New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Default DTK Ashvale [IC thread]

Ashvale
    Day 137 of the 1034th year of the Agrelian Union

"So begins the first meeting of the 16th order of the Ashvale Martial Defense Committee."

A wiry young man stands at the head of the table at which you all find yourselves seated. You are in a large administrative room on the second floor of the Town Hall. The enormous table, surrounded by over a dozen chairs, fills the majority of the room, which is otherwise devoid of any furniture. The walls, however, are ornately decorated with paintings framed ornately in gold, and intricate wooden carvings depicting heroic members of Ashvale's past. This current gathering hardly fills half the table, leaving the room with an uncomfortable ambiance of emptiness.

The man (who you would all know to be Arin Hillman, the treasurer of Ashvale) is well dressed, in simple but beautiful cream-colored robes. To his left, a youthful looking adolescent wearing a light-green robe of similar fabric is seated at the table, and he begins writing down the man's every word on a lengthy scroll of parchment.

Arin seats himself at the head of the table and continues his introductions in a dignified drawl.

"As you are no doubt aware, you are all gathered here today in light of the recent evidence suggesting impending attacks from the Hobgoblin horde of the eastern mountains. You have been selected by your community as outstanding members of our great society capable of both organizing and leading the defense of the city. Our collective safety rests in your hands."

He pauses a moment to let his scribe catch up, but also, you have to imagine, to let his words sink in. After looking around the room with a stern, meaningful gaze, he resumes.

"Now, if you would all be so kind, I would ask that you all formally introduce yourselves to the rest of the committee, and in doing so, ceremonially accept the task entrusted in you by the Town of Ashvale."

He raises a hand towards his scribe, indicating that this need not go on the record, before adding:

"And be brief, please... we have much to accomplish today."

Spoiler
    Show
    Please introduce your character to the rest of the group, including a brief description of his/her appearance. See the NPC below for a model.
    Last edited by thechosen2nd; 2013-01-18 at 03:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: DTK Ashvale [IC thread]

A large man seated immediately to Arin's right rises from his seat, his clean steel chain-mail clinking softly as he stands. A longsword rests in a deep red scabbard on his left hip, and an ornate helm sits before him on the table. The beginning signs of age are starting to show in the form of lines on his face and specks of grey in his hair, but is is still a formidable looking man, appearing to have maintained the grace and strength of one much younger than himself into his later years. He speaks in a deep voice, exuding confidence and power with every word.

"Baylor Windspear, captain of the town guard. I've been charged with protecting the city from harm for nigh on twenty years, and I don't intend to stop now. No harm will come to the citizens of Ashvale so long as my sword is in my hand. That's a promise."

As he re-seats himself, he adds with a grumble:
    "Though I doubt there is any more cause for this gathering than there was for the last one. Hobgoblin horde my arse."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

On the other side of the Table a man in his twenties rises from his seat. His Black hair are just below shoulder length and are tied in a low ponytail. Despite his medium height his posture is that of a man much taller and his built is slender with his hand being slightly stronger than the rest of his body and covered with small burns. His motions as he stands up are smooth and precise lacking any excessive movement and yet despite that he seems ready to burst into action at the first sign of trouble. His deep blue eyes scan the area and the people currently present in it before starting to speak.

“My name is Ergrim of Serenity, serif of Ashvale for a little more than a year. I gladly accept the duty I was entrusted with and I pledge once again my musket and my life in the service of Ashvale. No harm will come to the citizens of Ashvale so long as my body still has breath in it. That's a promise".

Then as silently as he stood up he re-sits waiting patiently for the rest of the gathering to introduce themselfs.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Next is a stocky, well-built man in armour, who leaves his hefty halberd propped against the wall of the administration room. A colossal mane of brown hair is tangled over his shoulders, above a tattered red cloak.

"Sergeant Mafalma Ban Simba, in command of the King's 317th Wide Patrol, here on temporary leave. And what timing that turned out to be. I offer my skills as a tactician, skirmisher, and front-line fighter. And on a personal note, I, like many here, have family in Ashvale. My sister's baby girl is not yet three weeks old. This city is hers, not the hobgoblins, and I pledge my life to it's last to defend it."

He sits back down, then suddenly remembers something.

"Say hello, Jabari"

And the lioness at his side roars her greeting, and pledge of loyalty.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

The fourth member doesn't stand, though he does at least remove his feet from the table, Well, I can't quite claim to such lofty goals or such long roots, but I'm here to help same as you lot. It's harder to tell while he's seated, but the man appears to be about the same height and build as Ergrim. His muscles are not terribly large, but they appear toned. His own thin blade hangs from his belt, and a gleam of his chain shirt reveals its beauty from beneath his simple but tough clothes. My name is Teryl Anderson, former member of Duke Lyus personal guard and one of his tactical advisors. My blade and I both stand, or, I guess, sit, ready to do what we do best, protect and kill. Er, we don't do those to the same people of course. The point is, my strategy and magic are at your disposal.
    Last edited by Jallorn; 2013-01-18 at 08:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

The final occupant of the room nods to himself as the others go through their introductions. Most of them he knows, if only by sight. Mafalma he hasn't seen in years, since the younger man left to join the army. The only member he doesn't recognise is Teryl. After the others have spoken he pushes himself to his feet. Even in his advancing years he remains a huge presence, standing head and shoulders taller than everyone except Baylor. For once he isn't dressed in his blacksmith's apron but in a smart, somewhat plain tunic, albeit with a slight patina of what is most likely soot. His speech when it comes is warm and relaxed, with what might be a hint of amusement.

"Most of you already know me. My name is Brian Odarsson. I was born here and I've spent the last couple decades growing old here. Before I settled down as a blacksmith I was a paladin of Iomedae, and some skills it seems don't dull with time." His face takes on a more serious cast and the warmth leaves his voice as he adds, "I can't do more than echo Mafalma and Ergrim's sentiments: if the hobgoblins do come, they're going to have much more trouble than they could ever want."

He glances to Baylor and chuckles, "Old friend, are you still grumbling about that? Everyone enjoyed the nice day's ride and what hobgoblins there were turned tail and ran when they saw our numbers. It's hardly a shepherd boy's fault that he can't count well enough to tell the difference between a small raiding party and a horde. After all, they always look like more close up."

He nods to Arin as he takes his seat again, "Shall we get on with it then?"
    Last edited by Jojomo; 2013-01-24 at 05:50 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Next to Brian sits a old, bald man, clothed in grey robes. His hands are folded in his lap, and he appears calm, but very deeply lost in thought. He's hardly looked up at all throughout the meeting thus far, and he doesn't bother to rise out of his seat to introduce himself. His words are few, and seem chosen carefully.

"I am Tom Krestson, though around here I am known as old Tom. I will offer my advice to help best defend the citizens of Ashvale from the Hobgoblin horde."

Meanwhile, Mr. Windspear looks over at Brian with a confused look.
    "Not sure what you're talking about, Brian, but I'm referring to the last Martial Defense Committee, formed about 15 years ago, when there were last rumors of hobgoblin attacks. As I recall, Miss Boilweather's 4-year-old son saw a wolf, and thought it was a hobgoblin. Got the whole town in a tizzy over nothing."

Arin was waiting, a bit impatiently, for everyone to introduce themselves, and now he resumes, talking quickly:

"Of course, I am Arin, town treasurer, and current overseer of administrative operations in Ashvale, since the Mayor decided to takes some "vacation time"... conveniently just after he heard the rumors about hobgoblin attacks... (The mangy coward...)"

"Anyway, as Brian suggested, let's get on with it."

He lays out a large map on the table. As everyone leans forward to examine the map, Arin leans back, and continues talking.

"Now. I believe, as one of our first actions, surely it will be vital to assess the current condition of the walls throughout the entire circumference of the town as soon as possible. As you can see, our information on the quality of the walls is severely out of date, and aside from a few minor repairs, most of the wood is over thirty years old."

Baylor interjects:

"And who's fault might that be? As I recall, I've been trying to get the wall rebuilt for the past decade, but for some reason our budget is always too tight!"

"And I've told you, time and time again, that I cannot approve a budget plan without sufficient data! The fault is yours, as you are the one who obstinately refuses to follow protocol!"

Tom sighs, his face still completely serene and his voice even: "The faults of the past matter not, it is the future that concerns us."

Both Arin and Windspear shoot murderous glares at old Ben.
    "What's that supposed to mean, old man?"

Tempers are clearly rising already, and the meeting has barely started. Looks like this could be a long day...

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

The map has pretty much everything you could possibly want to know about the fortifications. Large sheets of paper attached behind the map detail building costs, dates of repairs made, and other valuable administrative information about the upkeep. It is clear that records or repairs in recent years are significantly lower than in earlier decades.

The map I provided you is obviously just the stronghold at the main gate into Ashvale, since if I included the whole city it would throw the scale off. All you really need to know though is that the wall surrounding the rest of the city is your typical wooden palisade wall, made of large stakes around 12 feet tall, and pointed at the top. That's pretty much all you've got right now for defenses.

Any questions, ask Arin or Baylor, although you might want to try to diffuse the tension first...
    Last edited by thechosen2nd; 2013-01-21 at 07:22 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Listening to the increasingly heated exchange with a sinking feeling, Brian resists the temptation to roll his eyes at Baylor's reply, Ah, Baylor... all these years and you still don't quite grasp the subtleties of sarcasm. Next time I'll have to remember to wiggle my fingers when I mention "hobgoblins". Anyway, it did make for a pleasant ride, and we did scare the wolf off... I'd trade hordes of hobgoblins for a few wolves any day.

In the somewhat chilly silence, Brian raises his hands in a conciliatory manner, "Gentlemen please, this meeting will likely take long enough as it is, and arguing amongst ourselves will only take more time." He stands and turns to Baylor with a contrite expression, "Baylor, you are right of course, I apologise for making light of that incident. In fact," he turns to Arin, "The new reports we have of hobgoblins on the move: are they reliable or might we be dealing with another case of mistaken identity?"

Resting both hands on the table, he studies the map for a moment, thinking to himself, "Let us face facts gentlemen, I know at least a few of us have military experience, and we know that budgets are never as high as we would like. After all, what any commander wants is limitless resources." He nods towards Ergrim, "I'm sure law-enforcement is similar."

He locks eyes with Arin, "That said, I'm sure we are all also aware that gold is always precious and what with the relative peace in recent years, defence hasn't been a priority."

He straightens, and lets his gaze wander around the room, looking at each face in turn, "Come gentlemen, let us put aside whatever hard feelings any of us may have and concentrate on the task at hand: the defence of our homes and loved ones."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check to calm the mood to head off two pages of bickering:

(1d20+12)[21]
    Last edited by Jojomo; 2013-01-24 at 05:51 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Mafalma sits and listens to Brian speak before answering himself.

"Sir, surely the first thing we must do is ascertain whether there is a threat at all? I will happily volunteer to take a patrol and scout tomorrow. Any force large enough to pose a threat will leave signs, and then we can know better how to prepare. And if we do find any foes, we will then know what we must prepare for. If a priest or wizard were able to accompany me, we could even relay information magically, giving us even more time!"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Heh, sorry, I misread your post... excellent recovery though, way to roll with it. Also, props for catching on to the fact that I was hinting for a diplomacy check way faster than the other thread

Both Arin and Baylor bow their heads in shame, and mumble their apologies.

"You are right of course, Brian, although in this case funds are not so much the issue as the lack of sufficient data. The Town council is unyielding in their requests for thorough documentation before and after construction funded by taxpayer's coin, to ensure that the people's money is being well spent. It should not take long to survey the walls though. I expect we could get it done this afternoon, and most likely could begin construction tomorrow."

"Well said Brian. And Arin, that sounds like a good plan to me. I suppose if the people need their documentation, then we shall have to give it to them. I would very much like to get those walls fixed up... at least we can agree on that."

"And Mafalma, I like that idea best of all! I believe a scouting party is definitely in order, to put these rumors to rest."
    Last edited by thechosen2nd; 2013-01-20 at 09:52 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I have spent much of my time these past couple years studying architecture, especially defensive architecture. I'd like to take the lead on the survey, and oversee repairs and expansions on the walls. I know a few good designs that can give you maximum strength with minimal resources, which will allow us to both do more with less, and in less time. Teryl is just glad the bickering got cut short, he was never the best at heading off such arguments.
    Last edited by Jallorn; 2013-01-20 at 10:34 PM.
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ergrim in turn acknowledges Brians words and the effect it had in the meeting and nods politely back at him. He waits until he finds an opening to enter the ongoing conversation “If we do decide to send a scouting party, and we should, I volunteer to join.” He pause briefly as if considering something before going on to add “As for whether we should be alerted from the rumors or not take it from one that has suffered having his hometown destroyed that it’s better to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.”

13. - Top - End - #13

Mafalma nods in approval. "Then it's decided. Ergrim and I will scout the area to see what we can find. Are there horses in the city we can make use of? And anyone who can help us relay messages? We need to move fast. If there really are hobgoblins approaching we may not have much time."

14. - Top - End - #14

Brian nods, smiling as tempers cool. "I agree: doing some reconnaissance is an excellent idea. I'd volunteer to come along too, but I've never been much of a rider, I'd probably slow you down."

He snaps his fingers as a thought occurs to him, and turns to Baylor, "While we're speaking of gathering information, do we have a good picture of the current strength and equipment of the town guard? I occasionally do some work for them, but I've really no idea what their actual numbers are. I could certainly take a look over their equipment and see if there's anything that could be added or improved."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

"The guard stables can provide horses for a scouting mission, although we can't spare the men; they have jobs to do themselves. Besides, they aren't really trained in reconnaissance. Perhaps it's best just the two of you go."

"The town employs 25 guards (That's including myself, mind you) who are all fully equipped with decent arms and armor. The last time we raised a militia it came to around 200 heads, although many of those heads had naught but a rust helm to protect them, and more than a few folks wielded only a pitchfork for fighting. If we do find the need to raise a militia, I think having a word with the local blacksmiths will be in order.

Although I still say we're overreacting... Hobgoblins this far west...nonsense."

Suddenly, as if on cue, a shrill ringing sound resonates throughout the town.

Baylor bolts up, and grabs his helm.
    "That's the gate-bell... only for emergencies..."
    He rushes out of the room without another word.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Leaping to his feet immediately after Baylor's exclaimation, Teryl rushes after him, drawing his rapier as he does. The thin black blade practically leaps from the scabbard, as if gasping for air. Are you ready my friend? Teryl asks telepathically.

I am always ready to shed the blood of your enemies, it responds.

Last edited by Jallorn; 2013-01-21 at 04:51 PM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Brian's head whips around at the sound of the bell, his jaw locked in consternation. A low growl escapes his throat as he remembers chiding his eldest son Julian when the boy had suggested coming to the meeting in armour, Nobody ever said the gods don't have a sense of humour... or comedic timing, he thinks grimly.

He exits the room at a run, shoulder-to-shoulder with Teryl.

18. - Top - End - #18

"Blast it!"Mafalma cries, picking up his halberd and running after the others out to the gate."Jabari, come!"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ergrim doesn’t say anything at the sound of the gate-bell but instead leaps to his feet and starts rushing to the gate as fast as possible. He clenches his jaw as he can’t help but think his hometown Serenity at its last hour. With a gaze that promises death he is determined to not let history repeat itself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+14)[23] That's an Acrobatics check in case you need it to reach at the gate faster (yey for parkour)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    assuming you are all running, it takes Mafalma 12 rounds (unless you are riding your lion?), and 8 rounds for Baylor, Ergrim, Brian, and Teryl. Remember, running for longer than your con. score means making a DC 10 check to keep running.

Ergrim arrives at the gatehouse first, with Baylor, Brian and Teryl close behind. There is a small crowd of anxious citizens gathered, with three guards trying to calm everyone down. One guard is in the barbican, gazing out beyond the city walls. As he hears you approach, he shouts down:

"It's a wagon, under attack on the road! about 100 yards out now; Looks to be goblins! At least 10... nay, closer to 20 of them!"
    Last edited by thechosen2nd; 2013-01-22 at 07:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+14)[16] perception check, this is to assess the situation spot how many hobs are attacking how far away they are , if there are any leaders or caster among the raiding group etc

Ergrim moves swiftly to a spot where he can look and confirm the dire news that the guard yelled. With the musket already at hand he is ready to provide covering fire and to move closer once he has a better understanding of the situation.

22. - Top - End - #22

Brian mutters a barely audible curse under his breath as he hears the guard's shout. He turns to Baylor, "Old friend, it seems I am becoming complacent in my old age and neglected to come to our meeting properly equipped for combat. Could I prevail upon one of your men to loan me a weapon? A sword would be best but anything will do."

To Teryl, he says, "I imagine the three of us, Mafalma too once he catches up, will be sufficient to deal with the goblins unless they are unusually competent. I suggest we hold them off until the wagon can get inside the walls. Once it is we can either withdraw or finish them off depending on how things go."

He calls up to Ergrim, now atop the barbican, "What do you see Serif? Anything more than "some goblins"?"
    Last edited by Jojomo; 2013-01-24 at 05:51 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Mafalma soon catches up, clanking in his armour but powering forwards like a rhino in a rage.

"Goblins on the road, you say? Well no time to waste, get those gates open and take positions! You, soldier, open those gates! Forwards with all speed!"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate check to get the gates opened quickly. Well, you can't expect a Sergeant to use Diplomacy, now can you? (1d20+9)[12]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Staying himself from charging for the wagon immediately, Teryl instead takes a moment to make some odd motions and speak some arcane words. This action culminates in him touching Brian, a flash of power passing from Teryl's hand to Brian, and Brian suddenly blurring at the edges. That should help the lack of armor, he says.

Spoiler
    Show
    Round 1 before Mafalma gets there, cast Blur on Brian as Standard Action, then spend a move action to head towards the wagon. Round two and three, full round run action. By then, the goblins should be aware of him, so he might charge in, or not, depending on what they're doing at that point.

Certain actions relegated to after gate opens.
    Last edited by Jallorn; 2013-01-23 at 09:59 PM.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Ergrim:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You see approximately 20 little green creatures chasing a large wagon. I realize now that saying it was 100 yards out before was a bit silly...it would get to the gate before Mafalma. We'll call it 100 yards out as of NOW. (and that's yards, not feet, mind you.)

Baylor jumps into action as well, calling out to one of the guards and ordering them to grab an extra sword out of the armory. The guard comes running back out just as Mafalma and Jabari come trundling down the road.

Another guard, who appears to be a bit overwhelmed by the whole situation, starts stuttering out a response to Mafalma's order.

"B...but, the goblins, then they could get in..."

He looks to Baylor, who glares daggers, and growls:
    "You heard the man. open the damn gate."

*gulp* "...Yes sir"

Baylor turns to Brian, Mafalma and Teryl.
    "I'll get the guards organized with crossbows to cover your retreat... but if they're too close on your tail we can't open the gate. Stay smart... and stay alive."
    With that he rushes off into the stronghold armory, and the gate creaks open in front of you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Teryl, as the gate was not open yet, you could not charge towards them yet. We weren't really in combat rounds yet either, the rounds of running was just to keep track of anyone becoming fatigued. Casting blur at this point is fine though.

Round 1 begins...NOW. everyone can go ahead and roll initiative. I'll do a post in the OOC thread to explain how combat rounds will work. And I'll update the map when I can.

26. - Top - End - #26

Brian shivers slightly as the magic takes effect, then stares at his hand for a moment as its outline shimmers. He shakes it in front of his face a few times, watching the odd after-images trail behind it. He smiles, though it is difficult to make that out through the illusion, "My thanks Teryl, a decided improvement."

When the guard returns with a sword from the guard, he nods his thanks. He takes a few practice swings, testing the blades balance. "Not a bad blade, though I haven't used one this size since basic training," he remarks.

His smile fades to an eerily calm expression. He grips the hilt in both hands and bows his head as he intones a quick prayer, "Light of the Sword, guide our hands.".

As the gate opens, he raises his head.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check to see if I can get luckier and pick out any leaders: (1d20)[14]
    Last edited by Jojomo; 2013-01-23 at 12:02 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

The moment the gate opens, Teryl is off like an arrow from a bow, running full speed towards the wagon and the goblins, surveying them and their movements carefully as he charges.

Perception: (1d20+9)[29]
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    ok so in the OCC thread I rolled a 15 for initiative. 100 yards is 300 feet so that’s out of even my max range... also no touch attack and a -10 on the attack roll... hm yea I am running there as well for my first round

Ergrim is quick to follow Teryl running to reach the wagon. Worry not Teryl I am right behind you. Come on Brian and Mafalma the party has already started there won’t be any left to kill! His expression quickly gets more severe Do you see their leader Teryl? I couldn’t pick him at this distance.

29. - Top - End - #29

Mafalma too, sprints as fast as he can forwards, ordering Jabari to run ahead and begin the attack.

"Remember,"he shouts,"Priority is to get the wagon and the civilians back, not killing hobgoblins! Try to hold them up so the wagon can escape!"
    Last edited by HuskyBoi; 2013-01-23 at 08:23 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Brian takes off close behind the younger men, though Ergrim's last comment bothers him, "Battle is not a party Serif, and one should not fight to kill," he calls as he runs.