New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa put on a quick, innocent smile that showed off her dimples. "I'm afraid it's a Jade wizard you'd need for this kind of advice," she apologized, pretending to misinterpret the silence her arrival had caused. "Do go on... I may not know everything, but I'd like to fix that."

She carefully avoided giving Jager any attention.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    The villagers looked at each other, not sure what to make of Elsa's statement. Jager just glowered straight at her.

"This has got nothing to do with you, witch," he said. "Clear out."
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "Got a message from Herr Jager. Who commands here? It's for his ears only by Herr Jager's orders."

Sieghard shouts back to the sentry.

Spoiler
    Show
    (Sieghard of course already knows the commander is named Marat. He's just being cautious.)
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2013-02-07 at 08:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & co.

Spoiler
    Show
    The sentries looked at each other. One of them seemed to shrug.

"Sergeant Marat commands here!" called back the first man. He gestured to the open gates below. "Come through!"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    There was a beat as Elsa considered her options - ignoring Jager was no longer one of them. She ruled out a violent backlash: the man had no magic, so it just wouldn't be a fair fight. A safer response would be a witty remark, preferably about Jager's parentage, but she had none on her lips at the moment. Or there was still the simple, defiant reply to any command: Make me.

No more recklessness, she told herself firmly. It's what got you on the run from the Colleges in the first place.

"I'm... aware we started off on the wrong foot, Mr Jager," she said placatingly. It felt like biting into a lemon. "Yesterday I spoke after seeing only one side of the coin; that side being the botched execution of a man I thought was innocent. I forgot my duty as a representative of both my College and the Emperor, and in so doing, I tarnished the reputation of the Bright Order. I'm not in these parts to meddle in local politics, but to gather and impart knowledge... which, I assure you, is what I'll do from now on. All apologies for my presumption."

Spoiler
    Show
    Jager may interrupt at any point. Elsa's little speech got longer than I expected.

Now I see what happens when you piss off the main source of plot in the area: you get locked out of the loop.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    "'Gather knowledge'," said Jager. "Is that so."

"Bit of an out of the way place for a wizard to be studying," he said. "What's the knowledge you were looking to find, then? How to whittle?"

Some of the peasants sniggered, despite themselves. Jager narrowed his eyes at Elsa.

"Why don't you hop on back to Savonne and tell your master what knowledge you've 'gathered'." He took a step closer, cocking his head slightly to one side. "Or is there another reason why there's a fire wizard hanging around the duke's forest?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa suppressed a snicker. Really? Was that what he suspected she was here for?

"Well, if I were here to cause trouble, mister, I'd travel incognito. My master's in Altdorf, not Savonne, and he has better things to worry about than some lordling's wood supply," she snorted, slipping back into her natural insolence. "Like mapping the Aethyric currents over the northern 'Princes for the lord of Savonne, which is what I'm doing. I could share my findings with your duke as well, if he's interested."

She was not a very good liar, but she knew Jager would not believe her even if she were.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    "For the lord of Savonne, is it?" said Jager. He smiled like a wolf.

"Grab her," he said. The villagers gave him a hesitant look.

"What, us?"

"You heard her. She's working for the elf!"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard nods and walks through, waiting to be led to Marat. Though things are going fine so far, he still keeps his eyes open for anything that seems out of place.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & co.

Spoiler
    Show
    Despite the gatehouse's ruinous state, the gates themselves were tall and strong. Their iron fittings were battered and dented, but the blackened oak beams of the doors themselves had not been broken. Looking at the stunted, scrawny trees that grew in the shallow soil of the Karst, Brand knew at a glance that these gates could not have been made from local timber.

On the other side of the gatehouse, a group of four soldiers in chainmail and kettle helms were slouching in the shade of a tatty awning. They appeared to be placing bets on a pair of fat black beetles who were bumbling along a tiny racetrack that had been scratched in the dry earth. When they saw the newcomers, they turned away from their diversion, shouldering their spears and trying to look soldierly.

“Messengers for the sergeant!” called down one of the sentries from the tower. “Take 'em along to Marat.”

The oldest of the soldiers – a man with a face full of grimy stubble and a long scar over one milky eye – looked Sieghard and the others up and down. Sucking his teeth, he nodded.

“Look like you've been dragged here behind a horse,” he said to Adelbert, in harsh, slightly broken Reikspiel. “Come on. With me.”

Inside the tumbledown walls of the fortress, hovels and shacks crouched like feral animals, huddling against the shelter of the curtain wall. Every sign of industry that Adelbert could see was one that would serve the garrison. There was a small smithy, weapons and armour hanging on racks around the forge; a stone-walled grain store and a paltry-looking stable. The peasants he could see were a wiry, fearful-looking lot, much more deferent than the woodsmen of Elmridge. When they saw the party passing with their military guide, they tugged their forelocks and lowered their heads in submission.

They passed a cramped paddock of sheep and goats, crammed in together like sardines in a can. A peasant watched over them from the toppled wall of a smashed cottage, blackened beams protruding from what had once been the roof like the ribs of a great skeleton. Like the fortress walls, the damage had been done long ago: for some reason, it had never been repaired.

Rising above the narrow streets, the central keep loomed over the fortress village like the broken tooth of a giant. Although it had escaped the same damage as the walls, it was not unscathed: its walls were marked as if by fire, and many of its battlements were fractured and broken. An iron cage hung from a gibbet over its main gates, in which Wolfgang could see a pile of brown and ancient bones. They might once have formed a skeleton, but the gristle and ligaments that would have articulated them had long since rotted away to dust: now they formed nothing but a shapeless jumble. The thief thought he could see a skull in there, grinning down at him.

The interior of the keep was sparse and dark, its thick stone walls bare of any decoration. The main hall was floored with rushes, and a large man was counting coins with a smaller man in front of a large, unlit fireplace. The stones of the fireplace had once been carved with some heraldic crest, but the design had been struck off with a chisel.

As they approached the table on which the men were counting money, the big man looked up. The party's guide gave a rushed salute.

“Sergeant Marat!” he said. “These men say they've got a message from Eugen Jager. Sir.”

Sergeant Marat inspected the newcomers. He himself was a broad-shouldered bear of a man, with the beginnings of a gut. His squared-off jaw was covered by a short but bristly beard – already going to grey – and his left hand was missing two fingers, a gnarled scar running deep into his palm. Like the soldiers, he wore a mail shirt, and Sieghard immediately noted the heavy-looking sword at his belt.

“Well?” he asked, gruffly. He spoke Reikspiel with traces of a Bretonnian accent, stressing the wrong syllable from time to time. “What is the message?”
    Last edited by LCP; 2013-02-07 at 11:17 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, so he does believe me after all. Wonderful.

Elsa stood her ground, but her gloved hands tightened around her staff. She could not afford to show fear. The villagers had little idea of the power of a wizard; for all they knew, she could incinerate them all on the spot. She did not want to dispel that belief.

"For Sigmar's sake, it's just business, not politics," she said, going for a contemptuous tone. "The Lord of Savonne pays, we deliver. What do we care about your little wars?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-02-07 at 11:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "Bit of unrest in Elmridge."

Sieghard replies.

"The villagers are behind on the Duke's lumber. A few of them even have it in mind that they can do without the Duke. Herr Jager needs men to make sure they keep working and to keep the troublemakers in check. He requests a dozen good men and a horse to replace the one that bolted when a few of the villagers got too bold for their own good."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2013-02-07 at 11:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    The villagers kept a respectful distance, but as soon as Elsa raised her staff, Jager's sword was in his hand. He held out the point towards her.

"For Sigmar's sake, it's just business, not politics," she said, going for a contemptuous tone. "The Lord of Savonne pays, we deliver. What do we care about your little wars?"
    "Oh, that's alright then," said Jager, the sword not moving an inch. "Suppose I'll just let you go now." He paused. "You know, as spies go, I'd say you're about as clever as an ogre with a head injury."

He took a step forwards, sword outstretched.

"Drop the stick."

Sieghard & co.

Spoiler
    Show
    Marat looked up at Sieghard, not bothering to rise from his seat on the bench.

"And how do I know Jager sent you?" he asked. "How do I know you don't have a dozen of your friends, lying in wait out on the Elmridge road for my men to leave the castle?" He gave Sieghard a scrutinising squint. "This time of year, there's a lot of people wouldn't say no to a bit of fresh horsemeat. Lot of people who wouldn't mind helping themselves to a bit of the Duke's steel, either."
    Last edited by LCP; 2013-02-07 at 11:36 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard matches Marat's gaze trying not to show any hesitation.

"He wanted me to remind you of Grey Fang."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2013-02-07 at 11:41 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & co.

Spoiler
    Show
    Marat stared at the mercenary in silence. The seconds drew on, and Sieghard wondered whether he had said something wrong. Then the sergeant barked a short, explosive laugh.

"Hah!" he said. "Young devil. Fair enough, then. A dozen men and a horse, was it?" He shook his head. "Man thinks I'm made of horses. I'll give him ten men. Schreub, how many horses do we have?"

"Seven, sir."

"Seven." Marat furrowed his brow, looking down at his scarred hand. "Alright then. Give him the Bastard. If he can ride that one, it'll be doing more good than it's doing here. The men'll have to lead it on foot anyway." The man Schreub nodded. "Five archers and five spearmen. That's all we can spare."

Marat looked back at Sieghard and the others. "What're your names?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2013-02-07 at 11:47 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa's resolution to be more cautious flew right out the window. She flashed Jager a toothy grin. "See if you can take it from me."

Initiative: (d10+29)[38]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Though he trys to keep his experssion the same, Sieghard is quite relieved when Marat breaks the silence.

"Sieghard. And a word of caution... There were some men on the road trying to crush travelers by pushing boulders down the crag. Ten armed men aren't likely to have as much trouble as we did, but nothing lost by keeping on guard."

He replies, gesturing towards Adelbert's head wound.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2013-02-07 at 11:56 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & co.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Aye, there is always some jackal waiting on the roads. No honest living to be made in these rocks, so they settle for robbing people." Marat gave a grave nod. "You'll have seen one of them rotting outside the gates."

"You should get that seen to," he said, turning to Adelbert. "Ortholf is our surgeon here, he'll see you right. We'll send Jager his men at first light."

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Jager didn't need any further encouragement. With a whisper of parting air, the sword flew into motion. Elsa caught the blade on her staff, the edge biting into the carved wood with a dull thok.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I won't use a map: the two of you are in contact from the get-go.

Jager wins initiative and does a Swift Attack. From previous posts I will treat Elsa as already having a Parrying Stance prepared.

(1d100)[24] - hit (parried - see below)
    (1d10+4)[9]

(1d100)[55] - miss
    (1d10+4)[14]

Elsa_Parry - (1d100)[5]
    Last edited by LCP; 2013-02-08 at 12:07 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    With a hand gesture as dramatic as it was useless (wizards had to have style), Elsa shouted the words to call forth a sudden, heartbeat-long burst of cold flames around Jager's sword, hoping to startle him into dropping it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Drop, target 4: (d10)[1] - Crud, I'll test WP in the OOC thread.
    Jager's WP: (d100)[57]

If successful, I'll grab the fallen sword with my other half action. (Is it possible without dropping the staff? The staff is two-handed, but I only want to hold it, not wield it.)

The winds slipped out of her grasp like a wet soap.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-02-08 at 08:42 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    It seemed there was a purpose to all that tedious book-learning Elsa's College masters had tried in vain to focus her attention on. Under pressure, the spell slipped malformed from her grasp, and it was only by a supreme effort of will that she stopped the magical backlash burning through her mind.

Jager had no such concerns. As the peasants shrank back from Elsa's theatrical hand gesture, the duke's man pressed forwards, his sword slashing out with deadly speed. A frantic swing of the staff managed to deflect his first strike, but the second stabbed deep into the muscle of her left arm. Drawing the blood-slick weapon free, Jager pressed his advantage. Elsa's arm hung uselessly, blood soaking outward from the deep wound.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Swift Attack again.

(1d100)[17]
    (1d10+4)[10]

(1d100)[34]
    (1d10+4)[14]

(Is it possible without dropping the staff? The staff is two-handed, but I only want to hold it, not wield it.)
    Yeah, I'm fine with that.
    Last edited by LCP; 2013-02-08 at 09:00 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    The surprise registered before the pain. Elsa had never duelled a mundane person before and could not have expected such resistance. Before she knew it, her staff dropped to the ground, suddenly heavier than she remembered it to be; it appeared that the muscles in her left arm had stopped functioning. For a brief moment, her pride, hurt more deeply than her arm, battled with her survival instinct. Could she let herself be defeated by a mere sword?

But then again, many Bright Order duellists prided themselves on being graceful losers...

Ignoring the pain, Elsa put on a smile and made an extravagant bow. "So you can take my staff from me. I'm most impressed, Mr Jager." She drew back a few steps. "That makes it yours by College tradition."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

22. - Top - End - #232
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'm Adelbert Schreiber, late of Averland." Adelbert introduced himself. The scribe looked grateful at the idea of getting his wounds looked at even though Ortholf didn't sound much like the fair, gentle priestess of Shaylla he had been hoping for. Still he nodded in thanks.

"I'm passing on through to Alvarran, is the east road haunted by more of the same jackals?"

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert & co.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Aye. This is good territory for bandits. Easy to hide in." Marat cleared his throat noisily. "One of the reason the duke posts us out here, to make sure the badlanders are kept under control."

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Jager ignored the staff, closing the distance between them and holding his sword out towards her throat.

"Grab her," he repeated to the villagers. This time, they made to obey - the swordsman seemed to have proven himself stronger than the mage. "Tie her up and stick something in that flapping mouth. I'm tired of hearing her talk."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I interpret your last post as a Disengage and some Free Action chit-chat. Jager makes a Full Move to put himself back in contact.

Are you going to resist the villagers?
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa threw a quick glance over her shoulder, trying to evaluate her odds of escaping. She could run fast if she wanted to, but she dared not turn her back on Jager. Plus, running away was rather unbecoming of a Bright wizard.

No matter. Escaping would not be so hard; they could not keep their guard up forever, and if they wanted to execute her they would not run the risk of capturing her alive. Elsa just hoped her little lie had not inadvertently caused a war.

She took a quick gulp from her bottle of spirits before they could take it away from her.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-02-08 at 07:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    A hand grabbed Elsa's wrist as she reached for the flask. Who knew what they thought she was reaching for? In the hands of a wizard, even a seemingly innocuous object could be the catalyst for some fearful magic. The villagers were taking no chances.

Flitch, Elsa noticed, didn't look too comfortable. He hardly seemed concerned for her welfare - but Jager had taken command of the situation with a natural authority. If people were going to start taking Jager's orders without question, that didn't bode too well for the self-appointed middleman.

They had nothing on them with which to bind Elsa's hands, and so they dragged her back to the village. Tying her hands behind her back with a twist of coarse rope, at Jager's insistence they stuffed a ball of rags in her mouth as well. Looking over towards the Wych Elm, Jager gave a nod.

"Your innkeeper got a cellar?"

"Lagnier?" replied one of the villagers. "Aye, he does."

"Sling her down there," said Jager. "And leave someone on watch." He paused, shooting a sideways glance at Flitch. "I'll take her with me when I leave."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

Brand:

"I am Brand, just a guide I will go with herr Schreiber "

27. - Top - End - #237
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert nods thoughtfully. "I see... well good to know to watch ourselves. Is there an inn here or room in the keep for us?"
    Last edited by RossN; 2013-02-09 at 04:16 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert & co.

Spoiler
    Show
    "You can stay here at the keep for the night," said Marat. "Of course if you'd rather not, you can use one of the empty houses. A bit more room that way, but they do get cold after dark."
    Last edited by LCP; 2013-02-09 at 04:50 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    If people were going to start taking Jager's orders without question, that didn't bode too well for [Flitch].
    Elsa noticed the expression on Flitch's face and raised her eyebrow in a silent I-told-you-so, unsure if the man would catch her look. Served him well. By now she was not so sure these people would stand up and fight when the Duke's men arrived, and it was no longer her problem.

She did her best not to wince when they grabbed her wounded left arm. Just to annoy her captors and keep her mind off her injury, she began to whistle the Reiksmarshall's March on the way back to the village, a calculated look of boredom on her face. They finally cut her off at the fourth stanza when they found a rag to stuff into her mouth.

So they would put her in the cellar... She supposed there were worse places to be kept in.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-02-10 at 12:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

30. - Top - End - #240
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wolfgang

Spoiler
    Show
    "I think I'd rather spend my night in one the houses." He said suddenly, and somewhat out of turn. He didn't think his face was known this far west, but he'd rather not take a chance.
    A gracious thanks to Bradakhan for the avatar, and Time Walk's card artist, Amy Weber.

k: ar k ar a rkar k ar k r a kr k a rk r kar k rar kr !