New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Headhunters!!!

1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Headhunters!!!

Caerwyn's stance changes slightly, dropping into a more balanced form as he observes the results of the spell, waiting a moment for the dust to clear to see how far the spell had penetrated.

Spoiler
    Show
    Activating Crane Stance - both stances are now active. Waiting on the rest of my action until we find out how well the disintegrate worked.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

The emerald beam hits the boarded-up window and with a flash of light the barrier is gone; planks, window, bars and brick are all reduced into fine dust blown away by the wind, leaving behind a ten-feet-wide hole in the manson's front.

Through the gap, Stella can be seen, harried by the terrible monsters that guard the mansion; a large swarm of bats!

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Mist pours out of the tiny gaps in the old mansion's main door and ground-floor barred windows... and a few moments later solidifies in a dozen heavily-armored, helmeted forms with longswords and tower shields. Well over six feet long, the towering black knights spread an aura of otherworldliness...

In the skies above, thousands of bats pour out of small holes in the mansion's roof and form into several dozen swarms - most probably summoned by the vampires below as soon as intrudes were detected.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Fortitude Save (1d20+16)[24]
    Fortitude Save (1d20+16)[34]

As the dust clears from the barrier, a form quickly shoots out like a bat out of hell. Landing close to the others with a rolling landing, Stella lands near the others gracefully and painlessly. Now cut all over her body by bat bites, she stands up and watches as the vermin follows. "Welcome to the party guys."

Spells on Stella
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended Mind Blank, Level 8 (Greater Extend Rod)
    Freedom of Movement, Level 4
    Air Walk, Level 4
    Heroism, Level 3
    Extended Invisibility, Level 3
    Magic Circle against Evil, Level 3
    Extended True Seeing, Level 6 (Rod of Extend)
    Last edited by CowMasterTrojan; 2013-01-31 at 06:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

I smiled cheerfully at the appearance of the Black-clad Knights; I'd been waiting for something to kill!

With a savage movement, I slashed my left hand down towards them and an explosion of sound and light seared the air around my fingertips; a baleful arc of Lightning erupted from my index finger, tremendous heat and light ignored by habit and my protective lenses.

The bolt of Lightning I had conjured tore through the air, striking the foremost guard squarely, the charge exploding through her metal armor. The Electricty Surged, separating and sparking through her backplate, more Bolts spearing into the rest of her cohort, striking each in turn.

The final bolts, out of Guards to strike, flashed into the air, tearing holes in the nearest swarms of Bats.

Teeth glinting, I flew down into the crowd of injured Guards, My Blade flashing from its Sheathe, pitch-dark blade scything invisibly through the Night.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, lets open up with a Chain Lightning on our Vampire Friends, hitting them once each (with the final six bolts being aimed at any Bat Swarms that are in range)

DC 22 Reflex Save for Half Damage (DC 20 for all targets after the first, who take half this damage automatically, and a quarter on a successful save)

(18d6)[5][4][3][6][2][5][5][4][1][1][1][2][6][1][2][5][2][3](58)

Then spend my move action to fly over to them (so, if they're within 40ft, I'm there!)

Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    Forgive me for being ignorant, but how would 15/adamantine protect the dragon from hitting the ground at over 4,4 billion newtons?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

"Let's do this.", Solan mutters with a glare. "Time Stop."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm doing what you think I'm doing. (1d4+1)[3] rounds of apparent time. Buffs up are Haste (~13 rounds), Overland Flight (the rest of the day) and Invisibility (17 minutes, unless Disintegrating the window broke it)
    Last edited by AttilaTheGeek; 2013-02-01 at 09:08 PM.
    Homebrew: TemporalistQuotebox • Avatar by Kris on a Stick
    Blue is for sarcasm • Call me Attila

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Round 1:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Summon Monster VIII for (1d3+1)[4] Greater Fire Elementals.

Quickened Summon Monster VI (quickened through metamagic rod; rod has 2/3 charges left) for (1d3+1)[4] Large Fire Elementals.

Round 2:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Delayed Blast Fireball, to detonate in 2 rounds. (15d6)[48], reflex DC 29 for half.

Quickened Greater Invisibility.

Round 3:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Delayed Blast Fireball (on the same half as the first fireball), to detonate in 1 round. (15d6)[39], reflex DC 29 for half.

Quickened True Strike.

Buffs up afterward:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Haste (~10 rounds)
    • Greater Invisibility (17 rounds)
    • Overland Flight (several hours)
    • True Strike (1 round, or until my next attack roll)
    Last edited by AttilaTheGeek; 2013-02-01 at 09:44 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the lightning and fire blossoms around the armored figures, Caerwyn bares his teeth in a feral grin. Launching himself off the air itself, he shot down at the lead guard like an arrow, slamming headfirst into him before exploding in a whirl of claws on his unfortunate target.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pouncing charge at the lead guard to full attack at the end.
    Unarmed strikes(using head, so no bite):
    Attack:(1d20+29)[32](1d20+24)[42](1d20+19)[22]
    Damage:(2d8+15)[27](2d8+12)[21](2d8+12)[21]
    Claw attacks(including the rakes from the charge):
    Attack:(1d20+28)[41](1d20+28)[29](1d20+28)[48](1d20+28)[40]
    Damage:(1d6+15)[16](1d6+12)[17](1d6+12)[14](1d6+12)[18]

If the lead guard goes boom before my turn comes up, then I'll go after whichever guard is behind him.

Spells active:
    Extended Mind Blank, Level 8 (Greater Extend Rod)
    Freedom of Movement, Level 4
    Air Walk, Level 4
    Heroism, Level 3
    Extended Invisibility, Level 3 <--- this'll go poof after I attack
    Magic Circle against Evil, Level 3
    Extended True Seeing, Level 6 (Rod of Extend)

Last edited by Llewelyn; 2013-02-02 at 11:26 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Ilya Dlardrageth

<<Everyone regroup outside the mansion.>> Ilya narrows her eyes as the soldiers form up out of the mist and five quick steps takes her to the nearest one, her blade out and flashing through the air without a sound. <<Our goal is to rescue the scouts, not a frontal assault. Form up on the street behind me, we need to disengage.>>

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift Action: Challenge nearest soldier.
    Move Action (50ft speed): Move to soldier.
    Free + Standard: Draw katana and Iaijutsu Strike (Power Attack + Furious Focus) soldier.

Iaijutsu Strike
    Attack vs Armor Class (1d20+32)[38]
    Weapon Damage (1d8+48)[52]
    Iaijutsu Damage (9d6)[37]

If she hits, all foes within 30ft must make a DC 23 Will save or be Shaken for (1d4+1)[4] rounds (most likely irrelevant - vampires) and a DC 23 Fort save or be Deafened for (1d4)[3] minutes (most likely irrelevant - undead).

Also if she hits she'll attempt to Demoralize him as a free action. Probably won't work (vampires), but it's her style.

Demoralize (1d20+34)[40]

AC 34 (36 versus her Challenge target)
    HP 167/167
    F/R/W +20/+19/+12

Spells & Effects: Haste, Challenge, Scabbard of Keen Edges
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

The brilliant arcs of electricity strike the armored knights in a torrent of sparks and thunder but -surprisingly for such heavily armored individuals- they dodge out of the way, taking little apparent damage. The lightning arcs to the swarms of bats overhead - but to even less effect.

A split second later, Solan's magic takes effect; several towering figures made of red flames in vaguely humanoid shapes appear before the mansion, crowding the enemy. But that is far from all Solan did; blasts of fire powerful enough to crack stone and melt metal roar against the enemy. The mansion's front door is blasted inwards, its wooden beams and bars no match for the blasts. Cobblestones and the brick of the mansion's outer walls fare better, but even they turn red-hot, their surface melted and blasted away to the depth of several inches. But the dozen enemy knights have apparently prepared for such attacks; those within the blast radius roll aside, catching as little flame as possible... and the fire that does touch them is absorbed, drunk in by an invisible layer of protection before it can burn them. Solan recognizes the effects of a magical protection from the elements - almost certainly attuned against fire, a vampire's enemy.

Caerwyn strikes out at the closest guard, his claws and fangs combining with his training to dish out a great deal of punishment. Except that the "heavily armored" guard dances away from one of his blows, several more are deflected by an unseen force and those that do strike do not hit armor. What they do hit is soft yet unyielding, with the properties of unarmored flesh and iron both, clothed in a silk sheet light enough to be all but nonexistent. Caerwyn's target grunts softly - a high pitched, feminine grunt - and his claws come back coated lightly with silvery ichor at the edges.

Illya has fewer troubles than the others with their foes' apparent invulnerability; she jumps close to another guard at the frontline and draws her blade in a lightning-fast motion, its arc intended to take it through the target's guts as it comes out, combining the force of a deliberate blow with the momentum of a lightning-fast two-handed draw. The elven knight's target screams, silvery ichor splattering pavement and combatants both. The scream is unearthly, musical and feminine, its tone even more ethereal and magical than that of an elven singer, from what Illya remembers of such things from her early years.

The enemy growls in outrage at their vanguard's receiving such powerful attacks. More than half of them turn towards the two apparent frontline combatants - Illya and Caerwyn. Two of the knights turn to face them directly, seemingly glaring at them with fury... and the weight of the fury hits Illya and Caerwyn like a hammer to the head. Caerwyn's target reaches out towards him with a light touch despite her apparently gloved and unarmed hand. Unarmed or not, Caerwyn has heard of the life-draining abilities of vampires and is not about to underestimate that gesture. Similarly, Illya's opponent performs exactly the same attack upon the elven warrior.

The remaining fiends of darkness search a moment or two for the sorcerer that blasted them with fire and summoned the elementals. Not finding them thanks to Solan's greater invisibility, they all focus on what they've identified to be another spellfaster - Faunra. Their supernatural stares hammer at the oracle, knocking her to her knees...

@true seeing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Those of the group with true seeing can see the nature of the enemy now that they have come close enough to attack and out of the strange mist that suffuses the mansion's lower layer;
    All of the "knights" are female; tall, lithe women with the pointy ears of an elf, the dainty fangs and claws of a vampire, the coal-red eyes of a demon and the curves of any man's dreams. They are unarmed and unarmored, clad only in a gossamer gown of spidersilk, sheer, sleeveless and ethereal, tied with a simple silvery sash at the waist. Despite their lack of weapons, shoes or other articles of clothing or war, they fight with a feral ferocity to match their looks.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

I scrunched up my lip in annoyance as the Knights danced away from Flame and Lightning, pondering the situation. They were clearly more agile and evasive than anyone wearing Heavy Armor had any right to be.

This might be a challenge I thought to myself, not particularly upset by it. Challenges that could be surmounted were always enjoyable.

Briefly touching each of the four daggers at my belt, I whispered the spell that would turn them into a whirling storm of Mithral. The Blades unsheathed themselves and floated into Orbit around me, quickly picking up speed as did so.

I considered roaring loudly as I cast a second spell at the closest Knight, sending a shock of Electricty along the Length of My Blade with a quick gesture and a whispered Arcane syllable. Practised motions, guided by My Blades own skill and power, whipped around the Knight's armour and struck between the gap between her Breastplate and Helmet; the Lightning discharged from My Blade and arced into the Knight.

I twirled around on the tips of my feet, falling into a half-crouch, My Blade twisting like a snake and hooking around, and slashed across the back of the Knight's Legs, aiming for the flesh behind her knee joint Armor. The black metal of My Blade cracking like a whip, I slid back and performed a half pirouette, changing my grip so that I could strike again on her other leg. Satisfied with my work, I bounced back to my feet, and ran the dark edge of My Sword two-handed along the Elbow of her Sword Arm.

Executing another Pirouette, I whipped My Blade around my body and released my left hand from the hilt. Moving my now free hand to her Breastplate, I drove the point up of My Sword into her Armpit.

I pulled in close to my foe, as close as a Lover, and sighed, before pushing hard against the Breastplate and pulling My Sword free, the pitch dark Blade now stained with silvery blood. With a flick, I dislodged most of it from My Blade, which was purring in pleasure.

<<We drew a lot of attention to ourselves. We kill the Noblewoman here and now, before she has time to properly retaliate, or to escape. We might not get another chance>> I sent to the others through the Telepathic bond, watching my enemies through the Ring of Daggers orbiting me <<So, what am I fighting?>>

Spoiler
    Show
    Klara doesn't have any ranks in Knowledge: Religion, and I don't think identifying Vampires falls under DC10. So, she doesn't actually know what these guys are

First, using Spell Combat to cast Wreathe of Blades, to provide myself with a bit of extra damage to throw around against them, if I'm going to be in the thick of Melee. I'll get around to other Defensive Buffs... soonish

When we get to combat, the first thing I'll be doing is use an oh-so-precious Free Action for Black Blade Strike, giving me +4 to hit and damage for the next minute. This, along with Haste, means that I've payed for my Combat EXpertise and Spell Combat, which is nice.

Next, a Quickened Instensified Shocking Grasp, channelled through my Black Blade with Spellstrike. Sadly, they're not actually wearing Metal Armor or wielding a Metal Weapon, so I don't get the nice +3

To-Hit (1d20+30)[34]
    Damage (1d6+21)[23]
    Shocking Grasp (10d6)[20]

Then, my Full Attack routine.

To-Hit (1d20+30)[33]
    Damage (1d6+21)[24]
    To-Hit (1d20+30)[50]
    Damage (1d6+21)[27]
    To-Hit (1d20+25)[32]
    Damage (1d6+21)[26]
    To-Hit (1d20+20)[31]
    Damage (1d6+21)[23]

If, at any point during this routine, my target stops being Alive, then I'll switch targets to the nearest enemy within range of my Blade and/or 5ft Step.

I think at this point that we should go on in. If the Noblewoman isn't dead by the end of this, its unlikely we'll get another chance to hit her. She was not necessary likely to come to a social function we put on, and she's certainly not ideal to leave around. Also, if we don't torch the Coffins the Vampires are hanging out in, then we'll have to destroy them again

And stabbing multiple times probably counts as interaction, at least enough for a Will Saving Throw (1d20+17)[34]

EDIT: Buffs and Other Relevant Statistics inbound!

Buffs:
    -Haste (Duration 9 Rounds)
    -Overland Flight (Duration ~15 Hours)
    -Scabbard of Keen Edges (Duration ~49 Minutes)
    -Wreathe of Blades (Duration 18 Rounds)

HP: 174/174
    AC: 51 (T31 FF38)
    F: +21
    R: +23
    W: +17
    Last edited by Golden Ladybug; 2013-02-04 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    Forgive me for being ignorant, but how would 15/adamantine protect the dragon from hitting the ground at over 4,4 billion newtons?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Solan looks down, irritated. They don't want to burn? I'll make them burn! "Greater Dispel Magic." How do you like that?

Hearing the conversation through the telepathic bond, Solan comments. <<We're here, now, fighting guards and making a huge scene. If we back off now, she'll be even more prepared for the next fight. We need to press forward. As to exactly what they are, I'm guessing vampires, but that's about it.>>

Spoiler
    Show
    Greater Dispel Magic as an area dispel, naming Resist Energy. Dispel check: (1d20+18)[30] against DC 11+ CL. I'm aiming the 20' radius to catch as many as I can in it.

No move action- I'm still 40' in the air.

HP 111/111
    AC 29, Touch 17 FF 17.
    50% miss chance for invisibility.
    F/R/W +13/+12/+15

Buffs:
    -Haste, 9 rounds
    -Overland Flight, ~18 hours
    -Greater Invisibility, 16 rounds
    Last edited by AttilaTheGeek; 2013-02-04 at 05:52 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Caerwyn nimbly sidesteps the touch, much the same as his opponent had avoided the weakest of his earlier strikes. <First blood! They wear illusion. No armor, only flesh. Avoid their touch.>

The elven leopard leaped back again into the air as he took their measure, watching the strange creatures warily. Quickly, he scratched out a strange gesture. In response, his claws and teeth seemed to grow slightly sharper... or was it just their imagination?

Spoiler
    Show

Moved back up 50ft into the air. They can try an AoO against AC53 if they really want to, and even if the first one does manage to land a blow, I can deflect the first melee attack this round with no issue. After that, casting Strong Jaw on myself.

Buffs:
    Strong Jaw (7 minutes) <--- just cast
    Extended Mind Blank (48 hours)
    Freedom of Movement (~170 minutes + perm from ring)
    Air Walk, (~170 minutes, assuming 10 min from scout arrival until combat start)
    Heroism (~170 minutes)
    Magic Circle against Evil (~170 minutes)
    Extended True Seeing, (~26 minutes)

HP: 185/185
    AC: 49 (T33 FF41)
    F: +24
    R: +26
    W: +22

Last edited by Llewelyn; 2013-02-04 at 05:55 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Without warning a heavily armored figure wades recklessly into the fray, his polearm gleaming as it slices deadly arcs into several of the false knights. As his weapon spins this way and that, the warrior cuts a savage path through to his allies. His body language and contemptuous leer practically dares his enemies to attack him.

Spoiler
    Show

One month later, reinforcements arrive!

- As a free action, activating Haste via his Mithral Full Plate of Speed.

- Using the Lunge feat to extend his reach by 5' while taking a -2 penalty to AC.

- Activating Robilar's Gambit. Final AC of 31, and enemies get +4 on attack and damage rolls against him.

- As a free action? Designating the most dangerous-looking enemy (or else the nearest one still standing) as the subject of his Ring of Foe Focus. +2 AC and Saves. vs that one enemy.

- Using his archetypefeatures, he will combine 50' of movement with a full attack action. The attacks can be made at any point during his movement.

He will attempt to move into cohesion with the rest of the party, hitting enemies on the way there. Trying not to get in the way of their spells and ranged attacks.

He will put one attack into each enemy within reach. If he misses an enemy, he will retry with his next attack.

- Automatically makes Trip attempts against any enemy he hits and deals 10 or more damage to, via the Knock-Down feat.

Full Attack Routine:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Iterative:
    Attack: (1d20+44)[47]
    Damage: (1d10+35)[41]
    Trip Attempt: (1d20+46)[63]

Haste Attack:
    Attack: (1d20+44)[52]
    Damage: (1d10+35)[45]
    Trip Attempt: (1d20+46)[55]

Second Iterative:
    Attack: (1d20+44)[56] (with +5 bonus from Weapon Supremacy)
    Damage: (1d10+35)[44]
    Trip Attempt: (1d20+41)[60]

Third Iterative:
    Attack: Flat +44 (taking 10 on the roll, again via Weapon Supremacy)
    Damage: (1d10+35)[36]
    Trip Attempt: (1d20+36)[40]

Fourth Iterative:
    Attack: (1d20+29)[30]
    Damage: (1d10+35)[44]
    Trip Attempt: (1d20+31)[37]

Note: Pierce Magical Concealment ignores miss chances from spells and SLA's. Miss chances from mundane causes still apply.

Attack & Damage Accounting (for me as much as for the DM):
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack:
    +18 (BAB)
    +12 (STR)
    +5 (Enhancement)
    +4 (Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Focus, Melee Weapon Mastery)
    +6 (Weapon Training + Gloves of Dueling)
    +1 (Haste)
    -2 (Lightning Strike)
    = 44

+2 on the Trip attempts (Improved Trip)

Damage:
    +18 (STR w/ two-handed weapon)
    +5 (Enhancement)
    +6 (Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon Specialization, Melee Weapon Mastery)
    +6 (Weapon Training + Gloves of Dueling)