New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Dreams of Power

1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dreams of Power

Avacyn
    HP: 1 Condition:

I have one more trick I'd like to try now that you mentioned body armor. the angelic woman says. With your permission, I'll put a warding on you, a tiny spark of the light of Creation that will shape itself into a shield when you are attacked. Normally, I'd be able to provide a shield stronger than tank armor on everyone on the team but with the energy I need to maintain my Sight, it will only have the resilience of a sheet of plexiglass.
    She smiles for a moment.
    So I won't make it stop physical attacks at all. You or anybody else could shoot or punch through it and it will be a barely visible halo of intangible light to anything normal. But someone tries to mind-control you or steal your life and you'll be sitting behind that opaque sheet of plexiglass just long enough for it to take the blow instead of you. And since it has neither a mind to affect nor life to steal, our necromancer quarry and his minions might find it an unpleasant surprise.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Robert

Looking at the Angel ... thing, Robert nods enthusiastically.

"That would be swell, but just in case..."

His words hang in the air as he concentrates, looking rather silly as he does so. What happens next however is less silly as first a harness with a very high tech looking chestpiece appears and then, after another few seconds, is joined by an equally advanced looking rifle-analogue.

Not even attempting to explain, he quickly straps on the harness and grabs the rifle.

"There, that should help somewhat."

Approximations:
    The Gun:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Deflector:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Re'ozul; 2013-07-21 at 03:00 PM.
    My first foray into homebrew: The Circuit Mage

. /l 、
    ° (゚、 。 7
    .  l、゙~ヽ
      じ しf_, )ノ

Pudgy kitty needs more views

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bonehoarder - Necromantic Skeleton Shapeshifter
    Tahrven Millos - Arcane Hierophant
    Hordemaster Kordan - Ebon Initiate ... mostly
    Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Rooshkdor - Arrow Demon Archer
    Galen Medon - Batman?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Agent Goro

Agent Goro’s eyebrow rises as he witness’s Robert’s display of power.
    “That’s handy” he says, almost to himself.

Well then", he says, adjusting his tie "Are we ready to go?”.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Robert

"I am, as far as I can for now."

. /l 、
    ° (゚、 。 7
    .  l、゙~ヽ
      じ しf_, )ノ

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Galen Medon - Batman?

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Evil-Smasher

"Justice is always ready!"
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

Kyton: NoS (M&M3e) IC
    Argent: The B-Team IC

Former Characters

Butterball avatar by Rayne

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Avacyn

The angelic woman touches every member of the team twice at the forehead - herself included - and nods.
    I'm ready. Just remember; I can't do much to help in the fight unless I stop using my Sight.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Aegis

"We are as ready, as we would ever be from the looks of it".
    Aegis let out a rumbling hiss when Avacyn did her 'blessing' but otherwise dint comment on that part.
    Last edited by Orbiter; 2013-07-22 at 10:27 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry guys, every so often I outright fail to notice that pretty much everyone has basically said "I'm ready"

The team makes their way to the teleporter room.

For those new to the party:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The teleporter room had a double-door and was largely wide open, with the only furnishings along the walls. On the left wall was a large active crystal workstation; a big desk with a backboard, with a long tablet and a smaller hand-held both set on it. It basically functioned as a desktop computer, with the backboard serving as a primary monitor, the desk top itself providing easy touch screen access, the tablet and handheld able to work as a keyboard and mouse or to provide remote access.

On the other wall was what basically looked like a big metal doorway, large enough for three to walk through abreast, although of course, at the moment it "opened" directly into the wall.

Technology or Expertise (Science), DC 25:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This sort of teleportation device operates on a system of fourth-dimensional folding; basically, it's like taking a map and bending it so two points touch. This allows a two-way portal to be created, so multiple people can go through and they can return later.

Richard was there, a brown-haired man who was currently browsing some website or another, munching snacks from the party. He took Avacyn's directions, entered the coordinates into his computer...frowned, entered something else, and pulled up a map. A few more taps on the touch screen, and the space within the "doorway" simply unfolded to reveal a suburban neighborhood.

"It's got projection blockers, that's as close as I can get you. Three hundred feet down the street, in the direction you're facing as you walk through. House'll be on the right. Reverse geocode puts the address at 567 Swansong Lane."
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Agent Goro.

Agent Goro tries to file the address away in his head for future use.
    “No point in waiting, ladies, gentlemen…”

And with that the big man steps through the portal and into the street. After getting his bearings from the teleportation, Goro adjusts his tie and smooths the lines of his suit out.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Robert

Seeing Goro step through, Robert shrugs and does so as well.

. /l 、
    ° (゚、 。 7
    .  l、゙~ヽ
      じ しf_, )ノ

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Galen Medon - Batman?

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Evil-Smasher

Evil-Smasher follows the other two through, though not without a large amount of heroic posturing
    Show

Former Characters

12. - Top - End - #252

Kobold

Aegis

"Hrm Three hundred feet... thats within my hearing and sight range..most likely..... okay, Thank you very much Sir! for your help." With that said Aegis stepped into the portal after the others and as fast as he could he tried to notice or hear anything weird or interesting from where he was suppose to go to.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception for me.
    (1d20+10)[21]

Sense: [Direction-Distance sense, Extended 3 x1k (Sight,Hearing),Counters Illusions(Sight,Hearing)] [12pp]

Last edited by Orbiter; 2013-07-25 at 10:57 AM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

With his enhanced senses, Aegis can identify the target house from where they stand, a large family home that appears fairly ordinary...although the lawn is pretty badly withered. He can hear someone inside the house speaking, though he can't make out exact words.

Avacyn's detection power senses most of the entities in that house (being closer now, it seems like some of them aren't right inside, one of the middling energy sources and five of the lesser ones off a bit, perhaps in the back yard or something). Most seem to be gathering around the big source of necromancy, with one of the middling ones moving towards the offset group.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

14. - Top - End - #254

Kobold

Aegis

Hrm he couln't hear well, time for plan b he ran like crocodiles and aligators do and in a moment he had ran almost the whole distance there leaving thirty or forty meters and then... he dropped down.

Spoiler
    Show

He....used his super lizard speed and move based on his distance sense 260 feet closer.

He is down like clown aligator =P.....man those lizards are big around here.... and purple.

and re rolling a perception again XD focusing on hearing this time.
    (1d20+10)[11] Edit: Ohohohoh.

Array is on blast now.
    Last edited by Orbiter; 2013-07-25 at 02:50 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

It doesn't seem like anyone in the house had a means of noticing Aegis; the voice continued unabated.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Robert Stuffen

Not wanting to left out of potential uncoverings, yet also cautious enough to not sprint into things. Robert 'grabs' a law-enforcement issue parabolic Microphone and attempts to listen into what is going on as he slowly approaches the house.

OoC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm guessing that would be something like extended hearing 1, maybe 2.

. /l 、
    ° (゚、 。 7
    .  l、゙~ヽ
      じ しf_, )ノ

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keldan Tamron - Trivoker
    Galen Medon - Batman?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

With the microphone, Robert can hear a monotone voice directing movements, then, "Lead with your gazes, then focus on anyone still active... Ah, there you are. Your friends may be approaching, do go and see, will you?"

Perception DC 38 and either Counters Concealment (Vision) or an Accurate sense other than Vision or Touch.
    Reduce DC by 18 with Extended 1, or by 20 with Extended 2+.
    Reduce DC by 18 if it is a Radius sense.

This check does not involve something with a metaphysical connection to Necromancer.

Spoiler
    Show
    You detect a presence approaching in something of a spiralling circular search pattern, about two-hundred feet above street level.

If the sense you are using is vision:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It appears to be a translucent woman, her form and features obscured by a white shroud.

Otherwise, let me know and I'll give you sense-appropriate details.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2013-07-29 at 06:06 PM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

Agent Goro.

The big man calmly walks up to the house at 567 Swansong Lane, walks up the walkway and knocks on the door and/or rings the doorbell.

While he waits for someone to answer, he adjusts his tie again, straightens out his suit and clears his voice. Afterward that he glances behind him to check on the whereabouts of his comrades. He also reaches into his inside coat pocket and produces his SIDE issue badge.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Avacyn

The angelic woman walks along with the rest of the group, hanging a step or two behind the others. It is interesting to note that her wings are folded behind her back and lack their usual unearthly luminescense; she must be conserving her limited power for things other than flying at the moment.
    Hmm, I can sense multiple presences inside. she says and goes on to briefly describe their locations and relative power. Do we know who this building belongs to and if anybody other than the Necromancer and his disciples are inside? Because if nobody else is there, we could just call in enough artillery to level this block ten times over.

"Kill them all - the Creator will know his own" is an old phrase but still relevant against global-scale evils.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

With no apparent response forthcoming to Avacyn's suggestion (which, when you think about it, is probably a good thing ) the group makes their way to the house and Agent Goro knocks on the door. After a few moments, they are greeted by a polite, friendly...oh who am I kidding. The thing that opens the door is a grotesque animate corpse, its muscles, teeth, and claws all enlarged, and it gives off a putrid stench that exceeds even the norm for a rotting body.

Inside, the simple suburban household is not only substantially larger than it appears from without, but has the aesthetics more along the lines of a medieval castle. It is also quite murky, the sunlight not going more than a foot past the threshold. Several more of the corpse-like undead, a fair number of vampires, and a...plain-looking, slightly overweight man with a receding hairline all stand inside in battle-ready formation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+8)[21].

I'll have a map up sometime tomorrow, probably in the evening. Agent Goro is in the lead at the door. If anyone has particular placements, post them with your initiative roll and I'll incorporate them, otherwise I'll just be going in rough order of general tankiness.

I'll roll init for anyone who hasn't by the time I post the map.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Evil-Smasher

Evil-Smasher strikes a heroic (in his opinion) pose, with accompanying dramatic wind and lighting of course
    "Surrender, evil-doer, or prepare to be Smashed!"

Spoiler
    Show

Dynamic Array: Blast 10 (32)
    Blast Effects 4 (32)
    (64/64)

Blast Effect (variable): Linked Perception Ranged Affliction 10 (Will Save, Vulnerable, Defenseless, Unaware) Limited: Mind (20/20)

That should be right, I've never used dynamic arrays or variables before, so sorry for any mistakes
    Last edited by HopeHubris; 2013-08-09 at 09:44 AM.
    Show

Former Characters

22. - Top - End - #262

Kobold

Aegis

Aegis started hissing upon catching sight of that Abomination, now in his position some people would speak funny, others would try to intimidate their enemies. But Aegis simply rose attacked his enemies with a feral instinct as he attacked by gathering whatever water he could from his skin and the area around.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative: (1d20)[3]

And when my turn comes in the initiative here are my actions oh and i am somewhere close to the house i guess perhaps trying to hide behind the front fence really badly before getting up.

Free: Switch my water walker array to Blast: 8 800/1600/3200 DC23
    Move: Stand up
    Standart: attack with my water bullets/blasts (1d20+8)[17]

Last edited by Orbiter; 2013-08-09 at 10:07 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

Agent Goro
    Flashing his badge, agent Goro begins a short monolog, either ignoring the fact that a zombie opened the door, or simply rolling with it.

“Agent Goro, SIDE, we have reason to suspect that there is illegal Dreamer activities transpiring at this residence. We have search and seizure and arrest warrants. Step aside. "

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative
    (1d20+2)[17]
    Assessing zombie with assessment advantage: Dm gets to do secret rolling yay!

I'm also really enjoying playing a government stooge fed.

Last edited by TheThan; 2013-08-09 at 09:16 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

The ghoul at the door gets a...simply comical, wide-eyed look of terrified stupidity on its face. "Mastah! Duhhs fuh yoo-oo!" it yells out, before running off to cower in a closet.

Pitiful.

The rest of the undead are substantially less useless. The ghoul horde swarms, the better part of them rushing out to attack from all sides with their savage, rending claws. Anyone unlucky enough to be struck by those putrid weapons will feel a chilling numbness as the paralytic magic invested in them begins its work. The putrid stench of the creatures is overwhelming. The remaining ghouls advance and stand defensively.

The vampires dart in from throughout the room, moving into position with unnatural precision to focus their dominating gazes. In the instant of the attack, Avacyn's first shields flare up and fade away, expending themselves to block the magic.

From behind and above, several shots ring out as an aerial attacker fires at Aegis.

Necromancer himself is wearing a slender smile, examining your bodies with an attentive eye, watching with what can only be described as interest. Nonetheless, he gathers dark energy around his hands, hurling it out in a blast of deadly necromantic power. Avacyn's second shield flares up to absorb the attack once more, leaving only Aegis, outside the affected areas, still warded.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aegis gets shot at by a hidden foe, somewhere in the air; this is a Surprise Attack at (1d20+9)[29] vs. Dodge DC 10 for (1d20+8)[26] Damage vs. Toughness DC 22, plus Multiattack.

The Stench of the ghouls is a Sustained, Perception Area Affliction. I'm resolving it as a single combined attack; if the first roll fails to beat your Dodge, you can cover your nose to avoid the effect (though this may inhibit you if you need both hands to fight). Otherwise, if the second roll beats DC 12 + your Fortitude, you are Impaired, or Disabled with a two-degree success.

The ghouls then attack; everyone (except Aegis) comes under attack by two ghouls, attacking with a Damage linked to an Affliction (Fortitude; Hindered/Immobilized/Paralyzed).

The vampires use their Dominating Gazes, but those get auto-blocked. Everyone but Aegis is down to one shield.

Necromancer uses Death Circle, a Fortitude-resisted effect. That triggers the second shield, so you're all safe from that too.

Rolls as follows. Results are below.

Spoiler
    Show
    Evil-Smasher:
    Including -2 to attack rolls for partial concealment.
    Stench: (1d20+6)[10] vs. Dodge DC 27 -> (1d20+6)[13] vs. Fortitude DC 17.
    Ghoul 1: (1d20+4)[9] vs. Parry DC 25 -> (1d20+6)[22] vs. Toughness DC 12 and (1d20+6)[24] vs. Fortitude DC 17.
    Ghoul 2: (1d20+4)[21] vs. Parry DC 25 -> (1d20+6)[25] vs. Toughness DC 12 and (1d20+6)[12] vs. Fortitude DC 17.

Shift:
    Stench: (1d20+6)[21] vs. Dodge DC 24 -> (1d20+6)[12] vs. Fortitude DC 22.
    Ghoul 1: (1d20+6)[22] vs. Parry DC 22 -> (1d20+6)[24] vs. Toughness DC 13 and (1d20+6)[22] vs. Fortitude DC 22.
    Ghoul 2: (1d20+6)[7] vs. Parry DC 22 -> (1d20+6)[7] vs. Toughness DC 13 and (1d20+6)[9] vs. Fortitude DC 22.

Gentleman Avenger:
    Stench: (1d20+6)[9] vs. Dodge DC 23 -> (1d20+6)[10] vs. Fortitude DC 17.
    Ghoul 1: (1d20+6)[14] vs. Parry DC 18 -> (1d20+6)[25] vs. Toughness DC 12 and (1d20+6)[9] vs. Fortitude DC 17.
    Ghoul 2: (1d20+6)[11] vs. Parry DC 18 -> (1d20+6)[15] vs. Toughness DC 12 and (1d20+6)[18] vs. Fortitude DC 17.

Avacyn:
    Stench: (1d20+6)[16] vs. Dodge DC 22 -> (1d20+6)[26] vs. Fortitude DC 22.
    Ghoul 1: (1d20+6)[21] vs. Parry DC 20 -> (1d20+6)[12] vs. Toughness DC 17 and (1d20+6)[24] vs. Fortitude DC 22.
    Ghoul 2: (1d20+6)[20] vs. Parry DC 20 -> (1d20+6)[9] vs. Toughness DC 17 and (1d20+6)[7] vs. Fortitude DC 22.

Robert:
    Stench: (1d20+6)[26] vs. Dodge DC 19 -> (1d20+6)[14] vs. Fortitude DC 12.
    Ghoul 1: (1d20+6)[23] vs. Parry DC 20 -> (1d20+6)[23] vs. Toughness DC 17 and (1d20+6)[10] vs. Fortitude DC 12.
    Ghoul 2: (1d20+6)[21] vs. Parry DC 20 -> (1d20+6)[8] vs. Toughness DC 17 and (1d20+6)[24] vs. Fortitude DC 12.

Goro:
    Stench: (1d20+6)[7] vs. Dodge DC 19 -> (1d20+6)[24] vs. Fortitude DC 21.
    Ghoul 1: (1d20+6)[22] vs. Parry DC 20 -> (1d20+6)[22] vs. Toughness DC 17 and (1d20+6)[25] vs. Fortitude DC 21.
    Ghoul 2: (1d20+6)[23] vs. Parry DC 20 -> (1d20+6)[25] vs. Toughness DC 17 and (1d20+6)[8] vs. Fortitude DC 21.

Results:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aegis:
    That's a full multiattack crit with high damage to boot. Total effective damage is 36, so that's Staggered unless you want to do a reroll.

Or, with a nat 20 on a Hero Point reroll, the bullets will just bounce right off your forcefield like ping-pong balls.

Evil-Smasher:

Shift:
    One hit for -1 on Resistance, Dazed 1 round, and Staggered. Also causes Hindered until a successful Fortitude save.

Gentleman Avenger:

Avacyn:
    Two hits. One doesn't even manage to break your skin. The other does, barely, which leaves you Hindered until you make a Fortitude save, but causes no real damage.

Robert:
    Stench gets you for Impaired until you can make a Fortitude, and both claws hit. Your deflector absorbs most of the force from one, but the other gets you good, for -1 on future Resistance checks and a round of Daze. Worse, the chilling numbness spreads through you, leaving you Paralyzed unless you reroll with a Hero Point or Luck.

Goro:
    The Stench could Impair you, but you're able to react quickly enough to cover your nose. Both ghouls also hit with their claws, imposing a -2 Resistance penalty, Dazing you one round, and leaving you Hindered until you can make a Fortitude save.

I'm holding off on updating the map with current status until I know who is rerolling, if anyone.

PCs are now all on turn.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2013-08-10 at 11:50 AM.

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

25. - Top - End - #265

Kobold

Aegis

Aegis noticed nothing as the water covered him and someone attacked him. No he was focusing on the combat and one moment he was there, then next he was charging with his inhuman speed and a roaring hiss at the ghouls trying to tear them limb to limb with his monstrous power when he got in range.

Spoiler
    Show

Array remains at forcefield.

Going to attack the ghoul next to the one behind the gentleman in the corner at 7X.

Free action: Hiss and Roar

Rolling to hit DC 23 -2 for charging (1d20+9)[13]
    Move&Standard: Look bellow , if possible i used my super speed heh.

CHARGE STANDARD ACTION
    Spoiler
    Show

You rush forward to attack. You move your speed rank in a
    mode of movement available to you in a relatively straight
    line towards your target. At the end of your movement,
    you perform a close attack against your opponent with a
    –2 circumstance penalty to the attack check.

You can combine a charge action with a move action, allowing
    you to move up to twice your speed (your speed rank as a
    move action, then your speed rank again when you charge).

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Evil-Smasher

"Well then, prepare to be smashed!"
    Bright yellow light shoots out of his hands towards one of the ghouls as he flies into the air
    "Your vampire allies didn't like the sun, let's see how you do"

Spoiler
    Show

Has the sun descriptor (Blast Variable Descriptor)
    Damage roll vs Will (1d20+10)[25]
    Affliction roll vs Will (1d20+10)[16]

They may go off the same roll, I was never quite sure how linked attacks worked
    Show

Former Characters

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Agent Goro
    So much for doing it the easy way!

He says as he lashes out with a hard right hand at the nearest ghoul.

Spoiler
    Show

Attacking ghoul directly in front of me (doesn’t have a number)
    (1d20+10)[25]
    Damage:
    (1d20+10)[24]
    If I drop him I get to make an extra attack thanks to take down advantage.
    guess i'll roll for that if it's successful
    Spoiler
    Show

vs ghoul directly to my right
    damage
    (1d20+10)[16]
    damage:
    (1d20+10)[16]

Also making fortitude save:
    (1d20+9)[21]
    Not entirely sure if this will burn my hero point. If not, then I’ll burn it to remove the daze effect.
    Last edited by TheThan; 2013-08-10 at 02:34 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268

MonkGuy

Jerry seemed to be moving in a daze, following in Agent Minami's wake as they made their way towards the teleporter.

Something's not right, his senses told him. The Necromancer is never confronted. But there was the calm way that the angel woman and the new team had gone about the business that made him believe. The Gentleman Avenger could have hung back and let them handle themselves. This was the most able rotation he'd seen so far. But then again, the Gentleman Avenger had been on the case since he first took up the Mask... No way he would let the Necromancer slide.

And so it was, in some freaky-looking castle, beside the Dreamers he'd been tasked to watch, the snack-loving crimefighter in the ragged red Mantle leapt into the fight, a kick aimed at the nearest ghoul.

Attack!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Melee Attack - Defensive Attack(1d20+16)[36]
    I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever. It's been an honor sharing the field of battle with you.
    - Shane "Footsteps" Falco

I like my action the way I like my juice; Pulpy!

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Robert

Feeling decidedly uncomfortable in his current position and with a wound to boot, Robert decides to get out of there and moves as far away from the ghouls as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    As possible with one move action that is.
    And thats it due to being dazed.

. /l 、
    ° (゚、 。 7
    .  l、゙~ヽ
      じ しf_, )ノ

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show