New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: (3.5) Escape from the Myst (IC)

Wyrd grins at you as the magic spreads out into him/her and others. S/he grabs you by your cloak and takes a step. For a moment the world shimmers in an odd way, and then both you and Wyrd are on a nearby roof.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks, Wyrd. Though, what did you just do? Maybe we can talk about it later? Now, then... how to get to the temple.

I look around, trying to get my barings.

Spoiler
    Show
    made spot and knowledge (local) checks, figuring those are the appropriate skills.
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-01-26 at 08:42 PM.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You notice that you are near the docks, on a roof of a building that sits near the harbor, below is the writhing mass of the peasantry as they flee in masse. You barely note the changling next to you picking up a small coin of some ferrous metal but you do manage to catch it. Wyrd swings his/her crimson locks out of her/his face and smiles somewhat wearily at you.

"Later, perhaps. The high-ground is a highway for us right now." S/he says as s/he indicates the rooftops. You are startled to note that the buildings are close enough together to create an almost literal road all the way to the small church of the Sisterhood. You know this wasn't intended, as you've read up that the cities small alleyways and grid-like street system were an innovation when the Duke who founded this city set down the ground work. The system was supposed to create a city with as many defensible points as possible, which the many small streets help do so. "We could make good time by using it."

Bonus
    Spoiler
    Show
    The city has a defensive system that activates a wall of force that rings itself around the entire city. Your Knowledge (Local) let's you remember this and the fact it can only be activated by casters given special permissions from the local Duke.

Also this City itself is 450 years old. Just FYI.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, let's go!

I make my way to the sisterhood's church as swiftly as possible.
    (movement rate 30 ft, 60 ft for the first minute - while the extended haste lasts jump mod +1, +13 while haste lasts)
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-01-29 at 10:12 PM.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

For the first minute you cover much of the ground that took you much longer last time. You move as the crow flies over the roofs of the many buildings and make much better time. By the time you feel the magic in your limbs fade to normal levels and you begin to slow down you are well over half way across the distance and it only takes you two more minutes to make it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Make three Spot Checks; 1 for each minute spent in the skyline. 20 ft above ground level.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Peek inside Pielion's Mind:

Spoiler
    Show
    Those cloudkills would... kill me on contact for sure. I don't have the spell loadout to fight them effectively, either. The wardens are probably all at the docks. The only people I know of around here that might be able to help are the Sisterhood. Besides which, I have to make sure Sindri and Raven will be alright.

As per usual, and possibly exasperated by the situation, Pielion is not particularly perceptive. Though, he does get somewhat moreso as the haste spell wears off.
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-01-29 at 10:40 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You can make out the Cloudkills moving about the harbor and it is only after three minutes of solid glancing about every now and again lost in thought that you note the three small armies on the land side of the city. Each is barely large enough to be called an army of any sort, barely a hundred solders each, but the fact that they are also releasing Living Cloudkills from their ranks shows they are at least in league with those on the ship.

There are a force of gobliniods lead by several hobgoblins who have a large lumbering thing following in their wake. Another force seems to be of normal folk, lots of half-elves and humans. The final force is smaller than all of them you note nothing unusual but a large banner barring a skull imposed upon a scythe, followers of Nerull.

Spoiler
    Show
    The point of the game will be made clear soon...

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Upon reaching the church:

Sisters! Sindri! Raven! Nerull worshipers are attacking! The ship released living cloudkill spells, three regiments are attacking from from the land supported by some sort of large warbeast and more living cloudkills!

Spoiler
    Show
    "regiment" is just my best guess at the proper name for units of that size.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Raven seems completely taken aback by this new information and she stays silent as she processes it. Sindri grins like a beast of carnage and stops starring appreciatively at the fresco's. The Eldest, however, has a buisnesslike look upon her face.

"I know of the attack Windwalker, I felt the Wall drop as would any who is a part of it, but the news you bring..." The womans composure is flawless even though you are sure she must be worried, she quickly fishes a set of tarot cards from her robes and gives them a quick shuffle. "Well or woe, I wonder."

In the distance there is the sound of thunder shattering the clear skies.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Peilion watches the Eldest's use of the cards with interest, but does his best not to interrupt or distract her.

Spoiler
    Show
    made a spellcraft check to determine if she's actually casting some form of divination.
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-01-29 at 11:52 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Augury is a relatively basic spell, but as far as divination goes it is one of the more effective. As the priestess casts for answers from a higher power Raven shakes herself from her shock and rushes over to you.

"You can't leave me hanging on such little information you two! Debrief me now!" She all but shouts.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

*Pelion nods, then looks about for a map of the city. If he can't easily find one, he looks for a convienent clear patch of floor and uses prestidigitation to draw a basic map for use as a visual aid.*

Right. As I mentioned, the ship, which appears to be a warship similiar in build to ones used in the last intercontinental war, disgourged a significant number of living cloudkills. *adds symbols to map to indicate this* When Wyrd teleported us to a nearby roof to ease our travel here, I noticed three addtional forces attacking from the landward approaches. *adds symbols to indicate these forces' positions and composition* This one looked to be composed mostly of goblinoids, lead by hobgoblins. They had some kind of large warbeast, or maybe siege engine- I didn't get a proper look at it- with them. This force seemed like a unit from a conventional army. Composed of humans and half elves. That unit seemed similiar to the second, except that it was flying Nerull's banner. Each seems to be roughly a hundred troops in strength, except for the banner bearers, which seemed to be somewhat smaller. All three seemed to be releasing additional living cloudkills. I couldn't determine anything more.

*looks to Wyrd*

Did you notice anything more of note?
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-01-30 at 12:20 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Raven stares at the map for a few moments and nods at the surprisingly comprehensive debrief she'd just gotten. Sindri glances over the map and swiftly walks over. Once he is next to all of you he devotes more time to looking over the map. Sindri opens his mouth but is quickly interrupted by the Eldest's voice.

"Woe betide they who fight this seige directly. Well betide those who do battle indirectly. Woe betide past the seventh day of this seige. Well betide the forth day."

Bonus
    Spoiler
    Show
    +200 xp! Inventive use of Prestidigitation, VR maps for the win.

Wyrd nods to your question.
    Last edited by 'Able' Xanthis; 2013-01-30 at 12:28 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

*I turn to the Eldest*

So, atacking the invaders directly is nearly certain suicide. I would have guessed that given the crawling clouds of health burning death they're throwing around. But if what you say is correct, we have hope for a chance to do something in three days, assuming today is counted as the first day of the siege. Also, if we haven't broken the siege or rendered it moot in six days, we'll be even more screwed, not to put too fine a point on it, than we seem to be now.

Eldest, given the intell Wyrd and I just offered, and the knowledge your spells and position give you, what's the likeliest amount of time you think we have to prepare any response? Can we afford to prepare ourselves for the fourth day, or will every inactive moment cost us?

Oh, almost forgot, and I am very sorry for so nearly forgetting, have you been cured, Sindri?
    *seems more than alittle ashamed for forgetting the wellfare of a friend, even under dire circumstances.*
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-01-30 at 12:51 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Sindri looks up from where he is scutenizing the map and gives a harty laugh.

"No worries, the kind ladies of the temple broke the curse swiftly after you left. All on that trash vender's purse I'm told." He then turns to the map. "Inderect battle, eh? Give me a few moments to tumble this in my mind, guess it's time for this old thing to come out." Sindri pulls out a thick tome from his backpack, across it's spine it bares the title in flaking gold leaf, Strategic Considerations for Future Conflicts. Without a moments thought he begins flipping through the book quickly.

"The omens say as you have summered Windwalker. Tomorrow will be the first day, think of this as the prequel to a story." The Eldest says as she places the cards away. "Any follower of the Death God Nerull would not have joined unless the plan involved wholesale slaughter on a deplorable level. The Goblins are most likely the Far Fang tribe of the Worry Ways, a large mountain range to the north east. The others are most likely a mercenary company. The ship is the most worrying, Kelthorn ships are impressive in their sustainability and the arms they carry, and are sometimes called 'Floating Fortresses' with good reason."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

The ship is the most worrisome? From what you know, how well is that ship likely to be warded against magical attack?

*pauses before continuing*

I hope I'm not being too presumptive in offering suggestions for the defense of this city. If nothing else, please use the questions I ask and suggestions I offer as a means of organising the information we have.

Right, to wit:

What resources do we have available, in terms of stores and personel, and how quickly can they be assembled? I'm particularly interested in spellcasters and archers. Depending on what we have, I have an idea that might enable us to take out that ship.

Is there a way for noncombatants to be equipem to contribute to the effort, evacuated, or sheltered to minimize their risk of casulties?

Lastly, can the forceward be raised in sections, to lure the foe to attempt an entry at a point of our choosing?
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The Eldest takes a deep breath.

"No you are not being presumptuous young man, but I will give my answers and counter arguments.

Captain 'Black'Jack Redav and the Water Wardens are 150 men strong, all are trained in a method of nonlethal combat that was created for taking a ship.

Captain Aurora of the Duke's Guard has about that many standard foot solders and about half so many Longbow men. That is the sum of the cities military forces without the aid of casters and clerics.

On our side we have about sixty initiates in various stages of training but I am the only Named among this Temple.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sixty level 1 or 2, yeah it's alot I know but it was a chance on the dice.

None of the other Temples have such a... Numerous following although I believe that the followers of Baccob have an artificer among them. As for stores our Ladies and Baccob's teachings are to create and make magic flourish, we have many a minor magical item in our inventory.

I find it strange that no real evacuation plan has ever been made, but there is none. There might be a way to get out but it would be dangerous.

The Wall is Solid and can't be manipulated in such a way.

The reason I say Kelthorn ships are most worrying is because of something that not many know. I was a part of this last war, so I know from experience. The ships have a place somewhere in their depths where one can place a magical item and it will effect the entire ship. Smart Captains placed a Hand of Glory with a Ring of Spell Turning in that place. Kelthorn was known for having a lot of practitioners who studied anti-magic tactics."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you, Eldest

Well, given that information, my plan for the ship likely wouldn't work. Still, I'll present it incase I'm incorrect in this:

Essentially, my idea was to use mass castings of explosive runes to turn a large quantity of arrows into bombs. If these were fired at the ship in a specifically designated area (achieved by seperating our archers into squads with asigned areas to target, these areas being indicated by overlaying a slient image on the ship to color code the relevant areas.) In any case, if we got enough such bombs stuck to, or near the ship, then triggered them with a dispel ward scroll (to maximize the chance of dispel failure and thus rune detonation) we would be very likely to blast a large hole in the ship and sink it. If we had the resources to accomplish this, we at least wouldn't have to worry about spell turning. We might also be able to use such a tactic to eliminate at least some of our foes' weapons and more formidible creatures.

Regardless, can we assemble the relevant principles to coordinate our defenses and response?
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-01-30 at 02:27 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Peilion," Sindri cuts in, "if I may Eldest?"

The Eldest looks over to the Half-Orge and seems confused for a second, but let's the warblade speak.

"Friend, you must understand that it's not impossible to fight this battle, but as the Priestess said Woe to fight this battle directly. Fate itself is against us on such a footing. Indirect means we need to fight them without fighting them." He taps the tome in his hand. "There are three main ways to do this; Fighting in the Political Arena, Striking Supplies While Ignoring the Army, or Getting Another Army to Fight Your Enemy." He heaves a sigh. "You don't know how much I want to fight this battle, but if we try everything that can will go wrong. From what I've read even if we win we will end up losing. I hope you understand."

Raven is currently having a hushed conversation with Wyrd.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

But, how do we do any of those things?

We're functionally trapped in the city, aren't we? That makes attacking their supplies difficult at the least. As for fighting them in the political arena, I somehow doubt they would be in any way affected by such attempts. Getting another army, how do we get the word out... Wait, Eldest, can you send to other local rulers, or some representative of theirs? Regardless of what we end up doing, that would likely be a good idea: on the chance we fall, we should do what we can to prevent others being similiarly caught by surprise.

*considers further options*

Also, you said there might be a way to escape the city, though a dangerous one? Would it be too dangerous for the elite forces to use as a means of egress?
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-01-30 at 02:51 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Sindri nods at your points, Raven finishes with Wyrd, and the Eldest turns to you.

"A Sending is quite out of our reach, we have no one who could cast the spell. Perhaps you are thinking of Message?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sending is 5th level bro. The Eldest is only level 8

She shifts a little.

"The library that Raven has most likely told you about does in fact have an exit outside the city, many miles outside the city in fact." She seems somewhat reluctant to speak further, but Raven motions to continue. "It is an ancient respiratory of knowledge for the faithful. It holds a huge amount of knowledge both benign and black as the ink in which it written. It hasn't been used since about 454 years ago, when a spell found within those tomes was used to make this cities harbor."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Begging your pardon, Eldest, but I was thinking of sending. I had thought it was an easier spell for those who used divine magic than for arcanists. Was I incorrect in this? Or was I incorrect in my impression that you were a priestess in the literal sense? Again, begging your pardon.

*seems very confused*

Spoiler
    Show
    see my ooc post
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-01-30 at 03:54 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The Eldest flushes lightly at your accusations. Raven looks like you've dealt the other woman a grave insult.

"I am of course a woman of the cloth, Windwalker, but one doesn't worship our Lady without having a," she seems to think for a moment, "relationship with the arcane practices."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

*Pielion realises what he just said and looks appalled at himself, eyes widening in shock*

I do apologize, Eldest. I wont attempt to excuse my thoughtlessness and will accept any penance for it you wish to impose, assuming I remain in a condition capable of recieving and accepting penance when this is over.

*comes as close to kowtowing as is acceptable in this culture*
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The Eldest's eyes linger on you for a moment.

"Tch, you are caught in what is most likely the first siege of your life, and Raven has told me of you verbal slips from before. I really wish to hear much more about this 'Cake Story' she speaks of, but she will not shed light on it." You really don't want to either... really it wasn't your best day.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't really care what you make up in you head for the Cake Story, but it will be an example of your social skills utterly failing. Like asking a young adult black dragon to let you go in exchange for cake. Something like that.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

*seeming very relieved, but still shaken*

Thank you, Eldest. If you wish to hear of that tale, I'll accept recounting it as proper penance. May I have your permission to defer the telling until after we've survived what you correctly guessed to be my first siege, though?
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

She thinks about it for but a moment before nodding.

"Of course, such things are coppers to platinum in this climate." She says.

Raven nods slightly, but still takes a moment to glare at you. Wyrd is sitting at the steps and Sindri seems to be contemplating his book.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

*still shaking his head at his own stupidity (as he thinks of it), then pulls out Sights and Attractions of the Realms both to give himself something to bury his nose in, and to see if it has any useful information about possible allies or other potentially useful information.*
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

It takes but a moment to find the entry on Perth;

Sea of Coral, Port Perth
    This is the Kingdoms eighth largest port and holds a number of inns
    ... you've read this part so you turn the page.

Ah, here we are. You have the most current volume of this book, only ten years old, so nothing should be too out of date.

Notable Faces of Perth.
    There are many faces that can be placed within this section but I will review, as always, only my main three thematic people. Royalty, Magic/Supernatural Guru, and Social Leaders.

Royalty of Perth
    The Duke himself doesn't, in fact, live in the large fort at the very northeast of the city. His second son does though. Alekzandier Ash is a charismatic leader for a man so young, only seventeen, and has many things to boast his popularity to the city, such as the founding of the Water Wardens. His popularity is so well founded that his father and older brother have agreed to bequeath the fort and port over to him as a lesser fife. Other than Alekzandier there is his sister, of fourteen years, whom is currently studying magic.

Magic/Supernatural Guru
    Samos the Sage is one of the most knowledgeable wizards in the entire Dukedom. He is a startlingly intelligent man capable of some truly amazing magic. He now occupies the old Lighthouse on the southeast portions of the harbor area. He has been know by many names, Samos the Grail Seeker, the Sage, The Fool of Ciltriat, and the Mentor Mage just to name a few.

Social Leaders
    By far the most dynamic political element is the half-elf Vespa Tenlinia a woman who has claim to the only remaining blood tie to the Tenlinia line of Wood Elves. She is quite a spit fire and is known as Vespa the Firelance. She is quite well known for having a tame wyvern that she rides into battle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (History) check if you wish to learn more about the Tenlinia line.

Knowledge (Nobility&Royalty) check to learn the name of the Alekzandier's sister.
    Last edited by 'Able' Xanthis; 2013-01-30 at 06:01 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

*replaces the book in his pack*

(quietly, to himself)
    You'll have time to beat yourself up, later. Right now, survival for your friends, the city, and yourself.

*aloud*

Right! So, do I understand things correctly: We're basically surrounded, can expect disaster if we attempt direct action against our besiegers, and can expect disaster if we let the siege continue for seven days, yes? On the bright side, we have cause to hope for a break in our favor in four days.

For potential local allies, we have the luminaries in this church, a smaller number of casters, and possibly an artificer in Boccob's temple, and varrious groups of casters at the other local temples. Add to this 150 or so Wardens, lead capably by good Captain Jack, but trained primarily for policework rather than war, another 150 or so soildiers, and 75 archers.

My book also mentions the Sage, Samos and Mistress Tenlinia and her wyvern. Also, is there a way to get the intell wyrd and I found to the Duke, or rather his guard captain, perhaps?

In any case, we also have a city that was built with defense in mind, including buildings that can be used as individual redoubts and an outer wall composed of force.

Attacking us, we have at least 250 assorted Nerull worshipers, goblinoids, and mercenaries, supported by a very large... something and an unknown but significant number of roiling clouds of death. In addtion, the harbor is occupied by a likely well warded and heavily armed warship that also brought an unknown but significant number of additional roiling clouds of death to the party.

As far as what we are personally capable of, our two best options appear to be attempting to raise an army to relieve the city from our allies, and/or harrassing the enemy's logistics train. Attempting either of these requires we seek egress from the city through a presumably heavily warded respoitory of potentially dangerous and certainly priceless arcane lore. Which happens to be the main reason my friends and I came to town.

Do I have it about right?
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-01-30 at 06:33 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me: