New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff Thread 2

the Halls of Mystery

Mirielle holds up a hand in a plea to back the conversation up a step. "I'm sorry," she says, "but what is the Interdict? I haven't heard of it before, though it sound like something I ought to have."
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Torchtown/Market District

From Oldover House, Cael begins to make his way back to Silverscales, stopping first for some dinner, some music, and a strong drink. Again, he makes a point of routing himself past Ravendark Castle, only this time, he passes the castle on the opposite side from before, using the same spell to refine his approximation of the location of Liara's cell. Upon returning to his room, he makes note of these distances on the map he had begun that morning before turning in for the night.

He rises with the sun the following day, and after slipping the map into the hidden compartment in the heel of his left boot, heads down to the common room for breakfast. On his way out, he makes sure to check with the barkeep for any messages.

Although he is eager for the sum of coin that would come with his afternoon meeting with Aya, he knows he will need more and recognizes that he should not rely solely on the curious Mystran for subsequent work. With this in mind, he decides to explore the city's northern neighborhoods, heading first to Torchtown and then to the Market district in search of any potential employment opportunities.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information: (d20+5)[21]

He'll be keeping an eye out for any job boards or businesses that seem like they may have one inside.

And for future reference, is Liara being held in the northern or southern section of the castle?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

The Halls of Mystery

"A measure of the gods to limit the access to certain magics. Thousands of years ago, mages developed and gods granted increasingly potent and costly spells, an arms race that might have shattered the world with the ever more easily available power." He takes off his glasses and wipes them with a handkerchief. "The Interdict of the Written Word, or sometimes the Lesser Interdict, prevents a spell, ritual or power to be passed on in written form. Any such attempt just produces incomprehensible gibberish. The Interdict of the Spoken Word, or True Interdict, prevents it from being passed on at all. The knowledge of these magics dies with those who developed them."

The job offers in market mainly center on private guardsmen for night duty, paid one gold piece per shift. One of the groups of performers is also interested in a skilled illusionist to enhance their performances, offering one gold piece for each hour some visual illusions are provided. Most other things are menial labor like cleaning and moving wares for small pay, and the Longbottle noble family offers a 'decent' reward for anyone who can track down some of their lost family heirlooms.

Spoiler
    Show
    Northern part is City Hall. South is army barracks and Central Office of the Watch.
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2013-02-04 at 12:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

The Halls of Mystery

"I am glad the gods were able to unite to impose the Interdict, then," Mirielle says with a touch of antitheistic irony in her voice. "It may make our job easier, at least, since it at least narrows down the means that the current abuser of our ritual might have learned of it. I suppose it's too much to hope that it is under the True Inderdict."

Spoiler
    Show
    Out of curiosity, is (1d20+6)[24] (history) or (1d20+9)[15] (arcana) high enough to know of Karsus's folly? And if so, is there a name for the various changes the new Mystra made to magic?
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Interested, at the very least, to hear what one of the Bluff's noble families considers to be a "decent" sum of coin, Cael heads for House Longbottle to see if his knowledge of divination may be of any service to their missing heirlooms.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

The Halls of Mystery

"Hmmm, so innovation is the only road left to the highest levels of power. An interesting choice... it both forces and limits responsibility. Anything you create on that scale is truly yours, and you are to blame for all of its effects; at the same time, you don't need to worry about anyone else putting it to different uses, unless you instruct them directly, in which case you're still responsible... am I getting that right?"

Aya looks contemplative for a while, glancing at Wylam after Mirielle's comment. "Is it? A ritual that grand sounds like exactly the sort of thing you'd want to remove from use, especially if it's a group effort and doesn't require a ridiculous level of personal power."
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

The Halls of Mystery

"The Soulforging grants great power, but it has high requirements and is defensive in nature. As such, it is only under the Interdict of the Written Word. Still, the ritual is lost, as those few able to perform it were killed before passing it on.

You're right in a way Aya, but what you need to understand is the True Interdict is less about raw power than power at too cheap a price. There was a rather simple spell that might have been within your own capabilities Mirielle, able to bring down mighty dragons with a simple touch. That is what it takes for the True Interdict to be imposed."

His voice retains its usual calm and soothing tone, but still his eyes show he is troubled by his findings.

Longbottle residence

This building in the Altarside neighborhood is less pompous than one might expect from a noble family, a decent but unremarkable two-story structure, and the reasons to that become clearer once Cael had a short talk with the Baron's manservant. The Longbottle family was believed extinct for decades, but in his work as former Regent of the Harbor the current Lord found evidence to his noble heritage, and a bit less than a year ago the Council of Lords accepted him as of the true blood and bestowed the lost title on him.
    But in all those years the old lands and family heirlooms of the Longbottle name passed into other hands, and now the new Lord is determined to reacquire them. He offers to pay beyond the nominal value on any such piece, though he only has vague descriptions of most items from those who remember them. The most treasured heirloom is his family's ancestral sword, a blade of green steel with draconic runes etched into one side and the family motto, 'Vigilant in our providence', into the other. For this weapon he is prepared to pay 5000 gold pieces.
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2013-02-04 at 12:44 AM.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

The Halls of Mystery

Aya nods slowly. "Ah, I think I understand. So even the greatest of workings can still be passed on, but only to those who are worthy of them. And those who overreach are overruled."

"Still, it helps that one way or another, we know Amazairyl's ritual can't have been repeated recently. Nice to know that all this work investigating her history is going to be worth it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Shivering Touch being under the True Interdict is brilliant.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

The Halls of Mystery

"Perhaps not as helpful as that," Mirielle interjects. "If it is possible to learn it through the spoken word—or indeed, any non-written mode of communication—it merely limits the breadth of the dissemination, not necessarily how long it might be passed down. If one were to call Amazairyl from the Abyss and offer her suitable compensation, one might learn it from her lips. Or some sort of cult or series of masters and apprentices might have passed it down. Or, if I do not mistake Wylam's meaning, any texts from before the interdict might still have directions. It makes our task less difficult, yes, but not easy."

Mirielle takes off her glasses and rubs the bridge of her nose. She'd not spent enough time ensconced in the library to tell how close she was to her quarry, and prior to leaving the cloister she engaged in projects that took weeks or months of dedicated searching, but the subject matter of this hunt made her more anxious to reach its conclusion and less hopeful of a swift resolution.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

The Halls of Mystery

"A good assessment Aya. Ever pondered going into philosophy?" His smile is bleak, but honest. "I have some books that may be to your liking.

Luckily Mirielle the gods were as observant as you. Knowledge under the Interdict can't cross the planes. It resides in whichever realm the soul of its owner is. If she is just summoned from the beyond we have nothing to fear in that regard. But if her soul was truly bound to some place in our world..."
    He pauses, looking into the distance. "She wasn't the performer of the ritual, so she might not know all the secrets. But perhaps enough for a clever mind to figure out the rest of it." He mirrors Mirielle's nosepinching in a sympathetic urge, then puts his glasses back on.
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2013-02-04 at 04:48 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

The Halls of Mystery

"Mm, breadth of knowledge rather than depth has always been my focus. I spend a lot of time working from little pieces, so I've tried to learn how to expand on them. I haven't had much time for reading lately, but... I think I would be interested in your books, thank you."

Aya studies the cover of the book in her hands blankly for a moment, then shakes her head. "It's another potential motive to keep in mind. If there is some sort of external power source or interference required to engender her temporary release, then perhaps the one or ones providing it have her knowledge as their goal."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Not entirely sure how to present them, but a few questions Cael would have had for the Baron's manservant:
    • Where were the family's "old lands" located?
    • Is it known who last possessed the sword?
    • If not who, is it known when the sword was last in the possession of a member of the Longbottle family?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Harbor District

After a while of walking around, Jorran is beginning to concede defeat. Though it was strange. No Umberlant shrines whatsoever? The church had always been disorganized, perhaps they didn't mark themselves like they did in Luskan. Luskan was far friendlier to Umberlants than Ravens Bluff seemed to be anyway.

Finding the Umberlants was a dead end. But maybe he could find someone else who knew more about the prison ships. There were criminals in every city, and they tended to congregate. How many were there who could be put to death? Quite many, surely. How many were there that had actually been given a death sentence? Less, but still many. And that left many who had had a colleague sent to the ships. Perhaps even some that had escaped and were still in the city, though those were likely to be rarer.

Black Sorrow knew his face, and he might have had lackeys who knew his face too. That had to change. If he asked around with his own face, Black Sorrow might catch wind, but if it was just another criminal nobody... no-one would care.

He steps into a side-alley and flips his cloak, now clad in brown rather than gray. He starts walking in the direction of the market. He needed some shaving supplies, a headband, something to recolor his face, and perhaps hide the more obvious wrinkles. Then he would no longer match whatever description of him Black Sorrow had.

Market --> Gowntown

Returning from his little trip, Jorran sets to his little makeover. He shaves of the beard that had been stealthily advancing across his face for the last few months. He doubles his hair over under the headband, while leaving the headband unseen. Then he sets to dispelling the northerner. Finally, he leaves for the Shadystreets, having nailed that district as the most likely to contain the scum of society.

Spoiler
    Show
    Buying a disguise kit (essentially, the whole kit thing seems like a bit of an abstraction.)
    Disguising as an indeterminate not-Jorran: (1d20+3)[17]
    I'm guessing there's another +5 on top of that for "minor details only", as he's only trying to make it so that he doesn't quite match what someone looking for his face would expect to find.

And trying to find a fistfighting arena (Shadystreets sounded likely) or some such.
    Knowledge (local): (1d20+1)[7] - To know of where such a place might be found.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

The Halls of Mystery

"I'll leave a book or two for you later then. If you both excuse me, I have some business at the High House to attend to. Oh, Rika sends her apologies for her behaviour at the revel."

Cael
    Spoiler
    Show
    They had an estate NE of the city that was appropriated by the city during the war to serve as fortification. It was badly damaged and Longbottle reacquired it, currently working on extensive repairs.
    They had farmland N and NE that passed into other hands, most of it to the Leorduin and Hawkdragon families.

The sword was reportedly last used in a duel that killed the last Longbottle heir(leaving his father childless). There are conflicting reports whether the opposing fighter(the current Lord Hawkynfleur) or Longbottle's own second took the sword afterwards.

The duel was 34 years ago. The Longbottles wiped out 31 years ago.

Jorran
    Spoiler
    Show
    You already know about the fighting ring in Seaman's Death from your Clue Cards. You've actually seen it, it was the blue circle on the ground.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Longbottle residence

Cael nods, taking a moment to commit this information to memory before continuing with his line of questioning. "And the second, do we know his name?"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Longbottle residence

"I am afraid not sir. The late heir liked to associate with people of common birth, and the second was one of these friends. His father might have known, but he perished as well and after thirty years no one we asked could even hazard a guess."
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2015-03-26 at 09:01 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Longbottle residence

"I see. And the duel was held here in the city? I imagine the contest would have drawn quite an audience. Perhaps there remains a written account, an archive of the local history or a simple public record?" Thinking aloud to himself as much as he is speaking to the manservant, he adds with a soured expression, "maybe even a personal journal or a diary..." He shakes his head, clearly considering these to be a last resort.
    Last edited by rypt; 2013-02-05 at 05:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

The Halls of Mystery

Aya smiles slightly, watching Wylam leave, then sets back to work studying histories. As lunchtime approaches, she looks to Mirielle expectantly. "Shall we leave off for now? We've got other things to take care of."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Longbottle residence

"I am afraid you lack familiarity with the local duelling tradition", the old man says, raising an eyebrow. "They are a private affair. Just the duellants, their seconds, maybe a lady if she is the item of the dispute, which was not the case here. The duel was fought as is usual in the DeVillars Park come nightfall. An obituary and certificate of death is certainly around somewhere, and if he had a journal that item would likewise be lost and something the Lord is interested in seeing return."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Longbottle residence

"I am afraid you're right," Cael smiles apologetically. "Am I to understand then, that such contests are not uncommon? And may I ask: if not for a lady's honor, what was the nature of the dispute between Lord Longbottle and Lord Hawkynfleur?"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Longbottle residence

"Reportedly some sort of insult was given to Lord Hawkynfleur and he issued the challenge. The details elude me, his Lordship and I work on recovering the family history but with thirty years in between it is a slow process. And the duelling practice was outlawed, I think some ten or fifteen years ago?"

Seaman's Death

At this early hour, barely above half a dozen people are in attendance, a group of four playing dice, some others nursing a hangover with bread and water. The blue circle on the ground evidently saw use last night, judging from the traces of dried blood in some places.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

The Halls of Mystery -> The Raven's Glory

Mirielle jots down the book and page she'd stopped at in her notes and begins clearing away the clutter they'd produced. "Yes, let's head out. Jorran and Alaister will be waiting for us, I think."

At the restaurant Mirielle is silent until food is ordered, at which point she begins her story with no prologue. "Last night Aya, Jorran, and I went to Pumpside to investigate an apartment fire that Misti had written to me about. A few people were one injured and a-a man named Aldar the Rashemi was killed. Aldar was a friend of my family and a good man. He was the one, in fact, that first suggested I visit Misti. He also suggested a, well, a disturbing possibility.

"When I was in my twenties a young man asked me to marry him. I accepted, and my parents held a party to celebrate. I was about to come down the stairs to the party when I smelled smoke and heard screams from downstairs. I tried to get down the stairs but couldn't, and so I broke a window and jumped out.

"I landed poorly and broke a few bones and struck my head, but I was told later that the doors had been stuck shut, and no one escaped. My family, my fiancé, and his family all died in the fire.

"Aldar suggested that Cybrarvain might have been responsible for the fire, though that was nearly a decade ago. I had never considered the possibility, but it certainly fits. If he thought I knew something that might condemn him for my family's and family-to-be's murders, he may have burnt down my library to try to kill me."

Mirielle sighs. It's been long enough since her family and beloved perished that no tears come to her eyes, but her stomach still feels leaden after recalling the story.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

The Raven's Glory

"It fits with what I've been thinking about him," Aya says, looking pensive. "But it's still pretty unusual. If he saw you jump, or afterward, and thought you dead, though... depending on how you spent the next ten years, that just might be plausible. Even if it was him, though, I feel like eliminating a witness is a pretty weak motive for the second fire. After that long, either you'd have already spread any information he feared, or you'd have long ago decided it wasn't worth the risk. Maybe he just doesn't like the idea of someone escaping him."

"Yesterday's information, though... I think I can see what he's doing." More confident now, she continues. "I figure he's really quite good at killing people who can't defend themselves. Setting up the scene, getting the target where they can't escape, finishing them off without leaving any evidence of his involvement. But you're ready for him. And you're quite capable of defending yourself. He wants you dead, but he's not sure what to do about it. He's out of his depth, so he's reaching. Trying different things. Threats, emotional attacks, going after your ties... he's hoping you'll try too hard to stop him and give him some sort of opening, because without one, he's never going to reach you."

Aya sighs, flicking away an invisible fly. "Problem is, if we don't stop him, this'll get annoying pretty quick, or more than. We've got too many other things we don't want him interfering with. So, Miri, if you were going after... yourself, where would you go next? What's the next item on the list - that you'd value, and that he'd know about?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

The Raven's Glory

Mirielle smiles bitterly. "I assume you mean were I a psychopathic arsonist? I don't know. Aldar was the only person from my old life that I was in contact with in the Dragon Reach, there's very little my church has in the city, and the only people I've spent much time around are the three of you, Keeva, and Magnus. I suppose he could try to kill one of you, or Keeva, but I think he might find that difficult, and I doubt he knows whether I have any emotional attachment to you or not.

"Though, that does remind me. I ran into Vandroy the other day—you remember, the Mage that greeted us our first day here—and went to lunch with him. While I was there I received a note via courier that said only 'Soon.' I can't imagine who else it might have been from, and given Vandroy's predisposition for fire magic, Cybrarvain may have been trying to send up false flags. If so, it was very clumsy."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

The Raven's Glory

"Maybe. It does rather sound like it was meant to seem too obvious to be coincidence, force you to split your attention even if you didn't really believe it. Still odd, though; I can't really place it."

"People aside, though, what about things, or places? Psychopathic arsonists don't restrict themselves to living targets, even if they are assassins."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Longbottle residence

"Understandably so. I only ask because it seems all but inevitable that at some point I will require information that only Lord Hawkynfleur can provide. Whether it be his account of the duel, the identity of his second, or something yet unknown, can I expect him to be cooperative or even credible in such matters?"

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Longbottle residence

"It is not my place to speak ill of a highborn Lord." His voice makes it clear this topic is not up for discussion. "Should you wish to discuss matters with him, I hear he is easiest to approach when one shares his love for and skill at hunting."

Spoiler
    Show
    You should finish up here and meet Aya
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2013-02-09 at 11:34 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Longbottle residence

Cael nods his acknowledgement and does not press the matter any further, the manservant's non-answer seemingly an answer in and of itself.

"Well I think you have given me all that I need to begin my search," he says, rising to his feet. "I thank you for your time and for your insight. I will be sure to keep you and your lord apprised of any developments."

Departing the Longbottle Residence, Cael heads straight for the Raven's Glory, stopping only to grab lunch from a street vendor on the way. If Aya is not already waiting outside, he finds a shaded area by the door to wait for her.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

The Raven's Glory (afternoon)

Aya arrives shortly after one, nodding when she spots Alhruar. "Good to see you again. Let's get to work; I've got something else for you once we're finished."

Once the mapping is finished, Aya nods decisively, carefully rolling up the map and stowing it away. Taking a small pouch of coin she'd counted out earlier, she spins it around a few times before holding it out. "One-sixty, as promised. Thanks for your help. But I believe I promised you a chance for more work, and as I thought, something appropriate has come up."

Glancing around to ensure no one is in the immediate vicinity, Aya lowers her voice a little. "Might you be interested in a chance to correct a rather nasty abuse of power here in town, and get paid for it in the bargain?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Seaman's Death

Jorran cursed himself internally for his timing. Of course places like this would be mostly empty at this time. He had been out of Luskan for so long, he was losing his touch. Nevertheless, the ones that were here... probably regulars, might know something.

He shoots a meaningful look at the bloodied fighting ring. "Who fights here?" he asks. "Is there anyone here to look out for? Anyone who has done serious time?" He continues, as if challenging the criminal cred of the place.

The Raven's Glory

Jorran taps his fingers on the table, listening. Cybrarvain certainly seemed like a strange character. Who was his criminality benefiting? No-one? That was no-way to break the law. "Can we even expect any predictability from this guy?" Jorran asks. "Honestly, if I were him, I'd be long gone at this point. Aya's right. He can't be trying to silence you, he's several years late for that. I get the feeling this Cybrarvain doesn't value his hide too highly."
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!