New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: (3.5) Escape from the Myst (IC)

Alama smiles beatifically and twirls on the spot.

"I've grown up in the Sisterhood, and my path was decided by My Lady at birth. Arcane Magic is in my blood, I'm a sorceress, but Eldest Sister Husel once said that such inborn talent can make a lazy girl so I'm also the Temple Hostess, and I even help with Math when we count tithe." She says all of this with a proud grin on her face. "I read every day and someday I will be as good as the High Matron."

She turns a few more times before you and Wyrd find yourselves in the entry hall again. Wyrd looks at the halls with a critical eye.

"This Temple is called The Scarlet Evanescence and was built in memory of the last Great Necromancy Wars end. Each step of the entryway represents a law created to mitigate the misuse of that form of magic, nearly four-hundred fifty years ago. " She waves her hand at the obsidian and jet steps. The black making it exceptionally hard to see that each did indeed have something carved in some archaic form of Common. "Because Wee Jasian spell casters worsened that War Each slab was ordered to be worked by spell casters, using no magic. Each hundred pound slab was carried from a quarry over seven miles away, by hand. This was ordained by our Lady to teach our people the value of Death and Life."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

*nods solemnly*

Indeed, a vital lesson. And you're truly blessed with understanding to accompany your inborn power. Not all are. Just as many wizards, myself for instance, are not nessicarily blessed with as much foresight as one might wish.

*sets to work scanning the room*
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-02-06 at 02:14 AM.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Indeed, good sir." Alma says as she sits at one of the pews. "The lessons our Lady teach us are invaluable. Don't mind the caches on the altar, they are for wands and incense."

You note that yes there are small switches to work caches on the altar. other than that there is no door you can find hidden by any means detectable by you. Wyrd also comes up empty handed.

"Would you like to continue the tour?"

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Looks like this room is clear.

*Then becomes less buisness-like, nodding enthusiastically*

Yes, definately.
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-02-06 at 02:35 AM.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The girl gets up and sweeps past, her hair moving in odd patterns as she goes.

"The main entryway has no doors to show that Our Lady accepts all to Her Way. The Fresco are all tributes to the many heroic men and women who have aided Her Great Cause in one way or another over the years. Some local heros work for years just to get their forms immortalized upon these walls. Every day the paintings change, cycling through all of the fresco every painted on that wall." She smiles up at the many heroes who halo the massive symbol of Wee Jas that dominates the center of the ceiling. "The altar is new in comparison to most of the temple, but the previous one was moved when it was shattered during a Spell-Battle forty years ago. Moving on we will be going through here to get to Inner Court, a section of the Temple built to specifics passed down from the Eldest of another church at her request."

Wyrd glances up from His/her searching.
    Last edited by 'Able' Xanthis; 2013-02-06 at 03:08 AM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

*Pielion listens with interest*

Fascinating! ...

*Notices Wyrd's gaze*

Wyrd, did you find something?
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-02-06 at 03:16 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"This catch here. You passed over it without a glance." Wyrd says as s/he pulls a catch that you hadn't found when you were standing there. "Magic ward?" You can hear the question in Wyrd's voice.

"Aw, I hope it's what your looking for, but I also hope it's not." Alma says as she sighs. When Wyrd gives her an odd look she explains. "I don't get to give this tour very often."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

*considers for a moment*

Tell you what, Alma, we'll take the rest of the tour. Afterall, no one said there would be only one entrance or other location of interest.

*He smiles and winks*

Now, to see about that catch. I should have enough magic left for this to work, just hope I don't need any combat magics today.

*allows his detect secret doors spell to drop, burns his extended rope trick for an impromtu extended arcane sight, examines the catch*
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-02-06 at 03:42 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The catch doesn't even appear in your vision until Wyrd begins pulling at it. S/he grins at the little girl that is right now cheering, quietly. Wyrd mutters a few words and casts detect magic. S/he blinks a couple of times and lets the latch slid back to the point when it fades from sight under all of the protective enchantments of the floor. S/he then takes a few moments to find the latch again.

"Not hidden," Wyrd mutters to him/her self, "but camouflaged. Neat."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Quite. The protection spells drown out any aura of the catch. I wouldn't be surprised if lead lining was also used. Let's make note of it and confirm there isn't anything else noteworthy, other than the history of this place, of course.

*burns his second phantasmal assailants spell for an extended detect secret doors.*

Right, shall we continue, Alma?

Active Spells:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Active divinations:
    Arcane Sight (automatic detect magic) ~10 min remaining
    Detect Secret Doors (what it says on the tin, requires concentration) 10 min remaining
    Active Abjurations:
    Endure Elements ~48 hrs remaining.
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-02-06 at 04:37 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Yes sir," Alma says with a smile, "now we will be moving towards the Inner Court, after you are done."

Wyrd's and your own efforts come up with something startling. The catch in question is completely none magical, point in fact the only thing keeping your magic from finding it was the fact it was hidden among the auras. It is lead-lined, and quite heavily so, but you can find no more magic in it than that of your Longbow.

"I can't find any traps on it. Do you want me to pull it all the way out, Peilion?" Wyrd asks as s/he looks the latch over, for the fourth time.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Not yet, Wyrd. We should return to it once we've finished our examination. You'll be able to find it again, correct?
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Yep," s/he says as s/he let's it settle back into place, "now that I know it's whereabouts I could find it whenever I like. Let's continue then, Alma lead the way."

"Yes si... er..." Alma starts but then seems taken of her balance by something.

"What is it?" Wyrd asks as his/her hair lengthens and gains waves, as well as turning a soft honey brown. "Is something the matter?"

"Er, well I usally call people by sir or mam to be polite, but you've switched several times between those two." Alma explains before getting a curious look in her bright violet eyes. "What are you?"

"Sir and mam?" Wyrd looks completely off balance, her/his tone seems to taste the words. S/he shakes his/her head in complete befuddlement. "I'm a changeling, call me Wyrd that's who I am after all"

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

*grins*

Wyrd and I have been working together for long enough that I've forgotten the confusion changelings can cause in those unacustomed to them. In any case, please continue, Alma.

*ponders*

I suppose, if you must use a pronoun, you could use the elven 'kir' roughly translated it means "respected one." It isn't gender specific.
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-02-07 at 11:05 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"But... Wha..." Alma seems concentrate for a few moments before shaking her head in befuddlement herself. She begins guiding you through the halls. "Yes, Kir, we'll continue through the halls toward the Inner Courtyard. If you will come this way."

Wyrd mutters for a moment before nodding and shifting completely into a comely woman with deep, earthy brown eyes.
    Last edited by 'Able' Xanthis; 2013-02-07 at 11:00 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

*follows Alma*

*quietly to Wyrd*

Sometimes people need alittle help adapting, my friend.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Indeed, my good sir." Wyrd answers with a grin and brushes past you to stand near your hostess.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

*Scans the path to the courtyard and the courtyard itself for magic auras (arcane sight) and secret doors (detect secret doors) while listening to Alma's description of the place, and taking in its sights.*
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The halls are full of several magnificent tapestries and panting, you even see a rare work of a popular Elven artist who was know to use Magnificent Pigments in his works, which was the case here as your Sight tells you. Other than that the most notable thing, besides what's being said by the young Hostess, is that at every corner of the hall has a set of full plat that have inactive auras of abjuration, conjuration, and transmutation that seem to be linked into the walls via magical threads.

"The halls coming to and from the Inner Courtyard are filled with art collected by various clerics, priests, and laymen. Donations to beautify this place of worship. Over the years the collection has grown quite expansive." Alma explains while looking over one work, a gnomish work that looked different depending on what angle you were looking at it and completely non magical. "Each of the best pieces are sent to the Great Temple in the Capital every six years to have their preservation taken care of. With great care, some of these works will survive even you, Kir Peilion. We are now closing in on the Inner Courtyard."

Spoiler
    Show
    3d4 minutes off your spells. Roll for me please.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Indeed, great art should be preserved so.

*tilts head*

Pardon, my divinations seem to have just run down.

*Burns a Keleor's Grave Mist to cast an extended Detect Secret Doors.*

Right, please continue.

Detect Secret Doors, duration: 10 minutes.
    Arcane Sight: ended, no 3rd level spells remaining to renew it.
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-02-07 at 11:53 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The stone hallways open to a nicely lain out courtyard where several sisters are pleasurably strolling. Alma greets a couple before facing you both as you work.

"Preservation is one of our greatest goals, although never to the point that we pass over our Ladies territory." Alma indicates a stone in the center of the Courtyard it stood out in the bright light with it's obsidian sides, "The stone you see here is a monument to such foolishness, as are many of the monuments of this temple. The sad truth is that people with power are tempted to do things outside the norm, sometimes this is bad but a few have been good."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

*nods, then examines the stone, looking for any inscription, speaking as he does so*

Quite, I believe it was Sage Asteriali who said "Those who fail to record and learn from the mistakes history are destined to repeat them."
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Searing crimson letters grip your mind as you gaze upon the Stone.

Child of the Fair Folk who has willingly turned his gaze towards the Words, and you will find yourself at a crossroads. What is chosen is your choice, but remember the Many affected.

You hear Wyrd hiss under his/her breath.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

*shocked stare, reads the inscription*

Wyrd... did, er... do... you see that, too?

*pauses*

Alma, is that a prophetic stone, or the like? What is it supposed to memorialize?
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"The Stone before you is the Black Oracle," Alma says in a kiting tone, "I've heard that it can do odd things to those who try to divine using it, I'm sorry I forgot to warn you, but it never comes up usually."

Wyrd is cursing up a storm in a very old, archaic form of common, and is wiping his/her eyes frantically.

"Saw something, not sure..."

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

I think whatever you saw was actually there, my friend. At least, for you. Are you alright? The things we saw are likely deserving of further analysis.

*rubs his eyes*

Another thing worth noting. This tour continues to prove rewarding. Shall we continue?
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Eyes hurt." Wyrd replies, Alma frowns at his/her in concern. "Feels like someone just tried to stuff one of your books into them all at once... sideways."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

*frowns in extreme concern*

Hmm. We should get you back to the Eldest. Alma, I appologize, but it seems we can't complete the tour right now, afterall. I promise I'll complete your tour at some point in the near future, with the Eldest's permission, of course. If you could lead us back to her, please?
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Alma nods and smiles a little.

"The best parts are already done, but the dorms have an interesting story, still."

She guides you back to the Sanctuary, where the Eldest is reading through a tome. Next to her are several other tomes. She looks up.

"Oh, done already?"
    Last edited by 'Able' Xanthis; 2013-02-08 at 01:09 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Sadly, no. Though I believe we have likely found the entrance. We continued the tour after finding what we think is it, incase there were other places of interest. One such place, that Alma called "the Oracle Stone," triggered when we examined. I received a message, Wyrd apparently received... something, an overload of information, I think. Also, as a side note, Alma is quite the talented tourguide and I'd like to complete her tour when our situation is less dire, if I may.
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-02-08 at 01:23 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me: