New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1485
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar Questions Thread! (You ask, I'll answer)

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Tortoise View Post
    At least they're not immune to almost every conceivable form of attack like they were in AD&D.
    Now they're just immune to every commonly-used form of attack.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    ...you're on my list now.
    Was bound to happen eventually

After having done the required research to confirm this (I hate you), I can say with certitude that yes they were always just blinged-out skulls. That's what a demilich is; the physical residue and personal guardian of an ascended lich's possessions. "Demilich" doesn't actually refer to the lich in question at all, any more than "snake" refers to the shedded skin of that particular reptile. If what you're looking for is the actual psyche and soul of an ascended lich, there's no name for that and it has never been statted.
    What is a Paralich? The Immortal's Handbook makes a reference to this type of Lich, however I cannot find any information on this, so I figured that it either:

A) Does not exist.
    B) Exist, but is lightly talked about if ever.

I hhhhhhhhhate you.
    It's comments like these that make me feel like I'm not welcome here
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    It's comments like these that make me feel like I'm not welcome here
    Don't worry, it's well known that afroakuma is a veritable incarnation of rage and hatred.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Banned

Acerak is a vestige now....

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Bugbear in the Playground

Answerer is a cool name. But why not Fragarach, a cooler name?
    white text is the bestest you might want to look for it
    DeviantART

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Answerer View Post
    Don't worry, it's well known that afroakuma is a veritable incarnation of rage and hatred.
    Ah, so he's just like regular Akuma... except with an Afro
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Tortoise View Post
    Answerer is a cool name. But why not Fragarach, a cooler name?
    Oooh, I wasn't aware of that. My name comes from the rapier found in the Ogre Battle Saga games, which was apparently based upon Fragarach, but I did not know this. I agree, it's a quite cool name. I'll keep it in mind in the future.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ah, so he's just like regular Akuma... except with an Afro
    The afro makes it more intense and suffused with afro power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Titan in the Playground

What is a Paralich? The Immortal's Handbook makes a reference to this type of Lich, however I cannot find any information on this, so I figured that it either:
    :
    That would be the 'infinite monkeys smashing together infinite numbers and calling it monster design' Immortal's Handbook? If so, I think you can safely assume nothing in there is to be considered canon for anything else.

10. - Top - End - #1240

Hey, you have an afro too!
    white text is the bestest you might want to look for it
    DeviantART

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    So such an ascended lich is essentially a non-entity, much like an overpower that never actually shows itself or does anything as far as primes, planars, or powers can tell, correct? Or is there something to suggest that any of them have interacted with the multiverse at large in a perceivable fashion?
    Well, we don't exactly know what they are, or where. We do know that the demilich separation is a form of astral projection, and a few of them have cropped up near their heads now and again. They may exist in a form we'd recognize but which has not been revealed to be the ascended spirit. They are powerful, but not to the point of being a non-entity.

The references to ascension are never more than a few vague words on the subject and go back to the earliest appearances of demliches, right?
    Correct.

A) Does not exist.
    There you go.

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Acerak is a vestige now....
    Yes, I'm aware that Acererak is a vestige now. Comes of being an astral entity trying to merge essences with the whole Negative Energy Plane and instead failing, being dispersed and refusing to die.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Firbolg in the Playground

How common are dragons on the planes? Do planar races consider them "just another mortal" or are they respected/feared/held in awe the way humanoids hold them? What might entice an otherwise Material Plane dragon to explore the Planes?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    How common are dragons on the planes?
    About as common as they are on the Material Plane, generally.

Do planar races consider them "just another mortal" or are they respected/feared/held in awe the way humanoids hold them?
    Dragons are substantially powerful beings no matter how you slice it. Though they're not eternal, they're still mighty entities who can leave their mark on a thousand years or more of planar time. Considering that regular mortals can crap things up in a week...

While they're not respected/feared etc. the way humanoids might look upon them, they are treated with caution, wariness and the deference a planar would give to any territorial ruler. Wandering dragons get treated differently by plane, of course, but in general, something big, bad and CR 20+ is going to get planars to sit up and take notice.

What might entice an otherwise Material Plane dragon to explore the Planes?
    Same things that entice a dragon to do anything, I suppose.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for this great thread!

I have a question about something that came up back on page 15 about how demons and devils viewed Elder Evils. You said...

"I hear they even operate one for some Blood War-related purpose, though that may not be canonical. Some silver thing."

No one mentioned this afterwards, but I was curious what this silver thing was all about... what is it and where is it mentioned?

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Thanks for this great thread!

I have a question about something that came up back on page 15 about how demons and devils viewed Elder Evils. You said...

"I hear they even operate one for some Blood War-related purpose, though that may not be canonical. Some silver thing."

No one mentioned this afterwards, but I was curious what this silver thing was all about... what is it and where is it mentioned?
    It's his own homebrew.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

16. - Top - End - #1246

On dragons on the planes:

You should make a difference here between 2nd Ed Planescape and third edition material.

Because there's a part. I remember very well, I think from the original campaign setting, that mentions that dragons are almost never seen on the planes. There is some speculation on why, with the assumption that maybe it is because they are such magical creatures and inherently linked to the material plane.

Then, in third edition, we got planar dragons.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Ettin in the Playground

Where do Rakshasa come from, and why/how are they "native" to the Material Plane yet still Outsiders?

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Where do Rakshasa come from, and why/how are they "native" to the Material Plane yet still Outsiders?
    "Outsiders" are creatures that are made from the plane, spirit and body in one, that plane literally incarnate. All planes, of course, can have such things, hence the Outsider (Native) type (subtype).

So the answer, of course, is that they come from the material plane itself, presumably spawned at least semi-spontaneously from the plane itself the way other Outsiders are.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon-freak89 View Post
    It's his own homebrew.
    Quite so.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    there's a part. I remember very well, I think from the original campaign setting, that mentions that dragons are almost never seen on the planes.
    I was just paging through it without much success. Could you get me the reference?

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Rakshasas are from Acheron, and many still dwell there; ages ago, a number of them used their ability to cloak their spirits in flesh to naturalize themselves to the Material Plane so that they could continue their depredations there with no fear of banishment. They can still be encountered on their home plane.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2013-02-09 at 12:16 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Banned

"Outsiders" are creatures that are made from the plane, spirit and body in one, that plane literally incarnate. All planes, of course, can have such things, hence the Outsider (Native) type (subtype).

So the answer, of course, is that they come from the material plane itself, presumably spawned at least semi-spontaneously from the plane itself the way other Outsiders are.
    scribble, scribble

Afro indicates this is not the canonical answer to Rakshasas. Would it be true of Couatl, or are they also originally from some plane?

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    On dragons on the planes:

You should make a difference here between 2nd Ed Planescape and third edition material.

Because there's a part. I remember very well, I think from the original campaign setting, that mentions that dragons are almost never seen on the planes. There is some speculation on why, with the assumption that maybe it is because they are such magical creatures and inherently linked to the material plane.

Then, in third edition, we got planar dragons.
    I can think of at least one exception: Rust Dragons, which live on Acheron and are known for their relationship with Achaierai. (See: Planes of Law)
    Last edited by Gralamin; 2013-02-09 at 01:19 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Banned

scribble, scribble

Afro indicates this is not the canonical answer to Rakshasas. Would it be true of Couatl, or are they also originally from some plane?
    Afro knows far more than me, I was literally just describing what the Outsider (Native) subtype generally means. Rakshasas seem to be a special case, then.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Troll in the Playground

The thing is, (native) outsiders are explicitly raisable. So, they don't fuse with their home Plane, unlike other outsiders.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Banned

That segues me into a question, though I don't quite know how to phrase it. A probably-wrong first attempt: What is the point of there being both a Material Plane and The Outlands? If all the alignment forces are balanced in the Material Plane, why have an Outer Plane where they are likewise balanced? Why should the Great Wheel require more than one center?

25. - Top - End - #1255

That segues me into a question, though I don't quite know how to phrase it. A probably-wrong first attempt: What is the point of there being both a Material Plane and The Outlands? If all the alignment forces are balanced in the Material Plane, why have an Outer Plane where they are likewise balanced? Why should the Great Wheel require more than one center?
    The Outer Plane is the center of the moral/ethical axis; the Material Plane is much more broad in its scope, in that it is the middle of the axis of material and spiritual forces.

That, and True Neutral people deserve an afterlife too.

26. - Top - End - #1256

Dragons again: dangit, I can't find it now. But it's sticking in my head, now. I'll go ask on Planewalker later, maybe Rip is around.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

There's also the supposed confluence between the Elemental Planes, which should be but is NOT the Material Plane. Besides, throw the Ordial Plane into the mix and the Material Plane doesn't seem to be the center of the multiverse so much.

Rephrasing in in-universe terms: The Prime Material Plane isn't the center of the Wheel, clueless berk.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Larkas View Post
    Besides, throw the Ordial Plane into the mix and the Material Plane doesn't seem to be the center of the multiverse so much.
    Well the Ordial isn't in 3E, and I still don't really grasp what it was supposed to have been in the first place. Why should the Astral and Ethereal have any connection? They strike me as being polar opposites, with Shadow sort of a midpoint between them.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Titan in the Playground

Couatl are Material Plane denizens.

Afro knows far more than me, I was literally just describing what the Outsider (Native) subtype generally means. Rakshasas seem to be a special case, then.
    They are, because they are outsider spirits (extraplanar) who made bodies for themselves that are of the Material Plane (native).

What is the point of there being both a Material Plane and The Outlands? If all the alignment forces are balanced in the Material Plane, why have an Outer Plane where they are likewise balanced? Why should the Great Wheel require more than one center?
    The Great Wheel has only one center: Sigil. The Outlands is the plane of concord and opposition (see what I did there?) It governs true neutrality and also ensures the Balance by mediating shifts between Outer Planes and handling temporary overflow when parts of a plane slide. It takes in and it pushes back, preventing some radical shifts from happening and limiting small-scale exploitation of planar slides.

The Outer Planes are reflections of Material Plane belief; they flow "out" of the Material Plane, whereas the Inner Planes flow "in."

Why should the Astral and Ethereal have any connection?
    Because they do? They're both Transitive Planes, and pretty crucial ones at that, unlike the other one.

They strike me as being polar opposites
    Which they are supposed to be. The Ethereal is the Plane of Potential, the Astral the Plane of Thought and the Ordial, if it did exist, would be the Plane of Proof.

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Banned

Couatl are Material Plane denizens.
    They are now; were they always is what I'm asking.

They are, because they are outsider spirits (extraplanar) who made bodies for themselves that are of the Material Plane (native).
    So, contrary to the 1E monster manual, they don't come from India.

Because they do? They're both Transitive Planes, and pretty crucial ones at that, unlike the other one.
    I have no idea where you're getting this from (which doesn't mean I disbelieve or disagree, I'm just baffled).

Which they are supposed to be. The Ethereal is the Plane of Potential, the Astral the Plane of Thought and the Ordial, if it did exist, would be the Plane of Proof.
    Proof of what? And how is Ethereal the plane of Potential, given that it's where ghosts end up? I'd think it'd be the opposite of Potential, which sounds more like it could describe Astral, as IIRC some call Astral the place where thoughts are born. (Of course I may be thinking of a completely different game's Astral plane there.)