Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw II

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Just another Lotus pic. Moderately motivational. :P
    Spoiler: Row, row, fight the power!
    Show

Link.
    Seems like something a cat would do. ^^;
    She seems like the type to sever fingers if you get too close to those ears.

Remind me, are her red hooves because of blood stains?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #662
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Seems like something a cat would do. ^^;
    She seems like the type to sever fingers if you get too close to those ears.
    Hehe, yup. Before I added the phrase in, the title was "Good way to lose an arm (and not regret it)." :P

Remind me, are her red hooves because of blood stains?
    You'd think that'd be the case considering where she comes from, but she's been killing naught but changelings and skeletons since the campaign began, and is reluctant to kill ponies at all.

It's actually her natural coat color, resembling the coloration of lotus petals, but more red:
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

3. - Top - End - #663

You'd think that'd be the case considering where she comes from
    Nah, I thought that because she looks like she would sever my fingers for touching.

but she's been killing naught but changelings and skeletons since the campaign began, and is reluctant to kill ponies at all.
    It's actually her natural coat color, resembling the coloration of lotus petals, but more red
    Ah, that's nice. :3

Cool, thanks for explaining it!
    Digo Dragon - Artist

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ogre in the Playground

This is nice. Neat details, nice colors on the terrain and shadows, but something's off with some of the angles. And I can't shake the feeling that the sky is on fire. :)
    The angles is because I started out drawing freely without any thought. Then about halfway through I put in some perspective lines to maybe try and get some rigour. Then I went ahead a few days later and changed the perspective lines. Hence why some parts, most noticeably the cobbles on the bottom right, look totally out of whack. I didn't want to go over and change them, they took so long to do originally (and using a transform would have still required me to go over and redo the shadows, which I totally should've done on a different layer).

Just another Lotus pic. Moderately motivational. :P
    Heh. My minor criticism for the day is that that thumb looks super weird to me. It's coming out the side of the hand instead of the wrist, so either a little anatomy shift or we're seeing two angles of the same hand at once. The pony looks good though, I especially like the casual head dodge.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

5. - Top - End - #665

Nah, I thought that because she looks like she would sever my fingers for touching.
    Heh, if I managed to convey that character detail in the drawing, then I've really succeeded. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    The angles is because I started out drawing freely without any thought. Then about halfway through I put in some perspective lines to maybe try and get some rigour. Then I went ahead a few days later and changed the perspective lines. Hence why some parts, most noticeably the cobbles on the bottom right, look totally out of whack. I didn't want to go over and change them, they took so long to do originally (and using a transform would have still required me to go over and redo the shadows, which I totally should've done on a different layer).
    Ah. Understandable. I don't do well with resuming projects myself. It usually ends up with a full redraw. :P

Heh. My minor criticism for the day is that that thumb looks super weird to me. It's coming out the side of the hand instead of the wrist, so either a little anatomy shift or we're seeing two angles of the same hand at once. The pony looks good though, I especially like the casual head dodge.
    Hm, yeah, I'd even say there's something like three angles there. Hands are weird things. It's easier to draw a hoof with a hoof, than a hand with a hand. :P
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------

6. - Top - End - #666

Various additional Lotusings.

It's odd, I'd never have thought myself to be a shipwright, but apparently Lotus is my muse right now so...

Spoiler: ...For a thousand summers, I will wait for you...
    Show

link

Spoiler: The greatest story never told
    Show

link
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

7. - Top - End - #667

[The greatest story never told]
    Heehee, that's the title of both a fanfic i'm writing and the best Justice League episode ever. XD

I like the hoof-work posing here. The tripping, the stumbling, the rearing back (oof, poor changeling. That dagger is gonna hurt).
    Digo Dragon - Artist

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 764-5:

Beginnings of a dancing person still trying out one new brush, but incomplete because...
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 766-9:

I had the great idea of doing this. I found it quite interesting to do myself too, since I'm well aware that what I think I look like has very little relation to what I actually do. Also found a cool way of doing stubble completely by accident (originally the whole image looked like the shirt before I started painting over with a smoother brush). I also never knew my nose could look so huge .
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #669

Day 766-9:

I had the great idea of doing this. I found it quite interesting to do myself too, since I'm well aware that what I think I look like has very little relation to what I actually do. Also found a cool way of doing stubble completely by accident (originally the whole image looked like the shirt before I started painting over with a smoother brush). I also never knew my nose could look so huge .
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dude, how did you do that stubble? Seriously, I like that texture.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ogre in the Playground

Dude, how did you do that stubble? Seriously, I like that texture.
    Basically the new brush set I've been experimenting with has a "Pointillism" brush, which when used gives something like the shirt texture. I originally used it for blocking in the whole picture, but found I didn't quite like it for skin and started painting over with smoother ones. Leaving it behind in some areas gave me that interesting effect. You can still see some other evidence of it here and there, mostly around transition points in the ear and brow.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

I read a very interesting blog post today discussing the idea that quite possibly many experiences that one has/does not have are statistical outliers, and that people actually experience the world far more differently than one imagines from normal interaction. The header example was and experiment by Galton in 1880 that implies that there is a significant segment of the population that cannot see any form of mental image (imagination) and even lack any concrete concept of the idea (and it varies on a spectrum from no ability to those who are eidetic).

Anyways, someone in the comments linked to a test to distinguish between colours, something else that varies quite widely apparently. While results will certainly be affected by the hardware it's done on, it made me wonder about the resurfacing criticism I get that my art can be ill-defined and watery. While I typically agree that it is, I wonder how much the origin of this might be attributable to me seeing more sharp edges than I'd like and over-smoothing to compensate. Certainly not applicable in every case, but it is an interesting thought. I wonder if I could do some sort of training working in a deliberately restricted colourspace?

12. - Top - End - #672
    Colossus in the Playground

I read a very interesting blog post today discussing the idea that quite possibly many experiences that one has/does not have are statistical outliers, and that people actually experience the world far more differently than one imagines from normal interaction. The header example was and experiment by Galton in 1880 that implies that there is a significant segment of the population that cannot see any form of mental image (imagination) and even lack any concrete concept of the idea (and it varies on a spectrum from no ability to those who are eidetic).

Anyways, someone in the comments linked to a test to distinguish between colours, something else that varies quite widely apparently. While results will certainly be affected by the hardware it's done on, it made me wonder about the resurfacing criticism I get that my art can be ill-defined and watery. While I typically agree that it is, I wonder how much the origin of this might be attributable to me seeing more sharp edges than I'd like and over-smoothing to compensate. Certainly not applicable in every case, but it is an interesting thought. I wonder if I could do some sort of training working in a deliberately restricted colourspace?
    Over-smoothing is something I've done a lot of too - it's just so easy to see something that doesn't quite work and blur it until it's nice, safe and flatly gradiented. My tendency to do it comes from 'i have to do something, this is something, i have to do this'. I've been trying for a while to get my head around much harder, sharper lines and shadows but I've been limited in that by my hardware.

If you're concerned about it, try doing some very hard, flat pieces for a while. You're making great progress overall with the painterly stuff but it could really be worth exploring a polar opposite to your usual style.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Over-smoothing is something I've done a lot of too - it's just so easy to see something that doesn't quite work and blur it until it's nice, safe and flatly gradiented. My tendency to do it comes from 'i have to do something, this is something, i have to do this'. I've been trying for a while to get my head around much harder, sharper lines and shadows but I've been limited in that by my hardware.

If you're concerned about it, try doing some very hard, flat pieces for a while. You're making great progress overall with the painterly stuff but it could really be worth exploring a polar opposite to your usual style.
    Hmm, decent idea. I'll give it a shot.

----

Day 770-2:

Let's just abandon this one then, not like it was going anywhere. Actually I have no idea where it was going.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2015-09-20 at 10:29 PM.

14. - Top - End - #674

Let's just abandon this one then, not like it was going anywhere. Actually I have no idea where it was going.
    The leaves are neat though.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 773:

As always, it starts with ponies.
    Spoiler: Ahhh, this is the cutest thing I have ever made!
    Show
    As always, looks better a little smaller.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2015-09-21 at 08:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Simple and adorable!

*tries to find gif of cute ghoul yawning*

17. - Top - End - #677
    Colossus in the Playground

Day 773:

As always, it starts with ponies.
    Spoiler: Ahhh, this is the cutest thing I have ever made!
    Show
    As always, looks better a little smaller.
    Hey yeah, that's what I'm talking about. If you're like me you're going to be obsessing and freaking over those hard divides and constantly meddling with line angles. If you have any solutions to that please tell me because I don't.

18. - Top - End - #678

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    *tries to find gif of cute ghoul yawning*
    You mean this one?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Yes! *admires for the next 12 hours*

20. - Top - End - #680
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Hey yeah, that's what I'm talking about. If you're like me you're going to be obsessing and freaking over those hard divides and constantly meddling with line angles. If you have any solutions to that please tell me because I don't.
    I don't have such a huge issue with the big divides as long as they look ok and make sense (everything is always in hard light!). I'm just trying to avoid going in and fixing all those little wobbles in the lines, which is something I used to do obsessively (down to editing single pixels, because yes, they are that noticeable to me) but takes forever. If I had wanted to do that picture "better", I would've used the arc selections to get nice smooth curves.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 774:

Potatoes (yeah, I have no idea what even).
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 775-6:

Just a lizard of some sort.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 777-9:

Incomplete (as you can very well tell from the eyes which need a serious rework). Was originally going to be kicking a mannequin with the princess dress, or potentially that poor pony with the green hat.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 780:

But then this movie came out so I sketched Daydream Shimmer's dress instead.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 781:

More flats, environmental this time. It's a nice change of pace I will say, though I had to keep myself from going full painty on the last Sunset one.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 782-3:

Here too, especially since the original has just a little bit of shading around certain edges for good effect. I think it still looks alright with some back and forth and a little jaggedness though.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #682

I really like how you work with flat colors, Madcrafter. Do you start with sketches for those, or do you start directly with colors and just refine them as you go along?

------

This isn't a drawing. It's an idea I had while on the bus, and I had to sketch it because I thought it was hilarious and I couldn't find anything similar by googling around.
    Spoiler: Conspiracy!
    Show

link

--
    A sketch of White Wind I did for Gadora on the IRC. Rather rougher than usual because I'm using a different stylus in an effort to preserve my tablet's screen. Trying various things with angles, perspective, lighting, and basic backgrounds.
    Spoiler
    Show

link

--
    And a quick sketch of Ochae the Bean Sidhe from the Dominions 4 game that I'm losing horribly elsewhere. She's undead, ethereal, has a mirror-image glamor, and is kitted out in various expensive gear. And she's my only assassin.
    Spoiler
    Show

link
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ogre in the Playground

The lizard and Rarity were started from sketches, the others were just straight to colours (that's actually the main problem with Rarity's eyes, they follow the sketch too closely. The sketch looks fine, but when transferred it's obviously not working well. I think this is because there is a lack of volume at this unfinished stage, since it's not longer obvious they're cartoonishly bulging in flat colour).
    The Dresden Codak one is pretty much a straight copy though, so I didn't bother with a sketch, and the cave is just abstract from a memory of a picture I had seen the day before (this one I believe).

Even that simple background, a few smudges to suggest clouds, I think works quite well. White Wind's got a weird worm leg going on though.

I quite like the mirror image effect too, even though I know it's nothing more than a layer duplicate + opacity.

----

Day 784:

Hair. Strayed a bit from the roots here (ha) and added a gradient and some stars, because special alicorn hair.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #684

Hair. Strayed a bit from the roots here (ha) and added a gradient and some stars, because special alicorn hair.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe it's Neighbaline?

That's a really nice mane you drew. Celestia I think has the hardest hair to draw.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #685

I'm sorry I can't comment on the images, because with the levels of potato my internet is being lately, this page takes almost literal ages to load.

On the other hand, I've performed some driver voodoo and hooked up my (old, now) Intuos 5 to my Wacom-penabled Samsung tablet PC. This results in a hilarious situation where I can point at stuff on the screen with eight different things (mouse, touchpad, touchscreen, S-Pen, S-Pen eraser tip, Intuos stylus, Intuos stylus eraser tip, Intuos touch mode), of which the four stylus ends can be set as different tools that MyPaint all recognizes separately. Kinda useless overall, but sort of neat. :P

I also haven't realized before how much Intuos is better with smoothness and accuracy of strokes than the Samsung integrated sensor. Even if the S-Pen is Wacom, the tilt sensitivity and extra resolution on the Intuos really help. Although it does require another set of skills, which my hands didn't want to remember at first. :P

Spoiler: This is supposed to be a Twilight Sparkle
    Show

Could maybe pass as Twilight Velvet I suppose? :P

Thought once the skills have warmed up the extra precision and smoothness really works well:
    Spoiler: Another White Wind
    Show

Even though there is some driver voodoo required to keep this setup running (services need to be stopped or restarted every time the Intuos is connected or disconnected), I think I'll keep it. :)
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

26. - Top - End - #686

Spoiler: This is supposed to be a Twilight Sparkle
    Show

Could maybe pass as Twilight Velvet I suppose? :P

Thought once the skills have warmed up the extra precision and smoothness really works well:
    Spoiler: Another White Wind
    Show
    Wait. Wait wait wait wait... Wait. This is all done on a tablet? Not with pencil? o.o
    Digo Dragon - Artist

27. - Top - End - #687

Wait. Wait wait wait wait... Wait. This is all done on a tablet? Not with pencil? o.o
    Yep, all tablet.
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again - MyPaint has an awesome brush engine. ^_^
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

28. - Top - End - #688

More pencilly sketchings.

Ponythread IRC provided me with the idea for this:
    Spoiler: Plushie lion rampant
    Show

link

And this is one of the guys whom I haven't been drawing for quite a while now. Came out much better than the last attempt, a year ago. :P
    Spoiler: Random Mii'Ari civilian
    Show

link
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

29. - Top - End - #689
    Ogre in the Playground

I would say that's an improvement.

----

Day 785:

Just sketching, nothing to see here.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 786-7:

Moonshot!
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 788:

And I went back to painty...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2015-10-12 at 06:33 PM.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 789-94:

Some strange artifacting when it was cropped and re-sized, it messed with some of the layers.
    Spoiler
    Show