1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Looking for Stop Motion Capture Software.

I just got a webcam and it's a pretty good one all things considered, a Logitech HD Webcam C270.
    One thing I would like to do with it is try my hand at stop motion video making, claymation and things like that, and I was wondering if the Playground had any preferences on software for doing that with a webcam. Onion skinning is definite preference, but not absolutely needed, something that runs lean and mean as opposed to bloatware on general principles.
    My operating system at the moment is Windows Vista, if comparability is an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Looking for Stop Motion Capture Software.

Your best bet with stop motion is using photographs. Essentially you snap the picture, move the figures, snap the next picture, move the figures, etc etc (depending on the quality of animation you're looking for will determine how much you move each part, and how many frames of photos you want to use to make the animation).

Then take all the pictures together, import them into your favorite movie editor, and then trim the length of each photo being displayed, until you get an animation speed you're pleased with.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Your best bet with stop motion is using photographs. Essentially you snap the picture, move the figures, snap the next picture, move the figures, etc etc (depending on the quality of animation you're looking for will determine how much you move each part, and how many frames of photos you want to use to make the animation).

Then take all the pictures together, import them into your favorite movie editor, and then trim the length of each photo being displayed, until you get an animation speed you're pleased with.
    The movie editors that can do this usually have a feature that as long as the still images are named correctly, usually a form of "picturename001", "picturename002", etc. it will lay all of these down on your timeline automatically instead of having to do it frame by frame by hand. There is also a setting that allows you to choose the default time length of added stills, so you could set this to 1, 2, or 3 frames per picture, or whatever. Typically the default for this is 4-6 seconds (at 24, 25, or 30 frames per second depending on the timecode you use).

There was a thread a while back about some pretty nice freeware video editing software, but since I already have Adobe Premiere, I forgot what the conclusion was. Here's an online review list that might be helpful. (Wax sounds familiar from the earlier thread I was talking about, so might be worth checking out)
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

When I helped my partner on her stop motion, she was using Dragon Stopmotion. It was pretty good, did what was needed.

The result was this (Cut paper animation): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufGjU0h3H4I

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

How lovely!
    Unfortunately, that is but a thirty day trial and I would need longer than that.
    But thank you. :)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions, but I found a piece of software called MonkeyJam that seems to work a treat.
    Thank you for your time and courtesy.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

if you looking for a software make stopmotion video easy i suggest you chooes this tool : stopmotioncretor of andrew darius
    Last edited by davedr; 2017-11-12 at 02:25 AM.