1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Default Draconic Prophesy [Group A]

Information about the victims, in chronological order of death:

Soranda d’Medani:

Spoiler
    Show
    The first of the assassination victims, Soranda was the wife of House Medani patriarch Treblin d’Medani. Soranda was killed in her manor in Sharn. Reports that are available indicate that she was found with he throat slit and burn marks covering her body, despite a lack of substantial flame damage to the surrounding area or a nearby fireplace. Near her body was found a note that read, “Didn’t see this one coming.” While the death of one of the most prominent members of the house with the mark of detection shocked Khorvaire, it did nothing to prepare the dragonmarked houses for what happened next.

Eraina d’Deneith

Spoiler
    Show
    Three days after the death of Soranda d’Medani, Eraina d’Deneith was killed during a trip to Flamekeep. Unlike the Soranda murder, Eraina’s death did not occur during the night, but rather while she was taking a walk through gardens near the Cathedral of the Silver Flame. There were similar marks on her body as there were on Soranda’s, as well as another note, which read simply, “You couldn’t even protect yourself.” The murderer had still not been found at this point, and as news of Eraina’s death spread, the other Houses became more worried and cautious about being the next targets and began independent investigations of their own. It is at this time that your respective houses began to contact you.

Ashaya d’Lyrandar and Jorlanna d’Cannith

Spoiler
    Show
    The deaths of Ashaya and Jorlanna happened within a day of each other, Ashaya’s yesterday morning and Jorlanna later that night. Both bore similar marks to the first two victims, although Jorlanna’s body had no flame-related marks. Ashaya was killed in her office in the House Lyrandar airship docking tower in Chalice center. The killer then apparently descended the tower and proceeded to the manor of House Cannith West to dispatch Jorlanna. There were mysterious notes next to both bodies. Ashaya’s said, “There is a storm coming, one that you can’t control,” while the one adjacent to Jorlanna’s body read, “Meet your maker, you false heirs.”

You currently stand at the scene of Jorlanna’s death, having gained access through your houses contacting the remaining leadership of House Cannith West. A steward leads you and three strangers into the room with a somber look on his face, looking at the floor as you round the corner that brings Jorlanna’s corpse into view. “Have at it,” he says in a meek voice, “I’ll be right outside if you need anything.”

You stand in Jorlanna’s bedroom, which is eerily tidy in contrast to the bloody corpse upon the ground. It’s a rather large room with few outstanding features. Another man, clearly a member of the Fairhaven city watch, turns to you and says, “I hope you have better luck with this than we do. To tell you the truth, we don’t know much about whoever did this, but I have my men following up on what few leads we do have. If you need anything, I’m in charge of this investigation.”

Everyone: You are free to act.
    Last edited by FlamingKobold; 2013-02-08 at 03:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Draconic Prophesy [Group A]

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingKobold View Post
    You stand in Jorlanna’s bedroom, which is eerily tidy in contrast to the bloody corpse upon the ground. It’s a rather large room with few outstanding features. Another man, clearly a member of the Flamekeep city watch, turns to you and says, “I hope you have better luck with this than we do. To tell you the truth, we don’t know much about whoever did this, but I have my men following up on what few leads we do have. If you need anything, I’m in charge of this investigation.”
    "Very well, thank you for your cooperation in this." Francis says in his reserved manner. He steps closer to the body and kneels down beside the body, his vision fixed on the wound. His time protecting the border of Karnath has allowed him to see a fair amount of wounds but this one was differnt then a battlefield wound but could not place exactly why. "So this is the only body that was not burnt?" Francis asks absent mindedly to all the others in the room as he continues to check the body.
    "To live is to dream; to die is to awaken"
    - La Bamba

“Believe in the ideal, not the idol.”

"Those who flow through life, as life flows, feel no wear... feel no tear... need no mending... no repair."
    -Laotzu

-Compassion: Much less effective on soul eating monsters.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

"While crime-scene investigation may not by my thing," Darrshan Dancing-cloud says, "I am used to delusional megalomaniacs, crazy prohpesies, and cultists. From the notes, particularly the "False Heirs" one, I think we're dealing with an Aberrant Dragonmark here. Any chance he could have used its power to smoke the first three victims? Whoever it is, they sound like they have a real chip against the Dragonmarked houses. Where's her Dragonmark""

As he speaks, he'd crouch down by the body with a pen and paper, to sketch out the victim's Dragonmark - The shape's probably meaningless, but the well-intentioned cat-man wouldn't pass up on a potential clue. If the party had a chance to see the other victims, he'd have sketches of their dragonmarks as well.
    Last edited by Scow2; 2013-02-04 at 11:31 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Kobold

"My only desire is to get this whole mess figured out as quickly as possible," the watchman says, "It's I should thank you for any help you can provide. I can't verify that, as I only know as much as you do about the murders that have occurred outside of Fairhaven, but I do know that Ashaya's body certainly showed signs of severe burn damage. Some sort of magic probably makes the most sense in those cases," he adds, nodding to Darrshan, "but we know not whether it came from a dragonmark or normal arcane means."

Darrshan finds Jorlanna's mark of making on her left shoulder, and it seems that the deepest wound runs straight through the center, leaving the mark itself caked in blood.

Francis:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I rolled an autopsy check for you. As Darrshan pulls back one side of Jorlanna's shirt to reveal the dragonmark, it seems apparent to you that the wound in the center of the mark was the killing blow. Furthermore, at least some of the other cuts on her body seem to have been added after her death.
    Last edited by FlamingKobold; 2013-02-08 at 03:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Krin twitches a little at the comment by Darrshan, "Aberrant Marks", "False Heirs"; he subconsciousnessly shifts his cloak around to mask his left shoulder.
    "These murders, there as high profile as it can be. The only similarity in all of them is the notes. The burn marks are common on three of them, this one is the outstanding one, the lack of burns and timing makes me think that there is more than one assailant. The methods are either that of an extremely high profile assassin, one who is better than anything I've ever heard of, doing theatrically high profile acts: or there is more than one assailant. I don't think there is one person who could have been inconspicuous in all of these spots.

Let me see the handwriting of the note, I want to see if it makes a match with the others. "

(Forgery skill should apply here Check +5)

6. - Top - End - #6

Kobold

The watchman nods at Krin and says in agreement, "Yes, I've never seen anything of this sort before - if there's only one person who's behind all of this, they have to be good, especially given how far away each instance has been from the last. Either there's a skilled killer with an extensive plan or a large network of high quality assassins, and neither of those sound like especially good outcomes."

Krin
    Spoiler
    Show
    You note the intricacies of the handwriting so that you can check for a match if you find another message

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

"Well... I'm not one to dismiss the ability of a single motivated individual... but were there other notes? We'll need to compare them," Darrshan said. "I suspect this one may not have been burned because the assailant lacked the ability to burn them, but wanted to get this out of the way anyway. How do Dragonmarks work, anyway?"
    Last edited by Scow2; 2013-02-04 at 05:31 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The Swami feels a stirring of dread as he stands over the body.
    My job is to watch, to observe... not to kick in doors. But now they've called me away from my post to be the public face of the House in this fiasco. It looks like I'm the stick Intelligence is using to poke at the hornet's nest... and the convenient thing about a nice, long stick is that when the hornets get too angry, you can just drop it and run away...

"It could have been two people, or one person in a big hurry," he said out loud. "No burns here, so at this scene he didn't get to finish. He may have been rushed and not so careful on the way out, so somebody in the area may have seen him... or her, or it. But this kind of pattern suggests somebody sending a message or acting out a fantasy. A terrorist or a serial killer... and those are usually hobbies for naughty boys.."

Spoiler
    Show
    Checks:
    Healing +4 (to check body/injuries)
    Spellcraft +12 (for evidence of magic)
    Search +6 (to examine area)
    Last edited by Swami Monsoon; 2013-02-04 at 05:51 PM.
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

9. - Top - End - #9

RedWizardGuy

Krin looks around the room, the Cat was right about one thing, if this was a dragonmark it would have to be one of Khyber's. Only a few Magewrights could do this, and unless the most powerful Lamplighter the world has ever seen has gone on a killing spree, it was impossible to ignore the Aberrant influence. But there's something else at play here, a dark personal twist on Khyber's agenda.

"They're all women."

This person's after women, that makes finding his next target easier. At least cuts the targets in half. He's moving around a lot, moving as fast as possible as far as possible. If he's not here to stay he's going to move on quickly if I can't find him. There's no way he will try to leave through the way he came in, the Lyrandar port. That means he's likely to leave through the Lightrail.

Spoiler
    Show
    After this meeting Krin is going to start putting feelers out for any guards of prominent females of the remaining eight houses. A Gather Information +15 check. He has a gut feeling the most likely target is a female of House Orion next. He's also personally going to hire 5 White Blades(6SP a day each, 2nd level Fighters) to watch the comings and goings of the Lightrail station, see if any prominent House members arrive or if anyone suspiscious tries to leave on the rails.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darkadvice View Post
    "They're all women."
    Francis mulls the statement over a little still trying to think of how the wound could play into the murder scheme. "A very interesting point. Also it seems that the only wound that matters is the one that is directly in the center of her mark, everything else was added afterwards. Might be that she was never meant to be burnt in the first place." Francis gets up from where he was kneeling and takes a quick moment to look around. "Do we have a murder weapon?" Francs asks to everyone as he ponders over why the specifity of the wound
    - La Bamba

"Those who flow through life, as life flows, feel no wear... feel no tear... need no mending... no repair."
    -Laotzu

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darkadvice View Post
    "They're all women."
    Swami Monsoon:

"My first thought is that this is political, but that fact might suggest a sadist. Ordinary serial killers usually go through a progression... harming animals first before they start on people. If on the off chance we have a noble serial killer, I wonder if he might have practiced on something else before starting in on "real" people. It might be worth checking the police records to see if any ordinary people have been murdered in a similar way in the last year or so..."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

"The notes, priority, and method of execution point to more than just political. This is crazy cultist-type work," Darrshan replies to Swami. "NOT some mere sadist."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scow2 View Post
    "The notes, priority, and method of execution point to more than just political. This is crazy cultist-type work," Darrshan replies to Swami. "NOT some mere sadist."
    "I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss options or to start analyzing the motives of the killer. We were sent to solve the murders and throwing theories around isn't going to speed that along." Francis states in a measured tone, "I suggest we start moving out a bit. I think it might be useful to try to get information from those in the houses that have had the murders commited, see if there is any information that they are wiliing to divulge on the matter." Francis waits for a response from the group in front of him, he knows that they have the ability to succeed in this but they just need to focus on the task at hand.
    - La Bamba

-Laotzu

14. - Top - End - #14

Kobold

"If you need any help getting anywhere, or you need any information just say the word. When I'm with you you have the Flamekeep Watch on your side," the watchman says.Looking to Francis he adds, "Well, it's clearly some sort of blade, from the look of it probably larger than a dagger."

Swami:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You determine that the blow through her shoulder was the killing blow, do not see any apparent signs of magic, and find nothing of note in the surrounding area.

Krin
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll tell you results of the Gather Info check after the meeting

15. - Top - End - #15

RedWizardGuy

"Francis is right, let's get a move-on, with two dead in a day by breakfast tomorrow we might have another. I'll handle the streets, even killers need a nights rest and a meal."

With this Krin leaves the room not waiting for anyone else to say anything, he was not waiting for this person to get onto the light rail station he could see from Jorlanna's Window here while people muddled around with detect magic trinkets, and gathering the resources for a speak with the dead spell. That type of investigation was going to be done by every house, it took time and the killer was using that to their advantage.
    Trusting his gut on where a son of Khyber might go; he starts gathering information at local bars, inns, and bards on any new arrivals to town, people traveling by themselves without much more than the clothes on their back, and only asking to stay a night or two. With any luck, for him or the Killer, Krin would find him first before the Flamekeep got their hands on him.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

"If you need any help getting anywhere, or you need any information just say the word. When I'm with you you have the Flamekeep Watch on your side," the watchman says.Looking to Francis he adds, "Well, it's clearly some sort of blade, from the look of it probably larger than a dagger."
    Swami Monsoon:

"There are two things I'm immediately interested in. First is a thorough canvass of this area. It appears the killer was pressed for time here and may have been careless on the way in or out. The second thing is a check of your records... or those of related enforcement agencies... for similar crimes recently committed against more anonymous victims. Whether it was a madman or a cultist, he may have practiced at his craft before stepping up to bigger tasks."

Spoiler
    Show

These are the activities I'd like to coordinate in my "off-camera" time.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Francis seeing that people seem to be far more active then before he decides to head out to the other murder scenes. "Darrshan, would like you to come with me because I am going to check in with House Lyrandar and also look into the murder site there. If you wish to stay here that is fine but I am going to see into their thoughts on the matter." Francis says more then asks, he would very much perfer him to come with him but knows that there are is still valuable information to be handled here.
    - La Bamba

-Laotzu

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

The cat-man nods at the suggestion. "Aye. I can't really do much here but jump to conclusions and make baseless accusations against The Lobster, Lords of Dust, Dragon Cultists, Extraplanar creatures, and other stuff that probably doesn't really come up in urban homicide cases,"

Of course, Darrshan figured he wouldn't be much use talking to House Lyrandar, either - but he wouldn't really be able to offer any insight into the investigation than his own opinions until stuff started becoming more concrete.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Swami Monsoon:

"I can help you with the Lyrandar interviews. I'm something of a familiar face, if not a tremendously influential one. Hopefully our friends in the Watch can get started on some of the basic information gathering..."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swami Monsoon View Post
    Swami Monsoon:

"I can help you with the Lyrandar interviews. I'm something of a familiar face, if not a tremendously influential one. Hopefully our friends in the Watch can get started on some of the basic information gathering..."
    "Alright, I'll take you along." Francis says with a quick gesture to the door and then looks over at Darrshan, "Darrshan, work on putting some of the piece together on the different cases. Look for similarities, differences, patterns, anything you can find and when you have something worth telling report to back to me or the watch. They will be able to get the message to us if need be." and with that Francis turns to walk out of the room.
    - La Bamba

-Laotzu

21. - Top - End - #21

Kobold

Turning to Swami, the watchman says, "My men are in the process of doing so as we speak, and have been since the murder was first reported. So far they've gathered little useful information, but if you'd like to accompany me to the Watch headquarters tonight you can peruse our crime records as well as meet with those in charge of the searches. However," he adds, furrowing his brow, "if I recall correctly our last unsolved murder case was more than a month ago, maybe two, even. How recent are you thinking?"

The watchman then brings Darrshan, Francis and Swami over to Fairhaven Chalice center, which allows you to get past the security that is blocking off the crime scene from the public. Ashaya's office was on the second highest floor of the docking tower with a large window overlooking the Chalice Center marketplace. Fairhaven Station is easily visible across the sea of vendors.

Sitting in the room with his head in his hands is a middle aged and tired looking half elf. As you walk in he looks up and says, "My name is Erix Nailo d'Lyrandar, towermaster. And you are?"

Swami
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll provide the information when/if you go to the Watch headquarters.

Krin
    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking into account his gut feeling that a member of House Orien may be the next target, Krin begins in bars and inns near Fairhaven Station, the center of Orien power in Fairhaven, and moves outwards. Of the five inns and taverns in Chalice Center, the two nearest to the station (the Blazing Stallion and Fairhaven Inn), have had all of their rooms filled weeks in advance. Even talking to those drinking on the first level yields little useful information in that Krin discovers the vast majority of people present are rather wealthy and regulars at the inns.

The next inn he looks into is substantially less exquisite, about halfway across Chalice Center from Fairhaven station. Called "The Weary Traveller," it's business model seems to focus on catering to those not in Fairhaven for long, making one or two night stays the norms. Because of this, few patrons notice when another new face arrives or when they come and go. The owner, a rather heavyset human named Ragath, refuses to release any information about the identities of his clientele, and orders Krin to leave the premises once it becomes apparent he isn't looking for a place to stay.

Further down the way is Mel's Tavern, which is closed at the moment.

Finally at the opposite end of Chalice Center from Fairhaven station is the Horizons Tavern, a Lyrandar-owned establishment at the base of Lyrandar tower. Krin enters during the middle of a harp performance by a beautiful elven woman. The owner and manager of the establishment is Weren d'Lyrandar who is standing behind the counter, staring longingly at the harpist when Krin enters. Weren is a very carefree man and happily provides Krin with a list of recent unannounced visitors. Only two names are on the list: Wallen d'Tarkanan (arrived the night before the murders and stayed only one night) and Daen Martel, a farmer from another part of Aundair who stayed in Fairhaven one night, arriving the day of the murders.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the end of your first gather information check and took 3 hours. Avalier, a tavern district, is the nearest location that would have other inns. It is near Chalice Center but on the opposite side of the district from Cannith manor.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am Swami Monsoon of the Windwrights' Guild. I have been assigned to investigate the murders and any threats to the Guild and House Lyrandar as a whole. I am working as part of a team of investigators, including these gentlemen here, representing some of the other parties involved. If these crimes are part of a political agenda, then they are a threat not just to Lyrandar or the other Houses but to the safety and welfare of everyone who lives here. "

23. - Top - End - #23

Kobold

Erix briefly glances sidelong at Swami, saying, "Well best of luck to you because our preliminary investigations aren't going too well. Hell, one of Ashaya's assistants hasn't even been in since the murder to help out due to sickness - that should tell you about all you need to know about how far we are with this." He looks disgruntled about the lack of progress, adding, "This is giving Lyrandar a bad name, and Sithov is making sure it's getting as much publicity as possible, of course... The faster you can solve the better."

24. - Top - End - #24

RedWizardGuy

Seeing the name Tarknanen on paper instantly clicks in Krin's head. The ancient name of the War of the Mark, taken up by his brothers without blood. To be using it again was something only rumored in the bar room stories, of assassins and madmen in the dark cogs of Sharn, no living family would still bear that name. No fool would make a jest like that. How to find out more?

"Weren, I've been wanting to wanting to play a trick on my old friend for a while, he used to pay a magewrite to cast an alarm spell to screech like an owl from the pits of Xoriath when the sun touched the window. I'd like to pay him back. I'll make you a deal, that pretty Elf girl over there? I'll get you a date with her, and you let me into Wallen's room to set up a prank of my own."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy check, and if we want to move things along for the next role it will be a Charm Person spell activated by my Aberrant Dragonmark on her in conversation the next conversation.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Erix briefly glances sidelong at Swami, saying, "Well best of luck to you because our preliminary investigations aren't going too well. Hell, one of Ashaya's assistants hasn't even been in since the murder to help out due to sickness - that should tell you about all you need to know about how far we are with this." He looks disgruntled about the lack of progress, adding, "This is giving Lyrandar a bad name, and Sithov is making sure it's getting as much publicity as possible, of course... The faster you can solve the better."
    Francis waited for a while to let the others speak to the man before getting down to business. "Well the more information that you make available to use will defitntely speed up the process, so anything that you think of worth making known about the murder of Ashaya the better." Francis pauses for a moment to assess the man, "So how much do you now about the death of Ashaya and her actions prior to her death." Francis asks with his eyes set on the man.
    - La Bamba

-Laotzu

26. - Top - End - #26

Kobold

Krin:

Spoiler
    Show
    Weren chuckles and flashes a toothy grin, saying, "Well lad, I'd certainly take you up on that if Lyza and me weren't already together," as he gestures at the harpist to inform Krin of whom he was speaking. "But I do appreciate a good practical joke and it was a kind gesture, so I think I can help ye out. Third door on the left upstairs, should be unlocked as no one's staying there tonight. You just better be sure to get him back good, and try not to burn the place to the ground," he concludes with a wink.

Everyone Else
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nailo shrugs and says, "To be honest Ashaya and I were never very close - she did her thing and I mine. I mostly dealt with the day-to-day organization of the Tower, while she was far more gifted at looking at airship and route design. I didn't even know she was coming here at all this month until the news of her death arrived. Very few people did, in fact.. Now that I think about it I don't know anyone who knew her travel plans besides some higher-ups back in Stormhome and presumably Lian, her airship design assistant. Actually he's the assistant who hasn't come in for questioning..." He trails off as he says this and then shakes his head, "I know what you're thinking but there's not way that Lian's the one who did this, Ashaya gave him everything, he would never have done this to her."

27. - Top - End - #27

RedWizardGuy

You're only made a fool if it doesn't work to your advantage, Krin thinks to himself.
    "Thank you were much, fairest catch in the world that one." Leaves a tip of a 5 silver on the table.

Now let's see the dragon cub's den.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot+0 and search+3 checks of the Room
    Last edited by Darkadvice; 2013-02-13 at 10:42 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Swami Monsoon frowns.

"If Lian truly has nothing to hide, then he didn't come in because somebody stopped him. He may very well be a victim himself. What do we know about his recent movements? Has anyone checked his home or workplace?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swami Monsoon View Post
    Swami Monsoon frowns.

"If Lian truly has nothing to hide, then he didn't come in because somebody stopped him. He may very well be a victim himself. What do we know about his recent movements? Has anyone checked his home or workplace?"
    "Good point, I will do a house call." Francis states given a moment of contemplation towards what Nailo said, "You two stay here. Swami since your a familiar face then you can try to talk to people of interest and get an idea of what happened here and any links to the other murder scene. Darrshan if you can get a hold of some of the documentation of the House Lyrandar and get an idea about the recent movements of Ashaya or any oddities that show up." Francis takes a moment and looks back to Nailo "Where does Lian live?"
    - La Bamba

-Laotzu

30. - Top - End - #30

Kobold

Krin
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is an average room, although slightly on the smaller side. There is a bed, dresser and an open window. The room seems to be rather messy - bed unmade and drawers pulled out. However, you find nothing of note in the room.

Everyone Else
    [spoiler]"Haven't seen him since the day before the murder. We've just received messages that he's been quite sick - standard fare, the boy's been in poor health for quite some time now, even the Jorasco healers can't seem to fix him." Erix then thinks for a moment before answering Francis with, "He lives down in Cestman circle, here, I'll get the address for you." As he finishes he pulls a small pad of paper out his pocket and flips through it before pulling out a pages, writing the address on it, and handing it to Francis."Shouldn't be more than a few minutes walk away."