New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: "Small Town" Chapter 1

As an elf I see well by the light of the moon, but perhaps going in the dark would not be as easy for all of us? That thought aside, knowing spells normally makes you more apt to taking long trips since there are many spells that cure fatigue.

Ivellios stops for a moment to examine the flowers.

This area is truly beautiful. I wish I could remember why people didn't come here in the summer.
    What I say should be taken with a grain of salt, as that is the best way to serve madness!
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

It Knows it has been spotted!
    Harrazd can just make out the party's "shadow" if he stares intensely enough, but then no more. The follower stops. It appears to have noticed that the party is no longer moving and that it may be spotted on the road. It then hurls itself into the fields and out of view. Hazzard is left staring into the distance at an empty scene. This valuable information that could benefit the group and save someone's life - his alone.

The sun makes its final decent and all grows dim. A clear night and a full moon lights the path for the naked eye, but only just. Crickets chirp and a field mouse scurries over Murika's foot. To the East the river babbles gently. The air is still a warm spring's kiss on naked skin.

3. - Top - End - #93

"I actually cast an unfortunate amount of spells earlier due to... unfortunate happenings. I rest would be good for me, at least." Ferran says. "However, if no one else feels the same, I'm sure we can press on. I doubt we'll be fighting anything in a place called Butterfly Lane, right?"

...what could possibly go wrong? he thinks
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pock gives a small grimace at hearing all the spells that had been cast.

I suppose time is of the essence, but I would rather have us all at 100 percent, specially if we gonna throw down with a dragon

5. - Top - End - #95

Earlier that Day...

Lightning continues to fall from the sky on the same poor orc whose friends and family will surely miss him. Already badly wounded, the Orc in the clean feels the wrath of Ferran Treestrider's summoned lightning course through him a second time. He limps pathetically towards the trees for cover or escape.

They look like ants to Ferran from up in the sky, astride his flying icy death mount. There! Both Ferran and Silver spot one of the cowardly Orcs setting fire to the branches of the largest oak. The third, who was very badly wounded, seems to have run off. The fourth must still be hiding...

Spoiler
    Show
    No map this round. It is unnecessary. I will make it next round on request though.

The fire was lit last round. It will engulf the tree in the round after next. I am approximating from spell descriptions.

6. - Top - End - #96

"NOOOOOOOO!" Ferran cries.

Dive! he thinks to Silver, and they rush to the ground towards the Orc, even as Ferran blasts him with lightning. As they approach him, they keep an eye out for the other abominations.

"Leave or die!" Silver mentally screams to the Orc that was just blasted with lightning...

Spoiler
    Show
    As Silver nears the Orc (stopping at 30ft up, 5ft over from his head so they don't get hit by the lightning too) setting fire to the tree,

Lightning: (3d6)[14]

Silver Spot: [roll1d20+10[/roll]
    Ferran Spot: [roll1d20+9[/roll]
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot1: (1d20+10)[26]
    Spot2: (1d20+9)[11]
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98

ORC CAN FLY!

The pitiful and profusely bleeding Orc, who had already been struck by lightning twice in a span of less than a minute, and in the same spot (so much for the old saying "lightning never stikes twice") - anyways, he hobbles away slowly and makes a pathetic attempt to bind his wounds with some deer pellets he found on the ground.

As Ferran and his frozen flying pony of death whinny up to the would be pyro to make mind threats, Gork the Orc waits in the tree branches above. Just as Ferran and silver clear the bough and lower to 35 feet Gork attempts to "get the drop on them" by leaping onwards in a glorious tackle. ORC - CAN - FLY!! Gork shouts, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to Ferran. That's just silly. Ferran and Silver each spot the "flying orc" and they attempt to dodge.

Lightning arcs from the sky to the pyro orc, frying every hair on his body. It is obvious that he is near death, but like a nobel, but thoughtless, wild animal he yanks an axe from the tree trunk and lobs it at Ferran.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate (1d20)[13]

Flying Orc (jump 15 feet) (1d20+7)[10]
    Grapple (1d20+7)[17]
    Thrown Rock (If not intimidated) (1d20+7)[26]
    Heal Check to stop bleeding (1d20-1)[6]

Round 9 Map
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-03-03 at 03:53 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

ORC CAN FLY (continued)

The flying orc becomes a falling orc quickly. He is unable to clear the distance and lands flat on his face, dead.

Spoiler
    Show
    At least I'm assuming he's dead. He takes (4d6)[13] damage from a brutal 40 foot fall!

The Orc that threw the axe/rock (apparently I couldn't decide) has more luck. He hits Ferran soundly on the head with the blunt end of the axe and/or rock.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d4+7)[11] and ride DC 5. This will probably be the last round...

As for the Orc that tried to bind his bleeding wound with deer pellets! Well, let us just say that if he survives to see tomorrow he may have bathroom problems.

10. - Top - End - #100

Meanwhile in the future that is also the present

Crickets chirp happily as Ferran, Pock and Ivellios happily discuss their travel plans. There has been a change in the majority opinion. It looks as if they will rest tonight to allow Ferran to recharge his arsenal of Orc-murdering spells.

All the while Harrazd and Murika stare out into empty space, doing and saying nothing. The tall grasses just in front on them rustle. Silently an Orcish Barbarian assassin, who had been following them since the Busby farm celebration, rises out of the field. His massive axe is raised above his head, ready to drop and deal bloody death. The other three notice nothing. They could move... They could stab the assassin in the belly as easily as skewering a chicken. Hell, they could politely ask the Orc Barbarian Assassin not to kill them and he would probably listen. BUT whatever they decide to do, one thing is certain. Inaction will result in the Orc Assassin's lofty Battleaxe - an axe that is IN NO WAY a cheap plot device designed to keep the story moving - falling down upon them and spliting them both open in a cacophony of gore.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

If you are truly short spells then perhaps it would be best if made camp after all. I think I'll set up my tent just off the road here.

Ivellios finds a clear and mostly flat area to activate his travelers cloak on, turning it into a tent.
    What I say should be taken with a grain of salt, as that is the best way to serve madness!
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Firbolg in the Playground

Capin simply stares off into the distance enjoying the view, he could smell the orc from miles away but he remained still. If it was dumb enough to attack him, Capin would deal with it but right now he wanted to simply enjoy the view.
    Blarg...

13. - Top - End - #103

Butterfly Lane
    "Thank you," Ferran says graciously.

Forest

Ferran looks down at the "flying orc." He had it coming... he thinks.

On the other hand, this filthy rock/axe (what was is that hit him exactly?) ought to be dealt with...

Lightning blasts, and Silver swoops in to pummel the defiler with her hooves.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lightning (3d6)[11]
    Silver Attack (1d20+4)[15] and (1d20+4)[15]
    Damage (1d6+1)[7] and (1d6+1)[3] ; Flyby attack to swoop back up to former elevation, unless the Orc is knocked unconscious/killed.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104

forgot ride check, hope it doesn't null that post: (1d20)[1] succeed unless a one
    EDIT: thank you dice gods. I shall remember that.
    Well, actually it'll be the same, it's just I take falling damage.
    Last edited by distant quasar; 2013-03-04 at 03:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105

(4d6)[13] falling damage
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106

And everything in the grove was taken care of...

The carnage was immense. Blood and hair stuck to the bottom of Silver's hooves. The slick of boiled Orc blood infected the forest floor. It was done. Two may have gotten away, but they wouldn't be back any time soon. In a way it was a good thing. They would tell others about the Druid of the grove who gave no quarter and protected this land at all costs. Ferran felt confident that he could leave for the Orc clans without fear of intrusion on this hallowed land.

As Ferran began to head towards Munster Burger, he couldn't quite help feeling that he had forgotten something. What was that delightful ashen maple smell? It was probably nothing.

17. - Top - End - #107

As he heads over to unpack his bags, something occurs to Ferran. That tree...

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" his cry splits the night open...
    Last edited by distant quasar; 2013-03-04 at 03:37 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108

Burning Tree Blues

The ancient and beautiful tree is now fully engulfed by fire. The heat radiates from the blackening trunk. It now threatens to alight its neighbours.

19. - Top - End - #109

Ferran turns back toward the tree. It occurs to him he might not reach it in time. There is only one thing to do he thinks. A gust of icy wind proceeds from his hand back towards the tree.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Boreal Wind

50% chance to put out the fire; (1d100)[61] - 51 or above it's out, lower, not
    EDIT: yay
    that makes up for the one, oh dice gods.
    EDIT2: That's assuming it's not a forest fire yet, since it hasn't engulfed it's neighbors.
    Last edited by distant quasar; 2013-03-04 at 04:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110

Ferran the Fireman

The icy wind extinguishes the once great tree. Now it is over. The mighy oak looks so pitiful, bare and charred. Ferran knows that ash and charcoal make for fertile ground, but it will be a long while until this small patch of the grove achieves its former glory. Alas.

21. - Top - End - #111

STRIKE OF THE ORC BARBARIAN ASSASSIN!!!

It happens so quickly that no one could have possibly seen it coming. In a matter of seconds, the Orc Barbarian Assassin lept out of the fields and brought his ruthless axe down upon poor Harrazd. That silent warrior bravely stood to face his death (or maybe it was stupidity). The blood! Oh the blood and the gore! It...

Spoiler
    Show
    This narration has beed removed by the Dungeon Master in order to meet GITP's strict posting standards. Graphic violence and detailed descriptions of gore are explicitly forbidden. Instead, enjoy this video of Las Vegas headliner, Gallager.

...and viscous chunks the likes of which may never be seen again.

The dreadful killer Orc before you is a fearsome sight to behold. His face is covered in red warrior paint. His axe is imposing looking. Could this be the Red King? Already?

Which one of you pansy pink folk is next???

It looks like you are going to find out! He brings his axe back for another swing, but this time each of you are ready.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative

Murika [roll0]
    Ivellios [roll1]
    Ferran [roll2]
    Pock [roll3]
    Killer Orc [roll4]

Camp is officially off the table.

22. - Top - End - #112

Spoiler
    Show
    That goofed up for some reason. Probably because I previewed it.
    Murika (1d20)[18]
    Ivellios (1d20-5)[6]
    Ferran (1d20+1)[20]
    Pock (1d20+8)[25]
    Killer Orc (1d20+3)[21]

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

At the sight of his dear friends horrific, grisly murder, Pock vomited for the second time that day. His dinner taken care of, rage filled his tiny heart, he screamed NOOO and leapt towards the orc, disappearing in poof of smoke and shadow. A moment later he appeared on the far side of the orc, dagger in hand, a deathly glint in his eye.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stadanrd Action to Shadow Jaunt to O-10, swift action to switch to assassin's stance, move action to draw dagger and... vomit, I suppose

24. - Top - End - #114

Swing!

The Killer Orc launches his second, and third, swing at our shielded hero, Capin Murika. Death in his eyes...

Spoiler
    Show

Full Attack
    (1d20+11)[26] if hit (1d8+6)[9] and (1d6)[3] fire damage
    (1d20+6)[16] if hit (1d8+6)[13] and (1d6)[5] fire damage

Last edited by boldfont; 2013-03-05 at 12:35 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115

Ferran stares at the spot where Harrazd once stood. His dear friend... this, in a way, was worse even than the death of the trees. But this orc would be dealt with as well.

Ferran begins to grow, his form shifting into a brown mass. A few seconds later, the transformation is complete, and where Ferran once stood, a massive grizzly bear stands and roars in its rage, lumbering toward the murderous Orc, standing over the spot where Harrazd fell. It emits a bright white light, to better demonstrate its righteousness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wild shape into brown bear, move to N8. I can just make that with 40ft move speed

wild shape heals me 7 hp, so I'm now at exactly half my normal hp.
    Not good.

activating nimbus of light, since I believe that dazzles orcs, no?
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116

R.I.P. Murika

Murika clutched his throat. The axe cut closer and deeper than expected. Without warning, blood pours out like...

Spoiler
    Show
    This narration has beed removed by the Dungeon Master in order to meet GITP's strict posting standards. Graphic violence and detailed descriptions of gore are explicitly forbidden. Instead, enjoy this art student's meaningful visualization of youthful innocence lost in modern society.

...soaking the flowers growing out of the ground. But the party has no time to mourn the death of yet another comrade. There is no use crying over that which hast already been spilt.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

No... No! Nononono! Stop!

Ivellios pulls out his bow and fires away to try and stop this monstrous orc.

(1d20+6)[8]
    (1d8+1)[4]
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

While Pock shed a single tear at the death of another dear friend, his steely eye's never left his orcish foe. The arrival of Ferran momentarily distracted the orc, as the arrival of a lumbering bear is wont to do. A tendril of shadow wrapped around his dagger as Pock stabbed, aiming for the weak point the orc unwittingly exposed...

Spoiler
    Show
    I think I should be flanking with Ferran, otherwise I shift to the flanking position.

Clinging Shadow Strike

Attack (1d20)[15] + 15 to hit
    Damage: (1d3)[1] + 6 + (1d6)[3] acid + (2d6)[11] sneak attack + (1d6)[3] clinging shadow

Fort save vs 12 or have 20% miss chance on next strike

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

...as the fight continues, a stranger appears around a bend in the road. He is an enormous man, six and half feet tall and 300 pounds or more in weight, with dark brown skin and a striking red beard... He is dressed in traveling clothes of Eastern style and pushing what appears to be a large vendor's cart of some sort ahead of him. Painted in big red letters on each side of the cart is the legend AKBAR'S KEBABS. Two fat orange tabby cats ride on top of it. While the cart looks like it should be quite heavy, the man pushes it along the rutted road as easily as if it were a baby carriage, humming a tune to himself...

He halts as he comes into view of the fighters. He cries out, in a high-pitched, accented voice that sounds quite odd coming from a man that size...

"Oh, what is this bad business? Tell me, sirs, why is there fighting here? Is Cousin Orc being a naughty boy? Oh, our cousins! Always in such trouble!"

He turns back to the cats...

"Laila! Majnun! Inside now, while I see to this..."

Akbar opens a hutch on one side of the cart, and the cats disappear inside. His hands go to his waist, where he wears a carpenter's toolbelt adorned with various cooking utensils... wicked-looking implements that appear to have uses beyond the merely culinary...
    Last edited by Swami Monsoon; 2013-03-06 at 10:01 PM.
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

30. - Top - End - #120

A new hero conincidentally arrives!

(Map)
    Spoiler
    Show

The brilliance emanating from the druid causes the unknown Killer Barbarian Assassin Orc to raise his hand over his eyes and drop his guard. Pock takes advantage of the dazzled orc's distraction. He slips his fine blade between to ribs, piercing a kidney. The orc cries out in pain AAAaaagggghhhh! Which is Orcish for Not my kidney!

In an anticlimatic finish to SWAG's initial assault, Ivellios has great difficulty knocking his arrows. When he does fire, they flop on the groud 10 feet away benignly.

In a furious rage, the Killer Barbarian Assassin Orc does a 180 and lashes out at the source of his pain.

Spoiler
    Show

Full attack against Pock
    Fort Save DC 12 (1d20+6)[22]
    Miss chance (if necessary) (1d100)[93]
    RAGING Attack #1 (if possible) (1d20+13)[31] for (1d8+8)[15] plus (1d6)[6]fire.
    RAGING Attack #2 (if possible) (1d20+8)[19] for (1d8+8)[14] plus (1d6)[5]fire.

Welcome Swami! Get in on this slaughterfest!