New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The legend of Korra

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Eh, Amon's motivations were perfectly logical as far as things go.
    It WAS pretty stupid how quickly he started doing a bunch of highly visible bending. I mean, it makes sense that he might resort to bloodbending when backed into a corner by the Avatar, but when she knocks him into the water his first instinct was to pull up a giant cyclone thing.
    I mean come on, he MUST know how to swim. He could have just tread water, then said "Hey, Highly Loyal Army, The Avatar is down to one element that she only figured out how to do like a minute ago, can you restrain her please".
    He was drowning*, he had the fear of death in his body, and thus he panicked and went to instinct which to him was to waterbend not to swim.

When I say he was drowning he was in the water descending rapidly, descending with his mouth open, unconscious in the water for several seconds, before awakening rapidly from his unconscious state, his eyes going big, and suddenly he is above the water. Aka serious drowning and relying on instinct.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Not only that; why on Earth did he bloodbend Korra and Mako? Couldn't he, I don't know, fight them like he fought Lightning Bolt Zolt? Even if he couldn't defeat them, he could definetly last long enough for his troops to arrive. And the Lieutenant did arrive in time to see Amon bloodbend.
    He didn't due this for he was arrogant. When no one was watching he took the easy way out.

Why Evil always defeat Good, for Good is stupid...Why Good always defeats Evil, for Evil is too arrogant and thus it trips...
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    He was drowning*, he had the fear of death in his body, and thus he panicked and went to instinct which to him was to waterbend not to swim.

When I say he was drowning he was in the water descending rapidly, descending with his mouth open, unconscious in the water for several seconds, before awakening rapidly from his unconscious state, his eyes going big, and suddenly he is above the water. Aka serious drowning and relying on instinct.
    Why was his Instinct to perform the biggest, showiest Waterbending possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Because they needed to a simple way to get across what the audience already knew to the rest of Republic City to wrap up the plot.

And because if every character acted like he was Sun-tzu gamer at the gaming table playing to win the campaign and got to take five minutes to plot their turn... well a lot of things would be different.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    When he finds the right girl who's blonde enough.
    Or maybe enough scenes to cut apart.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Finished watching the linked vids regarding LoK: They're pretty good. Here.
    I largely agree with the vids except for some things below. Long, so spoilered.
    But overall I don't see how one can like the linked vids, but say that tumblr blog critique of LoK is wrong/poor. They largely criticize exactly the same failings.

Spoiler
    Show
    Video Episode 1-2, 4:42
    "Uh, Korra, remember the goal here?"
    *Korra flips the gangsters' car 15 feet into the air which causes it to careen into somebody's storefront.*
    "Apparently not."

There, we see Korra do exactly what I said she does: Go overboard with her kung fu without regard for consequences. There are plenty of other examples, most tellingly when she storms into Tarlokk's office in the dead of night. You tell me what she hoped that would accomplish, short of being there to fight him physically. An elected official.

Video Episode 8-9, 4:05
    The blogger complains that Tarlokk is being stupid in enforcing a non-bender curfew.
    "You cannot convince ppl that benders aren't trying to oppress them --try to follow this-- by benders running around and oppressing them! Really! Trust me, it doesn't work!"
    But there is no complaint here... The writers aren't being stupid, Tarlokk isn't being stupid; Tarlokk *WANTS* to oppress non-benders! Tarlokk *WANTS* to establish a permanent have/have-not social caste. In an earlier vid, the blogger argues for the flaws in the Equalist agenda. The blogger acts like Amon's lying, Amon's a villain with ulterior motives spewing false rhetoric. But Tarlokk is the very type of person Amon is rallying against. Yes, in the real world there are tons of people in power *JUST LIKE* Tarlokk!

5:56
    When Korra comes literally crashing into **City Hall** to confront Tarlokk (newsflash, Tarlokk is an elected representative; try this with your mayor and see if you don't get arrested on the spot), Tarlokk turns it back on Korra: "And you don't use force to intimidate ppl? Aren't you doing that with me right now?"
    The blogger passionately lays into Tarlokk about how he "utterly failed [at] doing [his] job." And that's how he justifies Korra using vigilante force to confront Tarlokk.
    WRONG, blogger. You think Tarlokk failed at his job? Says who? YOU?
    So you're saying when a city is in such trouble that even its main sports stadium can be sabotaged by extra-legal entities, it is still wrong to enforce a curfew?
    See, that's the problem with vigilante justice. That's why our cities aren't run by vigilantes. You don't have to like or support the system, but don't pretend you're better than Amon when you take things into your own hands.
    You see the blogger run into this very dilemma in the same video (9:10), when he himself realizes what I just said. What followed was a long rumination on "Avatar-verse is magic, that's why." It's funny how his video juxtaposes an Avatar with Amon; I wonder if that's intentional because it kind of runs counter to what his rumination just said.

9:00
    Blogger says "Isn't Amon the same thing that he opposes (benders) because he uses energy-bending, thus making him a bender?" No. See, according to Amon, he's a non-bender who *learned* energy-bending. *ANYONE* can learn energy bending.
    This ofc, presupposes that Amon told the truth, which he didn't. Because the writers decided he can't.

Video Episode 10-12, 5:50
    Here, the blogger calls bloodbending instead of energybending "a technical difference." No, it's a huge difference. Just one of the things that the show uses to twist a sympathetic antagonist into a villain. It's the difference between light and dark magic.

7:00
    Not to be biased, here the blogger does discuss how Amon can be seen as a positive as well as a negative, and concedes that yes, there may indeed be something rotten in Republic City for Amon to be able to gather such a large following among its own citizens.

Paraphrase: "Your proposed ending is too fast/ too sudden/ too sloppy."
    Well, yes. I was distilling an entire episode idea into one post, and typing it in 5 minutes. You want me to write another WoT?
    Your meter should be "Is the basic idea reconciliable with some polish?" IMO the "Suddenly, Aang" idea is irreconciliable even with the polish it received.
    Endoperez: I gave it as an example of a theory I personally find ridiculous, and this just goes on to prove our opinions on this differ radically. So much, in fact, that I'm not interested in it.
    Then why are you responding?
    I just remembered another relevant example:
    In the Fire Temple, Avatar Roku possessing Aang was able to firebend quite precisely, blasting Zhao + cronies away, leaving chained Katara+Sokka unharmed and burning said chain away...
    Both Roku and Aang aren't just Firebenders. They're Avatars.
    Brother Oni: My wife, mother and mother-in-law disagree with me however, so the children aren't allowed to watch old school Tom and Jerry. New Tom and Jerry isn't worthy of the name.
    QFT.
    Soras: Seems pretty evident the whole thing is pandering to Zutara fans to me. Oh sorry not the first cycle but how about the next one, can't object to that can you?
    Given that in the first episode the creators took the time to troll about Zuko's mom it suddenly makes the whole love triangle make a lot of sense as another way to jerk around the fans expectations.
    Not hard to see why it fell flat either from this point of view. Interacting with your fanbase is one thing, but when the tail starts to wag the dog its generally problematic.
    Don't put the blame on the Zutara ship or the shippers. It's the writers fault that they wrote a poor characterization. I'm a staunch Zutara shipper, and I hated Mako the minute he walked onto the screen, with "PANDER" written clearly across his forehead.
    I ship Zutara not because I think Zuko's pretty. Obviously. I ship it because it's the only gripping romance in a 3-seasons-long story full of forced romances. It's a fact: these 2 writers are from the Lucas School of Romance Writing.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Because they needed to a simple way to get across what the audience already knew to the rest of Republic City to wrap up the plot.

And because if every character acted like he was Sun-tzu gamer at the gaming table playing to win the campaign and got to take five minutes to plot their turn... well a lot of things would be different.
    Generally it's considered poor writing when the best reason given for a character's reaction was "the writer's needed a simple way to wrap up the plot." Now no one wants Amon to be the next Alexander the Great, we want him to be beaten. But the way it was handled turning everyone against him felt sloppy and out of character for the guy who has been pulling one very complex lie for a very long time.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Now no one wants Amon to be the next Alexander the Great, we want him to be beaten. But the way it was handled turning everyone against him felt sloppy and out of character for the guy who has been pulling one very complex lie for a very long time.
    (1) What's wrong with Alexander the Great?
    (2) Do you want him beaten because he's handed the villain card, or do you want him beaten because you disagree with his ideas?
    (3) If you disagree with his ideas, then is it all of his ideas are anathema to you? Or is it just that you don't like the methods he uses? Or is it that you disagree with some aspects of it, but do see he has a point?

It's a world where some ppl are born with rocket launchers for hands, while others are born with flesh and blood hands.

Let's say he didn't come out and form an armed rebellion. Let's say he simply started a school teaching "permanent chi blocking." Is it wrong to teach "permanent chi blocking" as self defense? According to the face Korra made, it sure was.

Why is it ok for one person to have rocket launchers for hands, but wrong if another person learns a way to turn those rocket launchers into hands as a method of self defense?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Alexander the Great was a sociopathic narcissist who murdered anything that got in his way, including his oldest friends for daring to imply he may be wrong for once. He also burned down one of the wealthiest most prominent cities that he was almost going to make his new capital because... he was bored or something. There was a lot wrong with Alexander the Great. He was however an undefeated general, and in the end I don't want the BBEG to be undefeated, this is still escapism.

I want the guy who assaulted numerous civilians, many of them innocent and forced good people to essentially amputate a part of themselves that they've had since they were born to answer for his crimes, yes.

No I do not see teaching someone how to permanently chi-block as wrong any more than it's wrong for a man to run a shooting range (not at all). It is also not relevant because forming a school of self-defense is not what he did. He formed an army and attacked civilians. I would want there to be a spokesperson for the rights of non-benders, but Amon was not it.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

His instinct was to perform the fastest waterbending possible. It just so happens that the fastest option was also very showy, simply because the fastest way to get to the surface is to keep pushing for more speed and force all the way, and that is inherently going to have him - and his propulsion waterjet - still rocketing up when he gets there.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

@ Dienekes:
    (1) Great men are often not good men, if you define good by modern legal code. However, in hindsight the world was better for him having lived and acted. He is not a BBEG in the sense of escapist media.

(2) I agree that Amon assault numerous civilians. So did V (in the movie, I didn't read the comics), and in the movie some ppl died when legally they shouldn't have been dealt that card. But in the end I still rooted for V as a force for change that would change that universe's world for the better. I see Amon the same way. In a world where no one stood up for non-benders... not the ppl in-universe, not the audience, and not the writers... it's good to see one person stand up and do it. Amon was basically performing a similar deconstruction as we see in superhero stuff like Watchmen.
    As for his Endgame villainy and duplicity... I consider there to be 2 types of villains in creative writing. An antagonist whose character propels him to villainy, and an antagonist who is written into villainy to force in a moral dichotomy.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    I'm surprised at the amount of negativity in this thread. Korra might be inferior to the Last Airbender as a whole, but if we compare it to just the first season, I think Korra is actually better. Also, there are some questionable decisions, there's a stupid love triangle with a stupid resolution and the ending was rushed, but at the same time the action is great, the humour is great, the setting is amazing and for a kids' show it can get surprisingly morally complex at times.
    Like what? What moral complexity was there? Any potential moral complexity is neutered by the ending when all of Amon's followers apparently desert him because Amon is revealed as a bender and then all of the points he was making are just kind of forgotten. Legend of Korra more or less tried to disprove Amon via an ad hominem argument.

I really don't agree that Legend of Korra was better than Avatar season one. Avatar season one had problems, but it didn't have as many as Legend of Korra did.

Also, Bolin is awesome.
    Not really. He's basically Sokka minus the the stuff that actually made Sokka more than a comic relief character. It's especially annoying about how him having his heart broken is played for laughs rather than, well, the seriousness it should be. Unless your show is a comedy, having a character who's only there for comic relief is problematic. One of the things I was very impressed about the W.I.T.C.H. cartoon series is that Blunk, the comic relief character, has legitimate plot relevance. Bolin...is just kind of there. Which is the same problem Mako has. They're just kind of there.

I will say Bolin is better than Mako though. Even if Bolin should have been more than just comic relief, he at least did get some laughs. Mako didn't even have that.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I have to agree with what was said prior: If the writers really had doubts that they'd get another season, they should not have done the Equalist story arc. Have an overarching plot that is smaller, say, the pro-bending games being fixed by crime syndicates, for example. Use the additional breathing room to just concentrate on character-building. Such as making Mako less of a despicable wallflower.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Colossus in the Playground

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if season 2 focused more on the side characters. Sure, the show is about the Avatar, but Korra is basically a level 20 badass in everything now, and all she has to do is deal with whatever spirituality issues she has remaining. Since she only came to Republic City to learn airbending, it's very likely that she's going to leave now, especially since a metropolis is probably not the best place to get down and dirty with the spirits of the past.

But where does that leave her friends? Aang's companions travelled with him because they were his teachers (and Sokka), and they all had bending skills Aang never got (healing, metalbending, and lightning redirection). As previously mentioned, the Fire Ferrets are kind of just there. Sure, they helped Korra learn Airbending indirectly, and fought the Equalists together, but now they have their careers to get back to. I really hope they don't have the team disband and join with Korra on her adventures because of the awful love plot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Don't put the blame on the Zutara ship or the shippers. It's the writers fault that they wrote a poor characterization. I'm a staunch Zutara shipper, and I hated Mako the minute he walked onto the screen, with "PANDER" written clearly across his forehead.
    I ship Zutara not because I think Zuko's pretty. Obviously. I ship it because it's the only gripping romance in a 3-seasons-long story full of forced romances. It's a fact: these 2 writers are from the Lucas School of Romance Writing.
    I'm not.

Its the duty of the creators to not do such things. Especially when shipping is involved.

Generally it's considered poor writing when the best reason given for a character's reaction was "the writer's needed a simple way to wrap up the plot." Now no one wants Amon to be the next Alexander the Great, we want him to be beaten. But the way it was handled turning everyone against him felt sloppy and out of character for the guy who has been pulling one very complex lie for a very long time.
    If that's your standard for poor writing you must not like many things.

If villains didn't make mistakes they wouldn't loose. And seriously after being kicked out a damn building into probably pretty cold water after you were this close to your victory, perfect time to get angry and stupid. Especially when you are a delicious hypocrite only using your nominal cause for you own ends.

And Korra is totally not up to beating Brosanker anyways.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

On making Villains non villainy:

This is very hard to pull off. Its easy to say "Well why not make him a hero in his own way?"

The result is NSG (No ****s given). Lets look at the Star wars Prequels:

Two sides, both are *****, fight over mostly politically influenced stuff, whilst a boring creepy sect of monks boss everybody around.

Yay! Just like a real war. The result? NSG. One side NEEDS to be slightly more dickish. One side needs to be a bad guy to make us root for our heroes.

I get not making a villain stupidly evil, so its OK when we slaughter them all (Cause they are evil). A semblance of logic and decent quality must be seen in them (Though pure 100% evil is intersting in its own way LOTR is an example) to make their plights make sense and be interesting.

This story did have a good way around this:

Both sides where ***** and Korra was a hero trying to bring balance.

It was just poorly executed:

Its because it was either one side is in the victory position, or the other side is. If it was portrayed in a more "Freeform brawl" then it would work better. With each side fighting for control over sides of the city.

Amons "No more benders PERIOD" was stupid, but made sense in a twisted "REVOLUTION" Sort of way. People have revolted and tried to get rid off more important things before (Lets get rid of rich people! Thats a genius idea! In fact lets get rid of the idea of richness period!), so its not like Amon was that surprising.

I could see Amon Rallying people against a Bully Avatar, but I don't see Korra giving up her powers.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    This is very hard to pull off. Its easy to say "Well why not make him a hero in his own way?"
    That's the sad thing and that's why some of us are so ticked off: LoK pulled this off spectacularly with their setup. I feel the 2 writers pulled off a stroke of genius with this one, showing that quality you see of them with the best of the ATLA episodes. And ppl gave a **** because it was so well done.

Lets look at the Star wars Prequels: Two sides, both are *****, fight over mostly politically influenced stuff, whilst a boring creepy sect of monks boss everybody around.
    What's *****?
    I think NS was G for the conflict in the Prequels cuz... they suck. Not because "both sides are sympathetic."
    You'll find that when both sides are sympathetic in a story, almost always that's a good thing for it.

I could see Amon Rallying people against a Bully Avatar, but I don't see Korra giving up her powers.
    I'll explain what I meant. Keep in mind that sample ending I wrote was done in 5 mins and condensed to a single non-WoT post.

In any other situation ofc Korra would not volunteer to let Amon take her bending. Why would she? Wouldn't make any sense.

I was trying to build a situation where Korra finally realizes that this is a war of ideas, not a war between good and evil. At the time of their showdown (in my sample ending), Amon has already lost militarily. But look at what has already happened: He had so much support, that he was able to build an army that almost won, out of Republic City citizens themselves. If half the city is fighting the other half, then who is right?

Here's some of the big quotes from V For Vendetta:
    We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world.
    Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

When Korra tried to force Amon to bend, and failed, she realized she just lost the war of ideas, singlehandedly. She had that power to bungle it that hard, because she's the Avatar -- everyone looks at her. This is why Amon didn't kill her in eps.3(?). Now it no longer matters what happens to Amon. Now, rather than die here, the political ideology of "Equalism" will plague her world for the rest of time. Thanks to one Avatar.

What would she accomplish by volunteering to lose bending? First keep in mind the Equalist rebellion has been crushed already; her having bending or not is not going to affect the city's physical peace. What matters now, is what she does politically as the Avatar. Are non-benders going to listen to the words of an Avatar who almost tortured the face of Equalism to death with firebending? Or will she be able to bring reconciliation and balance if she shows that being Avatar is not about being able to shoot stuff out of her hands? Does the Dalai Lama need to shoot stuff out of his hands to make ppl listen to him?

This also completes Korra's character growth, from a girl who abuses her mantles of power because it came so easily, to realizing and accepting that some things cannot be solved with fists. Examples are rife in the season, such as destroying Tenzin's antique training set, that this is exactly what Korra needed to learn. This is what her entire airbending training symbolizes. This, and that being the Avatar is not about being able to shoot stuff from her hands.

I don't want the season to end with a protag who contemplates suicide because she can't shoot fire/water/rocks by pointing. I mean, what does that say about us? Superman was HAPPY when he was voluntarily depowered, because he knew that being a good person, a content person, is not about power.

Korra wasn't sad because she can't do her job as Avatar anymore. No, she hasn't learned a single thing about power vs responsibility. She was sad because she thinks being a non-bender is a life not worth living. And the Deux Ex Machina agreed with her, and flew down from the clouds to give her her mighty powers back. And now she's happy. And gets the (despicable wallflower) guy. Wow, thanks show, I feel so empowered now!
    Last edited by MLai; 2013-02-02 at 06:52 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

What's *****?
    I think NS was G for the conflict in the Prequels cuz... they suck. Not because "both sides are sympathetic."
    You'll find that when both sides are sympathetic in a story, almost always that's a good thing for it.
    No it isn't. I just explained why not. If you can't root for a side, then the impact is lessened.

I'll explain what I meant. Keep in mind that sample ending I wrote was done in 5 mins and condensed to a single non-WoT post.

In any other situation ofc Korra would not volunteer to let Amon take her bending. Why would she? Wouldn't make any sense.

I was trying to build a situation where Korra finally realizes that this is a war of ideas, not a war between good and evil. At the time of their showdown (in my sample ending), Amon has already lost militarily. But look at what has already happened: He had so much support, that he was able to build an army that almost won, out of Republic City citizens themselves. If half the city is fighting the other half, then who is right?

Here's some of the big quotes from V For Vendetta:
    We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world.
    Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

When Korra tried to force Amon to bend, and failed, she realized she just lost the war of ideas, singlehandedly. She had that power to bungle it that hard, because she's the Avatar -- everyone looks at her. This is why Amon didn't kill her in eps.3(?). Now it no longer matters what happens to Amon. Now, rather than die here, the political ideology of "Equalism" will plague her world for the rest of time. Thanks to one Avatar.

What would she accomplish by volunteering to lose bending? First keep in mind the Equalist rebellion has been crushed already; her having bending or not is not going to affect the city's physical peace. What matters now, is what she does politically as the Avatar. Are non-benders going to listen to the words of an Avatar who almost tortured the face of Equalism to death with firebending? Or will she be able to bring reconciliation and balance if she shows that being Avatar is not about being able to shoot stuff out of her hands? Does the Dalai Lama need to shoot stuff out of his hands to make ppl listen to him?

This also completes Korra's character growth, from a girl who abuses her mantles of power because it came so easily, to realizing and accepting that some things cannot be solved with fists. Examples are rife in the season, such as destroying Tenzin's antique training set, that this is exactly what Korra needed to learn. This is what her entire airbending training symbolizes. This, and that being the Avatar is not about being able to shoot stuff from her hands.

I don't want the season to end with a protag who contemplates suicide because she can't shoot fire/water/rocks by pointing. I mean, what does that say about us? Superman was HAPPY when he was voluntarily depowered, because he knew that being a good person, a content person, is not about power.

Korra wasn't sad because she can't do her job as Avatar anymore. No, she hasn't learned a single thing about power vs responsibility. She was sad because she thinks being a non-bender is a life not worth living. And the Deux Ex Machina agreed with her, and flew down from the clouds to give her her mighty powers back. And now she's happy. And gets the (despicable wallflower) guy. Wow, thanks show, I feel so empowered now!
    This is much better. Great PERFECT. I think the only thing you said wrong was tortured. Torture is a harsh thing to have in a kids show. Lets just change that to "Almost killed him".

That works much better, and better then what we actually got.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

I doubt that Korra contemplated suicide. That's only a faninterpretation.

Also, Korra did in the end accept that she wasn't going to be the Avatar anymore when she couldn't bend the three other elements, opening up her last chakra that deals with earthly attachments.

Once she became a fully realized Avatar, she would of course regain her abilities, because her previous incarnation learned the ultimate bending technique that can take away somebody's bending (and therefore also bring it back in a way as exemplified in the ying-yang nature). And as a fully realized Avatar, she has access to all the knowledge of her past lives.

The Avatar is that freaking overpowered.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

He didn't due this for he was arrogant. When no one was watching he took the easy way out.

Why Evil always defeat Good, for Good is stupid...Why Good always defeats Evil, for Evil is too arrogant and thus it trips...
    In other words, the highly intelligent villain was undone by a sudden bout of stupidity, like I already said.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaEmil View Post
    I doubt that Korra contemplated suicide. That's only a faninterpretation.
    No. It was pretty clear with her standing on the cliff that she was contemplating suicide. Really, I'm sure at least nine out of ten people will tell you she did.
    Her reasoning behind it might be different... My first impression was because she didn't want to live without her powers (and in extension didn't feel like "a proper person" without them) This really, really, really, rubbed me the wrong way. Then someone pointed out she wanted to do it because then a new Avatar would be born and she thought the world needed a proper Avatar (who could bend) While not as bad as the first reason I still feel if it was the intent it was poorly displayed (or I'm just stupid) and still it's... hard. Suicide in a kids show is a strong subject and I don't think they should have done it (and I'll stick to: Yes, she did contemplate it)

Once she became a fully realized Avatar, she would of course regain her abilities, because her previous incarnation learned the ultimate bending technique that can take away somebody's bending (and therefore also bring it back in a way as exemplified in the ying-yang nature). And as a fully realized Avatar, she has access to all the knowledge of her past lives.
    The Avatar doesn't automatically gain all powers at... some point. He has to work for them, except when in the Avatar state. Okay, she can (probably) access it by meditating but she's not walking around with the memory of a thousand life times all the while. Nor the bending skills. (Though s/he would have them if they have reached that point anyway)
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

@ Dienekes:
    (1) Great men are often not good men, if you define good by modern legal code. However, in hindsight the world was better for him having lived and acted. He is not a BBEG in the sense of escapist media.

(2) I agree that Amon assault numerous civilians. So did V (in the movie, I didn't read the comics), and in the movie some ppl died when legally they shouldn't have been dealt that card. But in the end I still rooted for V as a force for change that would change that universe's world for the better. I see Amon the same way. In a world where no one stood up for non-benders... not the ppl in-universe, not the audience, and not the writers... it's good to see one person stand up and do it. Amon was basically performing a similar deconstruction as we see in superhero stuff like Watchmen.
    As for his Endgame villainy and duplicity... I consider there to be 2 types of villains in creative writing. An antagonist whose character propels him to villainy, and an antagonist who is written into villainy to force in a moral dichotomy.
    It's a decent movie, but one of my my problems with it is the glorification of V. In the comic they regularly point out that V is an insane, homicidal, manipulative, terrorist whose vision for the future may be just as bad, if not worse, than the fascist government he took down. The movie said, to Hell with that, and made him a near perfect hero, but didn't go through with it. He still commits repulsive actions that make no sense, but no one calls him out on it.

If that's your standard for poor writing you must not like many things.

If villains didn't make mistakes they wouldn't loose. And seriously after being kicked out a damn building into probably pretty cold water after you were this close to your victory, perfect time to get angry and stupid. Especially when you are a delicious hypocrite only using your nominal cause for you own ends.
    It's not that I don't want them to make mistakes, it's that the mistakes they make should be extensions of their character. Amon had that entire season been completely in control, deceptive, and careful. Then in the last episode he throws all that out of the window because the plot needed to wrap up. Hell, that scene could have worked decently well if he didn't use the giant water spout to get out of the water, and started acting and ordering people around like Amon only to the realize that his scars had washed off. They realize that Amon's been lying to them and turn on him. That's a mistake that would make sense for Amon to make.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    No. It was pretty clear with her standing on the cliff that she was contemplating suicide. Really, I'm sure at least nine out of ten people will tell you she did.
    That's because a lot of people are trying to put some sense into the finale. There's no proof for it.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dantiesilva View Post
    Is anyone aware of when the second season is coming out, if they are even making one. I was under the impression that they were and have been really looking forward to it. But am not sure if my hopes are for nothing. Could someone let me know please and thank you, and what the second season is about if they are please and thank you.
    This page summarizes the current rumors pretty well. Apparently two of the cast members tweeted that the show would be returning in April. That's the most reliable info that I've seen.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

It's not that I don't want them to make mistakes, it's that the mistakes they make should be extensions of their character. Amon had that entire season been completely in control, deceptive, and careful. Then in the last episode he throws all that out of the window because the plot needed to wrap up. Hell, that scene could have worked decently well if he didn't use the giant water spout to get out of the water, and started acting and ordering people around like Amon only to the realize that his scars had washed off. They realize that Amon's been lying to them and turn on him. That's a mistake that would make sense for Amon to make.
    Its always how do I wrap up the plot. Never anything else. In every story that is the first and overriding consideration. Particularly in timed mediums where you don't have a finite space. So you need something that can be done quickly and covers everything definitively beyond any doubt.

Now you idea there. Bor-ing. Not dramatic. Certainly not visually interesting either. Seriously Amon is literally now defeated by not having waterproof cosmetics, which has already been complained about in this threat. Heck doubtless many of the objectors would complain instead that how come a liar as good as Amon couldn't make up a story on the spot: the scar was a lie for sympathy but his blessing from the spirits is real. His men are nominally ready to believe him so you need a grand gesture to break his hold.

More importantly, its says nothing about the flaws in his character by rendering his defeat completely at external quirks of fate. Not even the hero's hands. Where's the arrogance and hubris of a man that is such a hypocrite he'll invoke a divine mission to hide using bending against bending. Amon dooming himself is entirely appropriate and every bit the extension of his character.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Its always how do I wrap up the plot. Never anything else. In every story that is the first and overriding consideration. Particularly in timed mediums where you don't have a finite space. So you need something that can be done quickly and covers everything definitively beyond any doubt.

Now you idea there. Bor-ing. Not dramatic. Certainly not visually interesting either. Seriously Amon is literally now defeated by not having waterproof cosmetics, which has already been complained about in this threat. Heck doubtless many of the objectors would complain instead that how come a liar as good as Amon couldn't make up a story on the spot: the scar was a lie for sympathy but his blessing from the spirits is real. His men are nominally ready to believe him so you need a grand gesture to break his hold.

More importantly, its says nothing about the flaws in his character by rendering his defeat completely at external quirks of fate. Not even the hero's hands. Where's the arrogance and hubris of a man that is such a hypocrite he'll invoke a divine mission to hide using bending against bending. Amon dooming himself is entirely appropriate and every bit the extension of his character.
    The overriding concern is wrapping things up sure, but it shouldn't be the only concern. Staying in character and having the ending make sense is just as, if not more important, than the actual wrapping up of the narrative.

Oh I admit that it's not the most dramatic but it would make sense. You see my problem is that you're grouping all forms of arrogance under hubris. Yes Amon was arrogant, but he was controlled. He was endangered numerous times but he did not resort to waterbending, ever. Then suddenly when victory is literally in his hands he does? It's just dumb.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    That's because a lot of people are trying to put some sense into the finale. There's no proof for it.
    Hm... going back to it, while I agree it's not that strong the second time her looking down the cliff and the trailing tear still gives off the impression. Why else would she be at that cliff of all places? Yeah, they didn't put much emphasis on it but... it still feels like it's implied.
    Okay, we could argue further why she didn't seek the comfort of their loved ones but run away to be alone if not because she wanted to do something terrible but I guess that's personal preference.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

You guys are arguing over Bad versus Worse.

Amon is supposed to be some sort of dark-Batman, who grew up harboring an irrepressible hatred for all bending (especially bloodbending) for all of his teenage/adult life.

And yet, as soon as no one can see, he freely uses bloodbending against Team Korra and even his own men. When he has shown multiple times in past fights that he doesn't have to. This is like Batman using guns against criminals when he has his batarang right in his hand.

And you're worried about whether it's in-character for him to waterbend out of a river?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Amon is supposed to be some sort of dark-Batman, who grew up harboring an irrepressible hatred for all bending (especially bloodbending) for all of his teenage/adult life.

And yet, as soon as no one can see, he freely uses bloodbending against Team Korra and even his own men. When he has shown multiple times in past fights that he doesn't have to. This is like Batman using guns against criminals when he has his batarang right in his hand.

And you're worried about whether it's in-character for him to waterbend out of a river?
    The thing was Amon was always bloodbending, in every single fight that occured ever since we saw him fight lighting bolt zolt.

Amon is special not just for his strength of bloodbending, nor his ability to remove bending, but also because he can do bloodbending with almost no movement which his father called psychic bloodbending (using things such as moving his eyeballs or just breathing air from his lungs to provide the movement to bend the elements.)

In every single fight prior Amon was using his bloodbend to subtly control his opponent. Make sure the lighting bolts that Zolt fired didn't hit him. Make sure the vast area of effect ice shards Korra sends at him land a few feet infront of him instead of inside of him.

It wasn't just agility that caused him to avoid all those attacks, it was bloodbending. Not even Azula and her angels can avoid every single elemental attack that was thrown at them.

Since he was always bloodbending it is not suprising
    1) that when he didn't have to put on a show for an audience (his propaganda)
    2) he was fighting two strong opponents, one arguably the most powerful opponent on the planet
    3) he was pissed at them for almost exposing him
    that he stop using subtly and moves on to full domination and control bloodbending for this type of bloodbending leaves nothing to chance.

---------------

One minor thing I wished the show added was Korra asking Amon why is he now bloodbending and Amon uses that moment to do some exposition to the viewer explaining he was always bloodbending. That or the lieutenant asking why, and Amon stating bloodbending made this all possible so shut up Mr Whiskers.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2013-02-02 at 11:15 AM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

If Amon starts using bending as soon as no one can see, then clearly he wasn't meant to be a dark-Batman.

If the creators didn't want him to be a dark-Batman, then why do you think he became one?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

One minor thing I wished the show added was Korra asking Amon why is he now bloodbending and Amon uses that moment to do some exposition to the viewer explaining he was always bloodbending. That or the lieutenant asking why, and Amon stating bloodbending made this all possible so shut up Mr Whiskers.
    Korra and Mako did figure it out by themselves that Amon used subtle bloodbending techniques with his mind to deflect any bender's attack after Tarrlok did reveal the truth about Amon being a powerful bloodbender.