New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Legend: Don't go off the Path IC

Sophia moved forward in the group to join the rest in the front, towards the new onlooker. She was going to have to remember to examine the pelts of these wolves and see if she could find anything unusual about them later on, she'd skinned one of the wolves and taken a couple other body parts. And right now there was another matter at hand.

"Indeed, I do wonder why the town guard itself hadn't noticed these wolves getting into such a deep part of town. In any case, who might you two be? I am Sophia Ashwood, but I hold no special title."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

"Wolves?" Jonathan frowned uneasily, resisting the urge to look over his shoulder. Even if there were wolves out there, the town square would probably be safe. Safe from wolves, in any case. He gave the approaching group another suspicious look. His hand played over the grip of his pistol, the gesture more nervous than it was threatening. He met Sophia's question with a nod and a moment's worth of silence as he let his gaze wander over the strange party. Orcs and demons and gnomes, oh my. Still, he'd seen plenty on his travels, and this certainly wasn't the strangest group of... travelers? hungers? he'd come across. And well-armed as they were, they at least appeared benign. He could hardly fault them for going around armed to the teeth. He finally gave them a small, friendly smile. Calculated, of course, but facial expressions no longer came really naturally to him. "I am Jonathan Rain, of Sylvale's Mercenaries. Here on a delivery, no more. What of yourselves?"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Arianna shakes her head a bit, as if to fight off a bit of fatigue, and replies. My name is Arianna, and I'm here pretty much on a lark. I wander a lot.
    LGBTA+itP

4. - Top - End - #34

BardGuy

The priestess suddenly snaps out of her thinking. "Wolves? That's not good." She turns to face the altar, uttering a short prayer, before turning back. "Perhaps we have grown lax with our offerings to Kolara. I can think of few other reasons the wolves could break the barrier, and those reasons fill me with dread."

She stands still for a beat, before continuing. "Rumors exist of a legendary bear in the wilderness outside town. The hunters used to fight with it long ago, failing to kill the beast, but forcing it back into the woods. We've not seen from it sense, but it we do occasionally hear the sounds of its roars. I hate to impose on you, but you seem accomplished at slaying beasts. Perhaps an offering of this monster would appease Kolara?" The priestess stares at you imploringly, waiting for an answer.

5. - Top - End - #35

Sophia had a small smirk and nodded to herself. "Rumors say..." She muttered, with the inner sense that whatever was coming next was indeed fact rather than just a rumor at all. Although Sophia would have to still do her research on those pelts and such to determine what this was about the wolves that made them more unique. "Very well. I don't know about my compatriots, but I at least am willing to assist in making this town safer. What say the rest of you?"

6. - Top - End - #36

"I'll do it for guild rate." The response was curt, businesslike. Jonathan usually preferred to research his assignments before accepting them, but it wasn't like he'd find anything better out here. The choice was between an uncertain assignment out here, to make some more coin before returning to Sylvale, or an unproductive journey back home. Besides, a well-armed team at his back, on the hunt for some animal, was usually better odds than he could get. Not that he quite trusted this rather motely crew; he didn't even know their names. But having to build a bit of trust beforehand was worth having some allies for once. If they did turn out to be the bad sort of gang he could always leg it. He was good at that. He gave the demoness a look, she seemed to be the talkative one. "If we are to work together, may I ask who you are? As a group, I mean. You don't seem to be from around here. What brought you together, what are you in search for?"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Sure, I'll help. Arianna seems to focus on the conversation for a second, before drifting off into her mind.
    LGBTA+itP

8. - Top - End - #38

"I am Sophia, and we've collectively formed as a group in order to, I think it was hunt for stuff and protect the mutual rights of everyone? Or something, I'm not too sure on the specifics of it. But it's definitely better to work together than to work alone." With that motion, Sophia tilted her head slightly. She was slightly surprised her presence didn't cause minor alarm to ring, then again places outside the big cities were less wary of this sort of thing, and also she'd managed to be low key regardless.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Thokk. I'm just here to do a little work. This qualifies I think. Guild rate sounds about right for a bear that big. Might even be a little low.
    A generous interpretation would say that Thokk's constant rechecking of the ammo in his revolver is merely dedicated. Less generously, it borders on an obsessive tick. Taking a moment he casts back through his memories for any mention of the bear.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[17]History
    Chaotic Evil Orc Barbarian as my character of choice since 2002.
    Current Josiah, God of Decay Avatar by Akrim.elf
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Black Blur ™ By kpenguin Full Orc Barbarian By Qwernt

10. - Top - End - #40

Goblin

We would be happy to help, of course. What do you know of this bear?

11. - Top - End - #41

BardGuy

The priestess nods, and says, "We'd be happy to pay you guild rate, possibly more if you can get any exceptional sacrifice materials from the bear. We don't know much about the bear, ourselves, we've never been able to get close to it. We call it Ironhide, and all we know is that it's damn-near impossible to take down."

Thokk's reflection on the past reveals a bit more than what the woman is letting on.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ironhide, or a bear like it, has been in these woods longer than anyone can remember, with reports going back as far as when the town was first founded. Once every couple of generations, Ironhide tries to attack the town, possibly looking for food or who knows what else. The celestial protection spells have prevented the truly massive beast from breaking through the town's walls long enough for guards to pepper it arrows and bullets. While these do cause the beast to retreat, they never seem to wound it, seemingly bouncing off of the creature's hide.

12. - Top - End - #42

Jonathan perked up at this. "Ironhide? That... rings a bell, lemme think." He tapped his chin with a finger, frowning in concentration.

Spoiler
    Show

History check, bear: [roll0]

History check, priestess, for good measure: [roll1]

Edit: Allright, those rolls failed for some reason, so here we go again:

History check, bear: [roll]1d20+13[/roll]

History check, priestess, for good measure: [roll]1d20+13[/roll]

Sorry about the edit, but jones posted right after me, which kinda precluded a double post

Second edit: Oh for the love of. See this post please:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...1#post14779259

Last edited by Gem; 2013-02-25 at 10:31 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

"That isn't exactly the gospel truth. Thing throws itself up against the walls every now and again. Once a generation. Seems like its the same bear too. I hear you got near enough to pepper it with ammo once or twice. Never seemed to get through the skin. I'd argue that any group manages to walk away from a beast like that with its hide deserves a little better than a strong maybe when they talk about compensation. Or on the other hand we could see what happens the next time it throws itself up against walls that ain't there anymore."
    Chaotic Evil Orc Barbarian as my character of choice since 2002.
    Current Josiah, God of Decay Avatar by Akrim.elf
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Black Blur ™ By kpenguin Full Orc Barbarian By Qwernt

14. - Top - End - #44

BardGuy

"Alright, alright, you've got me there." The priestess shrugs. "I guess you all aren't like the typical mercenaries we get in these parts. Double standard guild rates, plus a look at some of the church vaults. We should have some magic items in there that you could use. As before, extra money based on the quality of the hide."

Jonathan's thoughts reveal no new information on the bear, but he does know what Thokk knows. In addition, he has learned a few things of interest about the priestess.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The current head priestess of Kolari village, named Maura, has served almost her entire life, inheriting the role from her sister, who had recieved her role from the two girl's father. The head of the church in Kolari, as in many villages, holds massive sway in local politics, sometimes more so than the mayor. It is the head priest's job to ensure the villages religious protection, and the blessings of that can apply to military and economic spheres easily. Given the difficulty in learning most forms of spellcraft, the Church is also the main source of spellcasters in many towns, and Maura can certainly hold her own when pressed.

Maura leads her aspects of the town well, choosing to use the church power mostly to benefit the townsfolk. She has a lot of responsibility, however, and making the choices she has to make is often difficult. Kolari is not an economic powerhouse, and she often must make do with small amounts of coin to supply the outside needs of the town. Thankfully, her rule up to this point has been rather quiet, and she's not had to make any truly devastating choices.