New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: I'm feeling turn based and fantastical

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    I meant the combat. Turn-based, one character at a time (I think), no movement.
    Have...

Have you actually played a Fire Emblem game?

EDIT: as far as recommendations go though, the only title i can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet(Unless im blind) is The Last Remnant - which i personally have interest in, but then again I've never actually played it myself so i suppose a genuine recommendation on that isn't possible. I do however second Battle for Wesnoth and the Heroes of Might and Magic series though.

EDIT2: i should also mention that The Last Remnant doesn't really have orcs, so if that's a deal-breaker then that recommendation is even more worthless
    Last edited by Aragehaor; 2012-12-31 at 10:36 PM.
    Current avatar Thanks to Serpentine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Red Gyarados Avatar Thanks to Mr Saturn

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

To be entirely fair to Jade Dragon, I think by "the combat" he means the animation that plays when you order one unit to attack another. Which ignores that 100% of the game's complexity lies outside of this screen as you aren't even in control of what happens there, but I could imagine how someone could get a false impression if all they've seen are screencaps.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aragehaor View Post
    Have...

Have you actually played a Fire Emblem game?

EDIT: as far as recommendations go though, the only title i can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet(Unless im blind) is The Last Remnant - which i personally have interest in, but then again I've never actually played it myself so i suppose a genuine recommendation on that isn't possible.
    Tried TLR at some point in the distant past. Maybe it's just my background, but I found it completely incomprehensible. If you've played Japanese style RPGs before you might have better luck.

Also, my insistence on orcs and elves was a joke. Elves shooting orcs seemed a useful descriptor for fantasy games as a whole.

I am PC only though. Should have said that.

And thanks all for the great suggestions. So far I'm looking at Avernum 6, various of the older Might and Magics, and, embarrassingly, this. Actually the expansion, because I've already played the base game. My shame knows no bounds.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Can I reccomend Warlock:Master of the Arcane a second time? It is a 4x (is that the right term?) but has some rpg elements, in the heros. Very fun, and fast paced, unlike some others on the market.
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Don't mistake Might and Magic and Heroes of Might and Magic for each other. The former are straight RPGs. The latter are strategy games.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbit View Post
    Can I reccomend Warlock:Master of the Arcane a second time? It is a 4x (is that the right term?) but has some rpg elements, in the heros. Very fun, and fast paced, unlike some others on the market.
    I've gotten a lot of fun out of Warlock. It's the natural evolution of the already superlative Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy games from tactical affairs into long-term strategy titles. Still need to pick up the last couple DLCs though, so that's an option. I've heard the Apocalypse DLC is really hard, is that true?

I also have to say Warlock is one of the best examples of post-release support this year. 1C took a good game, and made is really good. And most of the really important changes, like multiplayer, improved AI, and the lords/artifacts system are free.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

My shame knows no bounds.
    Seems alright enough on its face, if a little more fanservicey than normal for RPGs. I'd probably give it more of a look if I weren't busy playing my gift from my SO and Crusader Kings 2.

If you're primarily sticking to PC RPGs, I would also give pretty serious consideration to Winter Voices, a game on Steam that is kind of a puzzle-strategy RPG; you don't kill anything, at least in the first couple of episodes. Your goal is to survive fights and leave alive, not kill things. It's pretty nifty, but may not be your thing. It's also sold in very, very small packages, so you can get a shot - there's also a demo.

For heavier strategy with a strong character basis, Crusader Kings 2 MAY do you, but you don't sound like you're into it right now, so I guess I'll say no more.

Irrelevant natter about Dominions:

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by gp1628 View Post
    Dominions 3 is $50? that is on Amazon, right?
    That was the price when I bought it two years ago from them, well after the '5 years' I said.

It is only $30 on Desura, and goes on sale fairly often.
    That's a lot more reasonable

The "5 years ago" is rather questionable also since they continaully add to it for free. The version now has a lot more in it than the 5 years ago version.
    They haven't added much since LA Russia.

That might still be too much money for some.
    50 bucks is really sporty for an old game with terrible graphics, even if it is a legitimately excellent strategery title (Which I'm not really sure on; I actually really like it a lot, but I don't have a lot of experience with fantasy strategy so I don't have an opinion on if it's 'good'.
    Last edited by RPGuru1331; 2013-01-01 at 02:14 AM.
    Asok: Shouldn't we actually be working?
    And then Asok was thrown out of the car.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

So... a turn-based tactics PC game with small squad/party tactical mechanics and individual unit customization, like Jagged Alliance or X-com... but high fantasy...

Someone make this game!!!

Well anyways, here's one nobody has mentioned yet: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/eador_genesis

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    But really, who doesn't want to shoot orcs in the face?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=66562

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

I came into this thread with the specific intention of saying Eador is a ridiculously brilliant fantasy strategy game that can be bought for ridiculously cheap.

It's just one of those games that you instantly know was a labor of love... the combat is always a tactical exercise, the campaign is well-written (and well-translated), the empire building is interesting, the graphics are gorgeous (if retro)...

I honestly could not recommend this game enough.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RPGuru1331 View Post
    Seems alright enough on its face, if a little more fanservicey than normal for RPGs. I'd probably give it more of a look if I weren't busy playing my gift from my SO and Crusader Kings 2.
    It is basically alright, one of those things made by a very small team with perhaps a bit more love and ambition than refined talent. Which is to say a good bit of fun, particularly if you very much have a shirts-optional policy. Since it's pretty much equal opportunity oggling, I don't object.

If you're primarily sticking to PC RPGs, I would also give pretty serious consideration to Winter Voices, a game on Steam that is kind of a puzzle-strategy RPG; you don't kill anything, at least in the first couple of episodes. Your goal is to survive fights and leave alive, not kill things. It's pretty nifty, but may not be your thing. It's also sold in very, very small packages, so you can get a shot - there's also a demo.
    I actually own these, snagged 'em on sale from GamersGate a while back, but for some reason can't get them to install right.Still trying to figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    So... a turn-based tactics PC game with small squad/party tactical mechanics and individual unit customization, like Jagged Alliance or X-com... but high fantasy...

It's nonexistance baffles me. I mean just think of the possibilities - fighting orcs at night when they dynamically choose to attack your tavern, running a covert op to rescue somebody or other from an orc war party... the list just goes on. And with a decent tactical combat system that forces a variety of tactics, it'd be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruviansquid View Post
    I came into this thread with the specific intention of saying Eador is a ridiculously brilliant fantasy strategy game that can be bought for ridiculously cheap.

It's just one of those games that you instantly know was a labor of love... the combat is always a tactical exercise, the campaign is well-written (and well-translated), the empire building is interesting, the graphics are gorgeous (if retro)...

I honestly could not recommend this game enough.
    I've been debating whether or not to pick Genesis up now, or wait for the jaw-droppingly gorgeous remake, but I think this sells me.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, you could always play Frozen Synapse and pretend that they're wizards blasting things with magic wands... The graphics are minimalistic enough to make this not unreasonably difficult.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Well, it's not really a small group, and it'll eat up vast quantities of your time if you go for 100% completion, but I'm going to recommend Disgaea.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

That's the GBA multiplayer arena.

Also:

So... a turn-based tactics PC game that doesn't need a $10,000 computer so that the rest of us can play it with small squad/party tactical mechanics and individual unit customization, like Jagged Alliance or X-com... but high fantasy...

Fixed it for you.
    Last edited by RagingKrikkit; 2013-01-01 at 03:07 PM.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

It is basically alright, one of those things made by a very small team with perhaps a bit more love and ambition than refined talent. Which is to say a good bit of fun, particularly if you very much have a shirts-optional policy. Since it's pretty much equal opportunity oggling, I don't object.
    I'd be the judge of that. Dudes have a remarkably bad habit of not being capable of judging what dudes 'are' attractive.

I actually own these, snagged 'em on sale from GamersGate a while back, but for some reason can't get them to install right.Still trying to figure that out.
    Shame. The setting and plot have a neat, not-oft-seen flavor.

It's nonexistance baffles me. I mean just think of the possibilities - fighting orcs at night when they dynamically choose to attack your tavern, running a covert op to rescue somebody or other from an orc war party... the list just goes on. And with a decent tactical combat system that forces a variety of tactics, it'd be great.
    That sounds more like Mount and Blade than normal for those kinds of games.
    Edit: What about high-fantasy mods of Mount and Blade? Granted, not turn-based, but...

Is there a demo?
    Last edited by RPGuru1331; 2013-01-01 at 03:33 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be the judge of that. Dudes have a remarkably bad habit of not being capable of judging what dudes 'are' attractive.
    Fair enough. I obviously can't speak with first hand experience what women like in their fanservice, and wasn't trying to - sorry if it came off that way. The point I was trying to (clumsily) make was that the clothing for both sexes tends to be equally impractical and exposing. Generally I abandon my high horse when the chainmail bikinis are offset by fur loincloths.

Shame. The setting and plot have a neat, not-oft-seen flavor.
    Got 'em to work. I had just installed Episode 1, and missed the prologue. Apparently Ep. 1 doesn't have the actual game files, so once I installed the prologue, it started to run fine.

That sounds more like Mount and Blade than normal for those kinds of games.
    Edit: What about high-fantasy mods of Mount and Blade? Granted, not turn-based, but...
    More or less, yes. But Mount & Blade owes a fair bit of its DNA to JA 2. And with smaller unit counts and full party control, the possibility for ambushes, creative use of buildings etc goes way up.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Fair enough. I obviously can't speak with first hand experience what women like in their fanservice, and wasn't trying to - sorry if it came off that way. The point I was trying to (clumsily) make was that the clothing for both sexes tends to be equally impractical and exposing. Generally I abandon my high horse when the chainmail bikinis are offset by fur loincloths.
    It's no big thing. But whether the Chainmail Bikinis aren't a thing depends on the build of the dudes wearing the loincloth. Conan isn't generally considered sexy, and isn't intended to be, so it's not like Red Sonja at all.

More or less, yes. But Mount & Blade owes a fair bit of its DNA to JA 2. And with smaller unit counts and full party control, the possibility for ambushes, creative use of buildings etc goes way up.
    Does it? Nifty to know. I was more commenting on what you mentioned about the dynamically generated orcs and owning a tavern, since MnB does actually change the economy based on what you and bandits do.
    Last edited by RPGuru1331; 2013-01-01 at 04:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Nope. Fire Emblem is a tactical RPG franchise, with no deviation from that basic style in any of its titles. It was the series that created that sub-genre, in fact.
    Fire Emblem was before Shining Force? Just wondering...

Also, are there any Fire Emblem games for the PC? I have one for the Gamecube but my dog chewed up my video connector so my Gamecube is out of commission (and Nintendo had to have a unique video connector).

18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

I started basically this thread not terribly long ago. Can't find it now, but most of these suggestions came up. Stuff I saw there the I haven't seen here:

-Titans of Steel. free, possibly buggy, incredibly complex and difficult. It's a battletech game.

-Megamek. A much simplified version of ToS. Stays true to the original board game rules. Has some online multiplayer communities.

-Advance Wars. Not PC, but there are 2 for DS and 2 for GBA, so if you've either of those systems you can look it up. These have got to be my favorite strategy games ever. If you've got the systems, any of the titles ought to be cheap if you can find em at a gamestop. I recommend black hole rising (number two) for GBA, and Days of Ruin( number four) for the DS.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

"I had a normal day once. It was a Thursday." -Will Bailey, The West Wing

Roy will be Xykon's Final Boss

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

It's no big thing. But whether the Chainmail Bikinis aren't a thing depends on the build of the dudes wearing the loincloth. Conan isn't generally considered sexy, and isn't intended to be, so it's not like Red Sonja at all.
    Dammit, I know there was an article on this somewhere...

To summarize the article (so I don't have to look for it): how the woman acts is more important than what she wears. Conan (the series, not the character) is sexist sometimes, with sexy women in underwear hiding behind him as he fights off bandits. But Sonja is a great warrior, as strong as Conan, so her concept isn't sexist, just fanservice-y.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Dammit, I know there was an article on this somewhere...

To summarize the article (so I don't have to look for it): how the woman acts is more important than what she wears. Conan (the series, not the character) is sexist sometimes, with sexy women in underwear hiding behind him as he fights off bandits. But Sonja is a great warrior, as strong as Conan, so her concept isn't sexist, just fanservice-y.
    She isn't as strong as conan, and is frequently saved by him whenever he's around. That's why he's the main character and she has a spinoff. Further, although I don't disagree that how characters act is more important, that doesn't change that looks still matter in this context. It is still sexist only women are considered viable for looks fanservice, it is just less sexist than if they are only considered valuable for their looks (Which, you know, I've dealt with gaming fans for the majority of m y life, and is the standard in games)

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post

Also, are there any Fire Emblem games for the PC? I have one for the Gamecube but my dog chewed up my video connector so my Gamecube is out of commission (and Nintendo had to have a unique video connector).
    Nope. Fire Emblem is a Nintendo exclusive.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Yep. First Fire Emblem was released in 1990, Shining Force was 1992.

Nope, at least not legally. They're all on Nintendo consoles or handhelds.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

As the year winds down, I find myself with an urge to order elves to spend a turn shooting orcs in their stupid orc faces. I find it helps put things in perspective.

I'm not seeing much in my collection that looks to satisfy this though. So I'm turning to you for suggestions. I'm amenable to either party-based or one-character games. I don't really discriminate on the age of a title - although I do like the art to be solid, even if the tech is old.

Any suggestions?
    So you want X-COM: Enemy Unknown with Elves and Orcs. I'd like that game as well. If anyone knows of anything like it, I'd be interested as well.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    So you want X-COM: Enemy Unknown with Elves and Orcs. I'd like that game as well. If anyone knows of anything like it, I'd be interested as well.
    I think this sort of game would be ideal for porting the D&D 4e ruleset to videogames. Maybe if enough people badger WotC we can get it done eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Valid point. While again I obviously can't testify to what women look for in their vaguely anime style dudes, I'm reasonably sure this one isn't playing to straight guys. Don't get me wrong, I'd quite like abs that good, but at least most of my Awesome Man fantasies tend to have somewhat more hair. I'll settle for clearly sexualized, and probably not meant to do anything for me.

Does it? Nifty to know. I was more commenting on what you mentioned about the dynamically generated orcs and owning a tavern, since MnB does actually change the economy based on what you and bandits do.
    Mostly in terms of the overland/tactical battle map deal, and the inventory links back and forth between them. JA 2 doesn't seem to really use a party based AI for the overland stuff though, certainly not to the extent that M&B does. Nevertheless, there's a reasonable amount in common between the two.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

She isn't as strong as conan, and is frequently saved by him whenever he's around. That's why he's the main character and she has a spinoff. Further, although I don't disagree that how characters act is more important, that doesn't change that looks still matter in this context. It is still sexist only women are considered viable for looks fanservice, it is just less sexist than if they are only considered valuable for their looks (Which, you know, I've dealt with gaming fans for the majority of m y life, and is the standard in games)
    Ah. Well, most of my info on Sonja is taken from TVTropes.

Edit: Actually, I'm misremembering. The tropes page said that she was beaten by Conan, I thought it had said they had a draw.

I'm fine with Conan being stronger. The deal with the goddess included "can't sleep with anyone unless they beat you in combat", which means that it should be possible to beat her.

Conan in general isn't the best example for my argument. The guy who wrote the article mostly just posted D&D 4e pics.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2013-01-01 at 07:11 PM.
    My Steam profile

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

@ RPGuru1331:
    So what kind of male characters are sexy for female readers, in a fantasy setting? Honest question because I'm a (hobby) comic book artist.
    I already know women in chainmail bikini who contort themselves for the camera every frame is sexist. But I'm not talking about the women.
    And I can see why Conan isn't sexy, what with that eternal snarl on his face. He looks like Anton Chigurh on steroids.

Reynard: I think this sort of game would be ideal for porting the D&D 4e ruleset to videogames. Maybe if enough people badger WotC we can get it done eventually.
    I don't know... I mean, I remember the ooooold SSI Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance games. You move your characters around on the battlefield, and you have movement limits, but that's not really what we're talking about. We're talking about games that feel like X-com, Jagged Alliance, Laser Squad, and Fallout Tactics.
    Unless D&D 4e is significantly different than old D&D rules? 4e would translate well to Jagged Alliance style gameplay?

The one problem I see with a JA-style fantasy TBT game, is the prevalence of melee rather than range combat in fantasy. How would that translate into JA-style TBT?

I'm thinking a detailed melee system would need to be in place, more than "move fighter next to goblin archer, unsheath longsword +2, start mashing melee button." For example, shooting phase in X-com has "suppression fire, aimed shot, auto shot," etc. So, melee phase in this game should take real-life swordfighting techniques/tactics into account.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know... I mean, I remember the ooooold SSI Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance games. You move your characters around on the battlefield, and you have movement limits, but that's not really what we're talking about. We're talking about games that feel like X-com, Jagged Alliance, Laser Squad, and Fallout Tactics.
    Unless D&D 4e is significantly different than old D&D rules? 4e would translate well to Jagged Alliance style gameplay?

The one problem I see with a JA-style fantasy TBT game, is the prevalence of melee rather than range combat in fantasy. How would that translate into JA-style TBT?

I'm thinking a detailed melee system would need to be in place, more than "move fighter next to goblin archer, unsheath longsword +2, start mashing melee button." For example, shooting phase in X-com has "suppression fire, aimed shot, auto shot," etc. So, melee phase in this game should take real-life swordfighting techniques/tactics into account.
    I think they're confusing X-COM: UFO Defense/UFO: Enemy Unknown (what you and I are talking about) with XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which uses a very D&D-esque two-action turn (move + any other action).
    My Steam profile

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

In the new X-Com game, can you...

(1) Action/Move/Action?
    (2) Move/Action/Move?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

No, it's:

Move/Move
    Move/Action
    Action

Some classes can get abilities letting them do Action/Action, and Assaults can Move/Move/Action once every third turn.

@Snoopy13a: No, though Wii's are backwards compatible with Gamecube games. On the other hand, since they used the same connector for three consecutive system (SNES, N64, and GC) it's relatively cheap to acquire one.

Unless you want a component cable. If that's the case, just shell out for a Wii. It's cheaper and plays more games.