New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

GM post

Rico and Cipriano

Dagmar tilts his head forward in assent. "Aye. We didn't hardly have time to notice nothing 'fore them goblins set on us. Truth be told... we weren't expecting anything to be going on. So me and Voss were just walking and... y'know. Horsing around. Talking piss. We only saw the open gate, didn't have time to think," he admits with some embarrassment, biting the edge of his lip. "Didn't see hide nor hair of anything 'cept gobs. Just the old plank on the ground... Say Rico. You gonna tell the boss on us?"

As Cipriano checks Voss's injuries, the half-elf begins to breath a little easier, but does not stir.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-02-14 at 12:02 PM.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Idiots! Incompetents! Laggards! Whorseon bastard pig-frakking fire-crapping worthless morons! We are DAH LAAAAAW! DAH LAAAAW must NOT fail! You failed! If those goblins were that bit more competent and kept their heads on and got to burning and killing rather than stopping to loot and stuff themselves, we'd be in ass-much bigger trouble. More casualties, assuredly. FRAK the lot of it. ARRRRRRRRGGGGH!

Rico's tusked jaw drops and champs but no speech comes forth. Her hands spasm in wordless rage. Her chest heaves as she takes in a deep breath...

...and then lets it back out in a long huff. She turns her face away.

"Did you at least FIGHT?" When she looks back at him, it is with rage distilled into resigned sadness. "As of now, we ain't yet sure if we got 'em all. Hope we did. 'Cept Hannah's runner. Can yeh imagine what woulda happ'd if these gobs weren't distracted? Weren't horsing around? More than just a coupla fires, more than just a handful dead.

And... just HOW horsing around were y'all?"

Rico snarls, "ALWAYS assume the worse, because there could ALWAYS be worse. Yer a gaddem warrior. Yer on GUARD. A guard guards. It's boring as hell ninety-nine times outta a 'undred, but NEVER fail when something actually happens. Ye don't fail just yerself or me or the sarge or the chief. Ye fail yer family, ye fail yer home, ye fail Sandpoint."

Her hand snatches a nearby broken piece of smouldering timber and slams it against the cobbles, sparks bursting into the darkening night. "Burning. Screaming. Can you feel that? Home, HOME, dying. Dying."

She scowls sadly and says in a dull voice, "Dereliction of duty resulting in public panic and disorder, arson, destruction of public property, theft, vandalism, assault and battery of as yet unreckoned individuals, attempted murder of law enforcers, probably a few murders of common citizenry.Wonder if I missed anything. The verdict: Guilty. Sentence... for the chief to decide."

"Arrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhh..." she groans and asks with a disgusted, despairing look in her eyes. "DID you at least FIGHT? Please tell me you fought."

One hand rakes like a claw through her hair. "Believe me, I don't want to bring the hammer down on y'all. DID? YOU? FIGHT? THEM?"

Frowning deeply and keeping on supporting the stricken Voss, Rico looks up at Cipriano and asks, "What's the deal with this guy, Fox? Need a pillow? A stretcher? What do I do?"
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

The Caydenite cleric frowned as he studied Voss. He was certain there were no injuries left, not ones that could explain why the man was still unconscious.

Unless...

"I'm worried. He should have woken up by now. It's possible that the goblin who put him down was using woodspider venom. Very powerful, very lethal. Luckily for him, I know the cure for that."

With that, Cipriano moved over to the small fire and picked up a piece of burning wood. From his belt he removed a small, unremarkable pouch. "Old Varisian remedy my grandmother taught me. We have to act fast. Unfortunately, the only way to administer the medicine is... ahem... rectally. Please, remove his pants while I prepare the substance. Quickly now, he's been out cold so long we can't wait for the stick to cool down. We'll have to use it hot."

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check! (1d20+7)[15]
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

"HRRHMM. As ye say, priest." says Rico concernedly as she viciously ruthlessly quickly efficiently rips his pants off. "Ye know how ta mend things, I know 'ow ta break 'em."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

"Excellent. Now, flip him on his belly and... um... take a hold of his cheeks. The lower ones. You... Dagmar, was it? Spread his legs and hold them, this might burn a little..."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Rico and Cipriano

"Of course we fought back!" says Dagmar hotly, his blue eyes staring at Rico with indignant rage. "Wot, you think I just lay back and let them poke holes all over me and clubber me on the noggin? This is my home too. I ain't about to just let gobs run in and do as they please."

"'Sides," he mutters ruefully, "Wasn't like I was skiving or nothing. Just having a jaw with Voss about the Vinder girls and which one had the bigger ti-, er, the more prosperous figure. Voss said 'twas Katrine, so I threatened to knock some eyes into him with me trucheon. And I chased him up the road and that's when we saw the gate... I mean, come on! Was all harmless fun." Dagmar looks to Cipriano at this point, silently pleading for some brotherly support.

Voss' Sense Motive check:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[10]

At the very last second, with a jerk of the limbs, Voss' eyes fly open and he frantically bats at Rico's arms in a somewhat futile attempt to pull his pants back on. "No! I'm better! I'm better! Geez, priest-man. Up the bum? Have a heart," he says accusingly.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-02-14 at 12:25 PM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

"But it's effective, isn't it? I didn't even to have to give it to you, and already you're up", Cipriano answered the horrified half-elf with a grin before tossing the piece of wood back in the flames. "Rico... he's all yours."

"And don't look at me, friend", he continued, looking at Dagmar. "I'm all for debating the merits of various sizes of bosoms, but not at the expense of getting the job done. But... you said you chased Voss down the road and then saw that the gate was open. Was there someone else who was supposed to be on gatehouse duty today?"

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

She spits as Voss scrambles back and away.

Rico then bends down and using her left hand--- the same bloodstained, scorched, bandaged, brandy-reeking, re-scorched hand attached to a wounded arm clad in a ripped sleeve--- and grabs him by the tabard and brings him close in a grim parody of a lover's embrace. She smears his face with the goblin-blood and goblin-brains that had spattered up at her jutting jaw when she'd claimed those two table-kills.

"At least you were valiant against speedy, stealthy, swarming assault and weren't a coward who had to wait fer an arse-poker until he stirred. By rights I should, but I will only tell what needs be told--- you did what you could."

Abruptly, she lets him go and says, "Yeah, wot 'e said. Fer the luckieth time... Y'all arrived here an' 'twas already wide open? And y'all had been SURE ye'd locked the gate after the last travelers'd come in?"

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Rico and Cipriano

"Yes, we did lock the gate. I checked it myself before the festival got started. Said hello to your little redhead friend while I was at it. The bar was most definitely in place."

You both turn to behold Rico's boss - Sheriff Belor Hemlock - walking unhurriedly towards your group with a certain grim stolidness, his chainmail still gleaming where goblin blood hasn't splattered it. Just behind him, you recognise Hannah, who is supporting an exhausted looking Father Zantus. The good priest has had part of his beard scorched off, making him look uncharacteristically frazzled.

Setsuna and Sirus and Mandraiv and Red (but this is pretty much a Setsuna only post)

Setsuna detects with Detect Thoughts...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 1: There are thoughts in the area. Oh yes, there are.

Round 2: Number of thinking minds - 1 half-orc, 2 humans, 2 goblins. The last goblin is still passed out from Sirus' fists.
    Sirus: INT 10
    Mandraiv: INT 20
    Red: INT 8
    Goblin Commando: INT 8
    Goblin Warrior: INT 10

Round 3: Will Saves for DC 15
    Sirus: (1d20+7)[20] - passed
    Mandraiv: Player chooses to deliberately not roll the Save.
    Red: (1d20+3)[8] - failed
    Goblin Commando: (1d20+2)[12] - failed
    Goblin Warrior: (1d20-1)[2] - failed

Breathing out, you empty your mind, pushing away distraction and silencing the clamour of your own body, immersing yourself into the deluge of thoughts around you...

Closest to you, one of the trussed up goblin prisoners moans and tries to wriggle out of the ropes binding it. Its mind is a tangled chattering mess of fear and hunger that almost overwhelms you at first, all dark warrens and cold stone and words in a guttural language that you do not understand, the whole lot swirling in a dizzying storm. You don't need to understand Goblin to realise that the creature is terrified out of its mind and is barely thinking straight.

The mind of the half-orc pugilist, on the other hand, is shut to you. Try as you might, there is no prying into this mind - it is closed, severe and inexorable as the teeth of a tempered steel trap.

Mandraiv notices you and tries to identify what you're doing...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft check: (1d20+5)[21] for DC 17 - passed. Mandraiv knows that Setsuna is using Detect Thoughts on him.

You observe the young mage, the Kaijitsu relation, turn towards you and meet your gaze as you direct your focus towards him, a look of what appears to be faint amusement on his face. His thoughts flow freely, without obstruction, leaving your skin tingling as they wash over you - tingling with what, you're not sure.

1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, nice trick, 13, 21, 34, 55, brains, beauty, and mind-reading, 89, 144, 233, sexy combination, 377, 610, 987...

Even from where you are, you can sense the heat of Red's waning anger, a sudden welling of guilt - hands burning with blood that was hers, a blade slick with blood that wasn't, the chatter of knives in the dark, and always, always, the stink of fear and a thousand faces twisted in terror. His words - mine? No, I will not- The cold bite of the belt buckle, the choked animal whimpering, her heart pounding in her chest, a man with narrowed eyes standing over a woman who won't stop screaming...

By comparison, the goblin commando's mind, honed by cowardice and fear of what Sirus and Mandraiv might do to it, is like mountain water, visible right to the bottom. Buffeted by the odd Goblin utterance, the warrens and stone that you briefly saw earlier on in the goblin warrior's mind coalesce into clear images of fortified rooms, hard-packed earth burrows, and dried leaf nests. Of particular interest to you is a fleeting memory of what appears to be a tribal council of sorts, with goblins packed cheek to jowl into a large gathering space filled with smoke, being addressed by a tiny goblin who stands atop a gleaming horse skull. In the shadows by the tiny goblin, there is someone who is clearly not a goblin - all you catch before the image fades, however, is that this someone is tall and slender, with long hair tied back in a ponytail.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

The arrival of the sheriff and the priest made Cipriano instinctively jump up from where he was kneeling. He had always been a tad uneasy when it came to authority figures, and somehow he got the impression that this Shoanti lawman might not be as easily persuaded as Rico if they locked horns on some matter. Some people didn't need his "Varisian remedy"; they were born with a stick up their ass...

The sight of Father Zantus, however, turned the young cleric's weariness to worry. They were of different faiths, him and this town cleric... but they were still brothers in their professions. "Brother, are you well?" the armored young cleric asked as he strode past the sheriff to help the older priest. "Are you in need of healing?"

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

As the goblin is still gibbering in his grasp, Sirus feels something stir inside his skull. A strange, alien feeling, like someone trying to peek inside a darkened room which is sealed. But the feeling passes. Sirus takes a look at the chanting mage. A deep, meaningful, laden look, full of steel and warning. He then turns back to the goblin.

"You. Are. Very close. To. Being hurt. Very close. Speak."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Hearing the wizard's comments, Setsuna can't help but give a sheepish grin which doesn't fade as she gets nothing from the pugilist, but disappears as she hears and sees into Red's mind, quickly replaced by concern for the girl and the anguish she's in, how can she keep all of that so bottled up? There's just so much, it's making me want to break down just hearing it...

With a quick shake of the head, she redoubles her efforts on the goblin commando, worry about that later, I need to see...there, that one. The shadowy figure fresh in her mind, but not detailed enough to be useful, she approaches the goblin and does her best to hide her hatred for him and his kind and give off a calm, reassuring appearance.

"Now, now, there is no need to be afraid little one, it is enough that you try as hard as you can. I know you were at a meeting with others of your kind not long ago. There was someone who was not one of you there. If this was their plan, then clearly they have betrayed you and your kin. We can offer you vengeance, for the betrayal and your dead tribesmen, if you can remember their face. What did this person look like?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff to not look murderous (1d20+2)[16]
    Diplomacy to get the goblin to try and think rather than just squirm (1d20+7)[15] (I'm assuming there's no attraction on the goblins' end, so didn't include the +1 from Alluring)

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

My? MY?! My---! What in Desna's damnation are you implyi--- wait. He meant nothing by that. No, nothing at all. Plain as a grox' nose. Of course Red's my friend, what else could she be? ARGH! That conniving lechering weakling coward Voss, just leaning on me silent as a snake and NOT! DELIVERING! A! REPORT!Argh! Oh, wait, maybe not, maybe he was afraid I'd tear his throat out? BAAAAAAAH! Ahhhhh wanna KEELHAUL heeeeeem... wait. No, no, no. Frak no, argh. Still need ta get back at--- fiiiiiiist iiiiiiiiiin faaaaaaace--- him. Eh? Grr, grumble... Hmm! He could sub in and do a triple paperwork shift? Appropriate punishment enough, especially since he'd be barred from field-work with that injury-status...

Rico nods in acknowledgement of Dagmar's report, then suddenly stands to attention when Hemlock strides into view. Without conscious thought, she snaps a salute and barks, "Captain on deck! Sir! Concerned-and-capable citizen, reporting! Was... relaxing at Ameiko's, AS ordered. With 'hunter Red. Responded to and repressed goblin raiders at Ameiko's, cathedral plaza, afront the White Deer... enemy body count estimated to a dozen, more or less. Sorry for inexact count, sir. Heat of battle. With aid from certain other concerned-and-capable travelers. Captured some gobs, held for interrogation. Proceeded here when we saw the nor'gate ajar."

"Sir" she closes, steps back and looks at Voss and Dagmar meaningfully, hoping they'd follow through and complete their report. Truthfully.
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2013-02-15 at 05:13 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Rico and Cipriano

Father Zantus waves Cipriano away with a good-natured grin. "I'm all right, young man, thank you. Just a little weary after all that running around and blasting and healing. Phew! I didn't know goblins liked fire that much - one of 'em got a little too close, as you can see, but thank Desna, we came through pretty well." he says, indicating his frizzy beard and making a comic grimace. The man is clearly on his last legs, but such is his dedication to the town that he won't rest until he's sure that everyone else is Sandpoint is all right.

"Come now, Hannah was just telling me on the way here that we had you and these others to thank for chasing the goblins off? " He says warmly, clapping Cipriano on the shoulder. "That's mighty decent of you, especially since you don't seem to be from around here. I owe you my thanks, chosen of the Lucky Drunk. Indeed, it is luck that you were here today. You and your companions - you've saved my home and this town."

Meanwhile, Sheriff Hemlock listens in grave silence as Dagmar and Voss give their reports, sheer embarrassment and respect for their leader freeing their tongues to admit that they'd been up to tomfoolery when they'd discovered the open gate.

"I see," he says, folding his meaty arms, his face inscrutable as he passes an eye over his two battered watchmen. "You two are probably in a lot of trouble. Now, I say probably, because I'm still not done asking questions yet. I'll let you know how much once I'm done. But for the moment, I suppose you two varmints could afford to get patched up by Father Zantus back there. Get yourselves back to the station once you're capable of walking. There's work yet to be done this day. Oh, and Constable Voss?"

"Sir?" asks the half-elf nervously, unsure of what singular torment he could be in for.

"Put some pants on." Hemlock doesn't bat an eyelid, his voice flat and his flinty gaze as unyielding as the noon sun. "Your bare and hairy bottom is not only extremely unbecoming, it is doing absolutely nothing to improve your situation right now. You know the regulations about being improperly attired while on duty."

"Sir, yessir," mutters Voss, bowing his head and bunching up his trousers around his crotch as he tries to pull his tangled clothing up as fast as he can.

Hemlock finally turns towards Rico, lifting his brows in mild amusement at her sooty and bloodied form. "Miss Rico. For a constable who's not supposed to be on duty, you've been hauling a lot of ass in the past half hour," he says evenly, though the corners of his eyes crinkle with laughter. "I have it from no less than fifteen witnesses that you were seen happily mowing down goblins with one of Miss Kaijitsu's festival tables in the town square. Where is that table right now, may I ask?"

Setsuna and Sirus and Mandraiv and Red

Goblin Commando's Sense Motive check:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[5] - utterly, utterly, failed!

The goblin commando has regained its sight by now and it squints up at Setsuna, absolutely astonished that one of the 'longshanks' is bothering to parley nicely with it. At first it hesitates, baring its yellowed teeth and muttering indistinctly to itself in its own language. But once Sirus renews his threat, it immediately cringes, flattening its ears against its skull before hissing in a low scratchy voice.

"Ssss. Paleskin. Grsh. 'adda big bow. Dressed grrreen," it growls, fidgeting under Red's knee before daring to peek up at Setsuna again, something in its glowing orange eyes changing as it catches sight of her face. "Ooh, yesh," the goblin purrs with relish. "Now I re'ember. Was a pinty-ear longshank. Just like yers. 'Cept longer."

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

Red keeps her knee firmly planted on the goblin's skinny chest, only half-listening to what was going on. Recalling her father and what he'd done always made her feel a little sick on the inside. And now, to top things off, her head feels weird too. Hollow, almost - like someone had opened it up and scraped the insides out.

Gritting her teeth, she forces herself to pay attention, making sure her kukri stays poised above the goblin's throat, just in case it tries any funny business. This was no time to be thinking about the past. You couldn't change that. Live in the present, Rathi had always said.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-02-15 at 05:45 AM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus takes in the new information. So. Someone probably from the town. Someone not human. Someone who had a bow. The list would not be that big. Someone whose ears are pointed and big. Thus, not one of the Duruk-hai.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Half orcs

And even a goblin would recognize an elf. A half elf. Interesting.

"One more. Question. The long eared pinkskin. Was it male? Or female? Answer!"

Spoiler
    Show

I am going here with the assumption that the ear thing follows Golarion, where elves have really big ears. And that among humanoid species, males and females are generally recognizable.

After that, Sirus will go and question the warchanter (it is alive, no?) after looting everything in sight.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Still holding the salute, eyes wide front, Rico replies, "Sir. Table's at somewhere atwixt Ameiko's an' the White Stag. Unfortunately broken. Made a good enough shield-n-club while't lasted. Yessir, I plead Guilty to one count of Vigilantism; plead for leniency on accounta' Extenuatin' Circumstanceses an' Civic Defense Duty. Sir."

Her face twitches and she juts her chin back towards the vague direction of the town plaza. "Forgot, sir--- Red an' I 'elped put out one of the fuel wagons near the armoury-n-smithy. Was set ablaze by them gobs. Unsure if primary attack or attack of opportunity."

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

"Brother, doesn't The Song of the Spheres frown upon lying?" Cipriano couldn't help but ask with a smile as he helped the older cleric find somewhere to sit for a moment. "I insist. I have expended my more powerful spells fighting goblins, but this much I can still do." Not waiting for any excuses, the young man opened the walls of his soul again, allowing another wave of Cayden Cailean's strength rush through those around him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Channel Energy (1d6)[4] Don't worry, I've still got two charges left. Besides, this way Voss and Dagmar can get to shoveling crap that much faster

Once the moment had passed, Cipriano sighed deeply. "There... As for the goblins, I can say no more than I only stood back and tried to be of service. Miss Rico here, for example, would have made Cayden himself roar with approval, using a table as a massive flail. I'm sure the stains'll come off when it rains. Besides, it will make a good story when we hold service tonight with mead and wine. If you don't disapprove of me hanging the Placard of Wisdom here in Sandpoint for a few days", he couldn't help but laugh a little as he mentioned the traditional way of setting up a shrine of the Lucky Drunk: writing the few lines of the Caydenite holy text on a piece of paper and pinning it on the wall of an inn with a knife. If he would stay for a longer while, he would have the same text carved into an actual wooden placard.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Setsuna shoots Red a worried glance before shifting her eyes to Sirus, I hope he doesn't overdo it, you can kill the damned thing once we get more information, but for now we need it talking not cowering, and then returning her gaze to the goblin, "Answer his question please, we can not track down this betrayer if that is all we have to go on. It would be a shame if they got away with betraying your tribe like this, you do not want that, do you?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+7)[23]
    Int check to commit the mental image of the half-elf(?) to memory (1d20+3)[12]

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Cipriano

Cipriano channels energy, everyone below maximum health within range gets 4 HP.

Father Zantus has a surprisingly hearty laugh for a man of his thin build. He stands a little taller as the wave of divine energy gives him a fresh burst of energy. "Thank'ee, that did a spot of good" he says cheerfully, rubbing the back of his neck. "And please, don't worry about conducting worship of the Lucky Drunk at any of the taverns! Though I do believe that Lady Ameiko would be more than happy to host you for that. We get along here when it comes to the gods - that's why the chapel's meant for the worship of more than one. If you do ever want a more formal spot for a service, the chapel's open to you any time."

"By the way, I don't believe I caught your name just now...?"

Rico

"Vigilantism?" Hemlock's grim face splits in a wolfish grin. "I'm not sure that's applicable in the middle of an invasion of the town. I don't want to be arresting you, now, Rico - the cells will be full of goblins in a bit and I want them all alive. So unless you're feeling like cosying up with them tonight, you're fine. Just another citizen doing what needed to be done to save the town, and a mighty fine job you did too. Though I do expect you to apologise to Miss Kaijitsu and make good on the cost of that table, hear?"

Upon hearing about the burning fuel cart though, his expression immediately reverts to its usual gruff scowl. "Hmph. That's the third one I've heard about. Something is definitely afoot. Perhaps I'll have to call you back to active duty sooner that I'd hoped, despite my better judgement... I'll have to get another man on it right away.." Hemlock sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose, shaking his head. "In the meanwhile though, I don't suppose you'd be willing to help your local Wotch get all goblin POWs down to the garrison for detainment and further questioning? In your capacity as a helpful citizen?"

Setsuna and Sirus and Mandraiv and Red

Sense Motive rolls from OOC thread:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mandraiv: (1d20-1)[4]
    Sirus: (1d20+9)[18]
    Setsuna: (1d20-1)[6]

As far as any of you can tell, the goblin commando seems to be telling the truth - it is much too afraid of Sirus to do otherwise, doing its best to avoid his gaze and flinching every time he opens his mouth. Gnashing its teeth, it growls and gibbers and strains at its bonds.

"I dunno, boss!" The goblin sputters, squirming away. "'e dint smell proper - smelt like both. 'ad long 'air. Real long shanks. Could see in t'dark wit no fire. Spoke like us easy. Shoulda known- kint trust no longshanks to look out fer goblins."
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-02-16 at 06:59 AM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

"Brother Cipriano Verneti, of the Sanctified Alehouse of the Accidental God in Magnimar, at your service", the young man introduced himself with all the panache of a cosmopolitan cleric - and he still managed to keep that rakish grin on his face the whole time.

"And thank you for the advice, I will see Lady Ameiko about renting a room and a table for a while. That would be the... Rusty Dragon Inn, no? As for the chapel... I appreciate the offer, but I fear some of the more conservative residents of Sandpoint might not take the usual services of the Lucky Drunk too kindly. Something about us being too rowdy. But should I decide to stay here for the long term, I'll take you up on that offer when the feast of the First Brewing nears."

"But all this we can discuss at a later date", Cipriano suddenly grew more serious. "When Rico is ready, we intend to join our comrades-in-arms on the town square, where they are guarding and hopefully interrogating prisoners. We oughta find out soon enough what's going on. This kind of attack... it seems awfully brazen, even for a bunch of crazy arsonists that is the goblinkind. In broad daylight, and when the guard is already watchful due to celebrations? My mentor spoke of goblins as an inherently cowardly race that preferred to attack in the dead of the night. Never like this."
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2013-02-16 at 06:19 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

Red almost rolled her eyes in frustration. That lousy stinking goblin - it made no sense. How on earth could it not know whether the elf was male or female? She'd heard drunken tavern jokes that had said the same thing, but to hear that same drivel out of a goblin's foul maw? Damned useless thing. Maybe it was just saying what it thought the pugilist wanted to hear.

At least the weird feeling in her head had vanished. Maybe that had something to do with all this running around after so much beer and mead. Glaring sourly at the goblin commando, she gets up and dusts off her pants where the cloth made contact with it. There was no use in threatening such a pathetic creature any more. Not if it was going to be like this.

Red nods curtly at Sirus - it's all yours - before walking over to the rain barrel that the crazy man had been hiding behind earlier on. (She hadn't noticed when he'd vanished, nor did she care very much.) Prying off the lid, she skims a handful of water off the top and splashes the lot on her face, closing her eyes in bliss as she lets the cold water run down her forehead and cheeks, dripping onto her armour and soaking into her shirt collar.

It's been thirteen years already. Just let it go...

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

"Sir, yessir" Rico replies, her thick lips twitching in a grin that mirrors that of her commanding officer. "Drop by sar Battlehorn's, then. Not to worry, wun't be too much carpentry. A board, a stem and feet. How hard cu't be? Wun't be the same thing, but 'twill do the job, methinks. Oh, and sir? I suggest a change of armament in the Wotch. At the least let crossbows be standard issue, as well as shields and scale mail. Voss an' Dagmar 'ere fought, aye, but were borne down by yon swarmin' horde. And bugle-horns or somesuch. Sir."

Finally letting her hand down, she stretches, then strides over, retrieves her greatsword and gropes around for a handy rag, but finds that her pockets' store of spare ragcloth had run out. Shrugging and sneering as she does so, she cuts a swatch from the side of her skirt, wets part of it from a nearby barrel and sets to cleaning her sword with it while walking back to the White Deer.

Yes, yes, yessssss, Red. Practicality, eh? Huh. Well. You DID say everything'd be alright... so I came in my relaxingest civvie-wear... Hmph. Relaxed yet still wearing armour? Baaaackup armour, ye wanker. Which -did- save yer arse a coupla times, there. Wasswrawngwitme? PFFT. Frak you, it's ALIVE wot matters. Not that it matters all that much with how, DAMN, those folk were fast. And GOOD. 'Specially that Sirus an' that Setsuna. Ask to be taught? Maybe. We'll see. When time permits? Grr, thassanutha' visit to Mila's. Yaaaaaack. Could I ask you to go in my stea--- no. No, no. Frak me, that's cowardly.

Yeah, yeah. That's one thing you an' Il Maestro agree on... Pff. Maestro? Yer dead, so shut yer friggen trap, eh? I'll wear wot I damn well please an' ye ain't my father. Hell, I wen...

Hrrrrnnnggh.

Bah!

Hearing Cipriano, she nods with a scowl and says, "Dass right. 'Sgotta be summin' deeper. They be used as pawns by some schemin' mastermind, or me father's an elf."
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2013-02-16 at 10:09 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

"And the sooner we find out who's pulling the proverbial strings, the better", Cipriano added to Rico's assessment as he stood up. Once again he tied his god's holy symbol around his neck, leaving the frothing ale mug carved on oak resting comfortingly against his chest. "If there's nothing else to be done here, we oughta be off. Those goblins can be a handful, bound or not."

"Besides, the sooner we get done here, the sooner we can all gather at the inn for some drinks. First round's on me, Rico."

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

"Of course." Rico replies tersely and leads the way back. She snorts and says, "Handful nuthin'. Tied 'em all in a bundle, deddent I? Clobber 'em again, haul the whole lot o'er one shoulder, then haul off to the gaol, then..."

Amber eyes blink and her lips work but no words come forth. She then breathes, "...I'm off-duty, technically!" Her right hand shoots out and gives Cipriano an iron-gripped affectionate shaking. "No paperwork!"

Still walking, she lets go of him as the implications further sink in. "No form-filing, no criminal archives, no property damage tallies, no evidence-ledgers... no friggen paperwork... I..."

"Desna's damnation!" she ruefully swears. "Why do I feel friggen mixed about that? It's a RELIEF not to do paperwork, yet..." she shakes her head and lets her words trail off.

One thick brow rises at Cipriano's last remark, "Huh? That's... part of yer duty, I take it? Giving first rounds?"
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2013-02-16 at 10:33 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano was somewhat surprised by the half-orc's mutterings about procedure, but he thought it best not to start asking questions. He had already had a taste of Rico's sense of duty, back when she had clobbered him down when running away from the angry father and his pitchfork.

Instead, he chose to laugh at the half-orc's remark about duty. "My pleasure and my duty. Cayden Cailean considers such offers the first part of any decent ceremony in his name. But don't tell me you would refuse a beer or three after all this?"

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Flabbergasted, she appears
    Across her broad face flit
    Gratitude and gladness
    Guilt and unnamed fears
    But smiles at blessing of beers
    And clouts him again with a cheer
    "HAH-HAAAARRR! Amen to that."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus nods as the goblin talks. So. It was either an elf or more probably a half elf. That would be enough. Sirus, without a second glance, gets up and starts to half move, half drags the goblins where the original prisoners were. As he does so, he turns to Red, face still stony. With a nod, he indicates his intentions. Not ordering, not asking, just declaring.

Spoiler
    Show
    Your move Red

When all the prisoners are secured, with or without Red 's help, Sirus proceeds to systematically search the bodies of all foes, alive or dead. Again, he will wait for Red after his intentions are clear. All his actions are clearly visible, showing without a doubt that he intents them to be public.

"Strange female, this Red. Courageous but undisciplined. Too quick. Driven by something. She has good reactions, though"

After that is done, he will patiently wait for the human cleric and the half-orcess to return. It was imperative that someone of authority was notified.

Spoiler
    Show
    After the looting, ready to proceed! Sirus will make sure that prisoners are delivered to someone with authority before he goes on though.

Reactions to Red forthcoming, depending in her actions

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

Replacing the lid of the rain barrel, Red turns to see the strange pugilist jerk his head towards the goblin prisoners. She looks quizzically at him for a good few seconds before she realises that he probably wants some help in getting them back to the town square. So much for keeping goblin smell off her clothes then. She'd have to take a shower later. Hopefully none of the inns had burned down in the meanwhile.

Red obliges and picks up the two goblin warriors easily by the scruff of their necks, trailing the pugilist back to the square. She'd hung out with Rico and other sell-swords long enough to recognise the signs of orc-blood in the pugilist, despite his bearing. But it was funny how different he was from the rest of them. He didn't carry any weapons that she could see. Maybe he didn't need any weapons.

"... You are scary," she remarks, a faint wry smile on her face as she catches up with him.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mandraiv walks back to the square, a little tired, but glad the fighting's mostly over. He calls to the others he fought with, "I'll be at the tavern. Let's see if I can't get my cousin to crack open the good stuff."