New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default D&D - Derro lore

Recently I've come to take a liking to these weird little crazy fellows, even though they are pretty much the only thing in the 3rd Edition Monster Manuals that never got a picture.

But there isn't really much info on them in 3rd Edition books except possibly being degenerate albino dwarf/gnome/human-hybrids that are completely insane. And under 3rd Ed. rules crazy powerful.

Anything else you could tell me about them?

I think I'm going to use them and Grimlocks as the main Underworld races who are the descendants of cultists that worshiped aberration demigods, like the people of Innsmouth.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: D&D - Derro lore

Open Design/Kobold Quarterly/Kobold Press has some really disturbing takes on the little buggers. The KQ and Paizo websites should have some samples.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Derro (Pathfinder SRD).

It's got a few paragraphs about them under Knowledge checks and Ecology.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

according to my advanced d&d
    extra cruel particularly hate humans human slaves are given the worst tasks and used for "breeding"
    derro live only to slowly and humiliatingly kill humans/ demi humans
    and for the "perversion of knowledge to their own dark ends"

several days of sunlight is fatal
    very group oriented hate being alone
    don't worship gods led by "savants" who have a random selection of spells of varying level the savants are sorta worshiped by regular derro
    don't care for gold other then it's monetary value and love magic items
    every 20 years go to war to with all their neighbors which kills off their weakest members and serves to unites the group.
    Last edited by awa; 2013-01-26 at 01:44 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derro_%...%26_Dragons%29
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Derro

wiki has some info on them.

They are believed to be inspired by the Dero written about by Richard Sharpe Shaver

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Sharpe_Shaver
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Here's a post that should give you a really good picture of Derro origins....

Hmmm. It appears I'm too new to post links, so Google 'Nerds on Earth Derro'

Sorry that's so clunky. I'll post around and soon I'll be able to be more helpful with links.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Apologies, I meant to reply earlier but have been busy and forgot.

For 2nd Ed AD&D WotC managed to mess up and publish their stats in two different modules fairly close together:
    Spoiler: WGA3 Flames of the Falcon
    Show
    Derro are a degenerate race of dwarven stature. They have dwelled in the Underdark for ages, but they were discovered by the mind flayers only five centuries ago, and by the drow shortly before that. The derro have made a name for themselves by their marked cruelty. It is said that a derro lives for two things: the slow and humiliating death of surface demihumans and especially humans, and the perversion of knowledge for their own dark ends.
    Derro are short, with skin the color of an ice-covered lake (white, with bluish undertones), sickly pale yellow or tan hair (always straight), and staring pupil-less eyes. Their features remind dwarves of humans, and vice versa. Derro have rough skin, spotted with short coarse tufts of hair. Most derro wear a loose costume woven from the hair of underground creatures and dyed in deep reds and browns. Even in full armor, exploring new territory or patrolling their own, derro are easily recognizable. Their armor is leather, studded in copper and brass. Leaders, though, wear tougher leather armors, made from the hides of creatures far tougher than cattle. Derro prefer weapons designed to cripple opponents, rather than those built for a quick kill; derro don't see any sport in spears and axes.

The entry in WGR1 Greyhawk Ruins looks identical on a cursory glance.

There's a fair bit more about them, so please fire any specific questions and I will see what I can answer.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

They were also in the module S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    They were also in the module S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth.
    That would be 1st Ed AD&D not 2nd...

There was an article, I think in Dragon (probably the editorial) where the author noted that he discovered that they had printed Derro twice for 2nd Ed, having both modules I looked them up and was embarrassed not to have noticed. (My excuse is that I was not impressed by the Falcon trilogy.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    That would be 1st Ed AD&D not 2nd...
    True, but Yora didn't specify a particular edition. And I generally run 1E modules with very little changes when playing 2E. YMMV, of course.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    True, but Yora didn't specify a particular edition. And I generally run 1E modules with very little changes when playing 2E. YMMV, of course.
    Point - and I apologies as I was sure that 2nd Ed had been specified. That makes S4 probably the best source as it is the original (though it may be less developed that some of the later version). That or was it MM2 they made it into?