New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 74 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

Cipriano Verneti

Yup. DEFINITELY keep my wits about me with this one, Cipriano pondered about Shayliss's request for assistance. If I do go an' help her later today, I better run th' matter by Master Ven first. Don't want his ire upon me, judgin' by th' way he was chewin' his missus over this other daughter - Kat, wuzzit?

"By all the gods of good, man, what did you do to him?" he then asked Mandraiv, once Aldern and Shayliss had left. "He looked like he was ready to renounce his fortunes and put on a hair shirt."

"And if you have leads, friend Rico", he then added, turning to the half-orc constable. "I'll come with ya. I don't know th' locals yet, but I can smell bulls*it at a thousand paces. If one of 'em tries t' pull th' wool over yer eyes, I can usually tell. Besides, if we'll be fightin' more gobbos, I'll be needin' more of these", he added, his hand softly touching the pair of bright-red terracotta bottles hanging on his belt loops. Each of them carried a simple warning symbol, a bursting flame. Alchemist's fire. Or as some people burnt by the liquid called it, inferno in a bottle. "My own mixture, too", the young cleric added with a touch of pride. Figures... a cleric of god of brewers tampering with flammable concoctions. "So I might as well come see this colleague of mine. Paper and quill can wait, if we're in a rush."
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2013-02-26 at 05:41 AM.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Still scowling, Rico scratches her head and grates, "Right. Frig the lot, then. Order o' business: Finish up wotever y'all be gettin' 'ere at Vinder's. Then we're off to the precinct ta get us all authorization. Based on what's closer to what--- I suggests after that we go fer Tander's, Rhyshinn's an' then to Voon's. Lunch at Ameiko's. Any objections?"

Her gaze narrows at Cipriano and she says, "Agreed. We need at least one frigger who's people-savvy... an' hellsteeth. 'Sgood, but... Are ye SURE yer able ta mitigate yer collateral damage offa yer infernoes?"

She rumbles, then says, "Pff. Sorreh... what was that that ye'd said? Of COURSE Mistress Bevvy's feelin' grateful. It was Red an' me who'd hauled that fire-cart down afore it'd burn her shop up. Hell, if I wasn't there, pretty sure Red'd still have done her damnedest ta help, an' would still've hauled that fire-cart ta safety." Rico then coughs and flexes her fists. "KOFF. And ye patched us up derafter."
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

Late lunch, Red thinks to herself, squinting slightly with the effort of trying to estimate how long it would take them to do all that walking around Sandpoint. Setsuna would certainly get to see her fill of the place, if nothing else. Just what did she mean by 'spending time with her' anyway? Minkai people sure had funny ways of speaking. What was with all the 'suns' she kept adding on to the end of people's names?

"...Wouldn't have," she corrects Rico gently. "I'm not... heavy enough. To move the wagon. That's why... I called you to help."
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

"No worries, Rico. I've a steady hand when it comes t' throwin' things", Cipriano offered with a smirk. "An' I'll only throw 'em if there's a chance we might get swarmed by th' buggers."

"Which I hope that young master Foxglove ain't going t' suffer, either. It's a foolhardy business, goin' out into th' woods when there's goblins about. Or you tell me, is this Tickwood place safe t' be saunterin' at anyway?"

They were certainly being pulled in different directions alright. There were the half-elves to question, and while Aldern Foxglove was a pain in the keister, Cipriano wished the young nobleman no harm. The rats in the Vinders' larder... well, that seemed trivial by comparison.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Those of you who dare to step into the Vinder General Store find to your relief that the storm within has abated. A tiny bronze chime hung artfully above the entrance announces your presence as you push the door open. From behind the counter, the dark weathered face of Ven Vinder regards you sternly, almost daring you to steal the merchandise. Solsta bobs you a brief curtsey before continuing to bustle around the store - the imperious sweep of her skirts as she rearranges the stock making it clear that she is still angry with her husband.

For a man of his age, Ven has an impressive beard, impeccably groomed and black like a raven's wing. "Well?" He rumbles grumpily, looking all of you in the store over. "What can I do for you today?"

A proper journal (50 pages) costs 10 gp. But if all Cipriano wants is something to write on, that will be 4 sp for one sheet of ordinary paper, 5 cp for one sheet of rice paper, or 2 sp for spell parchment. An inkpen costs 1 sp.

You can get a decent bunch of carrots for 2 cp and a meat pie for 1 sp.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

Knowing they had other business to attend to, Cipriano did his business with the shopkeep in a quick and orderly fashion. Having still some coin in his pocket, he chose a leather-bound journal, some goose-feather quills and a small vial of black ink. For Eunice, he picked up some carrots. And the mouth-watering aroma of freshly-made meat pies compelled him to pull out an extra silver piece from his coin purse.

"Just a little something to nibble on while we go about our business", he said with a smile as he bounced the hot pie in his hands, the linen wrapped around it slowly staining with grease. "Anyone want a piece?"

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Rico smiles at Red's correction and shrugs. Before she could say anything, Cipriano cuts in and she listens, snorts and scowls, "Bad juju thattaways. Lamashtu-blessed place. Ticks large as dogs. Fleas like monkeys, bear'n down men fearlessly. Warped, mutated hogs. Other things, fell beasts that bear not speakin' of an' deserve only prayer, hatred, fire an' steel."

~~~

Nostrils flare. Gold glints.
    Bag of pies, snatches.
    One apiece. Rest for later.

"Whaaaaaat? Makin' tables be hungry work! Keep deh change, sar."

Spoiler
    Show

Two gold down.
    Ten meat-pies, one piece
    For everybody. The rest, yes, for later.
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2013-02-26 at 11:49 AM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

"I shoulda accounted for orcish appetite, apparently", Cipriano chuckled, shaking his head. Rico's mention of the dangers of Tickwood, though, appear in his mind. "Sounds like an odd place. Tickwood, I mean. Odd place for noblemen t' go riding", he said, frowning as he opened the wrappings around the pie he had bought. "Think there's anything to it? I mean, he don't look like he's got elvish blood, but still..."
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2013-02-26 at 11:52 AM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mandraiv stands as if in deep thought, thinking through the angles. Then, like a mask, his charming smile returns, and he turns to Rico, "I, too will accompany you if you do not object. My skills might be useful in an interrogation." Mandraiv thinks back, trying to remember anything he may have learned about the Tickwood. Rumors and lore...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge(history): (1d20+10)[19]
    Knowledge(local): (1d20+9)[12]
    Lord Havelock Vetinari Avatar by AlfredAmeoba.
    "A sense of terrifying admiration overcame him.
    He wondered what it was like in the Patrician's mind. All cold and shiny, he thought, all blued steel and icicles and little wheels clicking along like a huge clock. The kind of mind that would carefully consider its own downfall and turn it to advantage." "Every evil tyrant has a plan to rule the world. The good people don't seem to have the knack."-Terry Pratchett

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Setsuna silently ponders the viability of trying to listen to the minds of their suspects as Rico creates their itinerary Well, at least I'll get to a tour of the town this way.

Just then, Rico splurges on a pack of pies, offering a full one to their entire company. Just before gracefully declining however, her stomach growls, both embarrassing and reminding Setsuna that she missed breakfast and that the pie smells delicious. "Thank you for your generosity, Rico-san,"she says to the half-orc as she gladly takes one of the proffered pies.

Spoiler
    Show
    So...anyone have a knife or are these already sliced?

Having heard Rico's description of the beasts in Tickwood, Setsuna turns her gaze to Cipriano to reply, "I would not think it especially strange. Nobility always seek to impress others, there is simply more prestige in hunting a dangerous beast. As long as he does not get himself killed or anger a dragon or any other creature intelligent or strong enough to endanger the town, it is probably best that we leave him be."
    Last edited by Desril; 2013-02-26 at 01:03 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus bows to the half orcess and he eats the pie with small measured bites. When he is done, he says to the store keeper.

"I have been told. That you may have. A rat infestation. Problem. I could. Offer. My assistance. Before we go on. To other. Business."

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

"Here", the Magnimarian cleric said to Setsuna, pulling out one of his daggers and offering it to her handle first. "Use this. Don't worry, it's clean. The worst thing I've carved with it recently was my uncle's cooking."

"Or later today", he then added to Sirus's offer of assistance involving the rodent infestation. "We've still some errands t' run, but after that... unless Sirus insists on dispatching these vermin all by his lonesome", he chuckled. He had no doubt that the half-orc would have no trouble with the rats, unless they were of a particularly crafty breed. Or big. Though he doubted these country rats would grow to the size of the vicious little monsters that sometimes rose up from Magnimar's sewers.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

"Since we are. Already here. And we may be. Intensely busy. Later this day. I believe. The time is now. To take out. This rat infestation. If at all"

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Taking the knife, Setsuna thanks Cipriano and sets to work slicing and eating the pie. Once done, she returns the knife.

While eating, she briefly considers assisting with the rat issue, This doesn't really require all of our aid though, Scarletti-san can handle it on his own I'm sure...though I'm not even sure he is needed. Besides, she idly glances down at her katana, this blade is not meant for exterminating vermin, even if exceptions are made for goblins. No, I think I'll go with the others.

She turns to Sirus and replies casually, "For a rat problem in a confined space, having each of us down there would only make it more troublesome. Perhaps we could go on ahead and you can rejoin us once you've cleared out the infestation?"

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Mandraiv's Knowledge check:

Spoiler
    Show
    Tickwood is about two miles west-ward along the Lost Coast road from Sandpoint. So named for the giant but mostly harmless ticks that roam the forest, Tickwood is a popular hunting location among the nobility and Sandpoint's wealthier residents, who head there on horseback to seek firepelt cougars and wild boars. It is a long narrow forest, consisting of mostly fires, pine, and redwood. Those without horses to ride tend to avoid Tickwood, since the dog-sized ticks otherwise make walking along its forest trails rather irksome.

Ven gruffly accepts your coinage, grunting in surprise when Rico's tip lands on his counter. A hundred percent tip is extremely generous, after all. At the suggestion that you all go rat-hunting in his basement however, he scowls and knits his thick brows together, leaning his elbows on the counter stubbornly.

"Ain't no vermin on these premises," he growls, staring suspiciously at Sirus. "Dunno what tales Shay's been spreading, but there's no rat infestation. Or mouse infestation. Or any kind of infestation around here. D'you think folks would buy my food if they thought there were mice in the house? They'd be spreading tales of mouse-meat in the pies and droppings in the pudding and how me own mouse-traps don't work, and I'd never hear the end of it. Shay's just looking for attention. I say to leave her alone."

"Well, you haven't been paying her much attention recently, have you? Been too busy focusing on Kat," remarks Solsta archly as she marches past the counter with a broom in hand.

Ven glowers at his wife, but chooses (perhaps wisely) not to respond to her barb. If any of you intend to help Shayliss out with the rat-catching, you certainly won't be getting her father's support for it.

If nobody else intends to buy anything from Ven, the next GM post will move you all to the Watch Garrison.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

The Sandpoint Watch Garrison usually has nothing more dangerous to hold in its cells than the occasional drunk or some disgruntled thief. The place has turned into a bit of a carnival since last night, however, with the cells full of squabbling goblins, a harried Sheriff Hemlock mercilessly driving his guards, and a small group of vigilante citizens demanding that Hemlock turn the goblins over to them for execution...

Nevertheless, the sight of Constable Rico - even when she's off-duty - and the rest of yesterday's heroes is enough to quieten the rabble outside the Garrison for a bit. They part and let you enter without resistance, the watchman on duty outside the doors giving you all a grateful nod as you go.

The first thing you notice upon entering the Garrison is the smell. Even though the goblins are all locked up in the basement, the faint sickly-sweet smell of rotting flesh that goblins seem to inveterately reek of has permeated the office area. Some bright watchman has brought in a bottle of cheap perfume to try masking the goblin odour, to no avail - all this does is to make the office smell even more nauseating.

The next thing you all notice is the mess. Since yesterday, someone has tacked up a map of the town on the blank wall the watchmen usually use for naughty graffiti, the map itself covered with freshly made scribbles and red circles. There is goblin blood and mud tracked all over the floor, someone's dirty leathers in a corner, and a pile of weapons stacked messily against another wall. From the looks of things, nobody has had much rest since last night, and if the number of wooden tags hanging from the duty roster is anything to go by, Hemlock's already summoned out most of the available city militia.

From behind a desk piled high with paper and sundry lost items, Trooper Halast waves wearily at your group, scratching his stubble. Vachedi lies slumped over at another desk, snoring loudly with his head pillowed on his arms - one of his arms now bandaged and crusted with dried blood. Two other watchmen sit at the top of the stairs to the basement, standing guard while Vachedi gets his rest.

At the other end of the office, Sheriff Hemlock, dishevelled in his tabard and mail, sits on his desk, his face grim as he receives a report of some sort from Troopers Hannah and Lyardin. Glancing up, he spots Rico and gruffly waves her over.

"You're here. Good. I was about to send a runner after you. You're off bereavement leave starting from now. Get dressed - your kit's in the armoury where you left it - had to stop Horst from pinching it to wear after one of those horsechopper things tore his mail yesterday. Got a case I need your nose on. Hate to say it, but I might need your little redhead friend to tag along with you for it. Listen, Father Zantus..."

At this point, the Sheriff abruptly falls silent and cranes his head around Rico's bulk, peering dubiously at the rest of you. "... Rico," he says slowly, a definite tone of annoyance in his voice. "I've told you before not to bring civilians into the office without telling me beforehand. Especially when one of those civilians happens to be Miss Allin. Saving the presence of Father Verneti, who are all these other people and what they doing in my garrison?"
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-02-27 at 05:49 AM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

Concerned citizens. Private contractors. Well-meaning mercenaries. Ambitious troubleshooters were some of the answers Cipriano considering giving Sheriff Hemlock when he demanded who were all these Magnimarians, Minkaian hellborn, red-headed rogues, Tien arcanists and orc-blooded boxers traipsing about his precious garrison. Still, he thought it best to keep his trap shut; Hemlock had asked Rico, and by the looks of things the Shoanti sheriff was in no mood for levity.

Keeping his hands near his weapons - the sound of the goblins mucking about in their cell made him tense up - the Caydenite looked about in the room, his eyes focusing on gaoler Vachedi's arm. That doesn't look good, he thought with a frown on his face. If one of the goblins had managed a bite of Vachedi's flesh, there was a chance an infection would set in. Especially if the bandages were set in a hurry, essentially making the wound fester in the wrappings.

A man could lose an arm that way, he thought worriedly as he stepped a little closer, looking at the dressings without touching the man. If there was no cause for alarm, he did not wish to wake up the good man needlessly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling a Heal to check the dressings on Vachedi's arm, to make sure they're done properly. (1d20+8)[9]

The last thing he needs is gangreen from an infected goblin bite...

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

Red narrows her eyes as Sheriff Hemlock mentions her real name and pretends to examine a dark splotch of goblin blood on the floor, using the tip of her boot to smudge it out.

It'd only been that one fight in Sandpoint. Which she'd already been cleared of. Trust Hemlock to have gone digging up her old records from Magnimar and Riddleport. She couldn't really blame him though - watchmen were supposed to.. watch out. For trouble. Which Red was sometimes guilty of causing, it was true.

She just really wished he would stop using her real name like that. It was annoying. Why couldn't he just call her 'Red' like everyone else?

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

"Morn', sir. Officers. Sir! Yessir!" Rico barks, saluting at attention. Gesturing behind her with a jerk of her wolvish ears, she says, "Sir. With your permission, I'll be takin' these fine dang frakken as auxiliaries. Father Verneti as second-in-command, hunter Red as right-hand. Competency's been proven with yesterday's actions... an' looks like the current Watch-complement could do with some emergency relief."

Clicking her heels, she salutes again and grunts, "All due respect, sir, kitting out."

With that, her long legs take her to and from the garrison's armoury in short order. Rico returns clad in her battered greatcoat, beneath which is a steel cuirass over a gambeson, bronze greaves and vambraces strapped to her forearms and calves, helmed in a kettle-pot hat, marching with a surer step to her stride and a glint in her eye. A light flail and a scabbarded shortsword slap gently at her thighs with every step. A laden kitbag jostles at her back, one of its side-straps holding a crossbow, the other side holding its box of ammo.

One hand hefts a kite shield, the other holds her trusty hat and chainshirt. The former she tosses at Cipriano, the latter she gives to Sheriff Hemlock, saying, “Sir. For Horst, a personal loan, until he can get his suit repaired. Might not be a perfect fit fer 'im, but some armour's better'n none. I presume I’ll hafta do the auxiliaries’ paperwork later? What’s the sitrep with Father Zantus, sir? Problem is presumably at the cathedral?”

Rico then grunts with sudden recollection and brings out the four remaining meatpies, having already eaten her share on the way. "Sir. For... everyone who's presently on duty."
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2013-02-27 at 09:29 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus on the way split the contents of the pouch that Doxglove gave him to the rest of the party, silently and with precise movements. Upon arriving, he took stock of the situation.

Aaah watchmen. Apparently the same all over Golarion. Good or bad, dutiful or corrupt, the one thing they did not like was encroachment in their territory. And challenge.

So Sirus remained silent, certain that others, natives of the town, would be better at explaining why a stretched to its limits watch would need help from proven experts.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a bit confused. Did Sirus have the talk with the arcanist? If yes, what was the outcome?
    Also 50 gp for everyone. What is tally from the sales of the other stuff?

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Cipriano's Heal check:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As far as you can tell, Vachedi seems to be fine... Seems to be.

Sheriff Hemlock snorts at Rico's explanation, looking unimpressed as she leaves to change into her uniform. Nevertheless, he rises to his feet and shoulders his way past his troopers until he stands before all of you. Like all of Shoanti blood, Belor Hemlock is broad of shoulder with a full head of dark hair despite being well into middle-age, no weakness in his gaze or chin.

"I am familiar with Father Verneti and Miss Allin. And Master Kaijitsu, to some extent. Who are you two?" He addresses Sirus and Setsuna, blunt and to the point.

Behind the Sheriff, Hannah's eyes widen at the sight of the pies and she grins, elbowing Lyardin. "Ooh, lookit that. Why so generous, Rico?"
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-02-27 at 09:33 AM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Rico grumbles under her breath of "paperwork" and leans down to Hannah's level and frowns, saying slowly, "'Acause I knows that night shift an' graveyard are the worster shifts, an' y'all'd had a harder time of't given lassnigh's clusterfrak. And was sure that y'all'd be pullin' extra duties today, won't be able to slink off to the mess... Hellsteeth. Hunger, thirst, sleep... these are some of a warrior's most persissen' foes. What if these gobbs tried a breakout or summa their buddies attack again an' y'all are weavin' on yer feet from hunger, hmm?"

Spoiler
    Show

Is she just teasing or is there some other implication?
    Sense Motive! (1d20+1)[8]

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Rico

Sense Motive check:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hannah appears to be joking. Then again, Hannah's terrible at making jokes.

Hannah gives your arm a friendly punch. "We'd prob'ly get just about a mouthful each with that lot," she says laughingly. "'less it's first come first serve. Oughta save one whole pie for Vachedi though. Poor man. Got scritched by one of those idiots outside. Damn that Hosk - since he put out word that he'd pay five gold a pair for gobbo ears to tack up at his stables, those lot showed up outside and won't go away."

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

During the exchange between the overworked Sheriff and Rico, Sirus has been standing still, looking ahead in his usual blank way, eyes held clasped in front of him. When the Sheriff addresses him, he is ready.

Here we are.

"I am Sirus Scarletti. Of Taldan. A. Visitor. For the festival. I had some. Close and decisive. Encounters. With many of your. Prisoners. And I believe. This is the reason. I have. Some information. To impart. If it hasn' t. Already. Been shared. By Trooper Rico."

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

"I noticed", Cipriano spoke up when Hannah mentioned Vachedi's arm. "Seems you managed t' bandage th' wound well enough. Bravo for that. Send him my way later today, in any case. Goblins an' their pets carry all kinds of diseases, and I'd like to make sure the wound doesn't grow infected. Same goes for anyone who's bitten or clawed."

He then looked at the hat Rico tossed at him - and a smile crept up on the young man's face. "I think I need to change this", he said, tapping the Sarenite angel on the buckle before slowly placing the hat on his head. "But other than that... it's the most intimidating piece of headgear I've ever had. Thank you", he said, his smile rising into an overconfident grin as he did his best dramatic stare from underneath the wide brim.
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2013-02-27 at 11:48 AM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Miss Allin? Who is, her answer is given before the thought finishes however, noticing Red's reaction to the name, I wonder if she's trying to abandon her name too? Perhaps it has something to do with what I heard yesterday...

Setsuna give a slight bow in response to Hemlock's inquiry, "I am Setsuna, a...traveler from Minkai. I attempted to aid in repelling the goblin assault, and wish to help ensure that it does not happen again. With the Watch's permission, I shall assist Rico-san in finding the one responsible for the attack and bring them to justice."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy roll, let's hope I roll above 4 this time (1d20+7)[18](+1?)

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

"Still, I wouldn't mind giving th' folks outside an earful... Goin' and cuttin' a member of th' town guard when th' town's just survived an attack. That's just low", the young cleric muttered.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Next to Hannah, gangly Lyardin shrugs his bony shoulders resignedly in response to Cipirano. "Folks is greedy. They see it as a chance to make some quick cash while feeling better 'bout having beaten the goblins. Frankly, we're gonna have to kill them all later on, but eitherways, I still ain't 'clined to let 'em have the ears. That's just croo-el."

Meanwhile, Sheriff Hemlock nods gravely at Sirus and Setsuna's introductions, giving a low grunt of satisfaction. "Yes, I've been appraised of the details, Mister Scarletti. Fair enough. If Constable Rico's spoken for you both, I suppose that'll have to do for now. Know that I am Belor Hemlock and that I am Sheriff of this here town. If you're going to be helping out, you answer to Rico, and Rico answers to me. It's been a while since we've had adventuring sorts helping out the watch - not since Miss Kaijitsu came back home - but as you can tell..." He gestures towards the messy office. "We're shorthanded right now. I've got most of the militia out combing the countryside for signs of goblins and double the patrols in town. Anything you lot can lend a hand to, you'd have my personal thanks for it. And I won't forget it too."

Picking up the gear, he returns them to Rico, a faint gleam of amusement in his eyes. "Hells no. Gesture appreciated, but Horst'll have to fix his own armour, same as the rest of us. You know as well as I do that if you lend those to Horst, you'll never see 'em again."

"Anyway," Hemlock coughs, picking up a piece of paper off Halast's desk. "Yes. Paperwork for you later, Rico. But right now, you're gonna have to pop down to the cathedral right away. Father Zantus reported to Hannah just now... what was it, some sort of illegal entry?"

Hemlock's brow wrinkles as he glances over at Hannah, who confirms his guess with a nod. "Illegal entry. Breaking and entering. Right. Something that Miss Allin, no doubt, is intimately familiar with. The Father insists that I send someone down to investigate right away, and since the only trooper left without something to do was you..." The Sheriff flashes a shark-like grin. "Constable Rico. I assign you this investigation. Find out what's going on up at the cathedral."

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

"---thuh frak?" Rico mutters in disbelief, knuckles crackling. She jerks her head towards the herd of morons squatting outside and asks of Hemlock, "Sir. What's yer orders on... tolerance level... at how we'll be dispersing them friggers? At least one should be Guilty of Assault on an Officer and the rest would be Guilty as accomplices thereof. Maximum tolerance, draconian measures or somewhere in between?"

Rico scowls at Lyardin's words and merely mutters, "Indeed."

The building wrath bleeds off momentarily as she nods at Cipriano. "Agreed. We're droppin' by Valerin, Hannah's later on. Could get some herbs to help with that..."

"---THAH SKUGG! Bodkinsbastard!" she snaps, then huffs. "Ack! Ah... Sorry 'bout that. Just... on loan, aright? Can't wear that when I've me duty-helm on. Couldn't slap't on Setsuna, might burn up. Ironballs there probberly can magick up his own hat. Would prob'ly get in the way of Red's an' Sirus' work." Rico flashes a brief smirk and says, "Yer the spare head."

She frowns and utters a half-snort, half-sigh. "Tha's been with me fer... a frig-long time. Hell, kept flopping all over me head when a younger Mi Capitan, eheh, I mean, Cap' Hemlock took me off the docks. Long story. Over Sla--- er... koff... TEA."

Sighing and shaking her head, she takes the hauburgeon back, snaps a salute. "Sir. Yessir. Movin' out."
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2013-02-27 at 12:10 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

"By the by," volunteers Halast brightly from behind his desk. "I don't s'pose that now we've got six more temp'ry officers, that you all could get rid of that bunch out front? Nice and official-like? I'd go but.. er- didn't work just now." He glances meaningfully at the snoring Vachedi.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show