New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default I want to be an always-cat Tibbit non-fighter, but can't be Psion. Is it possible?

I love Tibbits (from dragon compendium) in general, but especially the fact that before stuff like true seeing it is super hard (impossible?) to tell their cat forms aren't just normal cats.
    I really want to take advantage of that in a funny manner by using hard to notice/indirect magics/abilities to aid the party while feigning being just a cat for as long as possible (I'll hire a mook or something to act as my observed pc while communicating the cat's actions covertly.) There is a problem, however. The only DM I'll be playing under any time soon doesn't like the concept of psionics and has a blanket 'doesn't exist at all' houserule to all his games. He allows everything else ever printed, just not psions; weird, I know.
    So my question is straight forward enough, but difficult: how can I be an effective background caster type while needing every ability to effectively be silent+still, and not psionic?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: I want to be an always-cat Tibbit non-fighter, but can't be Psion. Is it possible

There is the surrogate spellcasting feat from savage species, which allows you to do somatic and verbal components as a cat or any other nonhumanoid. The prerequisites are a nonhumanoid form and 13 wisdom, so you should be able to qualify for it easily.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: I want to be an always-cat Tibbit non-fighter, but can't be Psion. Is it possible

Note: A ninja is a pretty weak class so this idea won't work out to well unless your group doesn't optomize much.

Be a ninja, take the feats: Don't Mind Me, Improved unarmed strike and multi weapon fighting and expanded ki pool. Use a mouth pick weapon, I think it is in savage species. You might want to take a few levels in SA fighter to increase damage and base attack.

What you do: Walk into bad guy's space, use ghost step, full attack with 2 claws, 1 unarmed, and 1 mouth pick. Since you are invisible all of those attacks will be sudden strikes.

Another idea is to be a spell caster and take surrogate spell casting(savage species) and eschew materials.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jigokuro View Post
    I love Tibbits (from dragon compendium) in general, but especially the fact that before stuff like true seeing it is super hard (impossible?) to tell their cat forms aren't just normal cats.
    I really want to take advantage of that in a funny manner by using hard to notice/indirect magics/abilities to aid the party while feigning being just a cat for as long as possible (I'll hire a mook or something to act as my observed pc while communicating the cat's actions covertly.) There is a problem, however. The only DM I'll be playing under any time soon doesn't like the concept of psionics and has a blanket 'doesn't exist at all' houserule to all his games. He allows everything else ever printed, just not psions; weird, I know.
    So my question is straight forward enough, but difficult: how can I be an effective background caster type while needing every ability to effectively be silent+still, and not psionic?
    Warlock! All warlock stuff is spell like abilities so Still + Silent (Though people may notice when big blasts of energy zap from you) But could be quite funny
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

The Psionics reaction is completely normal in my experience. Psionics was created in an era when they were publishing content at a ridiculous pace, and didn't care what mixed with what, everything was a player option, including magic.

In all my years playing I have only encountered 2 groups that ever played with psionics at all. One of those replaced all magic with psionics. The other played a Darksun Campaign.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dragon Flame Adept. Fire Breathing Kitty. Need I say more? You keep your stats while being a cat so your breath weapon is just as good in either form, most of your good spells are either non-combat ones or 24 hour buffs so you can just buff up early and then stay in cat form all day.

7. - Top - End - #7

You could possibly work it as a druid. There are plenty of ways to let wild shaped druids cast normally using their new form. It would not on it's own grant you the ability to silent/still cast, but you would at least be casting with sounds and movements appropriate for a cat.

You may be able to pull off the flavor of an Urban Druid or something too. And If you want straight caster craziness, there's always Druid/Wizard/Arcane Heirophant.

I'm trying to find the reference, but I don't think that feat limited you to only casting DRUID spells in wild shape either.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Prophes0r View Post
    You could possibly work it as a druid. There are plenty of ways to let wild shaped druids cast normally using their new form. It would not on it's own grant you the ability to silent/still cast, but you would at least be casting with sounds and movements appropriate for a cat.

You may be able to pull off the flavor of an Urban Druid or something too. And If you want straight caster craziness, there's always Druid/Wizard/Arcane Heirophant.

I'm trying to find the reference, but I don't think that feat limited you to only casting DRUID spells in wild shape either.
    If you are thinking of Natural Spell it doesn't limit you to druid only spells but it does require you to have wild shape and only applies while wild-shaped so it wouldn't actually do anything (even for druid spells) for a Tibbit in her cat form (unless she was actually just using wild shape to turn into a cat).

It wouldn't be too unreasonable to ask your DM to see if you can get a special Tibbit-Form Natural Spell Feat though. It wouldn't be terribly OP.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

For one of the Iron Chefs I started working on a "black cat" themed character; a tibbit spellthief who later went into death delver(as per the contest rules). Not very strong, but a fun concept. An other option would be shadowcaster(tome of magic). I'm AFB ATM, but I'm pretty sure that you can use their pseudo casting while in cat form.

The most powerful build i would suggest would be a wizard(or other caster) using some trick to get free silent, still spells (incantatrix comes immediately to mind)
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Not illegal (and it largely doesn't matter due to Divine Salient Abilities), but Moradin has 14 levels in Expert. WotC decided that the God of all Dwarves took an NPC class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Wow. Next dwarf I meet in-game I'm totally figuring out a way to rag on him about that.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground

Warlock may be a bad idea as Tibbits can't use somatic components in cat form.

Binder could work well - their abilities function just as effectively in cat or humanoid form. A Shadowcaster Tibbit with Still Mystery would work extremely well also, because Still Mystery auto-stills your entire repertoire rather than working like metamagic.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

Binder could work well - their abilities function just as effectively in cat or humanoid form. A Shadowcaster Tibbit with Still Mystery would work extremely well also, because Still Mystery auto-stills your entire repertoire rather than working like metamagic.
    Great minds think alike

Thought I should also point out that the cat form of the tibbit would actually synergise very well with the shadowcaster's stealth abilities
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Not illegal (and it largely doesn't matter due to Divine Salient Abilities), but Moradin has 14 levels in Expert. WotC decided that the God of all Dwarves took an NPC class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Wow. Next dwarf I meet in-game I'm totally figuring out a way to rag on him about that.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Spamalot in the Playground

You need Still Mystery to use mysteries in cat form - mysteries have somatic components otherwise. But unlike Still Spell, Still Mystery turns off somatic components for all your mysteries forever with no level adjustment or casting time increase. There's no reason not to take the feat.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Also possible: Arcane Swordsage. Just don't abuse the DM's goodwill in letting you use that option.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

14. - Top - End - #14

I thought ALL warlock abilities count as Spell-Like and so are both still and silent. Am I wrong in this and if so could you please point me to the rules on this.
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

@ Ranting Fool: It says explicitly in Complete Arcane that Eldritch Blast (and Invocations I think) are unlike most SLAs and do in fact require somatic components. You can ignore ASF from light armor with regard to this, so it's easy to forget, but it is meant to seem like spellcasting despite being much simpler, so you do have to wave your hands around funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Prophes0r View Post
    In all my years playing I have only encountered 2 groups that ever played with psionics at all. One of those replaced all magic with psionics. The other played a Darksun Campaign.
    Pity that. I for one have come to love Psionics as an alternative to magic in my vaguely-Greyhawk-derived campaign. I don't like the default fluff of Psionics, but it's an elegant set of mechanics which contrasts nicely with the bloat of arcane and divine spellcasting, creating two very distinct flavors.
    Last edited by willpell; 2013-01-17 at 10:02 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ranting Fool View Post
    I thought ALL warlock abilities count as Spell-Like and so are both still and silent. Am I wrong in this and if so could you please point me to the rules on this.
    Invocations are spell-like abilities that explicitly have somatic components. It's in the description of Weapon and Armor Proficiency in the warlock's class entry in Complete Arcane, and referenced again in the description of Invocations in same.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Warlock or Dragonfire Adept + Surrogate Spellcasting. Either one is full of win: Cat with LASERBEAM EYES, or Cat that BREATHES FIRE.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranting Fool View Post
    Invocations (Warlocks+DFAs SLAs) have somatic components.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Warlock or Dragonfire Adept + Surrogate Spellcasting. Either one is full of win: Cat with LASERBEAM EYES, or Cat that BREATHES FIRE.
    Surrogate Spellcasting doesn't apply to SLAs, the feat specifically calls out Spells rather than just Somatic Components.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Invocations (Warlocks+DFAs SLAs) have somatic components.

Surrogate Spellcasting doesn't apply to SLAs, the feat specifically calls out Spells rather than just Somatic Components.
    Quite easy to convince the GM to houserule that one in though, Its not going to be gamebreaking to allow a warlock to use a feat designed for a Tier 1 caster.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by only1doug View Post
    Quite easy to convince the GM to houserule that one in though, Its not going to be gamebreaking to allow a warlock to use a feat designed for a Tier 1 caster.
    Oh absolutely, but recommendations like that need a caveat specifying
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xenogears View Post
    If you are thinking of Natural Spell it doesn't limit you to druid only spells but it does require you to have wild shape and only applies while wild-shaped so it wouldn't actually do anything (even for druid spells) for a Tibbit in her cat form (unless she was actually just using wild shape to turn into a cat).

It wouldn't be too unreasonable to ask your DM to see if you can get a special Tibbit-Form Natural Spell Feat though. It wouldn't be terribly OP.
    I have a tibbit dread necromancer in my current party, and I let her take natural spell to cast spells as a cat, and it hasn't really broken anything, just made her slightly harder to hit, but she has crappy AC anyway. There is now a rumor around one town of death's cat haunting the city at night. The only issue she has is that she can't grab her onyx when she's in cat form, and has to take humanoid form to animate dead.
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Stabber View Post
    The only issue she has is that she can't grab her onyx when she's in cat form, and has to take humanoid form to animate dead.
    Sounds like she needs a collar.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Vicerious View Post
    Invocations are spell-like abilities that explicitly have somatic components. It's in the description of Weapon and Armor Proficiency in the warlock's class entry in Complete Arcane, and referenced again in the description of Invocations in same.
    Thank you very much for pointing this out.... when one of my players started a warlock I remember telling him he still had to "wave his hands about" but then he questioned me on it since they are SLA's and I couldn't for the life of me remember where I read it that warlocks can't blast things while tied up. Well I doubt he's going to like this much but it's hardly going to cripple his character.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Surrogate spell, eshchew materials, take levels in sorcerer and rogue, then go into Spellwarp Sniper. Shoot lasers from the eyes of a kitten!

Note: I didn't come up with this idea, but at the moment, I cannot remember who did. They are wonderful, and thanks to them.

25. - Top - End - #25

Savage species has gloves of man. Though expensive, they allow you to use your paws as though they were fully functional hands. A wizard2/thug sneak attack fighter1/ranger2/unseen seer 10/abjurant champion5 gets BAB 16, 9th level spells, great skills, and sneak attack. Grab the gloves of man and a collar of umbral metamorphosis and you'll be the sneakiest, deadliest, ninja wizard cat ever.
    Last edited by Hirax; 2013-01-21 at 06:31 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Have you looked in to being a Binder?
    Yes you would have to bind a Vestige, probably in human form, but once done, might be good.

Or perhaps totemist or incarnate?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hah! Binder kitty sounds ridiculous and cool. Kitten with horns or goat legs is kinda hard to hide though

Edit: a scion of dantalion kitty is nightmare fuel I reckon. Useful with the read minds at will tho
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2013-01-21 at 06:50 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by koboldish View Post
    Surrogate spell, eshchew materials, take levels in sorcerer and rogue, then go into Spellwarp Sniper. Shoot lasers from the eyes of a kitten!

Note: I didn't come up with this idea, but at the moment, I cannot remember who did. They are wonderful, and thanks to them.
    Add on Deceptive Spell from Cityscape, if you want, and you can have the spells seem like they're coming from your mook "owner."
    LGBTA+itP

29. - Top - End - #29

DruidGuy

If you can get access to the Zceryll vestige, I would go 100% with Binder here. Hiding in bushes and silently spawning Chtuloid monsters from beyond the frozen stars has a nice, catlike feel to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Popertop View Post
    Congratulations sir, only a proud, great and terrible few have managed to produce an epic frown from me.

30. - Top - End - #30

GreataxeFighterGuy

I actually once played a Marshal Tibbit. that that I was an actual pers an actual person. Of course the players knew but they kept the knowledge set aside. All they knew was they became more awesome when they have the cat around so the adopted it and took it with them on their travels. racking up your kills wit racking up your kills with it but it was a a fun thing to roleplay. I am sure that anyone could find a way to make this some what powerful when it comes to combat
    Is that what i think it is?

*eats the fighter*

Yeah that is a dragon... Run?