New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Hold The Watchtower! and other frontier heroics

The last five years of his life had failed to provide John with a frame of reference for what to do when you get hugged by a female in perhaps atleast some distress. He suddenly wished he'd taken the time to bathe in that river he passed on his way home. Or that he didn't have the gutted carcasses of various animals in the sack acros his back. Awkwardly, he held her in his arms. "There, there, I'm sure it'll be fine." In the back of his mind, he was aware that this display of distress was uncharactaristic of the priest. He didn't know quite what to do with this knowledge, however.
    This is nice, he thought.
    Last edited by TwelvePointFive; 2013-01-23 at 04:34 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Interested in Python's findings, the hobgoblin reluctantly decided to add what he had been sensing. "I'm sure none here would understand, but the energy of everything around us has been slightly tainted. It is indeed a sign that a great evil is near."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

as if this scene were no perfect enough, a footman comes running up to the captain, screaming "goblins! goblins from the north!"
    There’s an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom and consolation to the soul in times of need Allons-y!

my wonderful avatar by ceika (all i had to do was teach it the four elements)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

Iradli breaks contact with the ranger, straightens her armor, draws her sword, and addresses the soldier, "where are these goblins? calm down, me and john and these guys" she says gesturing at the rest of the group "can beat them back, how many are there?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, I usually wait to know what is actually happening before making such bold claims. Even so, let's go and see. Ladies first?"
    With that remark, Lucius followed the most eager members toward the nothen breach.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2013-01-24 at 01:06 PM.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

John startled upon the militiamans shout. When he had recovered somewhat he muttered "Believing we will be easy prey, are they? Let's go show them something else."
    He dropped his packs and cloak by the palisade, hafted his longbow, made sure his quiver was in place, and unfastened the straps that kept his sword from falling out of the scabbard even if it somehow winded up being turned upside down. I left the damn shield at home. I wish I'd brought it with me, he thought with a deep frown, all the while knowing it would have been impractical to bring it hunting. He was certainly lugging enough weight around already. "Let's go kill some murdering savages."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Those goblins shall taste my blade," he says drawing his prized longsword. "Come my friends, let's defend our town from what evil lurks in the wasteland of the goblins and darker things!" He runs to where the captain said the goblins were coming from.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

John loads his blunderbuss, running for the gate saying, I'm gonna have to introduce them to my little friend.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Pyrhos

Pyrhos freezes momentarily at the mention of goblins. Goblins? Here? Attacking in broad daylight? He looks for a place in the palisade with good visibility. His old armor, the one he had purchased for the trip here, is back in his house, but fortunately all his extracts are here.

Gulping down in anxiousness, he moves to the spot. As his old mentor used to say, it is under stress that you see how really good a Chymist you are. It seems the time to test his various new discoveries has come.
    Spoiler
    Show

Pyrhos moves somewhere he can bomb with impunity, preferably high in the palisade. When he gets there, he will drink his mutagen for dexterity and prepare a bomb when the goblins get in range.
    If no such spot exists, he will follow with extreme care behind the melee guys and try to stay near enough to bomb, but far enough to be in melee range.

10. - Top - End - #40

you hear the twang of bowstings, the thud of arrows on the palisade, more twangs, the clang of arom being pierced by arrows, and the death screams of a goblin
    There’s an old Earth saying, Captain. A phrase of great power and wisdom and consolation to the soul in times of need Allons-y!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

On his short little legs, Lucius keeps walking toward the northern entrance. He does not run into danger: it's not his style, and he'd rather not wind himself down before the actual fight. He ears the cry of a goblin: good, those bowmen are not just for show then. He shouts at Mr. Westwood, who is already at the gate: "How many do you see?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Double move, 40 ft. That's all.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

When he hears the first noises of combat, John start moving north.
    I really should have brought that shield.

13. - Top - End - #43

as everyone is moving north, from the west you hear pounding, heavy footfalls, howls, yips, war-cries, more bow-twangs, and a guard screaming in agony then falling to the ground.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Pyrhos

Pyrhos had started moving alongside the others. However, his sharp ears quickly picked up the noises coming from the West. Inexperienced in skirmishes, he tugs at John.

"Excuse, Mr John, but shouldn't we be going that way?"

15. - Top - End - #45

Taleth moves to his companions, his bow ready in case of the attacks coming near.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

As the sounds of battle arise, Baradox's ears perk up attentively. Not moving for a moment, he studies the sounds carefully. The sounds of agony finally ensnare him however, and he breaks from a stand into a steady run. His mind focused on the beginning battle, he heads in that direction.

17. - Top - End - #47

as you all converge on the northern force of goblins, you hear snarls sceaming and twangs-thunds as archers fire on the palisade to the west.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Johns face filled with disgust that the half-orc had actually touched him. He swore loudly. I hope the town is not sorrounded.. they'd need a lot more men then. "We need a new plan. Mr Westwood, Iradli" he suddenly didn't like his plan one bit. "you guard the northern chokepoint" he finished weakly. "everyone else, with me!" he took off running south when he caught sight of one of the mounted goblins, he adjusted his position slightly, to adjust for the house that was in the way of his aim, notched an arrow, and took the shot at a goblin.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming the map is accurate, so John is taking a move action 30 ft south and 5 ft east, and shooting at the nearest mounted goblin, who gets cover.
    To hit: (1d20+5)[15]. (Crit confirmation): (1d20+5)[15]. Damage: (1d8+4)[12]. (Extra crit damage): (2d8+8)[18]
    If i cant do this due to line of sight, he just takes a move action more south. Edit: hitting an effective ac 11 with the cover.

Last edited by TwelvePointFive; 2013-01-27 at 06:37 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

"I have a better plan. john, your with me, we take the northern attacking force, the two of us will make short work of them, westwood, taleth. you bring down the wolf archers, baradox, tiefling, you take the east, get those worg riders away from the entrance, with free reign, they will raze the camp. phyrion, get up one of those towers, look for patterns, new surprises, and above all else, for a leader, this is too organized to be a random raid, if you have a crossbow, lend us a bolt or two, if not, hope they keep spares in the watchtower."

20. - Top - End - #50

"I'm afraid, Miss. Iradli that there are numerous wolf riders and two people alone could not kill them, no matter how talented they are." Taleth aims his longbow at where the wolf riders are coming from.

Spoiler
    Show
    Readied action to shoot any goblin that comes into view.
    Last edited by Thattaman; 2013-01-27 at 09:44 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Thiefling. In her mind, this group consist of six peple and a devil. Ah well, what can you do about it?

"I must agree with the elf. It's imperative that we keep the group together, provide an united front against the enemy assault, while focusing their smaller forces with our superior numbers. Strategy 101, child."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

how do you do the dice rolling thing?

23. - Top - End - #53

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]xdx+x[/roll] replace the x's with numbers.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

Iradli is suprised, she responds, "I will hold the west then, john, tiefling, remind me of your name, and any ranged support would be apreciated" with that she charges the closest goblin wolf rider archer and swings at its torso

(1d20+6)[13] attack, and (1d10+4)[9]

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Pyrhos

"But, but...Miss Iradli you cannot hold them alone!"

Pyrhos moves after Iradli and makes an explosive infusion as he moves. He also nods and grabs a guard to follow him. And as he leaves, his voice carries over

"It is Doctor PyrHOS Stylichos, Miss!"

When he arrives at the West, hopefully with a guard in tow, he will unleash his bomb to the closer rider he sees. If they are grouped together, even better.

"Sssssuffer!"
    Spoiler
    Show

Pyrhos would like a guard to stand behind to.

Ranged touch attack (1d20+2)[19], Dmg (1d6+5)[8]. If scatter is needed (1d8)[3]. Due to feat, this can be adjusted +/- 1, in any favorable direction. Also, if anyone else is nearby, he gets splash dmg 6, save for half!

EDIT: Forgot to add+2 from the mutagen. AC now 16

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucius, with his short legs, is once again left behind by the taller folks.
    He scrambles southwest and climbs on a roof, hoping to take a shot from a vantage position.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move only, again. Possibly hurl a globe of acid next turn, from behind the cover of the slanted roof.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

As he watches the tiefling climb the building, Baradox frowns once more. This group had no well defined leadership, and apparently worked together poorly. Already the person who tried to establish order was being ignored and questioned.

Having been following slowly for a moment, Baradox suddenly turns and breaks into a run. If he had to defend the eastern wall completely on his own, he would. After his quick burst of speed, he takes cover around the corner of a house. They were just about to enter, perhaps he could catch them by surprise.
    Stealth (1d20+13)[26]

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

Iradli runs at the next goblin swiping wildly, hoping to break the little bastards guard,

(1d20+6)[18] attack, and damage: (1d10+4)[8]

29. - Top - End - #59

the final western goblin-archer is running away now, cowardly goblins, the northern goblins however are closing in, and the eastern force is descending upon a lone guard.

captain Harsk immediately takes command. he calls "iradli, reign in and go north follow me, together we can easily hold that barrier, John, Westwood, give her ranged support, Baradox, Lucias, taleth, go east and hold there pyhrion, i need you in one of those towers, be my eyes and ears, warn us if we have any more scum to slay" and with that he runs north.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

(Baradox has already headed east, and is getting ready to ambush the incoming goblins.)