the Imperium, what with hive worlds not having to rely on agri-worlds so much... but getting it actually USED in the Imperium, in a large scale? Hideously hard.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2013-01-03 at 12:11 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77

Kobold

Basically, if you want technology to improve the lives of people, or dramatically change how things are run in the Imperium, or even the Eldar... you need to change the power structures. Though using tech gifts to get on the good side of radical Magos or radical Inquisitors of certain bents would certainly work! The same could be said with individual Eldar who know legends of certain particular capabilities that their race had before the fall, and they personally want those capabilities back.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2013-01-03 at 12:13 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

The problem with changing power structures as well rooted as the IoM's and Eldar's are is that they tend to implode rather than change.

That is clearly something you don't want to do while Chaos is sniffing around.

------------------

I was more looking for strategic changes than social ones. IoM fleets can operate further and longer away from support, mobile maintenance bases for long term deployment becomes possible and generally logistics gets a bit simpler. Would that make the IoM any more aggressive than they already are?

Only after that, it starts to spill over into new applications like fusion-powered vertical farms on Hive worlds.

19. - Top - End - #79

Kobold

Well, remember. Even if they do disguise it as STC archeotech at some explorator dig site somewhere... the time it would take for the IoM to adopt it can probably be measured in centuries.

Though let's go further. By collating rumors, patterns in STC designs, legends, examples of archeotech, written reports, scans of planets, hacked mechanicum databases, examples of existing Imperium tech, etc. etc. ... The Culture could probably forge a very plausible Full STC., something that would revolutionize all aspects of Imperial technology, science, education, design, etc.

And such a thing would be waayyy below Culturetech.

But why would they? What would the point of doing that be? So the IoM gets more efficient and effective, over the next few centuries. Many minor Xenos races are exterminated. The tech all leaks to Chaos... what positive effect does that have???
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2013-01-03 at 12:46 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80

Kobold

Also, I like how you had an SC agent go rogue. Just remember, he won't be a completely different person, and he probably won't be hostile to The Culture. He should still have, for the most part, the same goals. But if he was made Orky, he'll be more interested in winning and strength and cunning and violent and extreme types of fun and using a direct means to do things. But the actual goals and viewpoints, otherwise shouldn't change too much.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

where are you getting the plasma mined from stars thing? I don't remember that.

I do remember one ice world bragging about mining some component needed to make plasma games guns.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2013-01-03 at 02:29 AM.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

22. - Top - End - #82

Kobold

From the RPG. It may also be mentioned elsewhere.

Also, FE check your post for typos.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2013-01-03 at 01:31 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    plasma games.
    I'm sorry, my natural language parser seems to have broken. Mind explaining this? =P

24. - Top - End - #84

Kobold

I'm sorry, my natural language parser seems to have broken. Mind explaining this? =P
    Probably typo / autocorrect error.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Typo, fixed now.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

26. - Top - End - #86

Kobold

Been reading path of the seer, and almost exactly 1/4 the way through the book, it talks about the webway, what it looks like, and how the Eldar make temporary passages and extensions through it. Go look up those parts of the book!

They can extend temporary tunnels, even big enough for a battleship, but those have to go near where the Webway already goes.

Reading this I'm not 100% sure about the previous stuff I mentioned regarding the Webway... have you read this whole book, jseah?

Also, it has a scene that shows bonesingers at work building a starship! And Eldar definitely mine gems, I think. Though I suppose they could.grow them. They'd need the raw material from something..
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2013-01-03 at 04:37 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Reading this I'm not 100% sure about the previous stuff I mentioned regarding the Webway... have you read this whole book, jseah?
    I read all of Path of the Warrior and skimmed Path of the Seer. Missed the bit about the webway (only saw Path of the Warrior's description of it), read the part where they grew a starship.

I would fix that situation but I'm currently in the middle of a psychology book so =P
    Last edited by jseah; 2013-01-03 at 04:52 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

part 9.5 Orks
    Spoiler
    Show
    Week 3
    While all the drone citizens do not display orkish traits, there is beginning to be an internal division between the organic citizens who have been excluded from the ork influence and those who have taken up the traits. Considering the worsening situation onboard, this GCU Large Sticks Speak Softly is formally requesting backup. This request has been made without the knowledge of my organic crew.

The level of sophistication of the Orks on the planet is apparently increasing. The SC agent now physically present and acting as Warboss (and that I see no point in removing) appears to still be continuing the original plan to decrease aggression and increase intelligence. For now, the situation is stable and does not look to be worsening.

----------------

It seems that conclusions were reached too early. Further analysis indicates some deviation. The Warboss is aiming to channel the aggression of the orks and maintaining discipline, instead of curbing the aggression. Current potential outlets for this aggression are unknown.

Given the way this is progressing, we still do not know if the change is a threat to our plans. The SC agent does not apparently hold any animosity towards the Culture and in fact appears to be progressing along the original lines, if slightly flawed.

Nevertheless, we recommend caution and watchfulness over the Orks. We understand that an ROU has been dispatched and a GCU will be surveying within three hours of this system and appreciate the backup.
    Last edited by jseah; 2013-01-03 at 01:29 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

A bit of a side question: If the Warp is closed, as in the God Emperor's master plan, does this eliminate the abilities of psykers and the technomagic of the Orks? Because if so the Culture could eliminate most of its problems by simply eliminating religion in the galaxy.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    A bit of a side question: If the Warp is closed, as in the God Emperor's master plan, does this eliminate the abilities of psykers and the technomagic of the Orks? Because if so the Culture could eliminate most of its problems by simply eliminating religion in the galaxy.
    We decided earlier (in thread 1) that the Warp is required for organic sentient life. If the Warp is cut off, only inorganic Culture citizens and the Necrons will remain. This is unsatisfactory, call it a Pyrrhic victory.