New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Dragonlance - Kender War (IC)

The War of the Lance rages; the Queen of Darkness has returned to Krynn, and with her come her shrieking hosts of dragons, and legions of ogres, goblins and a new race never before seen on Krynn - draconians.

The world has failed to unite against them, each race stands alone; divided. Soon the last bastions of light will fail and darkness will reign triumphant. The last glimmer of hope comes, strangely enough, in the form of the kender. The mischievous, irresponsible, irrepressable kender are the only race prepared to unite with all others in defence of the world.

Under the leadership of Kronin Thistleknott of Kendermore, the kender have formed an army and are coming to the aid of the beleagured Solamnic Knights - whether the Knights want their aid or not. Kendermore, however, has no standing navy and so the volunteers must find passage to Ansalon however they can.

This is where you come in; somehow, you've gained passage on a ship to Solamnia. One day, however, a thick mist arrises. All around you the crew are making warding signs against evil - there's something about the fog that worries them.
    Amazing Banshee avatar by Strawberries. Many, many thanks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dragonlance - Kender War (IC)

"Isn't fog wonderful? So much mystery! No telling what could be there! Why, I bet my Uncle Trapspringer would be surprised to see me now! Well, I'm sure I have a telescope in here somewhere..."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm so excited for this. This fog is so cool, let's see if we can see anything in it. Do you think it's magical? Maybe it's a kender eating fog of doom and we are all going to die. That would be so cool. I better check it out to make sure. Pyrom yelled while hopping around looking at the random stuff on the ship. He then pulled a random item from his pouch and cast light on it. That being done he threw it into the cloud to see if it receded from the light or not. His eyes then changed color slightly as he activated Detect Magic to see if there is anything magical on the ship.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast both light and detect magic. I would still like to kow what item I threw even if I threw it away
    Last edited by Hamste; 2013-01-06 at 09:28 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Surprised by her companion, Serena smiles. " It's not a kender eating fog, or it would've eaten me already! It's definitely a mystery fog of adventure!" Serana will draw out of one of her pouches the first cylindrical item she can, expecting a telescope.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Korvedzk View Post
    Surprised by her companion, Serena smiles. " It's not a kender eating fog, or it would've eaten me already! It's definitely a mystery fog of adventure!" Serana will draw out of one of her pouches the first cylindrical item she can, expecting a telescope.
    Maybe it's just full right now. Or maybe we are already eaten and this is it's stomach. I would have thought a cloud's stomach would have more in it than a ship and some water. Think we will give it gas and that it will burp out thunderclouds? Pyrom said. This ship was so boring he was glad something interesting was finally happening.
    Last edited by Hamste; 2013-01-06 at 09:38 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh! Then we could call ourselves storm kender!"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Up above the decks, hanging in some of the ships rigging, Bellamy Tanglemop watches the fog swirl around the ship. Then spotting some of her kin gather around below, she slides down another rope to hang upside down above them.

"That would be so much fun. I've never been in any things stomach before. I mean there was this one time I fell into a cave, and I thought I got eaten."

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Pyrom's thrown shard of green glass vanishes in to the mist, and there's a faint splash from somewhere nearby. Either there is a very cunning foe close at hand, or there's not actually anything there right now.

With serene grace, Serena pokes herself in the eye with a small green phial in her search for a telescope, mistakenly thinking that the glassy cylinder was a spyglass.

All around you, the crew are pressed up against the rail muttering and signing to themselves. They don't like the mist. From somewhere at the stern, you can hear the captain ordering a change of course. The sailors set to with a will, and the ship turns rapidly - however, the bank of fog changes course to follow you.

Spoiler
    Show
    The mist is not magical. You see pretty much nothing in the light. However, it is not yet upon you.

Please everyone make a Listen test.
    Last edited by Aneurin; 2013-01-09 at 04:00 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

"Ooh, its following us. This is going to be fun!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen: (1d20+4)[11]

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

See, I told you it wanted to eat us. This is going to be so much fun. If were lucky it will be slow and we will be able to see where the cloud's food goes. Ooh what is i that green phial? You should drink it and see if it's poisonous or the cure for everything. Pyrom said grinning at the mist.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20-4)[9] ...I hope you people have a better roll modifier than I do.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"No way! Glowing green stuff? Totally a prophetic, 'you will know when it's time' type thing.

Listen:
    (1d20-1)[18]

OoC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am NOT drinking a flask of acid!

"Still, not what I'm looking for..."

Pouch grab:
    (1d20+4)[14]
    (1d100)[24]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

This time, Serena locates a small, copper-coloured ring with a twining dolphin design around the band.

Serena;
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear a deep growling coming from within the mist. See also the 'Everyone' spoiler.

Everyone;
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear the crew muttering amongst themselves. They suspect magic, and evil in general. They don't suspect for any particular reason, they just do.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

"It matches my hair!" Serena puts on the ring. "Huh. I think it is going to eat us! Did anybody else just hear it growl?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Before anyone can respond to Serena's question, the mist engulfs the ship. Curiously, it doesn't feel cold. Instead it feels hot, thick and humid.

You can now all hear a low roar from within the haze that seems to be drawing rapidly nearer. The captain is shouting something, but it's much too late as the roar turns in to a sudden high pitched shriek.

The deck beneath your feet lurches violently.

Spoiler
    Show
    A DC15 Reflex save to remain standing. If you are stood by the railing and fail the save you have a 50% chance of falling overboard.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Pyrom clapped his hands and smiled. He was totally unphased at almost falling over right next to the railing. Do it again. That was so much fun. It feels so warm and wet in this place, almost like that time I stuck my head in a drunk orc's mouth. He was passed out but I could tell he liked the taste of my head from the way he gasped and almost threw up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[15] in case this fails here is the roll for falling over High I fall overboard (1d100)[23]
    Last edited by Hamste; 2013-01-12 at 12:49 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"I heard that."

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex save: (1d20+10)[15]

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

"Whoah!"

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+4)[24]
    (1d100)[65]

"Yeah, we're totally being eaten."
    Last edited by Karen Lynn; 2013-01-12 at 12:34 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

The ship explodes in to action as the well-trained crew begins scrambling to different stations, yelling orders and giving signals to one another.

The entire ship lists to port - or the left-hand side of the ship for all you non-nautical types - and the sound of growling is no more intense than ever. Over the railing it is apparent that whatever has struck the hull has attatched itself somehow.

Closer inspection of the damage reveals that a strange vessel that has rammed into the side of the ship just above the waterline. A metal spike that has extended from the bow of the metallic ship and four metallic arms have extended outward from the puncture on the inside hull of the ship. This effectively has trapped the side of the ship snugly against the bow of the smaller vessel.

The growling intensifies as the iron shod craft begins to push against the ship with an alarming force. You can hear the sides of the ship straining with the power of the smaller vessel.

The captain is cursing and yelling orders. Evidently his crew refuses to board the other ship. They have never seen a design like it and the mixture of noises and obvious power of the smaller ship have them cowed.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Serena Jumps for the ship. If she doesn't die outright, she will try to find something to do.
    Spoiler
    Show

Jump
    (1d20+7)[23]
    Tumble to reduce damage
    (1d20-2)[11]
    Accursed armor check penalty...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Oooh me second, me second. Pyrom said as he jumped onto the other vessal.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20-1)[8] for jump (doesn't include what ever bonus their is for running jump) and (1d20+4)[19] for tumble.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Bellamy starts looking for some rope to swing herself over.

Spoiler
    Show
    search:(1d20+2)[15]

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Bellamy finds a rope without much trouble, while Pyrom and Serena crash to the deck of the strange vessel some fifteen feet below.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't recall the falling damage off-hand, but I suspect it's not a huge amount.

The climb check for the rope is 10, or 20 to clamber down the side of the hull.

There's a deep reverberation across the ship; you can feel a deep throbbing coming through the deck. It makes it rather difficult to hear anything.

Spoiler
    Show
    So long as you remain on the top deck, take a -2 to Listen checks.

The strange vessel is about 45 feet long and fifteen wide. It sits low in the water; very low. In fact, the waves lap against the hull just two feet below the deck you stand on. Peering over the side, you can just make out the legend MNS <0. Around the edge of the deck are a number of pipes that vanish over the side somewhere below the waves. Hanging off the bow of the iron vessel is the massive spear of metal that punctured a hole in the hull of your ship. The entire apparatus is covered in wires, gears and bolts, a number of which are now littering the deck surrounding the device.

The deck is deserted, and there are no sounds of life from below. Whatever the craft was made for, they are small. The doorway leading downwards is almost perfectly kender-sized. Likewise, the railings around the ship are designed for beings of your stature and would be unlikely to prevent anyone larger from falling overboard should they slip.

And slip they are likely to; the deck is slick with condensed mist making footing treacherous, even for the ever-nimble kender.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you attempt to move faster than a walk, make a Reflex save.

Make, at your discretion, one of the following if you wish to attempt to identify the vessel;

Bardic Lore check
    Sailor Lore check
    Knowledge (Engineering) check
    Craft check

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Pyrom felt some pain as he landed but he didn't let that bother him. He wondered who made this place and tried to think if he heard anything about it. He ran across the door to see if he could find anything cool in there.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[14] for the bardic knowledge and reflex save for running to the door (1d20+9)[18] and falling damage (1d6)[5]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

"This is so awesome!"Belladonna calls out as she slides down the rope.

"Any idea about what this thing is?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Use Rope: (1d20+5)[19]
    And I have no relevant skill for intelligence.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, it's big. Metal. Floats. And it's mine! Seriously, who would leave such a nice thing lying around in the water like this?" Serena will move to enter through the door at a walking pace.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Pyrom;
    Spoiler
    Show
    You've heard stories of several boats going missing in the stretch of water, but no-one knows why. Seems like this monstrosity is the cause, although you're not entirely sure what it might be.

Pyrom goes skipping, fleet-footedly across the deck without slipping. As the other two follow at a more sedate pace, they can hear the captain of their ship shouting at the crew - apparently he wants some of the sailors to try and dislodge this strange ship, but the sailors are refusing.

The doorway leads to what appears to be the bridge - as you go through you do note a trapdoor set in to the deck, it's at the far end of the deck by the at the stern.

The bridge of the ship is a small room. Along the wall facing the front of the ship a massive control panel of levers, dials, buttons and wires covers a metal panel of gnome height with three small chairs situated behind it. On the back wall a number of cabinets with charts, manuals and tools have been spilled out all over the floor.
    Last edited by Aneurin; 2013-01-15 at 02:58 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Pyrom stared at the control panel. He wondered what it would do, maybe it would blow up the ship or drive it around at the speed of a dragon. Naturally he started pulling levers and pressing buttons at random. He wondered what was in those cabinets but this was more interesting to him.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

There are some groaning noises from deep within the ship, and the deck suddenly lurches, but nothing else happens. Beneath Pyrom's hands, the console begins to feel warm.

You may continue to experiment with it, search the cabinets, leave the room or do any other activity you can reasonably attempt.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Pyrom giggled as the ship moved. This was so much fun and he loved playing with the console. He started pressing buttons more carefully to see if anything specific happened from it. He wondered if gnomes made this, if they did this was bound to be cool or horrifying.
    Last edited by Hamste; 2013-01-15 at 06:44 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Belladonna lurches to the side as the ship moves.

"Hey! That's fun. Can we do that again?"

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!