New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default [IC] To war, for fame and profit!

This here is a story of mercenaries, from the perspective of the gold-biters themselves. Don't confuse this for a story of heroes, because it's not. This is the story of a few mortals who banded together to take on the Land of a Thousand Lords and walk out with a thousand victories. How'd they do it? Well that's what they're going to tell you, numbskull, so listen up!

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Just to avoid having to check my post history every time I want to add or change anything, I'll add a link to the OoC thread here.

Before we really get started, what role do each of you play in the company?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] To war, for fame and profit!

Alright, Tanis says. We have goblins. We have a town we need to protect. And we have a hefty chunk of gold for us upon completion, with a smaller chunk right now.

What information do we have? Numbers, locations, fortifications, anything like that?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Thorn was his usual businesslike self. "Any numbers we don't have, we can gather. After we interview survivors, I will lead the scouts in ascertaining the enemy's disposition. Meanwhile, we should deploy the regulars in and around Dunhill to keep folk safe until we know more."

Spoiler
    Show

Portent rolls: (2d20)[18][4](22)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

we should also talk with the local leaders see what they might have for information, maybe there is a diplomatic solution to this.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    we should also talk with the local leaders see what they might have for information, maybe there is a diplomatic solution to this.
    I am always one for diplomacy, Tanis says. Though I have some doubts that it'll be possible without a show of force first. Prove to them that we COULD smash them, then offer them a chance to be peaceful about it.

Show
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

"It seems to me that the time for diplomacy has long passed—hence our employment," Thorn pointed out. "Assuming the goblins are even willing to talk, our employers are likely not willing to settle for a negotiated reprieve. Too much of their blood has been shed already. Besides, can we even trust the little monsters to honor an agreement after we leave?"

7. - Top - End - #7

True, true... Tanis replies. We might as well start talking to the people who've been attacked, then. Get the information we can.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Where exactly are we right now, DM? Like, how far is the travels to the attacked villages?

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

there is never a last word in diplomacy, however diplomacy by force is an option. let us go talk with the locals

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

"Then again, 'the final argument of kings' is a euphemism for siege weaponry," Thorn pointed out wryly.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2019-07-11 at 02:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

"It would probably be best to approach the town as discretely as possible with our main forces to avoid giving away our numbers to the Goblins. The element of surprise is always a sound tactical advantage. While a diplomatic solution is appealing, to what end does it lead? Are we to teach the goblins how to be farmers or simply convince them that this town is less appealing then one of it's neighbors?"
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sixty-odd regulars isn't exactly an army. Sure, they're not quiet, but much larger forces have been marched in secret before. We can range ahead of the main force and sweep for prying eyes that might mark our passage. The enemy will surely note their disappearances, but they will at least be left in the dark."
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2019-07-12 at 01:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

sounds like a plan we will forge ahead of the main force and see what their numbers are and if they can be made to leave then that is fine. though I tend to agree with the assessment that they may need to be dealt with in combat.