New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (3.5) Escape from the Myst (IC)

Hmm, Let's see.

*Burns a shivering touch to cast an arcane sight spell, impomptu extending it Looks everywhere he possibly can, Also looks for more telltale signs of scrying sensors*

(I should note that his scan includes all his own possessions, incase something was slipped on him, including his coins (he's probably aware of the spymaster's coin spell.))

Hmm, maybe I should scan all our possessions like this?
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-02-02 at 11:18 PM.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Glancing about you note that the auras of the many fresco are vibarant and exude a powerful feel of Conjuration. The sword is covered by the oil cloth, which you now note is a Raiment of Closing, a magical cloth that snuffs out magic it come in contact with. (Buffs/Debuffs/Curses/Blessings that sort of thing.) They are exceedingly rare and only the temple of Wee Jas has the knowledge of how to make them.

Your equipment is clear of anyone elses magic.
    Last edited by 'Able' Xanthis; 2013-02-02 at 11:29 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

*I nod appreciatively at Raven and the Rainment*

Ok, I... think... we might be safe. I assure you, I have good reason to withold surity
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Surety is only unbalanced when one seeks to be unsure of it." Wyrd says as s/he comes in dragging a bleeding vender. S/he then deadpans. "He's dead, by the way. Found him like this."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

What?!

*Turn my glowing blue gaze to the corpse, looking for auras, lingering or active*

*Also, examine the corpse, on the off chance the cause of death is mundane and obvious enough for me to figure it out*
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-02-02 at 11:47 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You see a scythe come up for a back swing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex Save.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The blade of the scythe cuts clean through from one side to the other. You are now blind. (Take 4 damage)

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

*Having just experienced far, far worse pain, barely scream, but clutch my eyes*

For what it's worth, did I at least get any reading on magical auras either from the scythe or otherwise on the body? Arcane sight provides those instantly.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The body had an old Illusion spell on it and some slight necromancy. The scythe was pure necromancy. All of them were Arcane spells.

You feel hands being placed upon your head, and before you can speak your are being healed.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

The body was trapped! It has residue of illusion and necromancy. That scythe is a necromancy effect and has blinded me!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"We kinda figured that out, Pailion." Sindri's voice says from your right. "What scythe, though? You just suddenly got a huge gash across your face, but now that I look at it this does look kinda like a scythe wound, angles a little off but yeah."

"This will restore his eyes," The Eldest's voice comes from ahead of you, "Tilt his head back and fill the eyes up with it. It will grant him a Troll's regeneration for about a minute, enough to get them back. I think."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you, Eldest. I believe we've done all we can to secure ourselves. I suggest we go to the sanctum and rely on its wards. Then I'll do my best to share everything that's recently happened. Oh, and might be a good idea to return that body to lockdown, incase it has a further magics on it to cause it to animate.

(I take it I'm back to full hp?)
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

(Yes and your sight is slowly being restored over the next four minutes.)

The Eldest leads your group into a room filled with soft pellows. Your hear an odd sound come from Sindri as the Eldest dismisses those who were attending to duties here. Once you hear the door shut you hear Wyrd mutter to His/her self.

"Sheer."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

*Feeling the the comfortable pillows, I relax somewhat*

Right, So... the odd occurance we experienced a little while ago was a message from our Lady. Specifically, I was visited by... well, the best way I can think to describe it is a sentient magical representation of her. Apparently, this was left here when the temple was founded set to trigger to advise its inhabitants when the Archive is under sufficent threat.

From this entity, I learned the following:

* The foes we're facing have one of their god's chosen with them. (also, I suggest we avoid refering to our foes' patron by name or title, on the likely chance that doing so draws his attention. From here on out, I'll refer to him as "the enemy."

* There is absolutely no chance of fighting this chosen directly.

* The Archive below this temple contains an entity the enemy badly wants. If he gets it, the world as we know it will end. This entity is a sleeping... person who acts as an index to the archive and though her dreams and nightmares, it's most powerful method of defense. She is held in a vault that is apparently relatively nearby. The vault and archive also has other wards.

* Our best chance is a three pronged approach:
    - A team to Find the vault and access the index. We can use the information we find there to further aid us
    - A team to send word to as many local allies as possible to raise a relief army.
    - A team to sally from the city and attack our foe's rear area.

* We would be well advised to involve other powerful locals in our plans; In particular, one Vespa Tenlinia: She has a tame wyvern that should allow her to get word to those in a position to send us relief. The Sage, and the Duke and his people should also be involved. Lastly, the Boccobites may be able to aid us as well. Alekzanier's sister would be a promising contact/liason with them.

*Also, the reason I was so... concerned about security: My conversation with the Lady's messenger ended when she said "He's early" she then seemed to be fighting external magical assault and quickly got cut to bloody ribbons by an invisible force. The last I remember seeing is her body lying in a bloody heap on the floorstones.
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-02-03 at 03:27 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, now that I think of it, from what I remember, I last saw her in a state similiar to how the vendor was found.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Your vision returns and you find yourself in a room that could be called a sanctuary. Crimson sitting pillows litter the floor before a full blown stone altar, the kind that you could lay a maiden upon with room to spare. Low tables litter the area, usually near a clump of pillows, and the walls are covered in resplendent tapestries, each commemorating the Great Crimson Lady in their own way.

Sindri sits upon three pillows, he seems tense as a bowstring drawn to shoulder. His tone starts out low and disbeleaving and as he speaks it grows loader until he is almost shouting.

"You mean they assaulted a messenger of your Goddess in Her Own Temple. Are they insane!?" Raven and the Eldest seem to agree in one way or another.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

*blinks as his sight returns*

Well, yes, they are probably insane. I don't think the messenger was an independant creature, though. She claimed to be an echo of sorts, left here when the temple was founded as part of the system of protection built around the archive and its index. I'm probably paraphrasing that, but that's the gist of what I remember. Her falling to pieces might have been indicative of a spell ending rather than an attack. Might, I say, but I doubt it. Regardless, if it was because an attack, it was successful, and they managed to leave another trap for us on the vendor's corpse, not to mention managing to kill him without breaching our defenses in any easily detectable sense. So, despite their insanity, they mustn't be taken lightly.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"An insane mind sees things from angles that no sane mind could comprehend. It's what makes them so dangerous." Wyrd adds dryly. Raven looks over the slowly fading scar and nods to Wyrd. She speaks in low tones.

"Too true, but we can't take into account that the spell was place upon him while in the church. Too many defenses, we would have at least been notified of that. He may have been respelled the entire time, a redundancy as it may be." For a moment you think you may see written Infernal reflected in her eyes, but it is gone before you even blink.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

*nods to Wyrd, then tilts his head curiously when he sees maybe sees the writing in Raven's eyes*

Quite true, on both points. Still, what shall we do about it? Maybe we should gather a council of war?
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Wait," the Eldest says halting most of the groups nodding heads, "did not the messenger give you the location of the entrance to the Archive?"

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

She said that the vault containing the index was quite near us. She also said that the index has vast information about the archive, including a complete map of the place, that would greatly aid in our defense of it.

As for the location of the Archive entrance, While Raven and I came here to investigate it, all our research could glean was that it was somewhere in this city. So, I don't know where it is, I can try to divine it, though.

*Sits crosslegged, considering his options*

Hmm, for a start, might you have an acurate description of, well any item that should be in the archive?
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

*Shakes his head*

Or, we could start looking in this temple. The messenger told me it was founded to protect the archive and that the vault was very close by.

Wyrd, you and I should start searching likely locations, with your permission, of course, Eldest?

*mutters*
    I really need to remember that magic isn't needed for everything.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The Eldest seems to think for a moment and then gets up.

"We may have a description of what the entrance looks like, I remember my mentor once talking about maps. It evades me what she was speaking of, but I will look through her old things. Perhaps an aid can be found there. It must be near by, for as you said, this temple was made to protect it."

Wyrd nods to you and gets up from his/her seat, without a sound s/he opens the door and nods towards the outside.
    Last edited by 'Able' Xanthis; 2013-02-06 at 12:43 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

That would be useful. Given an adequate description, I can atempt a locate object spell to find the entrance (or to more specific, door.) Failing that, are there any spirits I might try to commune with? (I'd need some incense and a certain offering to atempt that, though.) Before I try those things, though, do Wyrd and I have permission to search the temple, perhaps with an acolyte to guide us? Wyrd could search by mundane means (incase it's warded against divinations), and I could try scanning with a detect secret doors spell.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"I will go look through my metor's old notes, and it is indeed a good idea to cover for things of that sort. I'll have Alma guide you around the temple," She claps three times quickly and a girl in her preteens comes forth. "Alma you will be guiding these gen... these two about the temple grounds. Treat them as guests." As the girl nods the Eldest looks to you. "Alma has grown up in this temple, she guides guest on tours sometimes. I hope she is able to aid in your endeavors. Ah, before you go into the Archive proper I will have to speak with all of you. I'll send out messengers to gather those we have listed."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

*Bows politely*

Of course, Eldest. Assuming we find the entrance, any casters we send would also be wise to prepare spells appropriate to the situation, as best we can determine it.

*Nods politely to Alma*

A pleasure to meet you, miss. I'm Peilion, and this is Wyrd. We're grateful for your expertise and assistance. Shall we get started? Incidentally, about how long do you suppose it would take to properly cover the temple? I ask so I have some idea of how closely I have to husband my detect secret door spells.
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-02-06 at 01:11 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The girl smiles and gives a curtsy. As she begins talking in a tone that drags you attention in she turns and beings walking lightly through the halls.

"To cover the entire temple will take about forty-five minutes, good Sir. We'll start with the step Enter the main Atrium, take five minutes to search at each stop, and then we will go into the inner court area, where there is a small courtyard for leisure. After that we will visit the Dorms which will have been cleaned and readied for visitors by that time. The final stop will be the kitchens, and bathing area as well."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

So, I'll need five castings of my detection spells, assuming I extend four of them. I can do that. Let's get started. If I need to pause to renew my magics, I hope we can pause for me to do so.

*Burns a phantasmal assailants to cast a detect secret doors, extending it which increases the casting time to one full round.*

*Looks around the room he's in, then (assuming he finds nothing) indicated he's ready to proceed. Moves slowly enough to scan every space he passes.*
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Indeed, good sir, a stop for twelve seconds every sixty feet to maximize your spells usage while stopping every now and again for the recast is easily capable. Would you like to know the history of the Temple as it is told by our Sect?" The girl give a beautiful smile. As if the world couldn't be in danger, ever.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

*returns the smile and nods, obviously impressed that this girl has managed such a degree of understanding of magical theory at such a young age*

Definately. I'd like to know everything I can about this... remarkable place. *pauses*

*said while they start walking*

Out of curiosity, Alma, have you begun your training in our Lady's service in the arcane or divine arts? You just demonstrated a remarkable understanding of magic for one your age. Surely that's a testament to both your sister's teaching methods and our own abilities. Few children of my people would have such understanding at an equivilant age.

Spoiler
    Show
    By "such a degree of understanding" I mean, she recognised the spell I mentioned, and knew enough of how it worked to calculate an optimal use schedule.
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-02-06 at 01:58 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me: