New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Past 4

As Tarith pulls a kitten out of his bag and explains to Dantie that Tarith had not really cast a spell on him but he had defended the boy himself Dantie looked at the boy. Your lieing. I would never defend someone who was trying to release a demon from the bowels of hell. And yes I found out what was in the chest. Did you manage to before I just told you? If you would have opened that box, it would have been a death sentence on you and all in that town to make sure the thing was contained and forced back into the gem. And as for enlisting you. Boy if you don't do it, you will never be able to go back to Justcrown look at it that way. At least with the church supporting you, you may one day be allowed back in. But so far your actions are going to get you killed and your friends to turn their backs on you. Trust me I do not think Brandbrosa liked getting put on fire to protect your sorry hide, but he did so. Why don't you pay some respect to him by staying out of trouble. As For me being effected, Tarith you have no idea how much I was effected. First of I thought you died you dam idiot. And to top that off having my own god tell me that I am turning away from the path. Just because you see something as not being evil, does not make it any less evil. And next time why do you not think about your friends first before you do such a thing. I can not always protect you from the church or the law if what you say is true Tarith. I have been doing so for a long time. And I have run out of funds to keep paying people what you take. You think you used to get away with all that food and were so good. I used to pay the people for everything you stole Tarith. Please my friend. Stay your hand, or use it for the good of the people and not yourself. Can you at least do that. I do not want to force you to Tarith but if I have to cast a spell on you to do so and walk away from you I will. As for our chances against that witch they will be the same as they are now. She could have attacked us and because you were so busy picking pockets and thieving we could have all been dead before you took care to notice. Dantie says, and then he hears the words he thought he would never hear from Tarith and looks to the him, pride in his eyes. That is all I can hope for Tarith is for you to try your hardest and do your best. Thank you. But I believe you owe a few other people an apology. Dantie says looking to the two women who have been quite this whole time.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"So like you. To believe I lie when I am not, and to believe I lied when I didn't. Still, either way, it is irrelevant. What could possibly have been in such a chest to be so dangerous to everyone in town? I find it far more believable that there was something dangerous to the inquisition in it. I can go back to Justcrown any time I want. I just can't use my own face. Not really a problem. The church will never support me, so I won't support it. Seems fair to me. If I truly want to pay Brandobras respect, I just won't get caught. The good of me IS the good of the people. I can use the money more effectively than they can, as I mostly seem to be fighting the forces of evil. And who do I owe an apology? The inquisitor? For returning her dirty laundry? Get real."
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

To Bandobras.
    I take it you found him before he got into further trouble then? I will contact Dantie to ensure they are both safe at the font. As to returning to Tarith, I still have a errand to run in Justcrown before leaving, but it is late, and I do not wish to disturb Silas at this hour, I had planned on staying the night here, visiting Silas early in the morning, then Teleporting Dimbur and myself to the rest.

To Dantie.
    I am speaking with Bandobras, he informed me he sent Tarith to the Font, has he arrived safely? I intend on staying at the Wench tonight, and should be returning myself and the Dwarf, Dimbur, to the Font of Life to meet the rest of you. Did you get everything you needed, or do you wish me to bring anything with me?

Xander looks to Otis.
    Otis, Do you happen to have rooms available for the night?
    Xander looks to Dimbur.
    If you are comfortable with it Master Stonestaff, we can share a room, unless you wish for some privacy.
    Characters currently playing

Spoiler
    Show

Shadows of the Past Xander Corillian Xander Sorcerer spells
    Shadows of Death Draken Korvick

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

And do you doubt the very person who saved your life judgement? As he did not want you having the chest either? Some things are meant to be left alone and forgotten Tarith. I would learn it soon to or you will be finding yourself with more in common with those from that Ward then those trying to save the world. Some things may not be black and white. But when someone tells you something is dangerous you should use some common sense. Especially if it will hurt the common people. Dantie says to Tarith hoping to make him understand.

As Xanders message gets through to him Dantie replies Yea he made it here. And he is thinking about going back to grab that chest saying it could be something that the inquisitors are afraid of being released. To bad he is not thinking that if they are afraid the common people will be to. I swear he is the embodiment of chaos sometimes, and do not know how he came to be this way. As for you staying at the Wench I will let Anzrail know, though she has been asking about you, if you can you may want to contact her. And this Dimbur fellow, ever hear of him? Tradik as far as I remember never mentioned...Oh wait thats right you never meet him. Sorry Xander. try to find out what you can first. Make sure we can trust him before bringing him near her. Dantie says hoping he knows which her he is referring to. And No I do not need anything sadly I kept my shield with me and did not have the time to sell it. So perhaps tomorrow. Have a good night Xander and stay safe. I am not that far away if you need me. Dantie says waiting for the two girls to finish with Tarith.

5. - Top - End - #95

GreenSorcererElf

"He overheard the inquisitor talking about it, and assumed she was being honest. You assume that what I do is wrong. I steal from those who can afford to lose what I am taking. And there is a world of difference between theft and murder, which you seem to ignore."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie & Tarith: As both of you quarrel over morality in the sinken grove, Rosalind looks from the window.

"Should we go down there and do something?"

Anzaril raises her hand and dismisses the giant eel who return to the depths of the lake.

"Normally, we would, dear. This is one of those instances when we let them settle their differences. I do hope we have a way to reverse this flood, however. I will keep watch if this discussion gets out of hand."

@Dantie: As you admonish Tarith, your spellthief lets the bag open and a cute little golden kitten pops its head out. At seeing your face red with anger, it hisses at you. The animal is not evil, just a random pet Tarith managed to snatch. What for? You can only begin to guess.

@Dimbur: That voice echoes in your head again as you sit down in the tavern and take a gulp of the ale.

Hello, Master Stonestaff. By now, you probably are aware of the situation you have literally fallen into. I await your answer. Think about it. A man trained by Silaqui would never fall into a company as disparaged as the one you are currently with. This is my last offer. Be wise, dwarf. Do your mistress proud.

@Xander: Bandobras finishes his ale and wipes his mouth clean.

"Yes, Tarith should be with Dantie. I can send you there like I did with him, but I doubt you would like that sort of travel. I do have a scroll here I bought from a wizard not too long ago. I would've used it with Tarith, but I needed to alert the Ravens first of his safety. This should get you to wherever you want to go without difficulty."

Spoiler
    Show
    Scroll of Teleport

Otis approaches you.

"Indeed, Master Corillian! We have several rooms available. Would you care for one or two?"
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2013-01-06 at 04:39 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Valtalis takes a seat and watches through one of the mirrors the scene in the tavern. Another is directed at the Font of Life.

"Well, at this rate, I may not need to send anyone."

The old man in the gurney connected to tubes and jars filled with fluids attempts to speak.

"Two...for one..."

Valtalis turns to look at him.

"Indeed, Master Kalynas. It is a tempting situation. However, we cannot act yet. I ask for patience, my lord."

Valtalis turns towards a dark corner of the room.

"I'm glad you made it in time. I am certain you have followed the events portrayed here? If that is the case, I may need you to...disrupt a certain event in the near future. Do not hold back, since they will likely won't. I need to assess the memory gauge of the subjects Two and One. Know that they will likely have company- mainly those in the mirror. They are disposable, but do not engage the subjects. I want you to record everything they know. As soon as you have done that, return to me."

The shadows in the corner glow with six pairs of eyes and disappear.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2013-01-06 at 05:07 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

And stealing from churches, the very thing that put food in beggars mouths, protect them and cure the sick is what you call stealing from those who can afford it? Dantie asks both mad and curious at what the boys answer will be. As for their being a difference betwen theft and murder they may be different, but they are a very thin line that is easily crossed. Keep that in mind Tarith. If you forgot you almost killed Cassial. That was the line I am talking about. When something stands in the way of you and your prize.

9. - Top - End - #99

GreenSorcererElf

At this blatant lie by Dantie, Tarith laughs

"Stealing from a church? Really, you consider the inquisitors a church, that actually puts food in beggars mouths, and helps people? Get real. They may offer food to the beggars, but only to arrest them for theft later. All they care about is their own, narrow, interpretation of the law. Stealing from them, all I am doing is stealing their own stolen goods. I did not almost kill Cassiel. I would have tried to disable him, but he was powerful enough that I had to knock him out. but I had no intentions of killing him. That was all of the makings of others."

While Tarith is... responding to Dantie's lecture, lying on the ground, he takes the nearness of Danties cloak to use it to dry off the kitten, and offer it some more meat, figuring that it would be hungry after terrifying a room full of soldiers.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

10. - Top - End - #100

RedWizardGuy

Thank you for the offer Bandobras, however waiting until morning to return to them will be fine, I have already contacted Dantie, Tarith is safe with him and they are not expecting me till morning. I can make use to the scroll however, if you will still permit me to keep it.
    Xander takes the scroll from Bandobras, then looks to Otis.
    Thank you Otis, if you have plenty of rooms, I see no reason to not give us both plenty of room to stretch out, two rooms sound excellent.
    Xander pays Otis for two rooms.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

You call them Inquisitors, those who respect the law call them the law. And if you were not so chaotic in nature half the time you would see it to. But you care to much for personal freedom that the idea of someone protecting the citizens is beyond you. Tell me, if the church of St. Cuthbert was not protecting the people and providing the law who do you think would. Let me give you a hint. The duke, and that means there would be no fair trials it would be as he saw fit. And how can you call goods taken from those who are now deceased stolen when you yourself are wearing such belongings Tarith spellbane? Are you calling yourself a thief now? What they confiscate is to make sure the common people, which by the way are most people in the city are, stay safe and are not killed by fools like you who think they are doing the world a favor. If I did not grow up with you I would swear you had demon blood running through your veins. Talking such Blasphemy. You say you tried to knock him out, but all it takes is one lucky hit Tarith, that is what you seem to not understand. One misplaced blade and you could have killed him. And over what, a few gold coins. Could you have livid with the fact that you killed someone over money? Dantie asks him.

12. - Top - End - #102

GreenSorcererElf

"Dantie, they are an unaffiliated organization. They take the law into their own hands. The law is the town guards, not an organization of assassins and hypocrites. The church does not protect the people. They protect their own narrow view of the world. Not the same thing at all. The duke only rules on major crimes, such as a major theft, or a murder, and the magistrate rules on the others. Accusing people of crimes, killing them, and claiming their goods is nothing more that a far move evil theft. I do not harm the common folk. I do redistribute wealth from the rich, however. And as far as killing Cassiel goes... Even if he had died, he would not have died. After all, he is like a demon right? If he dies on this plane, he is just banished for a century. Additionally, he was trying to kill me. If someone tries to kill you, you simply return the favor, and hope you do it better than they do."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

I am sure he did not attack you right away Tarith do not even try that one. Did he not give you a warning to leave before attacking? And how is a church dedicate to the upholding of law not affiliated with the law? You do know how childish you are sounding correct? In the case of Connor you are correct. But not all of them are like that, most of them are trying to look out for the people and protect the citizens. If you ask her at the wedding I am sure she will try to explain to you what mess she has been trying to fix since his reign as High Inquisitor. Are their flaws in the system, yes, but it is the duty of other members of the world to point them out so they can be corrected. You pointed out that Connor was a fraud and he was dealt with accordingly was he not?

14. - Top - End - #104

GreenSorcererElf

"He attacked me as soon as I entered the vault. They are dedicated to upholding the law... as they see it. They are not good. They are brutal, and uncaring. If you break into a burning house to save a baby, they will execute you for breaking and entry. They serve the letter of the law, not the spirit. Connor was not dealt with. As far as I know, they just moved him, like airing out the laundry. I imagine he is doing the same thing elsewhere."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

And would you say that to Cassials face if he were standing before you still as he once was Tarith? Or would you lie like you always do when you are cornered and caught. And if you went to save a child in a house I know for a fact you would not be punished if what you say is true and no illusions were in place. As for Connor you may be right. Last I knew he was sent to the free city to be dealt with though.

16. - Top - End - #106

GreenSorcererElf

"Dantie, if he were standing here, instead of turned into an undead... thing, I would indeed say that to his face. By the LAW, which you hold so dear to your heard, I would be guilty of a crime for saving that baby. That is all the inquisitors care about. Not right, or wrong, but did your actions meet some requirements that they wrote down in a book somewhere. No judge, no jury, just an executioner. No extenuating circumstances, just what they feel the law should be."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Dantie being fed up with Tariths antics throws his hands up in the air, I'm done arguing with you Tarith. Just remember what I said. Anzrail he is all yours. Dantie says going up to the tree house, it is late and he wants to sleep.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

@Xander & Dimbur: Bandobras hands you the scroll, leaves a gold coin on the table for Otis and walks out.

"I may have something of interest for you two. I was in town to resupply some of the people I'm helping, which is why I was here. You are aware of the wedding, of course. I have been invited. After that, I have some news regarding an old friend of yours you might find interesting. See you in a week."

Otis walks up to you.

"Two rooms, then? It's just a pair of silvers for the night. This includes breakfast. Shall I get the rooms ready?"

@Dantie & Tarith: You exchange views on morality and the role of the church in the world while Rosalind and Anzaril watch from the uneven window made by Bishop on the tree house.

"So now he floods my grove too... Tarith is full of pleasant surprises, indeed."

Rosalind looks at the charred hole on the top of the canopy and the aftermath of his fall.

"Tarith can do many things, Anzaril. Not many which I may approve, but I can assure you he does not have the ability to do that. Didn't you see how badly he looked?"

Anzaril watches the two men arguing and starts climbing onto the window.

"Let's see what I can do to settle this. This is my grove, after all."

Anzaril leaps off the window and lands on the water with a splash. She swims towards both of you and walks towards the shore.

"You two seem to have a heated argument. Tarith, you were, if I'm not mistaken, banished from the Font. And now you have crashed here quite literally. I know very little about churches. In fact, the fey do not follow such creeds to heart. I do know that when an argument has no end- much like this one. There is only one way to resolve matters."

She points to a dry patch on the hill where the entrance to the grove lies.

"Better than exchanging views on a debate, wouldn't you agree?"
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2013-01-06 at 02:35 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109

GreenSorcererElf

"Dantie, not my fault you don't actually look in the mirror, and see what the inquisitors that you value so highly actually are."

As Anzaril comes towards them, Tarith watches, interested in how she is going to react to his presence.
    Not as bad as it could have been. Now, will she try to get me... again

"To be fair, it was not my doing, but the doing of Brandobras. I would not have chosen to go splat in such a fashion. Also, you never actually banished me from the font of life. I simply left, as you were a bit... upset, unduly so, really, over a prank."

Tarith pauses for a moment, before continuing.
    "You know, this animosity between us is not really helping either of us. So, why don't we start over?"

Tarith looks a bit sheepish for a moment

"Also, I don't suppose you can neglect to mention the kitten to Arrallae? I would prefer for it to be a surprise for her."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: Anzaril walks towards you and raises an eyebrow at the kitten on your arms.

"A gift for Arrallae? You didn't steal this one from an elderly woman, did you?"

Anzaril lowers her head to get a closer look at the feline.

"I must admit, it is quite cute. What is it? A male, female? And its name?"

She then turns towards the flooded area around you.

"I do not know who this Bandobras is. I do know my grove is flooded. If you can come up with a way to revert this mess and push the water back into the lake, I would be willing to overlook your earlier attempt at burglary. I would advise you are quick, though- the leviathans have never swam so close to shore and they can get hungry if unchecked..."

21. - Top - End - #111

GreenSorcererElf

"You know, I don't actually steal everything. This one was rescued from 3 boys who were drowning it. I was going to allow Arallae to name it, but I am afraid that I am not an expert on kittens. And... there has not exactly been an opportunity to take a look."

Tarith takes a look at the kitten

"Looks like it is a _____"

"As far as moving the water goes..."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

22. - Top - End - #112

RedWizardGuy

I look forward to seeing you at the wedding Bandobras. I must ask however, and forgive me if I appear rude, but informing someone you have something of interest to tell them, then informing they they must wait a week to learn the news, do you need to retrieve something before informing us, or is it simply for your own amusement that we must wait a week and wonder on your news?

Xander hands Otis the money for the rooms.
    Yes, thank you Otis, I intend on retiring soon.

To Anzaril.
    I understand from Dantie that Tarith has arrived safely in your grove? I do hope he has not caused further trouble for you. I will be staying in Justcrown tonight, and intend to return to your grove early in the morning, I will be bringing one more guest with me, A dwarf who has traveled here seeking answers from Tarith, it seems appropriate the two of them meet. Have you received your dress from Rosalind? Is it to your liking?

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You look at the kitten by raising him up to get a closer look as he meows in fear while looking at the water around him.

It's a male.

Anzaril looks at the immense amount of water that has escaped the lake and floods the grove. The small boat floats erratically, still tied to the pier underwater. A few feet away the hump of a leviathan emerges and tilts it over.

"Thankfully, it is a rather large lake, but the amount of water disgorged by your fall is vast."

Anzaril points her finger towards the actual lake. her finger pointed towards a wet wall filled with kelp and other aquatic plants and flowers. The depth is about forty feet before the water takes place.

"All that area used to be covered in water. Can you refill it?"

@Xander: Bandobras starts leaving the tavern when you ask him about this mystery mission of his. The Elusive Zephyr turns around.

"This is no amusement, I assure you. I came here, as I said earlier, to resupply. There is something happening on the other side of Oerth, and I am needed there. Old friends who need help. I can fill all of you in on the details, but I'd like to have you all together. That way, all information is delivered at once and there are no misunderstandings. I hope you can help me, because I am having trouble with this situation."

Bandobras leaves the Wench and you hear his footsteps no more.

You contact Anzaril.

Xander, dear! Tarith? Yes, he arrived. Safely would not be the best way to put it. The little miscreant crashed through the canopy like a falling star and created a big deluge. My grove is flooded and Dantie and him had a rather heated argument over... church morals? I have seen the dress. Wait until the wedding... Regarding the Font of Life, I do not know how to return the water into the lake. The leviathans are going to get hungry soon and eat at the trees- specifically the tree where Rosalind lives if they aren't returned to the lake proper. You wouldn't have a way to regress all the water inside?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

'Leads to dying utterances, voices in my head. . . what next along this path?'

Dimbur nods to Bandobras, hoists the mug to Xander, and says solemnly, 'To Silaqui, wherever her gods may have her. May the couatls fly high.' He then upends the tankard into his mouth, quaffing its entire contents messily.
    Last edited by Amphetryon; 2013-01-06 at 08:11 PM.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

@Dimbur: You raise your mug, filled to the brim and with the froth showering your gauntlet and make the toast before downing the ale in one swift gulp and making it known to Otis what a fine ale he has by belching loudly in gratitude.

Bandobras lifts an eyebrow.

"Couatls? The big feathered serpents? I remember those, during my travels. But those are far away from Justcrown..."

Bandobras looks at the ceiling as he tilts his chair back, trying to remember something.

"A good sort, but too rigid, despite their form. They never let me come into their valley. And I tried, once. I had assumed they had treasure in there, but never could get close enough to find any. One of them, a very old one, even told me to stay away, for my own good. It's one of those things I have in my agenda. Maybe later. You know them?"

26. - Top - End - #116

GreenSorcererElf

Poor kitten. I imagine he has had enough of water for one day
    Tarith wrings out one of his pockets as best he can, and places the kitten into it, patting it occasionally to reassure it.

"Hm... I can use my bags of holding to move the water, although it will take some time. I also have a decanter of endless ale that could be used to refill the lake. Unfortunately, before I use the bags to move the water, I will need to dump out the contents, which currently include the corpses of 5 bandits that tried to rob me near here. Which solution would you prefer? And why is there a wall in the lake in the first place?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

27. - Top - End - #117

RedWizardGuy

Very well, I will wait until the wedding to hear your tale, I do hope I will be able to aid you. Until then, I wish you well Bandobras.

To Anzaril.
    A falling star? So that must be the after effects of Bandobras' method of transporting people. Dantie was raised in the church, and believes the human pantheon, and their churches to be the ultimate authority. Tarith on the other hand, seems to have to have little regard for the gods, and even less for the laws of man. As to returning the water to its proper place, I can think of two ideas, we can use magic to dig trenches and allow the water to return gradually, that or there is a spell I know of that allows you to control water, one that while more difficult for wizards and other arcane casters to perform, I believe it comes much more naturally to druids, and other such divine casters. Perhaps if you contacted the groves they could aid in restoring your grove, Dantie may even be able to assist.

Before going to bed for the night Xander casts Contingency+Celerity on himself.

Spoiler
    Show

The two spells I thought about to try fixing the water problem.
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Control_Water
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Move_Earth

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

As Dantie gets to the top of the tree house and hears that the eels may get hungry he quickly heads back down the ladder and runs past Tarith and Anzrail and casts two spells to help with the water situation. Once done there is 56 more gallons of water then there previously was inside the lake.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie: You climb down the tree house and focus your holy symbol towards the lake, asking Pelor to create water where none was before. Like a heavy rain, gallons upon gallon of water fall on the lake, filling it up tremendously, but not completely. Anzaril turns to look at you.

"Nice job, Dantie. Now if we could just move this water into the lake..."

@Tarith: You propose a few practical solutions to filling up Anzaril's lake as you finish drying up the kitten. The glaistig is shocked.

"Tarith, isn't that your friend's decanter of alcohol? There is no way I'm having ale dumped into the Font of Life. As for the bodies..."

Anzaril claps her hands twice and two shapes swim towards her as fins emerge from the lake.

"They usually feed on fish, but these will do to keep them satisfied and away from the shore while they digest."

As to your question on the wall.

"It is the natural wall of the lake, which continues going down to the depths. There are no constructions here, unless you count my abode, but that is farther in."

@Xander: Yes, I had gathered Tarith to be defiant of pretty much everything, even the divine. So this Bandobras, who is he? Never mind, you'll have a chance to tell me face to face. Regarding the covens... I doubt they would come and assist. Nor do I require their help. I will find a way to fix what Tarith has done. I hope you are enjoying the city, dear. Please do come as quickly as you can.

30. - Top - End - #120

GreenSorcererElf

"It would probably be entertaining to watch the effect on the fish, though. It would not be every day that you see drunk fish, after all."

As the fish swim up, Tarith dumps the bodies out of his bag of holding, allowing the fish to gobble them down.

After considering for a moment, Tarith sighs, and starts transferring the water from the grove to the lake using his bags of holding.

(180 cubic feet of water moved at a time, 1335.6 gallons moved)
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss