New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: "Game Master! Why have you forsaken us?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    I strongly disagree. If, however, you amend your rule to say "Never let a DM you don't trust cutscene you" I'd come along.

I've had the fortune to play in some wonderfully climactic adventures that would have been really diminished had we not willingly trusted the DM and let him monologue/cutscene on occasion. Of course, there were no twin dracoliches involved...

- M
    I don't suppose your DM was the type to shout "Cutscene!" at least twice a session to cordon off parts of the game as non-interactable, then.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I don't suppose your DM was the type to shout "Cutscene!" at least twice a session to cordon off parts of the game as non-interactable, then.
    Note to self start shouting cutscene at players until they stop talking
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpenguin View Post
    My story isn't as long or explosive as some of the other ones here, but it does illustrate my belief that if you want to know if someone will be a good GM, see if they are a good player.
    Well, that's not necessarily true. Some folks are terrible at one but terrific at the other.

And pardon my question, but how exactly was she cheating in your two examples?

The grenade situation was a little cheap of her to do, but wasn't what I'd call cheating per se. I mean, was the grenade taking her out plot significant at all? If it wasn't, I'd personally let it slide but make a point that she needs to say those kind of things before hand next time.

The Harrowed one, well, she was the GM. She may not have had an actual reason for that bit of apparent railroading, but that doesn't mean she didn't and I know I personally don't enjoy folks correcting the GM in the middle of a game.

I don't know either Shadowrun or Deadlands mechanically to any intimate level, so I apologize if there are exact rules that make what she did flat out cheating.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Halfling in the Playground

The problem with the grenade thing was one of mechanics and choice. The point of the grenade was to reinforce that not every pathway is safe and a smart player should be cautious and check for traps like this. By saying "I just hold my breath" after springing the trap, she was trying to avoid the consequences of her actions despite her character knowledge not being enough to allow her to do so. I can see what you're saying, though.

As for the Harrowed story, that was another example of using player information instead of character information. The agent character had no way of knowing that the player character was Harrowed, yet she decided that she did anyway with no justification, which not only compromises the story that is being told but hamstrings his character and forces the party as a whole to follow along this path that they perhaps didn't want to follow. I don't have a problem with this kind of railroading per se, but I have a problem with how it was executed. If he had been acting foolish and flaunting the fact that he was Harrowed, then the agent taking notice and controlling our adventures from there on would be justified in story and the result of poor decisions of the player. Without that, though, all she was doing was punishing a player for doing nothing and dragging us through a plot that we didn't have any real reason to play.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

As for the Harrowed story, that was another example of using player information instead of character information. The agent character had no way of knowing that the player character was Harrowed, yet she decided that she did anyway with no justification, which not only compromises the story that is being told but hamstrings his character and forces the party as a whole to follow along this path that they perhaps didn't want to follow. I don't have a problem with this kind of railroading per se, but I have a problem with how it was executed. If he had been acting foolish and flaunting the fact that he was Harrowed, then the agent taking notice and controlling our adventures from there on would be justified in story and the result of poor decisions of the player. Without that, though, all she was doing was punishing a player for doing nothing and dragging us through a plot that we didn't have any real reason to play.
    I'm not arguing that what she did was right or that she handled it correctly, so let me just clarify that:

Is there a way to determine someone is a Harrowed if they are actively hiding it? A way open to government agents?

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki Tales View Post
    Is there a way to determine someone is a Harrowed if they are actively hiding it? A way open to government agents?
    Well, they're essentially smart zombies. I don't think they bleed when injured, for one thing.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

7. - Top - End - #127

I'll try to explain without spoiling much. Those who plan to play Deadlands and don't already know about Harrowed should look away.

Spoiler
    Show
    In Deadlands, Harrowed are essentially corpses reanimated by demons known as the Manitous. The person still retains full cognitive capacity and their personality; they simply have a passenger who sometimes takes control for a while. As far as how to spot them, Harrowed have a unique wound that will never heal: the wound that caused them to die in the first place. Fortunately, these wounds are typically in places that are covered by normal clothing. Apart from that, the only ways to spot a Harrowed are basic ways to spot a corpse, namely the smell and the fact that the body is cold. But, by not touching anyone and covering the smell with alcohol, it is practically impossible to spot an unwounded Harrowed from a glance. While an agent would be more likely to be aware that Harrowed exist, they are no more likely to spot one than any other person.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

How do animals react to them? What's the tech level? Is there magic or anything similar?

9. - Top - End - #129

There's nothing in the books about animals reacting to them. I'm not sure what you mean about tech level. The harrowed are
    Spoiler
    Show
    possessed
    , so technology doesn't enter the equation at all. If you're talking about the setting, Deadlands is the wild west but with cool steampunk technology, including automatic guns, steam tanks, steam-powered helecopters, etc. Magic is all over the place, though it isn't publicly acknowledged or accepted by anyone except the Indians.

Look, I'm really not interested in arguing about this. This is board to post GM horror stories. I had a story about a GM doing something I didn't like and I posted it. If you don't think its legitimate, that's fine. I'm even willing to argue it to a point. But I'm not interested in laying out every aspect of the setting for you to dissect and determine whether there was any way the agent could have spotted the Harrowed character. Whatever reasons you can come up with, the GM didn't use them. I didn't approve. If you did, then you have every right to, but I'm not interested in having a full blown debate about it here.
    Last edited by atomicpenguin; 2013-04-18 at 09:05 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm not arguing that what she did was right or that she handled it correctly, so let me just clarify that:

There might have been, but by the story she hadn't rolled anything for it, done any legwork in game to find it out, or anything.

The PC was metagaming.

It's like playing a superheroes game, going through great lengths to protect your secret identity, then having another player join in who says "My guy knows your secret identity because he's a mentalist! And I'll use this knowledge in-game to get you to do stuff!"
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

-Snip-
    There's no need to get bent out of shape, I was just trying to understand the context of your additions to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Demiurge View Post

The PC was metagaming.
    She was the Game Master in the Harrowed example. Her automatically determining the player was a Harrowed and then having the party dragged around by the Agent on that premise was the submitted GM Horror story.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Firbolg in the Playground

There's no need to get bent out of shape, I was just trying to understand the context of your additions to the thread.

She was the Game Master in the Harrowed example. Her automatically determining the player was a Harrowed and then having the party dragged around by the Agent on that premise was the submitted GM Horror story.
    Ah, I misread that. My bad.
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!

13. - Top - End - #133

Sorry. I missed the comment earlier about not questioning the story and thought you were just derailing the thread. My bad.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry. I missed the comment earlier about not questioning the story and thought you were just derailing the thread. My bad.
    Just a simple misunderstanding. No harm, no foul.