New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Murphy's Law 9: Contents Under Pressure

Yeah... so Radic still has her "Unicorn Hunting Licence"... 10 GP says Matt would be thrilled to help change that [/bad attempt at re_railing the thread]
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

Well jokes tend to fly off the handle everywhere in this thread.

As Murphy's law fans, we crave soft thread flesh, and we will discuss anything if we have to in order to feed.
    Despite everything, its still me.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    Well jokes tend to fly off the handle everywhere in this thread.

As Murphy's law fans, we crave soft thread flesh, and we will discuss anything if we have to in order to feed.
    That is both awesome and scary at the same time.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

That is both awesome and scary at the same time.
    Your post.
    It is delicious.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

Your post.
    It is delicious.
    Uhhhhh... Thanks?

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Something tells me talking about making meth on this forum isn't exactly a good idea, guys.
    Spoilsport.

Ever thought about selling Murphy's Law t-shirts?

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by athedia View Post
    Hey, asexuals can still feel romantic attraction and love. We may not want to bonk the person, but a good cuddle session is never amiss.
    I would agree, but as far as I know there really isn't a noticeable distinction between "romantic, but without sex" and "platonic." There probably is, but I can't place it. Please explain the difference. (and no, "one's stronger" doesn't count. If that were the only difference, then we would run into a "heap of sand" fallacy-paradox-thingy)

I use the term "platonic" to refer to all of my non-familial relationships, but at least one might start to count as "romantic, but without sex" if someone can explain how they are different (like I just asked) .

By the way, I have had both platonic and familial relationships with all of: other humans, cats, and dogs; and I once had a familial relationship with a hamster.
    Relationship stuff is complicated!
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2013-03-13 at 10:16 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Firbolg in the Playground

I can only speak for myself, but there is a deeper connection that I feel that for me at least isn't tied to sex. I don't feel any desire to sleep with the person I feel for, but I wouldn't be adverse to comprmise for them and I will still kiss them them and be couply (which I do NOT do with friends/family)
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

I can only speak for myself, but there is a deeper connection that I feel that for me at least isn't tied to sex. I don't feel any desire to sleep with the person I feel for, but I wouldn't be adverse to comprmise for them and I will still kiss them them and be couply (which I do NOT do with friends/family)
    I kiss my family (though only on their cheeks, not their lips), and will hug both family and friends. I hold hands with anyone that is okay with holding hands, including people I've only recently met (holding hands is, at least for me, a practical "make sure you don't get lost when one of you knows the way and the other doesn't" thing).
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2013-03-14 at 08:23 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

I love my cats dearly but I don't have sex with them.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

11. - Top - End - #311

True Asta. See in my perspective there is family love (what you show to your parents/siblings), friend love (I would totally through myself in front of a bullet for some of my friends and I am a self declared coward), pet love (what you feel toward that cat that sleeps on your pillow, but you love anyway) and then partner love where you know you want to spend the rest of your life with that person and can't picture being away from them. I can picture losing touch with friends, my family not talking to me and pets running away or dying. But I can't do that with the one that I love.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

True Asta. See in my perspective there is family love (what you show to your parents/siblings), friend love (I would totally through myself in front of a bullet for some of my friends and I am a self declared coward), pet love (what you feel toward that cat that sleeps on your pillow, but you love anyway) and then partner love where you know you want to spend the rest of your life with that person and can't picture being away from them. I can picture losing touch with friends, my family not talking to me and pets running away or dying. But I can't do that with the one that I love.
    I love my pets the same way I love my family, and friends' pets much like the friends themselves. Pets owned by other family members? They vary between the two.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

13. - Top - End - #313

Hehe, no family I always love even if I don't like them at the moment. Pets I love and like, even if they are being annoying at the moment (cuz they are to darn cute about it)

14. - Top - End - #314
    Bugbear in the Playground

To a degree, it is helpful to speak in abstractions (necessary, in linguistic terms). At the same time, in such things as love, I personally have found it more useful to define each relationship individually- of the several partners that I've had, I would hesitate to claim that my feelings for each of them were equivalent.

Your compromise between abstraction and individual specification seems to serve little purpose beyond the enjoyment of defining new terms.

15. - Top - End - #315

I said my perspective. This is how I classify things for myself, which I need to do. He asked about asexuals and I was trying to explain that there was a difference, but it was harder to explain.

16. - Top - End - #316

I said my perspective. This is how I classify things for myself, which I need to do. He asked about asexuals and I was trying to explain that there was a difference, but it was harder to explain.
    I am aware.

At the same time, I wonder. Have you felt only four distinct types of affection in your life? Your explanation differs drastically enough from my own experience that I'm curious- I apologize if I offend.

17. - Top - End - #317

I classify all affection under these broader categories.

18. - Top - End - #318

I... see. What advantage does this provide you?

19. - Top - End - #319

Everyone classifies things. I mean I call people friends and that is just a category. In reality I have many tiers of friends, some people who I am friends with but only in certain scenarios, etc. And even those smaller categories are have smaller ones. It makes it easier for me to explain myself to others.

20. - Top - End - #320

Fair enough.

Sorry to bother you.

21. - Top - End - #321

But back to Murphy's law. So do you think they have monopoly there?

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Monopoly on what?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Monopoly on what?
    ON EVERYTHING.

If you mean the game, then that too.

24. - Top - End - #324

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I would agree, but as far as I know there really isn't a noticeable distinction between "romantic, but without sex" and "platonic." There probably is, but I can't place it. Please explain the difference. (and no, "one's stronger" doesn't count. If that were the only difference, then we would run into a "heap of sand" fallacy-paradox-thingy)

I use the term "platonic" to refer to all of my non-familial relationships, but at least one might start to count as "romantic, but without sex" if someone can explain how they are different (like I just asked) .
    While I fully admit that the difference can be hard to pin-point and explain, I'll try to give some examples of how I experienced the difference. (Since I can only speak for myself)

Spoilered for off-topicness..
    Spoiler
    Show
    Firstly, before I fell in love (and I should note that this was a long time before any confusion about my sexual identity arose) I would never understand the phrase 'wanting to spend all your time with X person' that a friend of mine used. I like to hang out with my friends, of course I do, but the will to actually spend multiple days in a row with a specific person with no particular agenda, was beyond me. That is, until a few years back.

Secondly, the sheer silly-bubbly-insanely-happy feeling that I got while being around that person. And that lasted even after. There was nothing sexual about it, just a very strong positive emotion that made my logical side scream in agony.

Thirdly, the crazy amount of brain capacity spent on thinking on what this person thinks of me. Seriously, if all could have been directed to studying instead, I would've received full marks from all my courses. A concrete example: With any other of my friends, if I wish to chat with them (on facebook for example) I'll just send them a message without thinking about it too much. If they are busy or don't feel like chatting at the moment, it is totally fine with me.
    But with this person I like, geez... Even sending the message took time because I had to figure out if I sounded somehow silly, or was bothering him with messaging too often, or yadda yadda.. And if he couldn't chat for whatever reason, it affected my mood negatively way more than what my logical side would approve

There are other points, but I think I have rambled enough already I don't know if it answered your question, I just tried to explain how I experience the difference.

Also, I should note that this person was not 'the most important in my life'. I resent the idea of putting one person on such a pedestial, and even if I had to arrange the people I know into a line, he would not be the first. There are a few truly lifelong friends that I consider to be more essential to my life in the long run. Though when it comes to all those I hold very dear, I fully agree with athedia:
    I would totally through myself in front of a bullet for some of my friends and I am a self declared coward
    on both the first and last part. ^^'

Sorry to talk off topic again, I will stop now. ^^'
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

OFF TOPIC:
    Spoiler
    Show

The difference between Romance Sans Sex and Plantonic Friendship is, to me, something like cuddling. I don't cuddle with friends. I WOULD cuddle with anyone whom I was involved in a relationship with.

I wonder if all this off-topicness might have relevance to ML at some point in the future....

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

26. - Top - End - #326
    Colossus in the Playground

Maybe, maybe not. As for me, I'm incredibly close to the few people I'm best friends and there's a few, very few, people who literally mean the world to me, even though I've only known them a couple years. There's a reason I nearly had a heart attack when I woke up a few weeks ago, clicked on google news, and saw that the top story was a (thankfully false) report of a gunman at MIT. For a moment I had a horrifying thought that my best friend was hurt or dead, and I...I just don't know if I could deal with that. There's sexual attraction there too on my end, but that didn't show up until about a year into our relationship and then it hit me like a truck. I seriously thought I was asexual until that point.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-03-14 at 11:41 AM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Superdark still wants to know whats inside the blitzike ruins that causes the perament disjunction sphere.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

An invisible pink unicorn.

― Tim Fargo

29. - Top - End - #329
    Colossus in the Playground

Superdark still wants to know whats inside the blitzike ruins that causes the perament disjunction sphere.
    Give it time.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Then its a green light for operation theory.

Spoiler
    Show
    1.A tear portal to a dimension of antimagic: While in Aequer its a Disjunction sphere, in the other dimension its a magic sphere and is a popular tourist attraction.
    2. Surdrak's ancestor became a third side in the war, became a lich and his phylatracy, also his connection to the Crabtopus, was destroyed, creating a sphere of disjunction, cutting off two tentaclaws, and makeing it impossible for living beings to survive in the throne room of the tower.
    3.A Gate particel accelarator that uses the magic of the surroundings to keep the gates functional. if somthing jumps into a gate, he is transferred trhough all the Planes, reaching light's speed, then crushing with another thing thrown inside in the Matirial plane, creating a Magic-sucking-nuclear-explosion. which is bad
    4.The squiddle kingdom.

Dont worry! more will come!