New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw II

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    I lack first hand experience of Harem Pant crotches and Griffon tailoring both.
    However, I can assure you those are in fact Harem pants, of the classic-full variety. Gauzy and everything!

Elemental? Picture isn't displaying for me, not even using the url directly as a link.
    There seem to be quite a few similar pants in fact. They seem closest to gauzy sharovary to me. Most people would probably accept harem pants though.

And yeah Elemental, the link/url is borked. Did you mean this one?

EDIT: Very nice as always Sean Mirrsen. Though I would say the tail seems to have a very odd and somewhat tenuous looking connection, which seems out of place at that angle. The mouth/snout is especially well done; the're the hardest thing about ponies to get looking right I think.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-06-05 at 10:59 AM.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

Pants problem solved!
    Spoiler
    Show

Gabriel struck me as the type who would appreciate some nice orangey Harem Pants.

Though that might just be ponythread talking.
    ...Gabe actually looks pretty good like that. I might have to make that his official clothing.

Totally not because it's easier to draw...

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    @Balmas: It's pretty good. The only thing I can suggest is to consider upping the line weight on the rifle, his beak and maybe the cigarette. As it is, it looks really weird what with all the other lines being much thicker.
    And don't worry about the whole pants thing, that'll come to you eventually.

Anyway... Wings. Wings are the worst thing to happen to ponykind since the hay blight of '74. All I can say is that that historical comparison makes no logical sense whatsoever and that I hate drawing them. But yet, they look so cool!
    Spoiler
    Show

What do you people think? I'm worried that his left wing looks deformed when compared to his right.
    If you're worried about his eye being weird, that's because he's a God of Law and he's angry.
    Thanks for the advice!

As for wings... As far as I can tell, the problem is that the far wing looks a bit warped in comparison to the left, like it's rotated too far to the front.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Elemental? Picture isn't displaying for me, not even using the url directly as a link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madcrafter View Post
    And yeah Elemental, the link/url is borked. Did you mean this one?
    Damned links... It's good to know that I'm not the only person it happens to. And yes, I do mean that one.
    http://aetherelemental.deviantart.co...hiel-376049188

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    As for wings... As far as I can tell, the problem is that the far wing looks a bit warped in comparison to the left, like it's rotated too far to the front.
    Hmm... I see what you mean. I'll have to mess around with it and try to fix it.

Edit: Does this look slightly better? The only other way to fix it would be redrawing the far wing entirely, and I'm not really all that good at that.
    Spoiler
    Show

Here's hoping Photobucket works...
    Last edited by Elemental; 2013-06-05 at 10:24 PM.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

4. - Top - End - #244

Day 22:
    Spoiler
    Show
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Edit: Does this look slightly better? The only other way to fix it would be redrawing the far wing entirely, and I'm not really all that good at that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Worse I'd say, makes the wing look too close to his body. You could maybe try rotating the original counter-clockwise a bit, or possibly changing the feathers from being swept forwards to back, like the other wing appears to be. I don't know if that would fix it exactly, but it might help.

----

Day 344:

Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 20 min?
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-06-06 at 12:19 AM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Worse I'd say, makes the wing look too close to his body. You could maybe try rotating the original counter-clockwise a bit, or possibly changing the feathers from being swept forwards to back, like the other wing appears to be. I don't know if that would fix it exactly, but it might help.
    So redraw the wing from scratch? I was kind of hoping to avoid that despite knowing it'd have to be done.
    I hate Pegasi...

Edit: I give up. I'll move onto a different drawing instead.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2013-06-06 at 01:08 AM.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

So redraw the wing from scratch? I was kind of hoping to avoid that despite knowing it'd have to be done.
    I hate Pegasi...
    Personally I think the original looks alright, but maybe I've just been staring at it for too long. The discrepancy is mostly in the feathers, possibly also that the upper and lower surfaces are the same colour.

As for redrawing, you could probably get away with a simple transform.

EDIT: or you can move on, that works too I guess.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-06-06 at 01:12 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally I think the original looks alright, but maybe I've just been staring at it for too long. The discrepancy is mostly in the feathers, possibly also that the upper and lower surfaces are the same colour.

As for redrawing, you could probably get away with a simple transform.

EDIT: or you can move on, that works too I guess.
    Yeah... It didn't look good when I tried to draw both sides the same. It's drawn at an angle that doesn't like me.
    Actually... They're not the same colour. Just almost the same.

And I've tried all the simple transforms I know...

I'll revisit this one if I feel I need to.

Dragons!

9. - Top - End - #249
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    You know you're happy with your art when all you can do is stare and smile goofily.

Spoiler
    Show

Gabriel the griffon merc, and his partner, Maria.

See also: Griffon Freeman.

Now if only I knew how to draw pants...
    Don't worry, you'll be back to wanting to burn the unclean in no time!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Been a while since I posted (or drew >_>) a Pony here, so here you go.

Spoiler
    Show

Gotta have at least some presence in the second Ponydrawthread. -_-
    Wowzers.

There seem to be quite a few similar pants in fact. They seem closest to gauzy sharovary to me. Most people would probably accept harem pants though.
    Harem pants is a broad term, in the same fashion as underwear or blue collar.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

That might be a slight exaggeration there Siuis, but there's certainly a wide range of things you can call harem pants.

Also, on very little prompting, I decided that I needed to draw a pony-protectron.
    So, Ponytron.
    Spoiler
    Show

Kind of good for a quickie.

EDIT - 2 favourites, right off the bat. Huh. That's twice as much as my usual successful uploads, clearly FoE is a bit of a thing.
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2013-06-06 at 01:07 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, on very little prompting, I decided that I needed to draw a pony-protectron.
    So, Ponytron.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Very nice, and less horrifying than Thanqol's. It looks very much like a protectron.

Now you need to try a securitron. Or would they, being less humanoid, be the same in Equestria?
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-06-06 at 02:40 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Eh. Looking at them as a piece of design, and a piece of fallout art, I really just am not down with Securitrons. I think, to be perfectly frank, that they are a barely passable design. They border on terrible. It's just a TV on wheels, with some massive square shoulder pads. It simply doesn't even begin to compare with the visual interest of the Protectron, with it's sleek 50's curves and completely undisguised reference to the most important robot design of the Era, a movie masterpiece that practically had it's own career.

Also, yeah. If you were going to ponify a Securitron, all you'd need to do is put a pony face on it's TV screen and you're away anyway. Which if I had to guess, might be what Thanqol's other two fallout prep images are for. Huh? [/wild guessing]

Of course, the above is all my entirely subjective opinion and your mileage may vary. I'll pass on that. Likewise, most of the other Fallout Robots are non-representational enough to need no translating.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh. Looking at them as a piece of design, and a piece of fallout art, I really just am not down with Securitrons. I think, to be perfectly frank, that they are a barely passable design. They border on terrible. It's just a TV on wheels, with some massive square shoulder pads. It simply doesn't even begin to compare with the visual interest of the Protectron, with it's sleek 50's curves and completely undisguised reference to the most important robot design of the Era, a movie masterpiece that practically had it's own career.

Also, yeah. If you were going to ponify a Securitron, all you'd need to do is put a pony face on it's TV screen and you're away anyway. Which if I had to guess, might be what Thanqol's other two fallout prep images are for. Huh? [/wild guessing]

Of course, the above is all my entirely subjective opinion and your mileage may vary. I'll pass on that. Likewise, most of the other Fallout Robots are non-representational enough to need no translating.
    Yeah, I'll agree with you there. The wastelanders should find a way to harness the magical energy that keeps them upright.
    And I would put my money on Thanqol's things being securitron faces. They definitely look like it.

----

Day 345:

Took a look through the brushes today, experimented by drawing a few trees. I like trees. I feel like I should go watch some episodes of The Joy of Painting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 40 min

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Trees likes you too, Madcrafter.
    Spoiler
    Show

Uh, no really. You may have to take my word on that.

15. - Top - End - #255

Day 23?
    Spoiler
    Show
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

So, Ponytron.
    Spoiler
    Show

Kind of good for a quickie.

EDIT - 2 favourites, right off the bat. Huh. That's twice as much as my usual successful uploads, clearly FoE is a bit of a thing.
    So, I decided it might be interesting to see if I could submit this and my FoE rp character picture there to a group on Deviantart.
    Ponytron there now has more favourites than any two of my previous pictures put together. I'm actually kind of shellshocked.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, I decided it might be interesting to see if I could submit this and my FoE rp character picture there to a group on Deviantart.
    Ponytron there now has more favourites than any two of my previous pictures put together. I'm actually kind of shellshocked.
    Art basing on a well-known and popular universe or franchise, even if it's merely a "current" popular thing, tends to have that effect. Art that is simultaneously well-done magnifies said effect.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

18. - Top - End - #258

So I'm travelling home and don't know when I'll have a scanner. Days 24-32 might come up all at once.

I've acquired some pencils as you suggested, Thanquol, and will try to draw some more involved, careful things.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Art basing on a well-known and popular universe or franchise, even if it's merely a "current" popular thing, tends to have that effect. Art that is simultaneously well-done magnifies said effect.
    But both of those things are as nothing compared with the effect of actually advertising/putting it where anyone is actually likely to see it. Apparrently.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Also probably the fact that as you said, there were no pony protectrons until you made one. Being first has advantages.

----

Days 346-7:

Crude landscape. I'm still terrible at doing natural things and landscapes, so this one could do with lots of improvement. Not enough variety in shade as well as not enough differentiating detail. Too much mixing (which arguably could be applied to any of my works). I did enjoy doing the mountains though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time 1 and 1 hours
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-06-09 at 12:33 AM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

xoxoxoxoxo
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-08-11 at 11:33 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Even still, funny picture, especially SWAG. Though I think TS would be a better fit for Princess Bubblegum perhaps.

----

Day 348:

Traditional PnP. It's weird going back to it after 70 some days. Just some sketches as I get used to holding a pencil again; plant matter, ears and a distinguished shapeshifting gentleman from a Mage book.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 40m

The picture was taken in completely natural light (since the scanner doesn't seem to like pencil), and I tried to do some major colour correction to get it somewhere closer to white. The original was a deep azure. As always, picture quality is pretty bad.

----

Day 340:

Lauren Faust mentioned viking caribou, so I was trying costumes out. Caribou are hard to dress in a human fashion.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 25min
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-06-10 at 10:24 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Orc in the Playground

My first try at drawing ponies in Inkscape. It looks weird, out of proportion. I'll have to fix that next time. Maybe do some more tracing practice.
    Spoiler
    Show

The lines need to be thicker, the head needs to be bigger, smaller nose...
    I'm going to improve eventually.

Edit: Second try:
    Spoiler
    Show

Only the body, but it looks a lot better now.
    Last edited by Matthias2207; 2013-06-11 at 09:04 AM.

My extended collection of avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony Tarquin by Dirtytabs

Killer Klown by Ceika

Stroop by Mr Gone

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

The head being significantly closer to the correct shape helps...a lot.
    A slightly shorter body should get it pretty much there, I think. I mean, fine tuning specifics and examining any of the many pony-proportions guides and so on are a good idea too, but that's the only remaining major thing there, I think.

So, on related news, I decided to try a slightly more active pony-pose.
    So have some Action-Trees.
    Spoiler
    Show

She's not quite best pony, but I like how this turned out a lot.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias2207 View Post
    Edit: Second try:
    Spoiler
    Show

Only the body, but it looks a lot better now.
    Not exactly show accurate, but I quite like the style. Waiting on the hair and eyes now.

So, on related news, I decided to try a slightly more active pony-pose.
    So have some Action-Trees.
    Spoiler
    Show

She's not quite best pony, but I like how this turned out a lot.
    Wow, nice. Nitpicks would be the gun looks really strange (the trigger I get, so she can shoot it with her tongue, but where do the bullets go in?), and the pip-buck is really, really flat. But you got the action pose down, definitely; floating cloth included.

----

Hah, today turned into a two parter, but is shaping up nicely. It'll come out of the oven tomorrow.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-06-11 at 09:57 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

It is a bit of a slimline pipbuck. But then, that kind of makes sense for ponies, I'd have thought. Too awkward otherwise? I don't know. I nearly forgot to draw the thing at all.

I figure the gun is either actually a revolver (which it doesn't quite look like due to the slight flat-ness of what we can see), or has a magazine that sits underneath the barrel/further along from the handle, what with it being a really bulky square gun at the front (hence the bulky square holster).

The floaty cloak poncho thing has the benefit of not entirely covering the armour I designed. It kind of does a bit, and admittedly the shoulder bits also conceal some of the rest of the armour, but I went to the trouble of figuring it out, so it's still a good thing.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Slim maybe, but it looks to me to lack any volume at all, like its a sheet of paper wrapped 'round the leg. Not that that wouldn't be hilarious, but I don't think it was what you were intending.

I have a feeling it might just be due to the blobby way you do your shading, with the roundness of the highlights/outline making it look like a flat object instead of having more defined edges, because of the size of the detailing.
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-06-11 at 11:34 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Orc in the Playground

I did something wrong with the ear and I'm not sure what it is, but the rest of the face turned out quite nice I think.
    Spoiler
    Show

(Also, it's a lot better than my first try. The proportion guide in the OP helped a lot.)

My extended collection of avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony Tarquin by Dirtytabs

Killer Klown by Ceika

Stroop by Mr Gone

29. - Top - End - #269
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias2207 View Post
    I did something wrong with the ear and I'm not sure what it is, but the rest of the face turned out quite nice I think.
    Spoiler
    Show

(Also, it's a lot better than my first try. The proportion guide in the OP helped a lot.)
    The bottom of the ear links into the middle of the eye. Thighs are also thicker at the hip.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Days 350-2:

Or three days. Today was just hair. Anyways, another portrait, this one of Francis Urquhart.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 1.5, 1.5 and 1 hours

EDIT: And now that it's posted I cannot unsee all the mistakes. Arrrrghhhh! The biggest one being that his eyes are way different sizes; I can't believe I didn't see that. Mind you, they could do with a fair bit more work regardless, but still.

----

Day 353:

Cliffs, copy of the background in the melting clocks painting. Quite interesting, especially with all the blue.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 1h?

----

Day 354:

Moria. I really like the roughness of this one, even if not technically sophisticated.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Time: 1.5h
    Last edited by Madcrafter; 2013-06-15 at 03:04 PM.