Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ester: IC

1. - Top - End - #61
    Banned

Default Re: Ester: IC

Alterys nods, and responds.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Very well, we shall leave. But please, answer me this: have any dwarves been here recently save this one?

(You should probably do the diplomacy secretly so I don't know how well I did).

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Reza and Alterys: The kobolds shake their heads and wait for you to go. You return to the surface without difficulty, retracing your steps. Once there, you must decide where to go next in search of information about the underground.

Dagos: A slot in the narrow door about waist height opens and you can feel someone looking you over. When the door opens a halfling woman in simple clothing (pants and blouse) is staring at you. Behind her you see a simple room with a couch facing the front door, on either end flanking the middle cushion are sitting two large halfling men (large by halfling standards). To the right of the couch is another door, closed, and across from it in corner sits a large gray bulldog, head resting on its crossed paws, staring at the couch. She says to you, "Have a seat," not warmly but not coldly either, and the only seat you see is the middle couch cushion. She closes the door behind you and goes through the closed door.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2013-02-13 at 09:23 AM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

Dagos thanks the halfling lady and enters the room, however upon seeing the crowded couch he decides to remain standing next to the door. He just patiently waits there for the woman to return, he did not come here for chit-chat and the two men on the couch don't seem eager to talk either. Dagos just wants to get the package and return to the Tower quickly.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Banned

"Well, that went well. What now?"

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Reza frowns.
    "Well... that place is huge. We could spend days searching down there, even if nobody tried to stop us. And clearly there is somebody... We're going to have to do more legwork. Maybe we can find more information on Ali's last whereabouts. Maybe we can find out more about those Kobolds, and find a way to negotiate with them under less stressful circumstances.
    Perhaps you could consult your... less official... contacts while I visit whatever passes here for a town hall or courthouse to see if there is any trace in the public record..."
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Banned

"Uh, right. Major legal centre and a major crime centre. We have all our bases covered." Alterys smiled. "Sure, I can get the Thieves to start a manhunt. Though they usually want payment, I'm sure I can... do something about that." The dwarf probably didn't know what do something about that meant, but at least the said something wasn't killing anyone. Or even illegal. "Well, how about meeting back here this evening?"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sounds like a plan. I'll meet you here at six o'clock."

Reza turns and begins the long walk to City Hall.

Spoiler
    Show
    He's heading to City Hall to check (or re-check?) if Ali has left any traces in police reports or any other official records. I'm not sure how much of that should happen "off-camera"... unless I meet another PC or important person there.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Banned

Alterys went to the nearest hideout of The Thieves. The Thieves essentially ran several parts of Ester, including as much of the Unter as any one organisation could reasonably be expected to hold. Even then, they had several barricades below ground which were manned constantly, and some of them were almost always locked in fighting.

The Thieves' Path was a long road which was rumoured to get you almost anywhere in the Unter. This cost you, unless you were a Thief or were with one, but it seemed likely that anyone who had entered the Unter would have used it. Even a squad of city guards had used it once, and the Thieves had even granted them free passage - mainly because they were helping them.

In any case, this dwarf would probably be on the registers. Alterys walked into the middle of a less-used street, and picked up one of the larger cobblestones - it was a secret entrance. She jumped in - it was only a few feet deep - and replaced the stone. She started to wark down the torchlit path.

She saw one of the Administrators looking at her. Artan, that was his name. "Ah, Artan. Good to see you again, but I've got business to do, as usual. I don't suppose I could look at the record book?" The record book had a list of all the people who had ever used the Path. The book aquired new pages as the old ones were filled, and whenever something was written in any of the books, it was written in all of them - a source of great annoyance for those trying to write atop one another. Finally, the bookmark on the record book absorbed anything written on it, and then made the book show all the names containing what had been written. If this dwarf had used the Path, she would know.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+8)[17]

9. - Top - End - #69

Dagos: After what seems like an eternity of waiting, the halfling woman finally returns. She hands you a box wrapped in brown paper and twine and sends you on your way.

On your way back you take a shortcut through the alleys and while in a deserted back alleyway you spot a figure leaning against a wall up ahead.

Reza: You head to city hall and hear a commotion coming from the Guard Station. Do you investigate, or continue on to the Records Department?

Alterys: Artan hands you the record book. You find that Ali did indeed use the Path, about three months ago. You recognize the name of the Thief who went with him, Sylvain. He and his brother Nemo are two young halflings who are rising stars within the Thieves. You don't know where either of them can be found, but Artan might know something.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

With the box safely tucked away in his satchel, Dagos is in good spirits. Just a quick trip back to the Tower and this little mission would be accomplished. Noticing the man in the alley Dagos politely nods his head and continues on his way.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

A City Hall clerk directs Reza to the Records Department. One glance at the walls of filing cabinets makes him wince. This could take all day, even if somebody shows up to help me. Maybe I should talk to some actual people first... He retraces his steps, looking for the Guard Station. Maybe instead of finding the report, he could find the policeman that had filed it...

As Reza approaches the station he hears what sounds like a loud argument. What the hell?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Banned

(While I'm at it, can I check which part of the Path Ali used? It would be noted which entrance he used and which part he left in.)

"Thank you. Do you have the assignment records?" The assignment records would tell her which Thieves had been assigned to the defence of which area - if they were so assigned.

Spoiler
    Show
    Post deleted and then re-done to fix roll.

Diplomacy: (1d20+8)[14]

13. - Top - End - #73

Dagos: As you approach the man steps in front of you and blocks your path. "What's in the box?" he says, suddenly reaching for it.

Disarm attempt:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dagos AoO (unarmed): (1d20+0)[19], (1d3-1)[0]
    Thug disarm attempt (unarmed): (1d20+1)[15]
    Dagos disarm attempt (unarmed): (1d20+0)[20]

You swat his hand away and prevent him from grabbing the box. Another man steps up from his hidden position in the alleyway and prevents your escape. Roll Initiative.

Reza: You enter the guard station and see a man in a magnificent breastplate you immediately recognize as dwarven-made in conversation across a high wood counter with a halfling in full armor who seems at the very least annoyed. Two Paladins of St. Cuthbert also stand before the counter, as does a well-dressed woman. Several guards are watching the conversation from behind the counter.

Alterys: You find the assignment records and find Sylvain's assignment, which you copy down onto a piece of parchment. It is deep along the Path but you should be able to find it. Nemo is not currently assigned.

Royal and Lilina: A dwarf enters the guard station.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2013-02-18 at 12:46 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74

Dagos: The first thug draws a club and attempts to strike you with it. (1d20+1)[16], (1d6+1)[7]

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

Bleeding badly Dagos staggers back, trying to get some distance between him and the thugs. He certainly hadn't expected this to happen. Taking another couple of steps back, he quickly grabs a wand from his belt and activates it. The effects are clear as Dagos vanishes instantly.

Spoiler
    Show
    5-foot step away from the thug and using wand of invisibility

16. - Top - End - #76

Dagos: The second thug's swipe hits nothing but air as you disappear, and he is left looking speechlessly at his fellow thug. The first thug swings his club where he last saw you (in the square you 5' stepped to). (1d20+1)[3], (1d6+1)[2] (Miss Chance 51+ (1d100)[75]) He misses.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2013-02-18 at 01:52 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

Dagos is now faced with a choice, fight or flight. Normally he would avoid conflict and certainly delivering his package safely is important, but this blatant assault on his person has angered him and besides, this might not be a random mugging. If they were specifically after the package, Maga Rivana would want to know.

Being invisible he has no fear of the thugs making use of any openings, after all they can not see them. He casts a spell and behind the thugs appears an enormous scorpion easily as big as a man that attacks the one who had hit Dagos. Without waiting for the attacks to complete Dagos walks away to a safe distance to watch what happens.

Spoiler
    Show
    So casting Summon Monster II and walking 30 feet away from combat.

Scorpion:
    Attack 1 (claw): (1d20+4)[7]
    Attack 2 (claw): (1d20+4)[14]
    Attack 3 (sting): (1d20-1)[15]

Damage 1: (1d4+3)[5]
    Damage 2: (1d4+3)[5]
    Damage 3: (1d4+1)[5]

If either claw hits it starts an automatic grapple.
    Claw 1: (1d20+4)[19]
    Claw 2: (1d20+4)[23]

If the stinger hits it injects poison: DC15, damage 1d3 Con (both initial and secondary)

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Reza frowns.
    "Uhhh... Am I interrupting something?"

19. - Top - End - #79
    Banned

Alterys travels down the road in search of Sylvain.

20. - Top - End - #80

Dagos: The scorpion tears the first thug in twain. The second, seeing how quickly his comrade was dispatched, turns tail and runs off down the alleyway. If this was more than random chance, whoever sent those two thugs after you severely underestimated you.

Reza, Lilina, Royal: The well-armored guard says, "Interrupting? No, not at all. I believe we're finished here." He leads the halfling into his office and the watch commander returns to the counter. The two Paladins of St. Cuthbert leave the station, probably to return to the Cathedral.

The watch commander looks at Reza. "Is there something I can help you with?"

Alterys: You begin walking down the road. It will be some time before you reach your destination.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2013-02-23 at 11:09 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Running would not help the man. Dagos knew the scorpion would be much faster than the thug. "Go and finish him.", his disembodied voice tells the scorpion. Not waiting to see the end of this Dagos turns and heads for the Tower, making the most of his invisible time to get there without further incident.

Spoiler
    Show
    The scorpion goes after the thug and since his speed is greater than that of a human he will easily overcome him. Looking at the fate of the first one I'd say there are now two torn up man lying in the alleys, but since Dagos walks away he wouldn't know, so I leave the decision (and rolls if needed) up to you.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Banned

Alterys walks down the Path, and whistles a dry tune.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, actually... I'm looking for some information on a missing person. His name is Ali Anwar... he's a brown Dwarf like me. He came to Ester to explore the Unter... yes, I know that was not a good idea... then he dropped out of sight several months ago. Before I dig into all those records on the other floor and look for a report of some kind, I thought it might be easier to actually find the police officer who filed it..."

Reza gives a description of Ali and explains what he knows about his last confirmed whereabouts. He then brings out his pocketknife and opens the blade. Like the sword, it is made of snowstone.

"Even if nobody actually saw him, items like this might be a clue. He had a number of tools and weapons made from the same stone. So if anything like that were to show up on the streets..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+8)[24]

24. - Top - End - #84
    Bugbear in the Playground

"You're right, we're done here." Lilina was visibly annoyed - not really at not being able to save the halfling, but at how little influence she had in what would otherwise be such a simple situation. No doubt, this 'Oleg' person is of some importance in all of this, but she did her part - helped the halfling as much as she would reasonably have done as an observer to this whole situation. The rest of the burden is not on herself, but on the paladin.

Still, she stormed out of the town hall and into the town square without another word to the guards, completely ignoring the dwarf that had just now appeared within the doors to the place. She didn't really care where she was going at this moment - just...somewhere where she could relieve her stress, and maybe sharpen her mastery of enchantment a bit further so that she wouldn't feel so...helpless the next time something like this happens.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not going to wait for TBK to post anymore. Apologies for the significant delay in all of this.
    Last edited by Felyndiira; 2013-03-03 at 12:21 AM.