New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default IC Heroes for Hire I

And so it begins...

On the seventh day of the third tenday of Tarsakh, morning dew glistened along the grass. The snow had only been gone a score of days, and the season of Greengrass was almost upon the lands of Cormyr.

The small city of Thunderstone, nearly 1800 people strong, begins to swell as their fair weather brings caravans and other travelers to the area.

Some of you make your way to Thunderstone via the Thunder Way, some the High Road, others yet by boat up the Dragonmere to the Wvyrmwater.

You are one among many to what flocked to center of this small town seeking to make a name and a living for yourselves.

Hurm Thiodor

A slender aging man stands in front of the strange stone, maybe 3' in diameter and Thunderstone's namesake. He addresses the group, "Welcome, ye who seek adventure and riches. I am Hurm Thiodor, Clerk of this town acting on her Majesty's, Regent Alusair Obarskyr's, authority. Many of you here may be wondering what has triggered our call for adventurers, sellswords, and seekers. Though the Goblin War is well in hand we have not been free of its impact, threats from the Vast Swamp, Infested Hills, Thunder Peaks, and Hullbach Forest have plagued out lands and if that wasn't bad enough, bandits have been attacking the Thunder Way. The crown's soldier's are busy, and we have need of extraordinary men." The thin man in his well made cloths slowly looks around the crowd, at the mostly rabble before him. Many before him are naught but peasants who've got their hands on a tarnished sword, either way, they'll spend what coppers they have in the tavern, the gold they can scrounge in the shops, and may even kill a goblin or two with no cost to the city.

"I posses, for those which prove themselves worthy, a writ granting licensure for a company of sellswords, adventurers for hire. It is yours for the taking if you are brave enough to seize it." He holds aloft a written piece of parchment. "The group which first brings me three Worg heads, a dozen goblin heads, and a Ogre's set of teeth will receive this writ and further contract with Thunderstone in the company of adequate compensation."

There are murmurs in the crowd, few seem at unease with the task, others seem to relish in the thrills to come.

Spoiler
    Show
    Adventuring in Cormyr requires Licensure for a group.

If you didn't notice, there are already possible quests cropping up. I suggest one of the group take some notes and jot down the potential quests.
    Last edited by Zman; 2013-02-19 at 06:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: IC Heroes for Hire I

"Can't see a bloody thing." Veltar grumbled to himself, all these humans that were so easily taller than him made it hard to see the man that was holding this little gathering.
    The burly dwarf pressed his way through the people, making it to the front of the press in time to hear a long list of places he had never heard of before.
    his interest was peaked at the mention goblins in the area. Killing goblins was certainly within his forte. his hand strayed to the worn leather of the haft of his axe. Already the idea of killing more of his ancestral enemies made his heart quicken.

many of the people around him were looking uneasy. clearly there would not be much in the way of companions worth having in this town. Veltar huffed angrily to himself and crossed his arms over his chest.

across the way he caught sight of several men that were impossibly taller than the farmers and the like around him now. he stroked his beard thoughtfully. certainly cant be any harm in trying.

Veltar makes his way through the people in the square, eyeing the stone in the middle of the square.
    i wrote this! take a look at what I've created.

3. - Top - End - #3

Ian the Spellsword

As the thin man speaks, Ian simply smiles. He's taller than most and as the man in front of him speaks, his eyes study the group around him, noticing their reactions. Ian is dressed in white robes, freshly spelled clean, his finely groomed blonde hair is neatly accented by his stunning eyes and smile.

As his gaze catches the Dwarf's reaction to the proposition of Goblins, Ian flicks his gaze to his companion, a hardened man a few inches taller than he with jet black hair, "That Dwarf has a certain passion for Goblins..." as Ian passes to Gorsamm in a game they frequently play, one they spend pointing out people of note as they see them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Figured Gorsamm can point out another party member, etc as they post and we can bring the group together.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Gorsomm

Gorsomm listens to Hurm's speech without comment, This is precisely what I set out for. Test my training and bring some order to the countryside.

It's hard not to notice the dwarf pushing his way forward, and given the historical troubles between dwarves and goblins, Gorsomm is not surprised when his companion speaks up.

Flicking his bright blue eyes over the crowd, it's almost impossible not to notice the hulking half-orc strapped with a great axe. Gorsomm fingers his twin battleaxes, Now that's interesting. A brute like that could certainly be useful, and I must profess a curiosity as to what brings him here. Of course, he looks like a wild one, not exactly the type of discipline required. Gorsomm's gaze returns to Ian, Then again, for all Ian's brashness, it has worked out so far.

Turning to his companion, Gorsomm says, "Indeed. I also can't help but notice the brutish looking half-orc over there."
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

Marvel Super Heroes (Player): OOC IC Char
    The Frontier of Verazemya (Player): OOC IC Char
    Curse of Hel (Player): OOC IC Char
    Kobold Run (Player): OOC IC Char

5. - Top - End - #5

Goblin

Karnack the Barbarian

The crowd makes Karnack uncomfortable. His eyeys are quickly and carefully scanning the area. If they are here I will find them and I will make them pay. That ragged crew of thieves and mercenaries who left him for dead, this would be just the type of thing to draw them out of the woodwork.
    The speech the little man made was interesting and Karnack had always wanted to try his axe against the likes of an Ogre. But right now the only thing he could really concentrate on was his revenge. He could feel the rage boiling up inside his veins, he knew if he didn't get outside of this crowd and soon things might turn bad, very bad. I will find you Brand and I will take your head.
    Last edited by Blade Conduit; 2013-02-19 at 06:35 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Ian

Ian's eyes flick to the brutish halforc, "Fitting choice. What we need is someone with a bit more.. refinement..." as Ian's eyes begin scanning the crowd once more.
    Last edited by Zman; 2013-02-19 at 09:13 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

ElfRangerGuy

Veltar

The fact that the two men had notices him was not lost on Veltar, as he strove to always babe aware of his surroundings and those that were nearby him. That one of them was wearing a bright white robe, and was far cleaner than anyone else here.

Veltar pushed a witless farm hand out of his way and approached the two men, his crest of hair only managing to come up to their ribs. He cursed to himself in the course language of his people and craned his head back, right hand resting on the head of the ancestral axe belted to his side. The edge was keen under his thumb.

"be the two of you stout of heart and arm? You seem not to be still attached to the breast of your mothers as these babes and dandies."

Veltar's voice grated like a blade drawn through gravel, and he fixed the taller o the two with a steady gaze. Hoping they were at least as competent as they looked. If not then the only one here worth his time would be the Brutish orcling with the unwieldy looking axe.
    I would be almost best alone if these two turn out to be overdressed farm boys like the rest here.

8. - Top - End - #8

Goblin

Karnack

Standing heads above the rest of the motley crowd, Karnack noticed a few of the more potent looking ones gathering in a small group. When I tried to take on Brand and his thugs I was nearly killed, I need help if
    I am to get revenge. I don't have to like them but if they help me spill the blood of my enemies then I will gladly swing my axe for them.

Karnack begins slowly making his way towards the dwarf and the two humans. He stops five feet short of them, lays his axe across his shoulder and grins wide letting all his teeth show. "I am Karnack and I can slay an ogre! My axe for a share of the gold!"

9. - Top - End - #9

Ian

The Dwarf approaches and Ian greets him in return, nodding respectfully, "Welcome my supremely stout friend, I am Ian, my sword is sharp and my wit sharper. My associate is Gorsomm, he's stern and unbending as steel. You have a particular dislike and familiarity for Goblins?"

As the huge brute approaches, Ian's eyes are quick and thoughtful, Hmm.... Big, strong, ugly...probably dumb...mold able.....perfect.

As Karnak greets the group, Ian responds his manor of speedch smooth, if not overly exaggerated at times, Welcome Karnak, I am Ian, leader of this fair company of Heroes for Hire. You may boast, but certainly if you can wield such a weapon into battle your boast may prove true. You are welcomed to join us, one sixth share.". Ian gestures to those around him, acting as if the Dwarf had already agreed.

10. - Top - End - #10

ElfRangerGuy

veltar

goblins. Veltar spat on the ground and swore in his native tongue. I know a thing or two as regards those most foul creatures."

At the mention of an adventuring party Veltar buts back into the conversation.
    you have your own party eh? Lets hope that we aren't all of it.

He clears his throat and continues on rubbing his thumb and two fingers together in the universal sign of cash. whats all this of good now?

His eyes glint a little madly at the idea of gold exchanging hands in his favor.
    Last edited by daungli; 2013-02-19 at 11:48 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Goblin

Karnack

Sixth.... What does that mean.. Sounds like six. Karnack looks and starts to count the heads of the group and while math has never really been his strong suit or any suit of his for that matter he knows he has five fingers and there are less than that here and six is more than five.
    This one have smooth tongue like Brand..
    Karnack let's out a bellow and brings his axe into both hands in front of him, the blood beginning to boil rapidly in his veins. "There not six of us there is four. I CAN COUNT! I get equal share or you find out how good I am with my axe!"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I updated his intelligence to a 9 when you corrected my point but mistake. Not brilliant but not dumb either. Not overly anyway.
    Last edited by Blade Conduit; 2013-02-19 at 11:28 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Ian

With the Halforc's outburst, Not quite that dumb...

Ian doesn't bat an eye at the brute's response, "Short temper friend, there are four standing here, we've yet need of a fifth, and the sixth is for our collective benefit.". Ian's posture and gestures take on those of a man offended, "If I were a lessor man I would take offense to your outburst, but I will forgive you as is my nature."

Now, we really do need a fifth... Ian's eyes again begin to look for a fifth.
    Last edited by Zman; 2013-02-19 at 11:43 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

ElfRangerGuy

veltar

Veltar eyed the massive Orc as it built itself into a rage. He would have to be carful with that one if they had to work together.

I am inclined to agree with the Orc here, unless you have a pair of gnomes packed away somewhere I see no reason for an unequal split.

the idea that the last of my clam could be taken advantage of is insulting though a raging Halforc makes for a powerful bargaining tool.

Veltar stepped aside, leaving no one between karnack and the two men
    Last edited by daungli; 2013-02-19 at 11:42 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Goblin

Karnack

"More coming? Equal split?" Breathing slow and heavy Karnack pushes the anger back inside. He bottles it away for when it will be more useful. The anger, the pain, the rage that boils inside of him every day just waiting for an eruption to let it free has served him well over the years. He has finally begun learning how to truly harness it and although it leaves him empty and exhausted afterwards it has been his one ever consistent ally in his search for revenge.
    I will have to keep an eye on the silver tongued one, trusting him will not be a mistake I make. Even more aware of the crowd around him Karnak hungers for open spaces with only his enemy before him.
    "Where other two? I am ready to fight, talk is ugly and weak, fighting is life!"

15. - Top - End - #15

Ian

Not flinching around the Halforc, "Yes, an equal for each and a share for our collective benefit. Your temper will get the better of you.". Wih that Ian acts as if it never happened.

"Now, let's see to finding a fifth."
    Last edited by Zman; 2013-02-19 at 12:44 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Gorsomm

Falling into his familiar role of silently watching as Ian handles the talking, Gorsomm can't help but think Interesting pair. Definitely reaffirms my impression as to the unruly nature of the orc, and I can't say I'm surprised by the dwarf's outburst. Quite the touchy lot.

Quietly, Gorsomm says, "While talk may be ugly and weak, charging into battle unprepared can be lethal. Following Ian's suggestion seems sensible." With that, Gorsomm nods to Ian to indicate he should continue as he has indicated.
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

17. - Top - End - #17

AssassinGuy

Tryst

Perching on the side of the font near the square, Tryst is enjoying the peace, eyes scanning through one of his books, his reddish hue of his attire complimented by the radiance of the sun, making him seems more congruent with the surroundings. As he starts another chapter, namely dealing with The Time of Troubles, he is abruptly interrupted by the commotion coming from the gathered crowd. Tryst sighs. Of all times, it has to be the strike of dawn.

Making his way to the front to get a better view, Tryst is greeted by the sight of old man, annoucing promising quests for adventurers dare to brave them. He mutters "Humph, what I am only interested is the search for things that would help in my studies."

Most of the adventurers seems intriguing to party up with but not as intriguing as the group that has an interesting mixture of charm, wits and pure might. Not wanting to reveal himself yet, he listens to their conversation.
    Quite amusing, indeed. Then, he hears the one known as Ian is searching for a fifth member. He decides to make himself known to the group. "Pardon me, fellow adventurers, but I heard that you are in in need of an extra hand."
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-02-19 at 04:23 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Ian

As the shorter man approaches, he does not carry himself nor look the part of the adventurer, Perfect...

Ian turns to the man, a broad smile on his face as he responds with, "Well met, but I think we have little use for your hand, though your mind may be of interest and use to us. My name is Ian, and who may you be and what do you believe you can contribute?" as Ian notes the books in the man's possession.

Ian makes sure to glance at Gorsomm, trying to guage the man's impression of the newcommer.
    Last edited by Zman; 2013-02-19 at 04:37 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

AssassinGuy

Tryst

Tryst raises his eyebrow, giving an unnerving stare. "Do not mind the books, they are irrelevant to the situation. I assure you will not regret having me on board for I am a healer with a modicum of knowledge at my disposal. If you need assistance in softening your preys, I may be more willing to oblige. Pardon my informality but I believe I have not introduce myself yet. I am Tryst. Pleasure to make your acquaintance."
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-02-19 at 05:09 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Ian

Grasping the man's hand, with a wry smile across his face, "That has yet to be seen, but we are in need of a healer." Ian adds later, "Books are never irrelevant, Knowledge is its own form of power."
    Last edited by Zman; 2013-02-19 at 05:20 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Goblin

Karnack

Always a bit wary and curious about books and those that have them Karnack eyes the newest member of this group with an unusual gaze, one not often seen coming from half orcs wielding exceedingly large axes. A look of wonder and curiosity overtakes the giant.
    "You read book?" He asks in a voice that could almost be considered meek if it weren't coming from a seven foot tall half orc brute.No time for this now, I must keep on task, my revenge.
    He turns to face Ian, the one with the silver tongue who has done much of the talking so far."That is five, we go kill ogre, goblins and other things now?"
    Last edited by Blade Conduit; 2013-02-19 at 05:33 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

AssassinGuy

Tryst

"I am humbly grateful for your invitation, sorcerer."

He bows and continues.

"True, I do not deny that. But it is your doubt of my apperance and abilities that provokes me to make such that assumption. That aside, I'm sure we will get along just fine. If you excuse me, I feel the need to introduce myself to the rest of the group."

Tryst smiles.

Turning to the side, he spots Gorsomm, quietly observing, Veltar, who is pondering deeply, and Karnak who demands the presence of two of his members.

He starts "Hello there, I believe we have not met. My name is Tryst, a healer."

Diverting his attention to Karnak, he answers "Why yes, I like to read books just as you like fighting."
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-02-19 at 06:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Gorsomm

Inclining his head to the newest person to come over, Gorsomm says, "The name's Gorsomm."
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

24. - Top - End - #24

Ian

Ian nods to Tryst before tackling the task at hand.

Looking again at the stout dwarf, "Sir Dwarf, you've yet to give us your name, please do us the honors."

Once Veltar is given the chance to introduce himself Ian continues, "I see no reason we cannot get started this day, we've some time this day to finish supplying ourselves before we begin hunting down this prey."

Ian thinks for a second, trying to piece together what he know about Goblins and Ogres and where they should start. "Veltar, do you agree that the infested hills would be the most likely place to encounter Worg Riding Goblins?"

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge Local(d20+3)[17]

Probably through up a couple of Knowledge Checks if you guys want to know more.
    Last edited by Zman; 2013-02-19 at 06:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge Arcana(Worgs)(d20+5)[16]

Here a couple of Knowledge DCs

For Knowledge Checks, feel free to use this guide. DCs for Higher level monsters will be reduced by 1/2CR.
    Last edited by Zman; 2013-02-19 at 06:49 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Goblin

Karnack

The half orc begins showing signs of restlessness, turning his head from left to right. He occasionally raises his face towards the sky and breathes deeply in through his nose.
    "We leaving soon? My axe is getting twitchy."
    He looks from the dwarf, to the three humans.

27. - Top - End - #27

ElfRangerGuy

Veltar

"My name is Veltar, dwarf Ranger, it is good to see that there are at least a few here that seem able bodied. I look forwards to our association."

so long as this remains profitable.

The dwarf tugged on his beard, racking his brains for everything he knew about goblins.
    Last edited by daungli; 2013-02-19 at 07:48 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

ElfRangerGuy

Veltar
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[21] (Knowledge Local)

"I know that they have their own language, and the smartest of them can learn Common. They tend to only attack when their prey is either very weak, or when they have superior numbers on their side. They also have an affinity for traps, though I'm not sure about the Wargs, all I've heard are stories and I don't go by those."
    Last edited by daungli; 2013-02-19 at 08:04 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

AssassinGuy

Tryst

"Nice to meet you, Velgar and Gorsomm"

The topic of Worg Riding Goblins spurred his thoughts.

"Worg Riding Goblins, hmm. I'll see if I know anything about them"

Tryst places his hand beneath his chin.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge Local (Goblins)(1d20+6)[14]
    Knowledge Nature (Worg)(1d20+6)[8]

"I am not familiar with Worgs. Goblins, on the other hand, I heard that they are unrefined and hideous, in both language and apperance with the potential to learn Common."

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-02-19 at 08:15 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Spoiler
    Show
    For those who beat DC15 Knowledge Local, Attacking from the hill land makes sense as the huge mobility granted by the Worgs could come into play. Its the most obvious solution.

Normally Veltar would not be able to make an untrained Knowledge check, but since they are his favorite enemy I'm going to say he can, and I believe he gets a +2 to it as well for favored enemy. He also knows the lower DC knowledge.