New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Ponythread Learns to Draw II

Welcome!

Hello and welcome, one and all, to the SECOND incarnation of Ponythread Learns to Draw. The purpose of this thread is fairly simple - it's a collaborative effort to improve our art skills by posting sketches, line drawings, digital artwork, paintings, etc. and providing advice, constructive criticism and encouragement to one another.

Who Can Post?

Anyone! Although I'll be plugging this thread hardest in the My Little Pony threads in the Media Discussions section of the forum, if anyone wants to post their art here for comments and review, they're more than welcome!

The one suggested rule I have is that if at all possible, along with your post of your own art, please try and provide helpful or encouraging comments to at least one other poster. You don't have to deconstruct their entire technique and write a book about things, but please try and find something you really like, or something you notice that you've struggled with in the past and point it out to them.

What Can We Draw?

Draw anything that inspires you! Although my own work will probably focus on ponies and other cartoon art, the purpose of this thread is to draw, and it's easiest to draw things you like. Thus, feel free to post pictures of people, stick figures, dragons, landscapes, ponies, still life pieces, or anything that makes you want to draw.

But I'm Not a Good Artist

Coincidentally, neither am I! I haven't drawn in years, but I was challenged to do so recently, and I found out that I can make things I'm actually pleased with using only patience, a good eraser, and a model that doesn't move too much.

Also, since the goal of this thread is to LEARN, there's nothing too insignificant to post! Even if you only have 15 minutes to sketch up some stick figures or rough out a character at the end of the day, go ahead and post it. Practice makes perfect, and you learn something every day. There's nowhere to go but up in your abilities!

So try and practice every day, and post your results here! We'll be waiting with open arms and (hopefully) helpful tips.

Helpful Links

General Art

Ponies

References

Assorted Subjects

Inspiration and Challenges
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2013-05-13 at 11:11 PM.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw II

You were quick on the draw there.
    Pun absolutely intended.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-01-25 at 12:19 AM.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I can't really take much credit; fc gave me a heads up on IRC that the thread had sounded its death knell.

Still a little amazed this baby made it to its second incarnation.

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Congratulations guys, of all the copycat drawthreads you are the only ones that haven't died out.

Here's to another year of improvement!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah the mysterious IRC. That explains it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Congratulations guys, of all the copycat drawthreads you are the only ones that haven't died out.

Same in spirit perhaps, but execution is quite different. I suspect its success is based mainly on the fact that we have reserves if people disappear, and no one is obliged to post every day, except me.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-01-25 at 02:18 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

He's right. It is special. it may be easy to brush off, "oh we just doodle", "oh, we have eight cycling contributors", "Nah, we have our slumps".

Everyone doodles. Everyone slumps.

Art isn't about breakthroughs and level ups. It's putting one foot – one post – in front of the other. It's the slog, where you pay attention along the way. the Kung Fu master secret to EVERYTHING... Is practice.

You're practicing.

Don't ever let anyone, not even yourselves, tell you that greatness has ever come from anything more than human determination. The next time your mind tells you you're not good enough, the only answer you can honestly give it is "bitch, please."
    You're in an imaginary race. Your opponent is you, from seven days ago. So long as you're ahead of that guy, you're winning.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

aside from the purpose of stroking your own ego (not a bad thing to do, mind), I don't see how you can call this a copycat thread

---

for the useful links section in the OP, here are some of the links on my "art" bookmark folder and some I easily find in my history:

Zoe Piel's channel I particularly recommend this video which helped me understand value and chroma
    The Dimensions of Color a lot of difficult stuff about color (or maybe I'm just dense)
    PSG Art tutorial one-page wonder, I highly recommend it
    Ctrl+Paint a lot of videos, not really in-depth but should set you on the right track
    Posemaniacs I don't use it a lot myself (googling instead usually) but I don't think it's bad to have around
    Color Scheme Designer very neat tool, I suggest using it for limited-color arts for starters
    About.com Painting has a lot of fundamentals about color on top of painting-specific things
    Save Loomis! a bit dated, and not entirely correct, but still

a lot of these I pried from the SA self-taught thread and ConceptArt.org, the rest from googling or blog-diving

as for more pony-specific things, with regards to near-official art, I think that the storyboard artists' works are better to emulate than the show's art itself, because ironically a lot of the animation disappears when run through the filter of underpaid and/or outsourced animation studios:

Friendship is Certainly Magic by MutatingRaven
    Pony doodles by Sibsy
    MLP board sample by Sibsy even the actual cleaned up storyboards have a lot of liveliness to them
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-01-25 at 05:23 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchicken View Post
    aside from the purpose of stroking your own ego (not a bad thing to do, mind), I don't see how this is a copycat thread at all.
    This was the most toned down version of that post possible.

It took force of will not to post, 'BWUAHAHA! Well done, brief mortals! Your combined efforts have matched an achievement of my own! BUT GROW PROUD NOT, FOR I AM STILL WATCHING, AND MY DAY OF RECKONING IS FAST APPROACHING'.

But over-the-top villain monologues aside, like SiuiS said, good work. Doing stuff is incredibly hard and quitting is incredibly easy. Each piece is it's own achievement and now you've got a thread full of achievements
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2013-01-25 at 05:26 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

aside from the purpose of stroking your own ego (not a bad thing to do, mind), I don't see how you can call this a copycat thread
    This thread literally exists because me doodling and Thanqol Thanqoling inspired a bunch of ponies to band together since they didn't feel they each deserved/warranted/could manage a thread.

Copycat isn't quite accurate because the idea formed at the same time, and Thanqol just acted sooner, but it is pretty durn close.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

There's a new one of these. Finally, a chance to participate that doesn't make me feel morally obligated to read through a kajillion pages.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 214:

Been doing some stuff in the background but if it's going anywhere it'll be a while. So just some unimpressive doodles today done during a movie, acclimatizing to my tablet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: ?
    Music: None obviously.

----

Day 215:

Today I learned I can't draw straight, accurate lines on a tablet, or at least in every direction save one. I should have used a larger canvas to make it not apparent, but PS auto-sized it to my clipboard instead of my usual dimensions, which I didn't notice until it was too late. Anyways, since someone mentioned it in the main thread, have a filly scout Scootaloo (no time to do the other two).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 2-3 hours
    Music: Pony
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-01-26 at 06:35 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    There's a new one of these. Finally, a chance to participate that doesn't make me feel morally obligated to read through a kajillion pages.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Welcome! Stay a while, and listen!"

It goes without saying that I did not draw that.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2013-01-27 at 07:02 AM. Reason: 'listen' begins with an L

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    Day 215:

Today I learned I can't draw straight, accurate lines on a tablet, or at least in every direction save one. I should have used a larger canvas to make it not apparent, but PS auto-sized it to my clipboard instead of my usual dimensions, which I didn't notice until it was too late. Anyways, since someone mentioned it in the main thread, have a filly scout Scootaloo (no time to do the other two).
    3300x2550px with brushes ranging from 10-25 is a good digital art size. Good rule of thumb is at least double the resolution you intend for your finished canvas.

You can change resolutions mid-way through drawing, by the way, at least with most programs.

Straight, accurate lines with a tablet will come to you gradually. The most important tip is move your elbow!! Make a sweeping motion using your entire arm. It feels strange but it's critical to learn.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Day 11. "True monster" or something.

Today I learned I can't draw straight, accurate lines on a tablet, or at least in every direction save one.
    Are you rotating your canvas as you draw? I find that helps a lot.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

3300x2550px with brushes ranging from 10-25 is a good digital art size. Good rule of thumb is at least double the resolution you intend for your finished canvas.

You can change resolutions mid-way through drawing, by the way, at least with most programs.

Straight, accurate lines with a tablet will come to you gradually. The most important tip is move your elbow!! Make a sweeping motion using your entire arm. It feels strange but it's critical to learn.
    5000x5000 with 40px lines is my typical size for a pony drawing. I think yesterday's was less than 500. I never thought to change the resolution after starting though, good idea.

Lines with my elbow was little challenging, mostly because I kept catching the tablet by contacting it a little to hard with my hand. That is probably easily fixable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Are you rotating your canvas as you draw? I find that helps a lot.
    I tried doing that a few times today, with ok results. I think I just need some more practice in general though.

----

Day 216:

Angel bunny, might add some more on to it tomorrow. Also using a method that is painfully slow, and produces shoddy results, so we'll see about switching that up a bit.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Two-ish hours?

16. - Top - End - #16

Lines with my elbow was little challenging, mostly because I kept catching the tablet by contacting it a little to hard with my hand. That is probably easily fixable.
    Drawing glove helps with that.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Drawing glove helps with that.
    Yeah. My main way to fix it was going to be actually using a table/desk, instead of my lap as I am currently doing. I have a feeling it might work better.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, I have trawled through the entirety of the last thread, and posted my findings in the OP, re: Art References, Tutorials, Inspiration and Odds and Ends.

If anyone wants to add something, post it here (or PM me if I'm being scarce) and I'll edit it in.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

To all saying that you should use an enormous canvas and then downsize and whatnot. While this does work at first, you're better off learning how to control lines on smaller scale size.

I get straight, unwavering lines by abusing fast motion, good motor skills, and the undo button. I do most of my art with a 1000x widest/highest side and my brushes will range from 2px to 10px for lining. You just need to learn to control your tablet properly rather than trying to over compensate. You should also adjust your pressure settings to what suits you best. Mine is very insensitive (it hurts me feelings!) because I prefer to put a lot of pressure on the tablet.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    To all saying that you should use an enormous canvas and then downsize and whatnot. While this does work at first, you're better off learning how to control lines on smaller scale size.

I get straight, unwavering lines by abusing fast motion, good motor skills, and the undo button. I do most of my art with a 1000x widest/highest side and my brushes will range from 2px to 10px for lining. You just need to learn to control your tablet properly rather than trying to over compensate. You should also adjust your pressure settings to what suits you best. Mine is very insensitive (it hurts me feelings!) because I prefer to put a lot of pressure on the tablet.
    I'll have to completely disagree because I think it's good practice to work digitally at least 300 ppi, not only for the benefit of hypothetical printers but also allows you to create sketches zoomed out at screen size (or smaller than screen size) before zooming in for detailed work that working at 72 or 96 ppi will simply not give you room for. The only good reason to work at such a low resolution is if your computer or software are terrible.

Mind you I'm only using ppi measures as an orderly shorthand since I don't think a lot of us are planning to work with printing in mind (at least not yet, though I do think it's good to think along those lines anyway), but working zoomed out at a high resolution is better than what you're describing. You're not "better off learning how to control lines on smaller scale size," at least not in the way you seem to mean.
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-01-28 at 05:06 AM. Reason: pixels dots whats the diff

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

The straighter looking lines is really a side effect. I am of the same opinion as flyingchicken; working at such resolutions is in order to have room to add details that could not be done with smaller canvases. I can always shrink it later, as I do when I upload them.

----

Day 217:

Continuation from yesterday. Every time Spike said "Angel." I got this in my head. Sound effects not included.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: ~an hour
    Music: None

Because of how the colours are, it looks like spike is smiling, which works I guess.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-01-28 at 10:21 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Day 12 - Zombie girl. I'm actually quite happy with this one. Took me a while though. I really shouldn't be chatting on Skype while I draw.

For the record: 3000x4000 canvas, 300dpi. I forget what size brush I used.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Madcrafter, I very much like your tablet pony-work (the color choices, for one, are not horrendous), but it's apparent that that roughness in linework you suffer from on paper translates over to digital (albeit a bit less obvious).

Now, I still feel like you're drawing without volume in that first set of sketches, and volume isn't strictly necessary depending on what you want to draw--however, understanding fundamentals will give you insight into the thinking behind certain simplifications done in cartoons for example, and honing that understanding would improve your simpler drawings rather than distract from them. At least, that's what I think, and I'm often wrong.

Diego Havoc, while my previous comments still stand, I'd like to add that I feel like your monster girls are bland in their details--I think the monster girl challenge is a great vehicle to practice trying to create interesting and appealing designs. I feel like you're drawing the mannequins but not their dresses and accessories, the bare minimum to be called that specific sort of monster girl, without trying to add the littlest bit of flair and personality.

---

Of course, I haven't progressed much in the monster girl department... been distracted by other things, both art and non-art... some stuff I've drawn:

dead line doodles
    Spoiler
    Show

cave dwellers quick d&d-esque race concept sketches
    Spoiler
    Show

cartoon girl
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-01-30 at 04:05 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Madcrafter, I very much like your tablet pony-work (the color choices, for one, are not horrendous), but it's apparent that that roughness in linework you suffer from on paper translates over to digital (albeit a bit less obvious).

Now, I still feel like you're drawing without volume in that first set of sketches, and volume isn't strictly necessary depending on what you want to draw--however, understanding fundamentals will give you insight into the thinking behind certain simplifications done in cartoons for example, and honing that understanding would improve your simpler drawings rather than distract from them. At least, that's what I think, and I'm often wrong.
    Well for the colours, they are just show colours so I can't really take credit for them. I get what you're saying about the volume thing. Having to really understand before you can simplify came up once before, though I don't believe it was addressed to me at the time. I agree with you though.

----

Day 218-219:

A two day work this time. Didn't come out as nice as I would like, but what does; that's what the practice is for. Kinda rushed the background, since I didn't really think about having one until the very end. Should've given her an actual nose too; at least I remembered the cutie mark.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: a couple and 1:30 respectively

----

Day 221:

Yesterday I started, but didn't manage to finish, and today I don't have the time, so I just did something simple to fill the gap. I'll complete yesterday's tomorrow or Sunday. Was thinking of maybe making this to an avatar, but the background sort of has to be white, and I hate the giant white square style. Lines are still wavy, but I feel like I am getting better at them slowly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Maybe 30 min

----

Day 220, 222:

The one I didn't finish on Thursday. Now that it's uploaded (always once it's uploaded) I think it should be a fair bit darker. And a bunch of other stuff. For next time I guess. Bah that's and easy enough adjustment. Let there be contrast and not brightness!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: ~1 and 3 hours

----

Day 223:

A Boba Fett helmet. Didn't do anything new in this one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 2:30
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-02-03 at 07:37 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

Grrrrr.

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET USED TO THIS FRIGGIN' TABLET ;_;
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    Grrrrr.

A while. But keep on truckin' - you can make some really neat stuff with them, and for me at least, it really helps with uploading things to share since you skip the scanning step.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Grrrrr.

You also might want to try just using it as your normal mouse for a while too. I found that helped getting used to using it.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-02-03 at 11:09 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Grrrrr.

This long.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

We're only allowed to post tablet-made drawing here, right?
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

30. - Top - End - #30

We're only allowed to post tablet-made drawing here, right?
    Post what you like, dude.