New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default MacGyver/The Doctor

Alirght! I know I don't contribut much to the forum, but I have come to ask the playgrounders a question: How would you build either The Doctor or MacGyver in D&d? Preferably without being a spellcaster or a factotum. Thanks!

3.5, not Pathfinder.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: MacGyver/The Doctor

Well, I suppose you could make a MacGyver-ish character with a rogue/expert. Take basically ALL the knowledge and craft skills, plus search and disable device. Prioritize int above all else.

The doctor, I have no idea.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

The doctor is a homebrew outsider with lots of neat tricks/laughably obsolete technology.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like one, that on a lonesome road
    Doth walk in fear and dread,
    And having once turned round walks on,
    And turns no more his head;
    Because he knows, a frightful fiend
    Doth close behind him tread.
    The Rime of the Ancient Mariner -- Samuel Coleridge Taylor

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Well, the Doctor pretty much has to be some kind of skills monkey.

If we go with the old show flavor, we could even give him some nonlethal combat skills.

I'd give him Skill Mastery and some kind of skill ticks or ACF to allow him to quickly infiltrate locks and bypass traps. There is a feat of some kind in BoED that allows one to deal nonlethal damage better. Giving him Vow of Nonviolence might not be out of line, but sadly it has totally miserable effects for anyone that isn't a spellcaster.

Really, rogue is looking pretty golden. He needs access to all Knowledge, though, so this might call for some kind of dip. Factotum is really good for him, but Jack of All Trades may work alright too. Regardless, Int is his key stat by a wide margin. I'd follow by Dex/Wis, Con, Cha, then Str. You pretty much have to ignore all of his racial traits.

So, Rogue headed for Exemplar. If you want non-magical inspirational coolness, Exemplar PrC from Complete Adventurer is the way to go. Look for ACF and feats that switch rogue stuff from dex to int. There was a feat called Keen that lets interaction skills key off Int, I believe.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Don't forget the social skills for the Doctor-- the new regenerations, at least, tend to be pretty good at talking to people.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Don't forget the social skills for the Doctor-- the new regenerations, at least, tend to be pretty good at talking to people.
    Exemplar and Skill Artistry (talk to DM about making it something other than competence bonus, maybe insight, since as written it just ends up duplicating magic item effects) can go a long way to the social skills being top notch. As I mentioned, there is some kind of Dragon Mag stuff to alter rogue to be Intelligence based. You could still give him a good Charisma, of course, but he has racial traits that bump his Intelligence way, way, way more than any of his other stats. The higher level benefits of Exemplar are pretty awesome, too, not to mention over 10 levels this nets an int-based character a crazy number of skill points, probably in the range of 150-180.

Also look into PrC that grant permanent bonuses to stats. Mythic Exemplar from Complete Champion comes to mind. Flush all the fluff, and the int-character, Ktolemagne IIRC, has some cool benefits. Pretty much a caster, though. The Doctor might benefit from some of the stuff granted to other paragon paths, though.

Some of the old shows actually went into describing the way that the brains of Time Lords (not sure if it was only Time Lords or all Gallifreyans) were different from those of humans. Pretty cool stuff. It would be all but impossible to make a time lord race, though. Way too much coolness to quantify, but I guess one could try to narrow it down some. Still, the LA stands to be quite high.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Awesome! Thanks! What book is vow of nonviolence in? I still haven't decided on class.

Edit: Nevermind, I messaged a friend and vow of nonviolence is not for me :)
    Last edited by koboldish; 2013-01-30 at 09:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by koboldish View Post
    Awesome! Thanks! What book is vow of nonviolence in? I still haven't decided on class.

Edit: Nevermind, I messaged a friend and vow of nonviolence is not for me :)
    Great flavor for the Doctor, but it throws a major wrench in the typical D&D game. Not to mention, the benefit of Vow of Nonviolence is not as cool or as useful as it should be, like most of the Sacred Vows apart from Vow of Poverty. Here's to inconsistent writing.

Extended Sigbox

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Aww... Hmmm.... How about psychich rogue or lurk? Would those be absolutely terrible?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Aww... Hmmm.... How about psychich rogue or lurk? Would those be absolutely terrible?
    Don't know a lot about psychic rogue, but there is precedent for the Doctor having quasi-psychic abilities. I'd aim for telepathy, mainly hypnosis (charm), and ones that boost his interaction skills.

Lurk is pretty dark in flavor, but if you could keep the elaborate-murder flavor out of their powers and class stuff, then I'd say fine.

I went with rogue off the bat because of the more urban flavor and the high skill points. Scout wouldn't be 100% out of line either, just the new Doctor isn't in the countryside half as much as he once was. There is evidence that he might have access to Track as well, and Scout bonus feats might be nice. The bigger HD for Scout is also good, as the Doctor is stupidly difficult to kill. Consider feats like Endurance and such.

If I were to custom make his race, Endurance would be free, and they'd probably have some kind of cool use of Autohypnosis to ignore pain and damage for 1 round. Kind of a Mad Foam Rager racial ability. Hehe, there is just too much material from 50 years of the show to replicate even a portion of their abilities in a balanced fashion. That said, I'm sure many people have made a 3.5 Time Lord race, especially since the new show is very popular across much of the world.

Extended Sigbox

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Rule 1 on death immediate reincarnation to a time lord moving on.

listen to the Tom Baker radio shows of doctor who.
    as his states in that are
    STR 10
    DEX 10
    CON 10
    INT 75
    WIS over nine thousand (he knows the whole of the earths and humans history and a around the grand total of everyone everything)
    CHA 20

and craft skill are all of the charts as he once fixed a spaceship with only a pair of stocking wile suffering from the time lord equivalent of senile denture from a 900 year exile

move onto the Sylvester McCoy the 7th doctor
    he is an epic level fighter who has taken vow of peace,
    and happily beats well trained SS lunar future Nazis with only an umbrella in hand and his tardis stolen by a Bloody SS nuclear weapon scientist who rewrote history to mack Nazis a space faring empire by 1991,
    but i digress the doctor is an epic level planes shifting, chronomancer, skill money, with enoth feats making it so he can do enoth to make MacGyver look like an armless child playing with lego, who is around a with fist level character and solving ALLLLL problems he runs into regardless of where people want his help of not.

so yer play MacGyver that's easy in comparison in every way, and slightly better play wise as silly shenanigans and abusing jury rigging is much more rewarding then macing the DM look in informed and the enemy incompetent.
    so in my opinion enjoy MacGyver as is is fun relay relay fun but I'm not sure how to pull that of tho.

Edit:i forgot to mention the doctor refuses to use any special powers he has is he has an alternative.
    Last edited by searlefm; 2013-01-30 at 10:42 PM.
    if you enjoy me insanity i have bad news for you.
    YOU ARE MAD MAAAADD MMMAAAAAAADD

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

MacGyver I'm not sure...

But the doctor... well the doctor in my mind is a human bard 1. Taking the jack of all trades feat and taking bardic knack... Then maybe a level of artificer to explain the gadgets. I don't know about the regeneration stuff but thats what I would play if I was making the doctor.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

13. - Top - End - #13

I kind of like the cerebrex for this, but I kind of like the cerebrex in general. Rogue's skill progression, half spell progression, gets a bonus equal to his level on Int checks in order to solve any puzzle, code, enigma, or riddle, Craft, access to all Knowledge skills, Speak Language. We see Doctor 10 frequently using senses other than sight, and Cerebrex gets scent, blindsense, and eventually blindsight. He can send other creatures into a rage (and for any non-barbarians, this rage is largely futile). He's got such great control over his brain that he can boost his own Dex score. Immune to telepathy, clairaudience/clairvoyance at will. Can wipe prepared spells from his opponent's brains. Insight bonuses to AC and all the social skills based on knowing what his opponent's going to do before his opponent does, and gets bonuses against illusions, mind-affecting, sleep, and fear effects. And he has an eidetic memory as a class feature.

Beguiler or bard might be a good way to prepare for getting into the class, though I'm gonna lean beguiler because I love beguilers. Super versatile, almost entirely nonlethal, lots of misdirection and manipulation.
    Last edited by Ellrin; 2013-01-31 at 03:23 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    Great flavor for the Doctor, but it throws a major wrench in the typical D&D game. Not to mention, the benefit of Vow of Nonviolence is not as cool or as useful as it should be, like most of the Sacred Vows apart from Vow of Poverty. Here's to inconsistent writing.
    Vow of Nonviolence isn't too bad - that one's a personal vow, so you don't have to be the party nanny. You just personally can't deal lethal damage or ability damage to humanoids. It's actually quite nice for a lot of builds, if they can stomach being Exalted. It's Vow of Peace that I think should be anathema to any party.

I always think the half-elf bard substitution level granting Soothing Voice would be excellent for the Doctor, if you can handle making the Doctor a half-elf. (There were a couple of the older stories that implied the Doctor was half-human, so you could treat elves as Time Lords maybe? But that thread was never really followed up on, because it was kind of silly.)
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

15. - Top - End - #15
    Spamalot in the Playground

Preferably without being a spellcaster or a factotum.
    Why not Factotum? It's not like you have to use the magical bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

16. - Top - End - #16

Steal the Anytool from Pathfinder's Ultimate Equipment book. Cheap magic item, with a command word it becomes any nonmagical tool you require. Seems like a pretty reasonable facsimile of the Screwdriver.

17. - Top - End - #17

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Why not Factotum? It's not like you have to use the magical bits.
    exactly what i was about to post.
    Factotum IS macgyver! ;)

Able to sort any situation with a vast selection of skills, crafts and knowledges.
    "If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Thanks for all the help everyone! I'll look into some stuff, probably beguiler (and a slightly psychich paper), as I have decided to build The Doctor. Keep up all of the good work!

Edit: Poked around on Google, and it looks like I need to buy Dragon 317, because Cerebrex is perfect and exactly what I'm looking for. Anyone have unconventional uses for intelligence besides spells?
    Last edited by koboldish; 2013-01-31 at 04:04 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Spamalot in the Playground

Well, Cerebrex gets 60 ft. Blindsight and a boatload of skill points, but that's all it really has going for it if you ask me. And it really should have been psionic as far as I'm concerned.

If you're interested in it, it's also in Dragon Compendium if you have access to that.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2013-01-31 at 04:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Alright. What do you think would work better than cerebrex, then?

21. - Top - End - #21

Alright. What do you think would work better than cerebrex, then?
    Epic levels of Expert?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

So, like 500 to make it on par with a 20th level wizard, right .

23. - Top - End - #23

Thing is, The Doctor, as awesome as he is, has no real powers outside of the Screwdriver, the Tardis, the psychic paper, Regeneration/reincarnation and massive intellect. Regeneration can be granted by a template, race or magic item; the paper, Screwdriver and Tardis are obviously magic items or artifacts. That leaves the intellect, which Expert emulates just fine.

Going Wizard gives him a bunch of other stuff that The Doctor has no business having. When has The Doctor ever thrown a fireball at someone, or teleported himself around? And personally, I think he'd probably avoid using anything called "Time Stop"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by doko239 View Post
    Thing is, The Doctor, as awesome as he is, has no real powers outside of the Screwdriver, the Tardis, the psychic paper, Regeneration/reincarnation and massive intellect. Regeneration can be granted by a template, race or magic item; the paper, Screwdriver and Tardis are obviously magic items or artifacts. That leaves the intellect, which Expert emulates just fine.

Going Wizard gives him a bunch of other stuff that The Doctor has no business having. When has The Doctor ever thrown a fireball at someone, or teleported himself around? And personally, I think he'd probably avoid using anything called "Time Stop"
    Summed up perfectly. That was a wonderful explanation. So how would you go about doing what you mentioned in your wonderful speech?

That was really epic.

25. - Top - End - #25

Summed up perfectly. That was a wonderful explanation. So how would you go about doing what you mentioned in your wonderful speech?

That was really epic.
    Thank you

I've already mentioned my suggestion of using the Anytool cribbed from Pathfinder Ultimate Equipment as a sort of substitute for the Screwdriver. It can basically be any piece of mundane equipment you may need all at once, which is more or less what the Screwdriver is anyway.

Tardis is more difficult, and basically requires some homebrew. I'd imagine an adamantine box with a door, that has a permanent Rope Trick cast inside, can fly at will, and can cast Plane Shift and Greater Teleport on command.

Psychic Paper is the most difficult of all, because it has no real analogue mechanically. Some sort of permanent illusion/mindreading type magic item is all I could really come up with.

For regeneration, I don't have any books with me, but I'm sure there exists some template with Regeneration on it. If not, the Ring of Regeneration exists.

For The Doctor himself, like I said, 20+ levels of Expert and huge Int Wis and Cha scores is all you really need.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Most campaigns I play in start at level 1. How would you suggest doing this at low levels? I'll ask my DM if I can have a higher point buy for playing an NPC class .

27. - Top - End - #27

Most campaigns I play in start at level 1. How would you suggest doing this at low levels? I'll ask my DM if I can have a higher point buy for playing an NPC class .
    Only way I could see to emulate the Doctor from level 1 on would be an Artificer, since you'd have to make all his fancy stuff yourself.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Very true. Would it be possible to make a something of knock at level 1?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by doko239 View Post
    Actually, you've overlooked quite a lot. Even focusing on the new doctor, he's shown to have some strange ability to redirect energy that he absorbs, as well as having some kind of racial energy resistance . Ability to metabolize poisons also came up in that episode with Agatha Christie.

The old doctor used powerful hypnosis on numerous occasions. Low-level telepathy. Ability to meditatively slow and virtually stop his metabolic functions. Ability to stop both of his hearts (feign death). Ability to stop breathing for prolonged periods of time. One of his regenerations had access to some pretty extreme barehanded combat ability, and it's later implied that he could still use it, just that the personalities of his later bodies all had an even greater distaste for violence. He should also have crossbow proficiency, possibly also bow proficiency, and mad fencing skills. He knows a lot about combat, just he intentionally never uses it.

Now, as I said before, actually modeling everything that he is capable of doing is quite hard. Skills-based should be the go-to flavor, since the Doctor pretty much laughs at AMF. He is way, way more dependent on his screwdriver in the new show. It was around a lot before, but even without it he routinely escapes bonds, picks locks, bypasses security systems, and such. The screwdriver is a great asset, but it's hardly a crutch. He also had a sonic lance at one point, like a screwdriver but more focused on building things than taking them apart, as far as I could tell.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-01-31 at 07:39 PM.

Extended Sigbox

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    Actually, you've overlooked quite a lot. Even focusing on the new doctor, he's shown to have some strange ability to redirect energy that he absorbs, as well as having some kind of racial energy resistance . Ability to metabolize poisons also came up in that episode with Agatha Christie.

The old doctor used powerful hypnosis on numerous occasions. Low-level telepathy. Ability to meditatively slow and virtually stop his metabolic functions. Ability to stop both of his hearts (feign death). Ability to stop breathing for prolonged periods of time. One of his regenerations had access to some pretty extreme barehanded combat ability, and it's later implied that he could still use it, just that the personalities of his later bodies all had an even greater distaste for violence. He should also have crossbow proficiency, possibly also bow proficiency, and mad fencing skills. He knows a lot about combat, just he intentionally never uses it.

Now, as I said before, actually modeling everything that he is capable of doing is quite hard. Skills-based should be the go-to flavor, since the Doctor pretty much laughs at AMF. He is way, way more dependent on his screwdriver in the new show. It was around a lot before, but even without it he routinely escapes bonds, picks locks, bypasses security systems, and such. The screwdriver is a great asset, but it's hardly a crutch. He also had a sonic lance at one point, like a screwdriver but more focused on building things than taking them apart, as far as I could tell.
    Also a wonderful explanation! Thanks! Still looking for something slightly more specific though.