New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Headhunters!!!

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Headhunters!!!

With no idea of her companions trouble, she carefully switches the gloves she wears. Putting on her gloves of reconnaissance, she then receives the message from Caerwyrn. Turning she glances in their direction. They were still far enough away to not be a threat, for now.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm almost done here I hope.

Placing her hands over the wall, she uses the gloves. If the wall is less than 15 feet thick, it allows her to see inside. She looks inside for 2 rounds, and if she sees no one then she will spend 1 ki point and step through the wall with ghost step.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

The house is entirely lightless, and very dusty and spooky but Stella is not frightened. After all, the corridor she can see is entirely empty. Using her supernatural mastery of the arts of hiding and sneaking, she crosses through the wall and into the building.

As soon as she does so, she suddenly feels heavier. Her weight doesn't increase but the feeling of carrying around a metaphorical anvil or having thrown a metaphorical anchor persists. And a light greenish glow plays against her skin and clothes.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Clearly magic is in use. Thankfully no one is around. Yet. Knowing this isn't her area of expertise, Stella uses her telepathy to get the information of others.

Just barely inside the house. As soon as I entered, I immediately felt some sort of metaphorical anvil on me. Not weighing me down, just doing something else. I also seem to be glowing light green. Anyone have any idea what this is?

Spoiler
    Show
    Stella uses another Ki point and tries to leave. Knowing that she can leave at any time is worth 2 extra ki points being spent to come back inside. If this does what I think it does, and she can't, priorities will be different.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Stella is unable to phase through the wall; her form remains stubbornly corporeal. She suspects the greenish aura on her is to blame, the magic anchoring her in some way.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Dimensional Anchoring inside the house.

Stella quietly begins making her way towards the nearest exit.
    Stealth(1d20+47)[58]

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

The house remains dusty, dark and empty. Ancient, cobweb-covered, slowly rotting furniture adorns every room in this floor and the interior doors have long-since been broken or collapsed under their own weight as they rotted. Decorations of brass, copper and iron have mostly rusted away, carpets and curtains have been reduced to moldy patches of slime and even the marble statues of the once-proud manor are blackened and pitted. The building might have remained unused for years but this isn't the kind of wear and tear that happens in a decade or two; this would need centuries... or the corrupting touch of some foul power.

Stella can't find an exit that hasn't been walled over and covered with thick iron bars. Opening one of the windows would take nearly as much effort as pounding through a brick wall now - and she hasn't seen the main door yet.
    And the more she stays in the house - nearly a minute by now - the more danger she's in. The clang of weapons from below has stopped and the atmosphere is getting thicker, puffs of mist rising through cracks on the floor...

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

On hearing about the anchoring, Caerwyn cursed softly. He could either try and see if the sewer entrance was still present and unguarded, which didn't seem likely given that finding, or he could teleport back to the castle and rejoin everyone else, by which time everything might be over.

Turning, he began to make his way back through the sewers in the direction of the estate, padding carefully through the murky depths. Attempting return and entrance through sewers. Continue or rejoin at home?, he sent back.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

They are coming. They likely know someone is here. So be it. I will not go quietly.

Stella begins looking for stairs as well as a door out. If she couldn't escape outward, she would escape upward. As she moves, she changes her gloves back. She was trained for this. Calming her breath and heart rate, she moves swiftly through the shadows.

Do you know for certain there's a way up through the sewers?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Slate gets dressed S he sees the others prepare to head out, he knew he was going to have to go into town and probably bash some heads in.

Sighing as he donned his armor, he strapped his trusty shield to his back and re-strapped his sword belt back on.

Returning to the meeting area, he stalled for a moment to listen to the two scout already afield.

Good thing too.

Her quickly turned to those present.

"quick! Who can get us there now?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I can teleport us to Waterdeep" I told the others, Slate's urgency clear to all, "I've been all over that city, including the area around the Estate, so there shouldn't be any problem getting there"

I held out one hand to the others, and looked down at My Sword in the other. Knowledge was what I needed right now, and the Blade - My Blade - was what taught me this Magic in the first place. It knew exactly what I needed.

My Blade's voice whispered instructions directly into my mind, and I felt our bond waver ever so slightly... then the Spell blossomed into my Mind.

"Shall we go?" I asked, broadcasting the same question along the Telepathic Bond to the two scouts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spend 5 Points from my Arcane Pool to prepare Teleport. We're probably going to need to get there faster than 5 Minutes if we're to bust Stella out of the Dimension Locked House before Vampires start rocking up. Or Half-Aboleth Vampires. Or Normal Humans (but who would be cruel enough to do something like that )

Ready an Action to Cast Teleport. I'm treating Klara's Familiarity as Studied Carefully, if you've got no objection to that Belial?

No one open this until we Teleport, 'kay?
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[15]

Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    Forgive me for being ignorant, but how would 15/adamantine protect the dragon from hitting the ground at over 4,4 billion newtons?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Don't know for sure, but if not can try coming up near there.

Quickly, the elven snow leopard made his way through the pungent tunnels. Once he was fairly close by his reckoning of distance traveling, he began to look for any signs of a way up, either to the street above or into the building itself, while keeping a wary eye out for any signs of magical protections.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival(for reckoning of distance): (1d20+30)[39]
    Stealth(just in case): (1d20+53)[56]
    Perception(to find a useful way up and avoid any protections that True Seeing etc might spot)(1d20+32)[50]

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

As Stella moves to the top floor of the mansion, she hears the flapping of hundreds upon hundreds of wings. In moments, the entire corridor is filled with countless winged things the size of mice that bite and scrape at her with tiny claws; bats. Literally thousands of them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stella takes 5 swarm damage. DC 11 fortitude save or be nauseated. She also has HP bleed 1, meaning she'll be losing 1 HP/round till she receives healing magic or a DC 10 heal check.

Also, she doesn't find any exits this round.

In the sewers below, Caerwyn finally finds those tunnels that lead close to the mansion above. The smaller path to his left leads to a sewer drain exiting before the mansion at ground level. A much bigger path, wide enough for a small boat to float in the foul stream of sewage, appears to lead beneath the mansion itself. Unsurprisingly, this second path has recently seen maintenance, new supports and quite a bit of cleaning to the subterranean sidewalks; it is obviously being used by someone... or something.
    Last edited by Belial_the_Leveler; 2013-01-24 at 09:14 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Before accepting the teleport, Solan casts Overland Flight, Haste on the party, and Getaway. "I have gold for spell components, but I don't have them on me and we don't have time to zip down to the local magic shop." He turns to Faunra. "Can I have a True Seeing, please?". He then turns back to the rest of the party. "Does anyone want invisibility?" ((If so, he gives them Invisibility.)) He then casts Invisibility on himself.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Entrance below. Well-used, probably guarded or trapped. What is teleport destination?

After sending the quick query, Caerwyn remained in the shadows at the fork, waiting for the answer to determine which way he goes.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Fort Save (if it's 2+, I make it) (1d20+16)[28]

Stella uses a her move action to move out of the center of bats. She spends two ki, as a standard action she throws a ki charged shuriken into the center of the bats. The shuriken explodes with destructive fire, a 5 ft radius.
    Shuriken attack roll (1d20+22)[34] (Supposedly if it hits, the creature takes a -2 to saves. How that works with swarms it doesn't say.)
    Damage (5d6)[2][6][3][3][1](15) (DC 27 reflex for half)

Finally, no longer invisible from fauna, Stella uses her vanishing trick to become invisible once more.

Yeah, this mansion is definitely a trap. They knew I was here as soon as I entered. Currently being attacked by a ton of bats.

Stella makes a few swipes in the air, but is no fool. There are too many, too scattered to hope to kill with her claws. Cartwheeling backwards, she tries to put a small amount of distance between her and the bats. Stopping only 30 feet away, she turns and slips a shuriken into her hand.

"Try a taste of this!" She cries, and tosses it into the center of the bats before they could follow her. The shuriken glowed as it traveled into the center of the bats, before exploding in fire and shrapnel.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing solan casting he too casts several spells, and then wastes no time, grabbing a hold of Klara's offered hand.

"I am ready"

Spoiler
    Show

Divine power
    Greater Invisibility
    See Invisibility
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2013-01-24 at 02:55 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Solan slings his two rods across his back as he takes Klara's other hand.

"Let's go."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Ilya

<<Discovered already?>> Ilya thinks through the mental bond. She stands up from the table and checks that her blade is loose in its scabbard then walks over to Klara.<<Our priority should be in evacuating Stella and Caerwyn . The reconnaissance has been ruined; we must retreat. It would be most unwise to attack her in her stronghold.>>

Spoiler
    Show
    Activating her Scabbard of Keen Edges (last for 50 minutes).
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Stella's supernaturally charged shuriken explodes and takes out the swarm of bats that was attacking her. Stella is about to go invisible when she hears the flapping of more wings from other directions and more swarms appearing from every direction. She's not sure if her invisibility would even help in this case - don't bats navigate perfectly even in total darkness? In any case, these swarms each take up the width of a corridor - they'll bump onto her, invisibility or no.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3 more swarms coming up. Stella realizes invisibility is not very useful against bat swarms - you can have her go invisible anyway but that would be a waste of ki
    Also, she'll be covered by a swarm again by turns end so take another 3 damage and DC 11 nausea effect.

Spoiler
    Show
    waiting for the teleportation destination from the others - before the mansion, inside the mansion, under the mansion or somewhere else?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

I would say the same spot as they did, or is Karla trying to Port directly to one of them?
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

21. - Top - End - #51

Spoiler
    Show
    Klara's intention was to land the teleport outside the mansion, presumably on the street in front of it (although our friendly neighbourhood teleport alley would also be fine).

Klara's hasn't been inside the compound before, so aiming for it would' e been somewhat ill-advised. If we all land outside, we can still easily storm the place and rescue Stellafrom the feared "mildly annoying bat swarms" before actual vampires start showing up.
    Last edited by Golden Ladybug; 2013-01-25 at 05:38 AM.

Forgive me for being ignorant, but how would 15/adamantine protect the dragon from hitting the ground at over 4,4 billion newtons?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

The teleportation spell deposits the team -minus Stella and Caerwyn- before the manor's heavy double doors. The portal is ten feet wide and fifteen tall, made of once exquisitely carved, iron-bound heavy oak but now blackened, its decorations worn away. Thick wooden planks have been used to board up the entrance and, presumably, it has been sealed from the inside as well given what Stella saw of the windows.

At almost the same time, Caerwyn comes out of a nearby sewer grate, having felt the group's arrival through the telepathic bond.

As far as you can tell through that same bond, Stella is on the mansion's third (and top) floor, in a corridor not far from the building's front.

Spoiler
    Show
    You guys post actions and roll initiative. If you want to wait for someone else's actions first, please indicate so.

23. - Top - End - #53

I staggered slightly once the spell discharged, the sickly feeling that always accompanied teleportation fading too slowly for my liking. I shook my head, and pushed off into the sky.

"I'll try to give Stella an exit" I told the others, welcoming the others to do the same.

Spoiler
    Show
    Overland Flight is already active, cast while I was burning down taverns for rumours. I'll use at least one move (two if I have a second. Depends on whether we arrive the same turn I used teleport) to fly up to the third floor, and then to the closet window to Stella I can reach.

For initiative, (1d20+14)[26]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking at the large imposing gate, Solan warns the rest of the party. "If we just stroll nicely through the front door, they'll be waiting for us. Best to go around the side and find Stella." Solan flies up next to Klara, and tries to find a way to open the window quietly.

Spoiler
    Show
    If I have enough actions left to cast a spell, and the window is locked, I cast Knock.

If the window is just boarded up (as opposed to locked shut), or if you rule I can't Knock it because it's a window instead of a door, I turn to Klara and say "Should we just use some of our trademark subtlety and blast our way in?"
    Homebrew: TemporalistQuotebox • Avatar by Kris on a Stick
    Blue is for sarcasm • Call me Attila

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Caerwyn senses the two take off into the air, and takes off running into the air after them by way of the Air Walk. If he had been visible, anyone watching would have seen him change as well, his form shimmering as he shifts from a snow leopard into his hybrid form.

Once there, he took up an offensive stance, muscles taut under spotted silver fur as he prepared to face the enemies within.

Spoiler
    Show
    50' move ought to be plenty enough to join them up there. Using the standard to shift, since that's normally a move action. Once up there, activating dragon stance as a swift action.

If the window is boarded up, after Solan's question Caerwyn shrugs and says, "They already know we're here, so why not announce ourselves properly? When feint-and-pounce fails, there is always scream-and-leap."

Initiative: (1d20+9)[19]
    Last edited by Llewelyn; 2013-01-26 at 10:26 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Ilya Dlardrageth

<<I will guard the front.>> Ilya says through the bond. <<Maintain silence, speaking only through the bond until we've escaped.>> She walks down the steps slowly as she watches the street for approaching guards, her right hand lightly gripping the handle of her sheathed blade.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+9)[23]

Ilya will spend her turn getting familiar with the area and looking for anyone either hidden or approaching.

Perception (1d20+26)[46]
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Using the telepathic bond, the team can easily coordinate with Stella inside the building and thus the flying team members reach the third-floor window closest to her.

But the boarded-up, barred, walled-up window responds to no unlocking attempts, not even magical ones. Probably because it no longer has a lock any more than a wall does - it will have to be destroyed or bypassed.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Solan says, through the bond, "Well, then. Shall we?"

He points his index finger at the center of the boards over the window, and a thin green beam strikes the building. "Disintegrate!"

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Shamus stays on the ground, not having the combatative means to fly as some of the others of the party, with his two signature weapons in hand and ready he searched about, making sure no one was approaching to make things worse for them.

<<I shall remain down here and secure the area from the ground, we need to keep control of the area, get them out, and fast!>> He thinks to the rest of the team, he always hated it when he was out of his element, and others were leading the charge to the enemy.

He would have to by some boots of flying, because a flying carpet just doesn't cut it sometimes...
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

30. - Top - End - #60

Satisfied that the others could Disintegrate their way to Stella's aid without my help, I floated calmly above the nearly created Hole in the wall, keeping an eye on those rushing inside and those still on the street.

Eyeing the streets and the hallways, I eased My Blade slightly from its scabbard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just delaying my Action at the moment, and waiting for something that requires stabbing/debuffing