New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw II

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    The main reason that most art instructors would tell you is that usually an exaggerated style comes from an artist who knows how to draw realistically, and has chosen to emphasize certain elements for certain reasons.

This isn't true across the board, but learning to draw realistically can indeed really help you when you try to duplicate an artists style, or when you try to figure out your own style.
    Hey, it's a djinn!

But basically what he said. To be a truly good artist, you really need a basis in realism. While this isn't 100% all of the time every time, it damn well helps. Attending life drawing classes, or just trying to redraw from photos, but giving yourself a limited time frame.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

All of which is great advice and I certainly won't contradict it.
    but that does all boil down to opinion and isn't the only way to learn or the only take on art itself. Heaven knows there have been plenty of artistic movements based around subverting or ignoring those basic concepts in some way.

Personally, I always valued the purity of simply enjoying the act of mark-making itself. The colours, shapes and movement. I really have no time for correct methods, formalised practice and the whole academic approach. Never really did. Admittedly, it's a significantly more complex issue these days since I began slowly rehabilitating myself and actually trying to create again. I'm a bit of a psychological car crash.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 227:

Mmmm, I am really going to have to try and think about this stuff harder. Cogitating while drawing is difficult, I keep forgetting I should. Anyways, just the image of the poem.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: ~2h
    Music: None

----

Day 228:

I don't even know. This thing started out completely differently, and I had no idea how it morphed into this art-deco-ish ... thing. It also somehow managed to keep an outline sketch, and lose everything else save the gradients.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time:
    Music: Pony

----

Day 229:

You may recognize this one from the PnP days.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: A few hours

----

Day 230:

Another convoluted one. Started out as just a head, and my canvas slowly expanded until it all looked like crap, so I hid it all with a blur and said it was what I meant to do all along. Very professional I know. The dude's (who switched genders a few times during the process) posture is a little strange, since he wasn't originally in a scene (or even had a body for that matter). I'm going to claim he is in a dream, which is why his head and the shadow snake thing are the only objects in focus.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 1:30

----

Day 231:

From a book I am reading again. Much better work than the terrible time I had doing stuff this weekend.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: ~1:30
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-02-11 at 06:22 PM.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

I don't know what brushes you're using, but stop using them and just use the default, slightly anti-aliased solid brushes for now and raise flow/opacity/density to max or near max. Once you have a handle on using those (I'd even suggest taking a bigger step back and just working with values), then you could start experimenting with the dirty muddy blurry airbrush-y things...

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchicken View Post
    I don't know what brushes you're using, but stop using them and just use the default, slightly anti-aliased solid brushes for now and raise flow/opacity/density to max or near max. Once you have a handle on using those (I'd even suggest taking a bigger step back and just working with values), then you could start experimenting with the dirty muddy blurry airbrush-y things...
    Thankee for the suggestion. I've never used anything other than the default round brush, adjusting size, hardness and opacity (don't know what flow does). I see what you mean though. Probably because I like the smudgy uncleaned oil aesthetic, and crudely tried to achieve it with complete lack of understanding.

----

Day 232:

Cubes; three of them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 45 minutes

----

Day 233:

I don't think I did a very good job on getting the cubes right, but I didn't have any reference for them.
    Spheres; three of them. Used the same technique that I was before to do the shading, since I don't really know how else I can smooth the gradiants.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 45 minutes

----

Day 234:

And a combo. Black one didn't work out so well this time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 1h
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-02-15 at 12:29 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Thought I'd upload something here to see what people think:

Spoiler
    Show

I'm not sure what he's annoyed at, but whatever it is, it's pretty annoying.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Thought I'd upload something here to see what people think:

Spoiler
    Show

I'm not sure what he's annoyed at, but whatever it is, it's pretty annoying.
    Is that a... claw dripping blood as his cutie mark? Only thing I might change would be pointing the lines, but IIRC you don't usually do that (at least on avatars, since it's not noticeable).

----

Day 235:

A fish, of unknown variety.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 30 minutes

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    Is that a... claw dripping blood as his cutie mark? Only thing I might change would be pointing the lines, but IIRC you don't usually do that (at least on avatars, since it's not noticeable).
    No, it's a bloodstained quill. I thought it appropriate for a student of military history who is himself a warrior.

Yeah... I don't do that because I don't know how and it seems to be needlessly complicated.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    No, it's a bloodstained quill. I thought it appropriate for a student of military history who is himself a warrior.

Yeah... I don't do that because I don't know how and it seems to be needlessly complicated.
    If you're using SAI and the Linework layer, try using the Pressure tool!

If you're not, imagine I posted an adorable puppy!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    If you're using SAI and the Linework layer, try using the Pressure tool!

If you're not, imagine I posted an adorable puppy!
    That is certainly an adorable puppy.

Dragons!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey there now, I want to see a real drawing of an adorable puppy. Cuteness included. If not, I may have to draw one myself.

----

Day 236:

Another Twilight, this one with wings. Definitely not done, but I probably won't bother finishing it tomorrow. Tried some different things by messing around, like adding the colour using a overlay and clipping mask on my original B&W. Left my shadows a fair bit more quantized as well.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Interrupted too many times to tell

----

Day 237:

Oooh, exploring new tools. Unfortunately my computer has trouble handling the computationally intense tools when the sizes get too big, so I'll probably try smaller things, since I don't always use the whole canvas anyways. Fire is a bit static looking, but that's ok for now. Also learned another way to blend my lighting more.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: ~2h?

EDIT: I just realized I coloured that one too... I totally wasn't intending to do that.

----

Day 238:

A quick cello. Trying to get myself to not be so perfectionistic with my edges and things.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: ~1h?

----

Day 239:

A face that turned into more of a death mask. More experiments with getting smoother transitions.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 1h?

----

Day 240:

A mug. Misshapen, but the colour blending worked better, 'cept the spots.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 1h?

----

Day 241:

Did some stuff with some filters that I mostly painted over, but still found a few cool things. I like the lights too.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 1:30?

----

Day 242:

I don't feel justified in feeling good about this one, since it's once again a copy of a photograph. Still a very good learning experience. And I made a copy and painted it blue, because I could.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Music: A bit of Pony

----

Day 243:

I don't think it's too terribly misshapen for a face done completely without reference. I like how the hair turned out though, even if it's not perfect (unless you look from farther away).
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 244:

Watched a bunch of videos today, just on basics again. Started this but didn't finish, I'll probably do so tomorrow. Also means it includes my pre-sketching.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 2h?

----

Day 245:

A bit crude, but whatever. I'm done with it, though there is a lot more that could be done.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Hour and a bit
    Music: Some Pony

----

Day 246:

Time not. Motivation low too today.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 25 min
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-02-27 at 12:28 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 12:58 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchicken View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    wip//sultana celestia (tect asked for this ooo 4 weeks ago...)
    Oh my Lord.

That is a fantastic Celestia sultan. *__*

*__* being a face with stars in its eyes.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Oh my Lord.

That is a fantastic Celestia sultan. *__*
    I'd have to agree. That first painted face I think is excellently executed as well, despite the giant eyes making it look creepy as hell.

As for the short lines, I am doing a bit of a more connect the dots approach as you say. For people, I usually do about 3-4 pre-sketches that slowly work up from skeleton, through short strokes, up to the outlines that I then fill, which I try to do with as continuous a stroke as possible. Easier to see it in the hockey player than cliff-man since his lines are bigger.

----

Days 247-8:

Time is short so I split one over two days. Really feel I am trying to run before I can walk again, and that I should jump back to more fundamental stuff and watch some videos. Lighting on basic shapes and anatomy and whatnot, since those are especially noticeable on this one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: A few hours over both days.

I do think I did ok on the ear and hands at least, even if they are a bit chunky and mannish.

EDIT: What tablet did you have before flyingchicken? And what made you get a new one?

----

Day 249:

The beginnings of a bird eye. Unfortunately 11:20pm is not the best time to start these things. We'll see if I try and expand on it tomorrow (today).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 40 min

----

Day 250:

And more.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Music:None

----

Day 251:

'Nother incomplete one, will likely finish it tomorrow. Hand is starting to cramp so I'm done for today. Based on paintings of St. Jerome, because of the story (although it shows up a lot).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: ~2:30

----

Day 252:

Just more of the same, still not done. I think the inkpot is the best piece, which is sad.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: another 1:30

----

Day 253:

Well enough with this picture. Inkpot is still the best part. Not the longest I've worked on one image before, but doing it over three days has been tiring, and I'm sure it's caused me to miss a lot of mistakes. One thing I can see is that the image is a little too busy in the centre. The line made by the paw totally dominates the scene, making Fluttershy's hooves holding the thorn difficult to see.
    Spoiler
    Show

----

Day 254:

Nothing interesting here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 50m

----

Day 255:

Another one of those days where I think I'll do something easy and quick, and then I just take a long time, while staying at the original very low quality.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Hour and a bit
    Music: Some Pony

I should actually try and learn something one of these days.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-03-07 at 11:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

So, after going computerless for a while there, I've slowly built back up to working further on the big Applejack in the land of the Mushroom Ponies pic. Gave my new Wacom a bit of a go for only the second or third time* and I think I'm starting to get used to it.

Very nearly didn't bother uploading the WIP, given how little actual progress got made. Just starting to tidy up the background and composition a bit, basically redrawing the bits and bobs in flat colours.
    Spoiler
    Show

It's also missing all of the mushrooms in the background. It's kind of getting there though, so very slowly.
    Still a lot of little bits I want to chop and change even before getting on to filling the swampy far background with more shrooms.

Had to do some digging to find where I'd uploaded the first WIP for comparison.
    Spoiler
    Show

*The picture that Siuis's avatar came from was the first set of things I did with the new tablet, I think. For a simple splodgey doodle, it kind of turned out okay.
    Spoiler
    Show

It looks better at avatar size though.
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2013-03-12 at 11:31 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

That guy in the bottom right looks really good flyinchicken, the expression on his face especially. His gun looks a little twisted, even though that looks to be deliberate (to show the side?). Very... I don't know, comic-booky? Maybe MadWorld, though I've only seen it played once, I think it had a similar style going for it. Bah, I don't have enough modern cultural experience to make good comparisons; maybe if it were a Renaissance piece I could.

And good to see you again Tiki Snakes. Seems like most everyone went MIA for February (IRL too, people don't seem to do much during that month). One comment on your drawing is that AJ's legs are very stiff and non-bendy for walking; maybe you were intending to change that later.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    *The picture that Siuis's avatar came from was the first set of things I did with the new tablet, I think. For a simple splodgey doodle, it kind of turned out okay.
    The nice part of avatars is that even if you mess up horribly, no one can see it.

----

As for me I've done nothing worthwhile during my small post break there.

Day 256:

Only time during the beginnings of a marathon D&D session (since my group finally started up a game again). A couple of really bad doodles, was trying to use my shoulder a bit more.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 20-30 min

----

Day 257:

Continuation of D&D session took up all morning and afternoon. Discovered a novel grip that makes it infinitely easier to do that shoulder drawing thing, can manage good circles, and a dog. Unfortunately it won't work with a tablet pen since they are way to chunky (holding it at a really sharp angle).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 25 min

----

Day 258:

Sunday I have no excuse, spent most of it tinkering with my Raspberry Pi. Drew some penguins using the technique from the day before.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 40 minutes

----

Day 259:

Surfer. Yeah. I would say I was going for simple, but then I'd be lying.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 30 minutes

----

Day 260:

Today I thought I would attempt to try and teach my group (and myself) to play GURPS because I always thought it looked interesting. Hashed out a rough short campaign, and began to draw the start of the plot. Don't know if I should do Elizabethan or Victorian London though, so they're in modern dress.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: Hour and a bit.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-03-12 at 11:56 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I had no computer at all since about three pages before the end of the last thread untill a couple of weeks ago. Still getting used to having one again. That meant no art for a while and it's taking me time to build up the energy again. Rather than it having been me taking February off by choice, you know?

I've been lurking still, via phones and so on.

Anyway, yeah. The composition is starting to feel a lot better. Applejack is unchanged from the very first draft though, hence the super simple stiff leg walk. Will be putting some work in on her too, but probably not till the background is sorted out for the most part, because the pony part of the picture is very much the easy part.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, yeah, I wouldn't be able to draw a nice continuous line without wobbling to save my life. I'm fine with the chicken scratches for my preliminary work, but if I actually draw lines I agree the compound strokes would be the way to go.

----

Day 261:

Well, these are hard, but really neat to do. (Challenges: guess the character/person, and guess the order I drew them in.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 1h

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 12:59 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

Morgan Freeman (given), ahhh maybe Anthony Hopkins and no idea on the last face. Was part of the challenge to only render the shadows of the faces?

Have been experimenting with my ipad to see if its worth using as a portable sketch pad. The cheap thick tipped stylus I picked up felt like using a roll of cookie dough at first but has gotten somewhat easier to use over time. My app of choice has been the free program "Paper" which is great but lacks a ton of important tools, like a zoom button, really how could you forgot a zoom button. Maybe I'll get my zoom in a future update. I'd love any app recommendations if anyone has some experience with an ipad.
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Purple Tentacle; 2013-03-14 at 08:26 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Pioneers get shot with arrows"

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Morgan Freeman is a giveaway, and was second. Anthony Hopkins (as Hannibal) was first, and Margaret Hamilton (as the Wicked Witch of the West) third. Although looking at it, she does really look a lot like Gene Wilder there (reminds me especially of Wonka from the boat ride).

20% Cooler was the first pony related song I ever heard, when I had only just found out ponies were a thing (and well before I had ever see eqd or the like). Funnily enough I think I've only ever listened to one of his other songs (the Master Yi one).

Interesting to here there are styluses for the iPad, though I guess it makes sense. Your frustrations with Paper remind me of Art Rage Studio, where there was no easy way to move the canvas (you couldn't even zoom in a particular spot and out again to move it!). Unfortunately I very much dislike the apple OS, and so don't have any app recommendations for you. Doesn't look like you're doing half bad with it though, considering the "adverse conditions".

----

Day 262:

I got distracted doing something else, which sucks, so I just did another face thing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 20 min

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

Mad Crafter:
    An ipad and stylus are definitely not at a stage were it can replace or even compete with a fast computer and tablet. Still is handy for banging out sketches and ideas.

I'm fascinated with the sketch a day system you seem to be using. I say that cause I know I wouldn't have the will power for it, 260+ days and going is a great accomplishment. I woner though if that commitment every day gets heavier everyday and you might end up resenting the act you sort to improve at. Anyway despite my reservations it certainly shows commitment to the craft.

Check this out. Its a sketchbook that spans 5 years, his early stuff was quite ordinary but now he's an illustrator for Wizards of the Coast. Pretty inspirational.
    http://www.conceptart.org/showthread.php?t=140145

Dragon sans wings.
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Purple Tentacle; 2013-03-15 at 02:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

The idea is that of the almighty Thanqol, who is currently on day 672 of his own challenge. He keeps a personal thread which you can find here. I decided that I would just take over this thread instead of making my own (incidentally I now feel like I am stifling this thread with my meaningless clutter).

It definitely can be a chore some days, because of lack of inspiration or just lack of time. I know I feel quite guilty when I don't spend an hour or two making something nice, which lately has been all the time. The challenge is occasionally satisfying though.

As for willpower, I don't really need it since there are like three people here who watch and will post occasional advice. If I stop, they'll know.

And that thread is neat, I sort of jumped around to see the differences over time. Quite cool.

----

Day 263:

Some bad doodles, nothing interesting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 40 dispersed minutes maybe
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-03-16 at 02:09 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86

It definitely can be a chore some days, because of lack of inspiration or just lack of time. I know I feel quite guilty when I don't spend an hour or two making something nice, which lately has been all the time. The challenge is occasionally satisfying though.
    I would strongly argue that this is the point. Every day I produce crap I have to post it publicly and take that as a challenge to do better tomorrow. It's kept me going nearly two years!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

The idea is that of the almighty Thanqol, who is currently on day 672 of his own challenge. He keeps a personal thread which you can find here. I decided that I would just take over this thread instead of making my own (incidentally I now feel like I am stifling this thread with my meaningless clutter).

As for willpower, I don't really need it since there are like three people here who watch and will post occasional advice. If I stop, they'll know.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I would strongly argue that this is the point. Every day I produce crap I have to post it publicly and take that as a challenge to do better tomorrow. It's kept me going nearly two years!

I think I get it. While its very important to adhere to the sketch per day to establish rhythm and routine. The public and personal scrutiny you put your work under drives you to improve with each sketch. And because you do produce daily it wont all be great and those bad sketchs should not be looked down on as it is an important early step on achieving a future goal. Be careful of stagnation though, if you reach a stage were you can no longer see yourself progressing you might end up spinning your wheels.

When I draw it feels like I'm fighting myself 50 percent of the time. So when those days come round when I'm not feeling it I prefer to walk away rather than be frustrated and push through it. But thats just a personal thing and everyones got their own workflow. Having a peer group like with members on a forum is a great help. Way back I did a daily sketch group for a month at cgtalk, were a mod would post a topic each day and everyone would do some sort of artwork based off the topic. It was the most fun I've had drawing and I improved a lot in that short time. I am adamant the reason I improved so quickly was that most of the guys participating were very good and while I never got close to meeting their level I tried my balls off. I tried new things I'd never done before, worked longer at a drawing than I had ever before, read tutorials and art books etc. So I always encourage the public display of sketchbooks and artwork because without the internet and art classes many people are just working in a bubble.

Pantsless Druid and Turtle Neck Dracula
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Purple Tentacle; 2013-03-16 at 11:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Tentacle View Post
    and while I never got close to meeting their level I tried my balls off. I tried new things I'd never done before, worked longer at a drawing than I had ever before, read tutorials and art books etc. So I always encourage the public display of sketchbooks and artwork because without the internet and art classes many people are just working in a bubble.
    Yo, this 'tried new things' is the key. Every few days I try something completely left-field, like switching all the settings on my brushes or trying to do something 'impossible' and even if I screw up I've learned incredibly valuable lessons. You might produce a piece of complete garbage but if you can point out one thing you learned it was worthwhile.

It's also where I have the most fun.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2013-03-17 at 12:29 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanqol:
    No doubt discovery is key and I can tell a by devotion to that will see you to were you want to go. I know what I must work at if I want to get better and the list is longer than my arm. It's all kind of daunting. As of right now I happy just doodling, not stretching myself too far and supporting others in their endeavours.

Agghh this tired me out. Drawing Bruce Campbell is like staring into the sun. Might come back to it later.
    Spoiler
    Show

Not sure if the pose came across as intended. He's suppose to be lying down but has his head and shoulders propped up by a wall.
    Last edited by Purple Tentacle; 2013-03-17 at 10:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 01:00 PM.