New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar Questions Thread! (You ask, I'll answer)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Grazz't and Pale Night have a rather exceptional relationship for demons, so don't dismiss it - oh, and UNLIKE Fierna and Belial, they're not basing it on incest either.
    Maybe. (as for the incest, since Pale Night is incoporeal, how would that even work, barring ghostwalk-related spells and abilities? -- No need to answer that, afro.)

On the other hand, I remember reading somewhere that Grazz't is actually a "fallen" devil, am I misremembering, or is there some basis to that?
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

I seem to recall that the whole Grazz't being a fallen devil/lawful demon (I forget which one) concept was introduced in 4e, and is not present in the fluff of any of the editions before that one. I may be wrong, though.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

So, we've spoken before about how Grazz't is the son of Pale Night (the only son?)
    No. Vucarik and Lupercio, as well as at least one daughter, Zivorgian.

and how he still thinks quite well of/loves his mother. However, I'm unclear on if the two have an alliance. Is the affection mutual? Do they trust each other? And if so, does that mean that any being or coalition that wishes to wage war on one of them must inevitably face down the other as well?
    They don't have a real alliance; Pale Night is allied only with Baphomet. Grazz't visits her infrequently.

Grazz't and Pale Night have a rather exceptional relationship for demons, so don't dismiss it - oh, and UNLIKE Fierna and Belial, they're not basing it on incest either.
    Which is pretty exceptional, given that Graz'zt is who he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    On the other hand, I remember reading somewhere that Grazz't is actually a "fallen" devil, am I misremembering, or is there some basis to that?
    Zero basis.

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    I seem to recall that the whole Grazz't being a fallen devil/lawful demon (I forget which one) concept was introduced in 4e, and is not present in the fluff of any of the editions before that one. I may be wrong, though.
    4E has many fluff problems. Hence we're here in the 3.5 side, and let's not jump into any edition wars please.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2013-01-19 at 11:23 PM.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 123456789blaaa View Post
    I seem to remember a theory that put humans as the descendants of changelings who were themselves the descendants of doppelgangers. Their was one more shapeshifter before doppelganger but I can't remember what it was. I can only remember that it's name started with P. Do you have any idea what it could be? (it would have to be an even better shapeshifter than a doppelganger)
    It was almost certainly the Phasm, which has 15 HD and is a much better shapeshifter than a Doppelganger. If you want to run with this theory, I recommend going one step further and saying that the Phasm descends from the Teratomorph, a 28-HD Gargantuan Ooze in the Monster Manual 2 (it's 3.0 so you'd have to adapt it, but comparing a 3.0 MM1's Phasm with the modern version might make that easier). The Teratomorph does not shapeshift, but it has the same general "boiling mass of undifferentiated matter" thing going on as the Phasm, so it wouldn't be an insanely huge stretch to say that Phasms were small Teratomorphs who managed to gain control over their unstable bodies, and have been crystallizing into smaller and solider bodies over the centuries.

In response to a question that asked why the daelkyr look like humans, Keith Baker said that the real question was...why do humans look so much like the daelkyr . Would you care to speculate on the answer?
    I speculate that Keith Baker thinks he's funny....

5. - Top - End - #755
    Troll in the Playground

Well, as an alternate ancestor of the phasm, there's the Protean (I think?) It's in the epic level handbook, though not in the SRD with the rest of the epic monsters there. It's kinda like the Phasm, but with more body horror and on steroids, BGH, and energy shots.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Banned

Well, as an alternate ancestor of the phasm, there's the Protean (I think?) It's in the epic level handbook, though not in the SRD with the rest of the epic monsters there. It's kinda like the Phasm, but with more body horror and on steroids, BGH, and energy shots.
    It's in the book under the name "Hagunemnon (Protean)" for some reason, but yeah. Pretty yicky, not at all like the colorful phasm, but closer to the implied malevolence of a doppelganger.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    It's in the book under the name "Hagunemnon (Protean)" for some reason, but yeah. Pretty yicky, not at all like the colorful phasm, but closer to the implied malevolence of a doppelganger.
    Hmm, it is in the SRD as well, just didn't notice it. (gee, maybe I should get some sleep, eh?) In anycase, it seems to be similiar to a chaos beast, too. At least, it's destabalise form ability seems vaugely similiar.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

8. - Top - End - #758
    Colossus in the Playground

I have to ask:

Why the hate for the Oinoloth? I must admit, I don't know too much about him, but I don't remember any particularly gigantic incompetence.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

It was almost certainly the Phasm
    Well, as an alternate ancestor of the phasm, there's the Protean
    Guys, come on, I said both of these things. Willpell, this is not the first time you've come swinging in after the fact with an answer I already gave. I don't want a reply, I'd just like to know that people aren't going to keep bringing old questions up at the end of the line to answer themselves.

And no, teratomorphs are not the ancestors of anything. They're very young, cosmically speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I have to ask:

Why the hate for the Oinoloth? I must admit, I don't know too much about him, but I don't remember any particularly gigantic incompetence.
    The Oinoloth tends to claim power that the rest of the race doesn't accord it. It enforces this power with the abilities of the office and the Siege Malicious, which in turn leaves its mark on the Oinoloth to highlight him as an aberration. The General of Gehenna is the figure most yugoloths look to as the champion and leader of the race (Bubonix, who likes to style himself the Overlord of Carceri, is not in the running). There's also bad blood thanks to the previous office-holder, a mutant who sold himself to the night hags for power and wielded an artifact loathsome (and valuable) to any fiend.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    The Oinoloth tends to claim power that the rest of the race doesn't accord it. It enforces this power with the abilities of the office and the Siege Malicious, which in turn leaves its mark on the Oinoloth to highlight him as an aberration. The General of Gehenna is the figure most yugoloths look to as the champion and leader of the race.
    I thought I remembered the MOTP section on Gehenna saying that the General is respected "exactly as far as his reach extends and no further". Which doesn't make it sound as though the Oinoloth is any different. (By the way, I don't know - is Oinoloth a title of office, or is he a distinct species of yugg like all the other "-loths"? And if so, is he the only member of that species? Is he perhaps attempting to become his race's first arch-fiend by experimenting with foreign power sources?)

Guys, come on, I said both of these things. Willpell, this is not the first time you've come swinging in after the fact with an answer I already gave.
    In this case, I was trying to expand on your answer, and give the theory under discussion a bit more credence than you seemed willing to.
    Last edited by willpell; 2013-01-20 at 09:49 AM.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

I thought I remembered the MOTP section on Gehenna saying that the General is respected "exactly as far as his reach extends and no further".
    Nope. It says he rules (directly) to the limits of his reach, and that yugoloths elsewhere may act independently. Which is what one must expect of creatures of pure, scheming evil. However, he is respected, feared, answered to by any who enter his sphere of influence and - most importantly - is recognized by the 'loths themselves as their leader.

Which doesn't make it sound as though the Oinoloth is any different. (By the way, I don't know - is Oinoloth a title of office, or is he a distinct species of yugg like all the other "-loths"? And if so, is he the only member of that species? Is he perhaps attempting to become his race's first arch-fiend by experimenting with foreign power sources?)
    Altraloths are the race's archfiends, to the extent that they have any. Oinoloth is a title derived from the first gloom of Hades, Oinos, where Khin-Oin is situated. The current Oinoloth is not an altraloth.

12. - Top - End - #762

One could perhaps also extend the title Archfiend to those Baerns that are still more or less active.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

One could perhaps also extend the title Archfiend to those Baerns that are still more or less active.
    Baernaloths don't actually have that degree of power, which is why they're not recognized as such. In many ways, the baernaloths did fill the role, but now the masters of the race are the masters of the planes of conflict (again, Bubonix hasn't mastered a thing, ignore him).

14. - Top - End - #764
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd never heard of Pale Night's other (named) children - what's their story?

Would the political situation in the Abyss change significantly if Orcus managed to achieve true godhood? Would that put him out of the running for the title of Prince of Demonkind?

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

15. - Top - End - #765
    Bugbear in the Playground

How would one steal the Pact Primeval? Additionally, if successful, how difficult would it be to alter or destroy it even if was in your possession?
    There is the moral of all human tales;
    'Tis but the same rehearsal of the past.
    First freedom and then Glory - when that fails,
    Wealth, vice, corruption - barbarism at last.
    And History, with all her volumes vast,
    Hath but one page...

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

What is an Ancient Baatorian and why is it a bad idea to let them achieve adulthood?
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2013-01-20 at 12:14 PM.
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

I'd never heard of Pale Night's other (named) children - what's their story?
    Lupercio, Baron of Sloth, rules the 128th layer of the Abyss, known as Slugbed. A capricious beast of alternating lassitude and manic energy, he is served and surrounded by shadow fiends.

Vucarik, Consort of Chains, rules Nethuria, the 651st layer of the Abyss. He is covered head to toe in rusting metal, and bears enchanted chains as his favored weapons. Vucarik wanders the Abyss and nearby planes at his leisure, preceded by the clanking of chains, and his horde tries to conscript those they encounter.

Rhyxali may or may not be a child of Pale Night; evidence is leaning toward yes. She is Princess of Shadow, ruling over her chosen from Shaddonon, the 49th layer.

Zivorgian, the Lady of Ripe Carrion, is a vulturesque, three-headed mockery of an angelic figure. Little is known about her.

Would the political situation in the Abyss change significantly if Orcus managed to achieve true godhood?
    Ehh, marginally. It would put the other two on high alert, and it would change the dynamics of Lolth's interactions with the rest.

Would that put him out of the running for the title of Prince of Demonkind?
    Yes and no. He wouldn't be able to gain the benefits of the title, nebulous as they are... but he could claim it (not by achieving godhood, but via some other act) and in doing so impose its powers on the rest in the sense of preventing them from having it.

18. - Top - End - #768

Ehh, marginally. It would put the other two on high alert, and it would change the dynamics of Lolth's interactions with the rest.
    Could you go into more detail on this? Why would him becoming a god put the other two on high alert? WHy and how would Loths interactions with the rest change?

Yes and no. He wouldn't be able to gain the benefits of the title, nebulous as they are... but he could claim it (not by achieving godhood, but via some other act) and in doing so impose its powers on the rest in the sense of preventing them from having it.
    What exactly are the benefits of the title?

19. - Top - End - #769
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Menteith View Post
    How would one steal the Pact Primeval?
    Very carefully. There are only three copies, and the location of only one of them is known: Tabjari, the hidden fortress built specifically to protect it. Asmodeus' copy is guarded by a labyrinth of traps and a host of powerful mortal cultists, and the item itself is trapped in a gigantic ruby too large to physically pass through the doors. The vault itself is flooded with powerful wards and auras that are only reinforced by the energies spilling from the Pact.

Additionally, if successful, how difficult would it be to alter or destroy it even if was in your possession?
    Altering the Pact would be functionally the same as destroying it. Whatever its actual content, the Pact is a powerful artifact of Law and would not be subject to any conventional alteration.

I should point out that even stealing the Pact would be an incredible act of Chaos, and a lot of powerful forces would know very quickly if that had happened, let alone if it were destroyed. Also, there are the two more copies, so removing any one alone won't break the Pact, whatever it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    What is an Ancient Baatorian and why is it a bad idea to let them achieve adulthood?
    Ancient baatorians are the original inhabitants of Baator, who predated the baatezu, similar to how the obyriths predated the tanar'ri. Unlike the tanar'ri, though, baatezu are not the native form of souls that enter Hell. The baatezu are conquerors of a plane that doesn't truly serve them, and they worry about letting baatorians form anew without their knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by 123456789blaaa View Post
    Could you go into more detail on this? Why would him becoming a god put the other two on high alert? WHy and how would Loths interactions with the rest change?
    Well, the other two are not gods. Orcus would have more power on the Material Plane to crush their cults, and more personal power to pressure his foes with.

Lolth has a special role among the preeminent lords of the Abyss, as she's one of their number in addition to being a goddess ("Demon Queen of Spiders"). As the only deity in the "gang," she's got special influence and a unique role in Abyssal politics, one that she'd start to feel crowded out of if there was suddenly a new god in town.

What exactly are the benefits of the title?
    What part of "nebulous" don't you understand?

The only fairly well-established benefit of the title is that its "holder" is impossible for any demon to surpass in power. That doesn't mean there aren't ways to cheat around that, or that the concept of "power" itself is somehow defined with regard to this effect, or that the current Prince of Demons is invincible. Obox-ob lost the title to a surprise all-out attack from the Queen of Chaos, who was weaker than he.

20. - Top - End - #770

Hm. This makes me think.

Several of the dukes of hell are mentioned to have mortal cults of various sizes going on. What do you think would happen if one of them *really* got into the cultist game and got enough to become a minor deity? What would Asmodeus think of that?

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

The Ancient Baatorians, Where Might one find fluff/Stats for those?
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. This makes me think.
    ♫ Eldan, I'm afraid you've been thinking...

♪ A dangerous pastime...

Several of the dukes of hell are mentioned to have mortal cults of various sizes going on. What do you think would happen if one of them *really* got into the cultist game and got enough to become a minor deity? What would Asmodeus think of that?
    Are we talking dukes, or archdukes? I can't think of a duke with a cult of any significance at all.

Asmodeus would be... less than pleased... if one of the archdukes became a god, which is why he pressures them to direct worship through their cults toward himself or to Hell generally. Nonetheless, some of them skim off the top, particularly Mephistopheles. An archduke becoming a deity would certainly engender a war in Hell if he or she had ambitions to attack Asmodeus, and though the Lord Below would likely win that one, it could become rather ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance View Post
    The Ancient Baatorians, Where Might one find fluff/Stats for those?
    One might not. Fluff for ancient baatorians is very rare; stats all but nonexistent. You could go track down stats for a nupperibo, but that's about it. *waiting to see who says it, won't say what it is*

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ettin in the Playground

One might not. Fluff for ancient baatorians is very rare; stats all but nonexistent.
    I have 3 questions:

1. You're a homebrewer, right?
    2. Can you guess what my next question is going to be (before reading it)?
    3. Could you make some fluff/stats for ancient baatorians?
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2013-01-20 at 02:55 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon-freak89 View Post
    I have 3 questions:

You're a homebrewer, right?
    Theoretically.

Can you guess what my next question is going to be (before reading it)?
    I can indeed! I am wise!

Now then, where's your third question?

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon-freak89 View Post
    Could you make some fluff/stats for ancient baatorians?

EDIT: Just throwing this out there, but after reading through all the Q&A of this thread I no longer trust any other source for planar knowledge, but AfroAkuma.
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2013-01-20 at 03:00 PM.
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

26. - Top - End - #776

How can Bytopia be counted as two infinite layers? It seems to me that it's one layer with a gravity change at the center.
    white text is the bestest you might want to look for it
    DeviantART

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    Just throwing this out there, but after reading through all the Q&A of this thread I no longer trust any other source for planar knowledge, but AfroAkuma.
    Well thank you for the compliment!

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Tortoise View Post
    How can Bytopia be counted as two infinite layers? It seems to me that it's one layer with a gravity change at the center.
    Planes have different rules for passing between layers; that's the rule for Bytopia. Bytopia is infinitely deep and infinitely two-dimensional, but there's an upward limiter. The plane also creates strange and unique pressures that keep the two layers distinct; just because you can fly doesn't mean you'll want to cross over in that fashion. The two layers are very distinct, and have magical properties to match.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2013-01-20 at 03:21 PM.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

1)
    Who in the Abyss Actually Has the largest army, Total?
    (Counting Fiends, Cultists, And anything else)

2) Are their any NAMED Armies of the Abyss?

3) By Nuppibario, Please tell me you dont mean THIS?
    Spoiler
    Show

4) I 2nd that Fluff/Statting of the ancient Baatoraians.
    Last edited by ShadowFireLance; 2013-01-20 at 04:10 PM.
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ettin in the Playground

I can indeed! I am wise!

Now then, where's your third question?
    ...That was almost as surreally hilarious as your Slaad impression. Almost.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance View Post
    1)
    Who in the Abyss Actually Has the largest army, Total?
    (Counting Fiends, Cultists, And anything else)
    Well, technically that would be Obox-ob, but that's probably cheating.

I could also have said Kostchtchie, but that would also be cheating.

There does not appear to be an official answer; major contenders would include Demogorgon, Graz'zt, Orcus and Pazuzu. In her time of power, the Queen of Chaos commanded by far and away the largest army of the Abyss.

2) Are their any NAMED Armies of the Abyss?
    Ehh, some demon lords name battalions or legions, but given what they tend to do with their armies (bash them against other armies until there's nothing left) there's not really much point. Please don't ask for a list.

3) By Nuppibario, Please tell me you dont mean THIS?
    I could tell you that, but it would be a lie.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2013-01-20 at 06:10 PM.