Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar Questions Thread! (You ask, I'll answer)

Emotion can represent a powerful jolt, especially at the godly level, but no, resentment over Corellon's affairs wouldn't have been enough without some extra "help."

2. - Top - End - #962
    Banned

If, for some reason, in some kind of detached way, a deity wanted to change, are there measures they could take to cause such an impetus, or could they gradually shift over time (that desire entering into the feedback loop and reinforcing itself, maybe)? Or is the desire to change itself impossible for them?

3. - Top - End - #963
    Firbolg in the Playground

Alright, so we established in chat that if Vecna's (former) phylactery still existed it wouldn't be much of a threat to the God of Secrets, and any attempt to use it to hide from him via sympathetic magic would probably be laughable. However, would you conjecture that it could form a third artifact related to Vecna, the way his (formerly mortal) hand and eye now do?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

4. - Top - End - #964
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Answerer View Post
    If, for some reason, in some kind of detached way, a deity wanted to change, are there measures they could take to cause such an impetus, or could they gradually shift over time (that desire entering into the feedback loop and reinforcing itself, maybe)? Or is the desire to change itself impossible for them?
    There are certain elements that a deity can... isolate, for lack of a better word, though it has its risks. There are also long processes of very gradual shifting, which provide a slow but positive reinforcement. The most efficacious way would be to change how one is believed in and worshiped, as belief impacts the nature of a deity and taking on new aspects can result in core alterations.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Alright, so we established in chat that if Vecna's (former) phylactery still existed it wouldn't be much of a threat to the God of Secrets, and any attempt to use it to hide from him via sympathetic magic would probably be laughable. However, would you conjecture that it could form a third artifact related to Vecna, the way his (formerly mortal) hand and eye now do?
    I wouldn't, but then, I'm not interested in it. You could certainly conjecture that, if you wanted to, and there's no evidence to suggest otherwise. Some people already do conjecture that his phylactery is an artifact already connected to him...

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ogre in the Playground

Mister afroakuma, Are we ignoreing me?
    If so, What did I do wrong?
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #966
    Troll in the Playground

Are slaad capable of music?

Are slaad capable of making words rhyme?

Did a slaad write this?
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance View Post
    Mister afroakuma, Are we ignoreing me?
    If so, What did I do wrong?
    You did ask me to be thorough. That takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon-freak89 View Post
    Are slaad capable of music?
    Why yes they are.

Are slaad capable of making words rhyme?
    Depends on the ends are we friends got the bends who defends our girlfriends commends that which mends and rends and intends to extend to weekends the stipends which we spend to amend tender blends are the trend portend some godsends and append a backbend we'll contend that I'll spend to vend a bookend and pretend you offend banana trans-continental wolverine dynamite ophthalmologist echolocation sauerkraut diatribe.

Did a slaad write this?
    I can neither confirm nor deny that Neil Cicierega is a slaadi.

Nor Michael Bublé, murderer of rare Russian creatures.

Nor Gotye, abuser of other people's simians and cervids.

Nor Ludacris and the Bee Gees, powerful sorcerers versed in obscure methods of arcane poultry.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    You did ask me to be thorough. That takes time.
    OOOOoookay, Then, Sorry!
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

9. - Top - End - #969
    Banned

Do Chaotic Neutral people go to Limbo when they die? Can they potentially turn into slaads (other than by catching blue slaad disease)?

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the Boundless is entirely timeless; you could spend any amount of time there, leave and it would be no more than a second after you entered. I really wouldn't recommend doing that, though. Or going there ever. There's a breakdown of time in the Black Abyss, but also a breakdown of you. The Demiplane of Dread also tends to return its temporary guests mere moments after their entry, but again, that's not a trip you want to make. Any demiplane with associated with time as a universal force is likely to be very dangerous about entry; it could work in the way you ask, but it's just as likely that it'll go in the other direction entirely.
    Mmmmm...the Boundless could be used once if you need to take a few levels, craft powerful equipment and research new spells to beat the Big Bad, but you would have to do all that there, during your first visit...Is there many adventuring stuff within there, that could allow you to gain xp and treasure?.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Banned

What is The Boundless?

12. - Top - End - #972
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Do Chaotic Neutral people go to Limbo when they die? Can they potentially turn into slaads (other than by catching blue slaad disease)?
    Some do, and yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    Mmmmm...the Boundless could be used once if you need to take a few levels, craft powerful equipment and research new spells to beat the Big Bad, but you would have to do all that there, during your first visit...Is there many adventuring stuff within there, that could allow you to gain xp and treasure?.
    There is no adventuring to be had within the Boundless. Only what you take in with you, and nothing more. You can't "prime" it either.

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    What is The Boundless?
    The Boundless is a mysterious demiplane of particularly creepy nature. The first time you enter, it's a landscape of small islands in a viscous sea. The water has healing properties. You'll be there alone; nothing lives there, and everything experiences the Boundless separately. You cannot remove anything from the Boundless that came from there, so the healing water is out of reach for anyone who does not personally enter. Upon leaving, you reappear at almost the exact instant you entered, no matter how long you spent in the plane.

The second time you enter, nothing has changed, but any evidence of your having been there (or anyone else having been there) is gone. This time, the water has rejuvenating properties, taking years of age from you. This second visit had better be worth it, however, because once you leave, you will be linked to the Boundless in an eerie way.

From then on, whenever you try to use the curtains of the Ethereal Plane to pass between planes, you will find the ethereal curtain for the Boundless very near. Whenever you enter the Ethereal, that curtain will be waiting nearby. Not so close that you could accidentally step into it without warning, but trip at the wrong time and you'll surely pass through.

Nobody who has entered the Boundless a third time has ever returned, and no sign of them has ever been found by those who come after.

13. - Top - End - #973

What planar destinations would be popular or evocative for duels to the death?

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

14. - Top - End - #974
    Troll in the Playground

Why is the Plane of War (Asgard) exactly opposite the Other Plane of War (Acheron)? They're awfully similar in concept...
    Show
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

Explanation here.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Ever read Sandman?
    "It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players..."

--Gygax

16. - Top - End - #976
    Titan in the Playground

What planar destinations would be popular or evocative for duels to the death?
    Not Ysgard. "So, uh, best 2 out of 3?"

Pandemonium would have a certain hellish, empty "just you, me and the howling wind" quality, Arcadia would be good for a very regimented and honorable duel, I could see Avalas or Ocanthus being good locales (you'd want to go to Zoronor, though, not stand outside in the deathstorm). And then of course, if it's a battle of pure martial prowess, you can hardly do better than near the Spire where magic doesn't work.

Planning Immortal Kombat, are we?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon-freak89 View Post
    Why is the Plane of War (Asgard) exactly opposite the Other Plane of War (Acheron)? They're awfully similar in concept...
    Ysgard is the plane of heroic prowess, of personal triumph in a wild and fierce land of PERILS! Happy perils, that is. Daring rescues. Ferocious monsters. Damsels in this dress. Or this dress. Or this one. Or... etc. Gentleman Adventurers out for the girl and the glory (or Gentlewoman Adventuresses out for the guy and the glory, or whatever else floats one's boat) are the spirit of Ysgard.

Acheron is its opposite: there is no individuality, no triumph, no heroism. Acheron is The Harshness. It's impersonal and filled with bitter truth. There are barracks, heavily regimented; armies, extremely uniform; battles, bloody and quite often futile; and there are no second chances. The wars of Acheron are driven and orderly, but there is a sense of deep dissatisfaction and disconnect. The wars of Ysgard are basically sports, and everyone wants to show off, have a bloody good time and get drunk - sometimes with the "enemy" once the day's bloodshed is done.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LeshLush View Post
    Ever read Sandman?
    I was given Preludes & Nocturnes for Christmas, and am now looking into getting the rest.

18. - Top - End - #978

Not Ysgard. "So, uh, best 2 out of 3?"

Pandemonium would have a certain hellish, empty "just you, me and the howling wind" quality, Arcadia would be good for a very regimented and honorable duel, I could see Avalas or Ocanthus being good locales (you'd want to go to Zoronor, though, not stand outside in the deathstorm). And then of course, if it's a battle of pure martial prowess, you can hardly do better than near the Spire where magic doesn't work.

Planning Immortal Kombat, are we?
    A duel to the death between a wizard and the lich who tortured her into insanity for decades until her mind broke, then unleashed her on an unsuspecting world.

My extended homebrew sig

19. - Top - End - #979

I was given Preludes & Nocturnes for Christmas, and am now looking into getting the rest.
    When asked to summarize Sandman into a single sentence, its author said this: "Morpheus learns that he must change or die, and makes his choice." It deals with a lot of the themes your question evoked.

My extended homebrew sig

20. - Top - End - #980
    Banned

A duel to the death between a wizard and the lich who tortured her into insanity for decades until her mind broke, then unleashed her on an unsuspecting world.
    Wouldn't a duel to the death with a lich be a bit... not really a thing? I mean, unless for some reason the lich was giving up a huge part of his template and wearing his phylactery, or the thing'd already been smashed...

21. - Top - End - #981

Wouldn't a duel to the death with a lich be a bit... not really a thing? I mean, unless for some reason the lich was giving up a huge part of his template and wearing his phylactery, or the thing'd already been smashed...
    She, ah...

Well, she pitched it into Ravenloft, to put not too fine a point on it. After much expense, effort, struggle, and then walking through the Ethereal she pitched it into Ravenloft. She doesn't really care if he doesn't die for real. She wants him to suffer.

My extended homebrew sig

22. - Top - End - #982
    Banned

Acheron is its opposite: there is no individuality, no triumph, no heroism. Acheron is The Harshness. It's impersonal and filled with bitter truth. There are barracks, heavily regimented; armies, extremely uniform; battles, bloody and quite often futile; and there are no second chances. The wars of Acheron are driven and orderly, but there is a sense of deep dissatisfaction and disconnect.
    More succinctly, when they say War is Hell, they actually mean it's a bit to the north.

23. - Top - End - #983

How does the varying genie's being both elementaly and alingment-bound effect the planes as a whole? As in, how do these powerful elementaly associated creatures being divided onto different sides and power levels effect cosmic relations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

24. - Top - End - #984
    Ogre in the Playground

I found a funny thing:
    Is Asmodeas really a giant blob/Horrible thing at the bottom of Nesseus?
    I now know the idiocy of my question, Asmodeas is what he wants to be...
    Last edited by ShadowFireLance; 2013-01-27 at 12:38 AM.
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #985
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance View Post
    I found a funny thing:
    Is Asmodeas really a giant blob/Horrible thing at the bottom of Nesseus?
    He's horrible, but I highly doubt he's a blob.
    Show
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

Explanation here.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    How does the varying genie's being both elementaly and alingment-bound effect the planes as a whole?
    They're not actually "bound" by their alignments; they're just so prevalent and inherent to the natures of the genies in question that it's considered a given. Their elemental nature informs their alignment, rather than the other way around. Note that they don't have alignment subtypes.

As in, how do these powerful elementaly associated creatures being divided onto different sides and power levels effect cosmic relations?
    Oh, they definitely take sides... to an extent. Efreet, for example, negotiate with Hell a great deal. Dao ally with the efreet. Djinn oppose the efreet. Marids are self-absorbed and crazy. Still, by and large the genies prefer to war among themselves than take sides on a cosmic scale, and like the most ludicrous squabbling families, will all turn on an interloper who dares get in the middle of it all.

27. - Top - End - #987

When are the defenses of Mechanus 'weakest'? During a Modron March, when its legions are absent?

My extended homebrew sig

28. - Top - End - #988
    Titan in the Playground

When are the defenses of Mechanus 'weakest'? During a Modron March, when its legions are absent?
    Self-answering questions are so easy.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Troll in the Playground

Toaster linguine lunar-eclipse Quasimodo antidisestablishmentarianism cake?
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2013-01-27 at 02:38 PM.
    Show
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

Explanation here.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Bugbear in the Playground

What is the creature at the other end of a Bag of Devouring? Is there a way to interact with this interplanar predator outside of the BoD appendages?
    There is the moral of all human tales;
    'Tis but the same rehearsal of the past.
    First freedom and then Glory - when that fails,
    Wealth, vice, corruption - barbarism at last.
    And History, with all her volumes vast,
    Hath but one page...