New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 74 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (PF) Rise of the Runelords: Burnt Offerings IC

Setsuna

Setsuna smirks at Sirus' comment, Mrs.? do I look wed? "Please, all of you, just 'Setsuna' will be fine. We have all fought together, that is enough to dispense with formalities. And unfortunately, I do not, I exhausted my changes of clothes months ago. My sarashi will return in the morning however, so there is no need to cheat a merchant out of coin," adding silently, I've endured this long, I can last a little longer until I can be properly dressed without harming anyone's livelihood, "let us just be off. I think all of us could use a good meal and a bath to get the stench of goblin off..."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

"Unlawful intimidation, least sentence, indentured service, one fortnight." Rico recites and then nods as she intones as she leans on the doorframe, "Sometimes, 'tdepends on who ye be an' where yer come from. Some folk... Holds true fer some folk that 'The blood betwixt comrades is thicker than the water of the womb'."

Hand massaging her temple, she walks back, takes another parchment and scratches out,

To: Sheriff Hemlock
    Subject: Report and Request/s and Recommendation/s
    On: 22 Rova, 4707

Mi Capitan, I trust all is well?

Please check with Halast and Nim for the preliminary paperwork on today's unfortunate incident of a goblin raid and suspected traitor. The goblin POWs have been clapped in irons as of last count under Vachedi's care, awaiting more extensive interrogation and summary execution.

Hereby request permission to be fully reinstated, allowed full access to armouries and archives, as well as access to the prisoners. Sir. I let Il Maestro symbolically rejoin his family with a burial at sea, as per his will. I feel that he would not have wanted me to be sitting idle.

In line with that, I hereby ask your veteran opinion--- Of Sandpoint's elfbloods, who do you think, objectively, has motive, means and opportunity to have perpetrated this atrocity? At least for the time being if not as a permanent measure depending on how the situation develops, I recommend as well that the Watch's members be doubled or tripled for security's sake. I recommend as well that we upgrade standard issue armament--- up to scale or chain from the current leathers; replace the halberds with shields and spears and issue bows and crossbows. We should have as well a dedicated special response group--- good fighters, fast runners, able riders to be able to more quickly and efficiently put down such threats when they come. Maybe even recruit one or two TRUSTworthy magick-users.

Thank you once again for taking me in that night almost ten years ago.
    Yours in law, faith and blood,
    ~Enforcer Rico

She commends the missive to Halast, nodding her thanks.

Rico then sighs, scowls and looks away into the depths of the night. Without looking back, she says aloud while walking down the station's steps, "I bid y'all good eve, officers. Red, Flash, Fox, Fist, coming?"
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Mandraiv

Leaving your cousin behind, you push through the thronged citizens and head up Water Street towards the Vinder's General Store, keeping a sharp eye out for Katrine's dark chesnut curls.

You arrive at the General Store to find it as you left it - closed for the festival and the front door locked. It seems to have emerged from the goblin attack unscathed, without as much as a broken window, which means that the goblins definitely didn't get this far south while attacking. There was no way they'd have been able to resist Mrs Vinder's homemade pies, which are prominently displayed in the front window alongside the furniture and tack and other sundries sold there.

Much to your luck, Katrine's protective papa doesn't seem to be around and you manage to find Katrine without much difficulty, standing in the shadow of the local school just opposite the store. She is not alone, however. Banny Harker, one of the operators at the lumber mill, stands protectively next to Katrine with one arm around her. Upon spotting you, his thin faces breaks into a smile and he waves in greeting, "Hullo Mandraiv! Crazy evening, ain't it? Ibor was just telling me how you were casting some mumbo jumbo spell 'gainst those gobbos up at the square. That's insane, man. I don't know how you can stand to go up against those little buggers. They freak the hell outta me."

Katrine merely mouths "h-e-l-l-o" at you, colours up, and snuggles a little closer into Harker's arms. At least she has the decency to look faintly apologetic.

Everybody Else

Nim looks uncharacteristically thoughtful at Rico's question, scratching his neck noisily. "Shalelu? She was in town a month or so ago for her usual. Left in a tearing hurry though. Didn't say why. Ole Nisk's still squatting in his little store 'long Raven Street. Had a report written up against him just last week - 'parently he sold Cracktooth some soothe syrup before Cracktooth went down to the Hagfish to try drinking some o' Norah's tank water."

At this, Halast chortles and slaps his thigh, placing Rico's message to Hemlock on the table before cutting in. "Heh. Cracktooth was busy puking up his guts for the next couple of hours, that idiot! So he tried to have the boss bring Nisk in. Only that the boss said that anyone stupid enou' to slurp that filthy water probably deserved to get sick, soothe syrup or no, and told Cracktooth to quit his whining." The watchmen rocks back and forth with glee.

There is little more for any of you to do at the Garrison and Hemlock doesn't look set to be back any time soon. Sirus' suggestion of a bath and meal and some loot division sounds quite agreeable, so you all bid goodbye to the watchmen before heading to the Rusty Dragon to look for Mandraiv, with Halast and Vachedi shouting out the door to say hello to Ameiko for them.

Optional:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roll Perception DC 8 to spot Mandraiv and Katrine and Harker outside Turandarok Academy on Main Street on your way to the Rusty Dragon. If not, assume that you missed each other in the streets.

While passing through the marketplace, you are hailed by none other than Ameiko Kaijitsu herself, the spunky barkeep and owner of the Rusty Dragon. She weaves easily through the crowd towards your group, flashing Rico a rougish grin and giving the half-orc a friendly pat on the shoulder. "Rico! I hear we have you to thank for the latest trend in improvised weaponry. I don't suppose you still have my table with you? And these are the others who helped to fend the goblins off?"

Turning to the rest of you, Ameiko recognises Sirus and Red instantly. "Hey little one," she says cheerily, ruffling up Red's hair while Red gently touches her other hand to her forehead in greeting. "Wasn't expecting to see you here this time of year. I take it you came to see Rico?"

At Red's confirmation nod, Ameiko smiles and shifts her attention to Sirus. "And... Mister Scarletti," she says with impressive gravitas, shaking his hand. "I suppose you're the one who saved Mister Foxglove? I guessed it was probably you, based on the description. Couldn't think of anybody who'd just gotten into town likely to be bashing goblins with his bare fists."

"Now. I don't think we've met before - mysterious gentleman and mysterious lady." She looks Cipriano and Setsuna up and down, giving Setsuna's katana a cursory glance before offering her hand, her dark brown eyes warm with curiosity. "I'm Ameiko. Thank you for saving my town. And you are?"
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

"Flash" huh? It has a nice sound to it...

Spoiler
    Show
    Forgoing the perception check, Setsuna's mind is on other things.

After reaching the Rusty Dragon and hearing Ameiko's greeting Setsuna stops holding her breath, I guess she's always been in Varisia, it probably won't seem rude if I only reveal my given name, it's all she gave after all.

She takes Ameiko's hand in her own giving it a friendly, if brief, shake, "I am Setsuna, and think nothing of it, it is what any armed person would have done. It is not as if I made a significant difference anyway," with a glance to the rest of the group she continues, "everyone here proved more than capable of handling the beasts and the Watch still did the dragon's share of the work."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus seems oblivious to the fact that he got doubly misunderstood. Calmly, rigidly and with his hands tied in front of him, he walks towards the inn. He only bows politely when Setsune exclaims there is no need for formality.

As they pass Mandraiv (Take ten Perception), Sirus slows down and waits for Mandraiv to catch his eyes. He then nods at the bag.

"Some of these, is. I believe. Yours."

When Ameiko comes out to greet them, Sirus stares impassively at the second hand account of his involvement in the recent events.

For some reason, my fists are always the focus of the attention. Strange. Today, though, I used mostly kicks.

"I am. Sirus Skerlati. Of Taldan. Pleased to meet you. Ms. Ameiko. Mr Foxglove. Has a. Specific. Take. On the recent. Events. A not. Entirely. Accurate. One.

We were. On our way. To taste. Your famous. Hospitality."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

Usually adverse to having her head touched by others, Red remains calm despite Ameiko's earnest hair tousle. She liked Ameiko. Ameiko was fun. She was pretty. And she'd been really really nice about the time Red had started a drunken brawl with Rico in the bar area. (Even if she'd made Red work off the cost of the damages for the next couple of weeks - that was only fair, after all.)

All the same, she can't help but suppress a giggle at Sirus' description of Aldern Foxglove. 'Specific take' was putting it mildly.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-02-19 at 04:34 AM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Well, well, well. Hurrying, was she? When does a ranger ever hurry? Note to self: Look into Shalelu and/or Tander. Rico muses as she drifts to the group's back, wolvish ears and flared nose and straining eyes unconsciously roving the scene around them, wary of any ambushes or anything out of the ordinary.

From her rearguard position, it also affords her a view of her companions' backsides... the relatively leaner holy men, one moving with a fighter's grace, the other moving with a swashbuckler's swagger; the voluptuous sway of somebody who might be Mistress Mila's new customer and the reserved yet cheerful stride of Red... Seems a decent bugger, as long as he avoids the more zealous parents around. If he isn't careful, might be having a contract on his head, or worse, for child-support. Seems decent, definitely a superb fighter... but what's his angle? Seems to want to help, and did so excellently, but what might he be hiding? Ditto for this Setsuna. Be ye alluring all ye care but both your silk and your steel are covering something, assuredly. And if any of you in any way hurt Red or Sandpoint, I will feed ye ta the feeshes...

Stupid girl. FOCUS. Concentrate. Desire my ARSE. Vengeance, my ARSE. There is ONLY Duty. Duty and Discipline. Back to the First Form, count the lot! A thousand strokes! BEGIN!

Along the way, Rico shakes herself from her reverie as she spots a familiar face--- there, Ironballs' bower-hopping apprentice. She makes eye contact with him, then jerks her head towards the Rusty Dragon in the distance.

She nods slowly in acknowledgement as Ameiko hails them, hand still in her pockets. She snorts warm breath into the cold night.

Frowning guiltily, Rico replies to Ameiko, "Sorreh 'bout that, Keep. I owes ye a table. Coupla days' work. Ye want it workshop-fresh or cobbled t'gether from the scraps of the old one?"

Once Ameiko touches upon Cipriano, Rico's hand shoots out, clouting the young cleric on the shoulder and she says through a smirk, "Decent frigger, once ye get past his friggin'. Father Fox Cipriano, didn't ye 'ave a certain Caydenite blessin' ta perform once we get to Keep Kaijitsu's establishment?"
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2013-02-19 at 08:10 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

Spoiler
    Show
    Foregoing the Perception check; Cipriano's a horny bugger, but he won't peep on others neckin' and flirtin'.

If the young Caydenite had seemed positively queasy at being in gaol, the prospect of going to the inn seemed to immediately make him smile and pick up his pace. That's where he belonged, in the midst of laughter and song. The arrival of the quite appealing protrietress brought that much more of a smile on his face, and he was just about to offer a bow with all the grace of a cosmopolitan when Rico walloped him on the back. Luckily, not strongly enough to make him fall flat on his face, but enough to break his stride.

"The good constable has the right of it", Cipriano chuckled as he straightened himself and offered a polite nod to Ameiko as they continued towards the inn. "Father Cipriano Verneti, or Father Fox if you prefer, a servant of Cayden Cailean. At your service, Miss Kaijitsu. I intend to be staying in Sandpoint for a while, and am looking for a place to stay and hold services of the Drunken God. If you'll excuse me, however...", the young cleric said before whistling for a stable boy.

"Be a good lad and find my friend here a nice, warm place in the stables", he said when the lanky young boy ran up to him. The auburn-haired cleric handed Eunice's reins to the boy, rubbing the donkey behind his ear. "And if you groom her, see to the wound on her hide and carry my saddlebags inside, there will be a shining silver piece for each task waiting for you."

With that, Cipriano joined the others at the tavern door. "Nothing too ceremonial, I assure you. In fact, first of such services would be offering a pint of beer to everyone on me! For Cayden Cailean and for Sandpoint!" the young cleric called out the moment the tavern door opened, making sure that his voice carried over the usual hubbub of the busy common room. Not to mention made their entrance that much grander.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just lemme know how much the stabling, the grooming and the round will cost in total for Cipriano

Also, I think this could count as an attempt to garner goodwill from both Ameiko and the locals, so Diplomacy? (1d20+6)[22]
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2013-02-19 at 08:38 AM.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mandraiv flashes a smile at the happy couple, "Well, you know how it is, wrong place, wrong time. I'm sure you'd have done the same. So, you're sein' Katrine now? Good on ya, man!" He throws a freindly punch at his shoulder. "You two shoulda told me! Well, if you ever need any help, let me know, okay?"

Seeing Sirus catch his eye, "Well, there goes my comrades-in-arms, I should go join them, you two should come by the inn, I'll be playing some of the night, and I'll try to get 'Meiko in as well."

He heads to the inn, and calls to his cousin, waving a couple of the village's musicians over. "Hey, 'Meiko, lets give these folks some music! How about something with blood and fire!" after a brief huddle with the other musicians, they break up and the drum starts pounding as Jokk Haraldson places bow to string, and the words of an old stirring war song fill the inn. After a couple slower songs, he breaks and heads over to his comrades. "Well, that was exhausting. Been thinking. We did pretty well together today, and someone needs to get to the bottom of this. Quite frankly, I'm not really the hero type, but someones got to do it, and it might as well be us. What do you say?"
    Lord Havelock Vetinari Avatar by AlfredAmeoba.
    "A sense of terrifying admiration overcame him.
    He wondered what it was like in the Patrician's mind. All cold and shiny, he thought, all blued steel and icicles and little wheels clicking along like a huge clock. The kind of mind that would carefully consider its own downfall and turn it to advantage." "Every evil tyrant has a plan to rule the world. The good people don't seem to have the knack."-Terry Pratchett

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

"Rico, Rico. Do I want it workshop-fresh - what kind of question is that? Hells no! I want it cobbled! Even if all that's left is splinters." Ameiko's eyes light up with mischievous glee. "Can you imagine the kind of story that would go with that table? Everyone would want to sit at it. Cobble it. Make it so."

Listening patiently to Sirus, she smirks at his reserved description of Foxglove. "Yeah, tell me about it - he can be pretty intense sometimes, no? Don't mind him though. He seems a good fella, just eccentric. Generous with the tips and all."

When Setsuna protests her small part in the proceedings, Ameiko gives the tiefling a friendly nudge with her elbow and winks. "Come now. No need to be so modest," she says briskly. "There's plenty of folks around town who were asking me if I knew who the dark-eyed lady warrior with the Minkai sword was and if we were related. Hah! Frogs in the well, all of them, hey? And damn straight, you made a difference. Most people ran to save their skins, first thing. You ran to save others. I saw you. Don't stint yourself of that."

Having shaken Cipriano's hand, Ameiko places her hands on her hips, an amused look on her face. "A Caydenite, hey? We don't get too many of those around here. By all means, hold all the services you want. Just don't let the masses do their worshipping with their fists, all right? And give me a heads up if you're going to be tacking anything to my walls, just so I can tell my maid not to clear it up in the morning."

"In fact..." Ameiko looks up at all of you, her thumb resting on her lips as she thinks for a moment. "Tell you what. Free rooms at the Dragon for a week. For all of you. Anyone who wants it. It's the least I can do - I won't have the people who helped save my town sleeping in the streets tonight. We cool with that? Good. Now let's get on with what we were all doing before the goblins rudely interrupted us - drinking ourselves happy and celebrating!"

Ameiko clearly isn't used to taking no for an answer. Putting an arm around Setsuna and Cipriano, she herds all of you through the doors of the Rusty Dragon, joining in with the wild cheers that go up at Cipriano's announcement that he'll stand everyone a round of beer.

For a town just attacked by goblins, the patrons of the Rusty Dragon seem rather unfazed by the recent event. They were probably already intending to head to the tavern to continue celebrating the Swallowtail Festival after the cathedral blessing, and the victory has simply provided with them with yet more reason to drink. While Mandraiv and his fellow musicians play up a storm with their rousing music, the rest crowd and jostle good-naturedly at the bar for their drinks, many of them making crude jokes about goblins.

All of you (but especially Cipriano) are at some point roundly patted on the back and thanked for saving the town. It takes quite some time before all of you manage to obtain your own drinks and find a corner quiet enough for you to take a breath and enjoy your orders. And even then, someone keeps coming up to shake your hands every now and then.

Fortunately for Sirus, Aldern Foxglove is nowhere in sight. Perhaps the combined shock of losing his dog and finding a new hero was too much for him to handle in one day, and he retired to bed early?

As Mandraiv heads over to your table, Ameiko herself takes the stage with her samisen in hand to much applause, the haunting melody of her strings in the background as you all discuss what to do next.

Cipriano now owes the Rusty Dragon 8 sp for stabling and care of Eunice. He also now owes the bar 1 gp and 4cp for 26 drinks.

Whoever wants a week's worth of free rooms at the Rusty Dragon now has it. Unless, of course, your PC has another place to sleep in mind or is already staying there for free.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-02-19 at 12:19 PM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

"Miss Kaijitsu, you've got yourself a deal", Cipriano said with a smile to the offers of setting up a shrine and the offer of hospitality for the week. "And I may indeed have something to nail to your wall. I'll let you know when I'm done penning it."

Say what you will of Father Cipriano of Magnimar, he proved himself a very devout Caydenite that evening. He didn't think twice about paying his tab, in fact he added upon it by throwing in a clipped Chelish gold piece in front of the bartender, telling the man to send something suitable for celebration to the table he and his comrades-at-arms had taken. He took his sweet time getting back to the table, joining in every bragging contest or throwing in bawdy joke or two about the goblins - or flirting with the barmaids.

"It's been a good day", he declared as he finally set his keister down. "Fighting, drinking, singing... and lovely ladies for company", he laughed as he winked playfully to the women in the party - even Rico. "Still, must not forget my duties. Think you could spare a page from that journal of yours, Rico? I need to write down something to stick in the wall..."

Before he could get an answer, the spellcaster who had given Rico her growth spurt appeared out of nowhere again. Cipriano took a drink from his pint and nodded. "It's true... we might as well try and figure this out. But not tonight, friend. Sit down and tell me, what was your name again? I don't think I caught it the last time we met."

Spoiler
    Show
    Debt is covered right away, plus throw in 5sp for something to drink for the group. If a decent bottle of wine or a pitcher of hard cider costs more, lemme know.
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2013-02-19 at 02:34 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus watched the various festivities with the same impassive face he always has. The offer of Ameiko elicits a deep bow from the monk. Later on, he takes very small sips from his drink and at one time even pays for a round with his new found companions. It would take a very trained observer to see that part of the spring like tension hidden under the surface is now gone. A very well trained observer indeed.

"I was sent here. I was summoned here. Was that all? I do not think so. Or was it? was there a lesson here I did not see?"

But as the evening moves on, he relaxes inwardly a bit. What would be, would be. He would be ready.

As Cipriano and Mandraiv start talking, Sirus nods.

"You are. Both correct. I believe.
    The troubles. Are not over. There will probably be. More. In the near future. But today. Everybody. Has earned. Their enjoyment.

And there is the question. Of this."

He points at the loot bag.

"Please see. If anyone. Wants anything. From here. Otherwise. Someone must see. That these are. Liquidated. And their worth. Split among us. Preferably. Someone the locals. Trust.

And. Ms Rico. I will gladly. Pay. For the table 's. Restoration. Myself. It was put. To good use."

Spoiler
    Show
    The loot! And what is the cost for a round of drinks?

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

"Huh... didn't think those buggers had anything worth taking", Cipriano chuckled at the mention of loot. "Still, for the sake of argument, let's see what you got there, Sirus." With that, the young cleric opened the bag. But before he looked inside, he closed his eyes and mumbled a quick prayer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting detect magic for any piece of enchanted gear. Otherwise, rolling Appraise: (1d20+5)[7]

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but clerics essentially know all the spells in their spell list; they just have to pick the ones they use every day, right? I'm having a bit of an argument about that with the guy who plays the cleric in my meat space group.
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2013-02-19 at 03:41 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Setsuna lowers her gaze out of humility as Ameiko argues that she did make a difference, it really wasn't much, they were just goblins... but she doesn't say anything more in response. She does look a bit relieved at the offer of a free room for a week, though, finally, I can get a nice room instead of sleeping on the grass.

She gladly takes the drink that Cipriano bought for her along with the rest of the crowd, not normally one for drinking but wanting to forget the exposure the goblins caused. A bit foolishly, she also takes the drink Sirus offers, and any others that may come her way that night, "Thank you both for the refreshments, Fox-san, Skerlati-san."

After Mandraiv approaches with his suggestion and Sirus and Cipriano agree she adds in, "I concur, I think we all work well together and could solve this goblin issue if we put our minds to it de gozaru." Once the loot is presented she can't help but look over it, I'd rather not handle any of this goblin filth, but I do need the gold...

Spoiler
    Show
    Constitution check to see how well she holds her alcohol (1d20+2)[15]

No idea what the DC would be on that...

Appraise check: (1d20+3)[13]
    Last edited by Desril; 2013-02-19 at 03:54 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195

"Yes, best to keep that for the morrow," Mandraiv says in answer, "I am Mandraiv Kaijitsu, apprentice to Master Wizard Rendark Ironballs. I'm currently undergoing what my master calls, 'reality training.' Mostly it seems to involve drinking and having people try to stick things in me. Rather fun, actually."

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Home. Rico snorts as the Rusty Dragon's doors flap behind her. The familiar scents of Ameiko's cooking, the sweat and smoke of the patrons, the barely-suppressed amalgamated aromas of ale and other brews...

One studded leather gauntlet caresses one of the tables they pass, the woodwork seeming newer than the rest. HEH. This, this was mine. Debt paid and done. Why DID you opt to go the long route with your damage payment, Red? HRHMM. Then again, who'm I to judge what you enjoy?

JUDGE? I am DAH Laaaaaahww! No. No, no I'm not. I am a SERVANT of the Law. What the hell...

Rico sinks into one of the stools at the bar with a grunt and a sigh. From the reflections on some of the bottles, she sees the silver-blonde, almond-eyed fairness of the minstrel Whisper. One corner of her mouth curls up in a snarl, her wolvish ears flattening to deny herself the sounds of the bard's song and strumming.

Yeah? YEAH? ...hrhhmmmm. Bugger. Set yerself straight, ye frigger. She's an ASSET. Could be an asset, you know how those bards are. Nosey. Always hearing things. Always poking into people's... business. Asset. ASSET. Asset, damnit.

She then raises one finger, and lets that hand thunk to the tabletop, then slaps Red's shoulder. "A tall one o' yer Dwarf Slayer, iffen ye please. An' a good dang 'elpin' o' wotever we've got cookin' presently. And a bath. On me tab. Ye know I'm good fer it. Red? Take my beers. I'm good with just the one. And I owe ye. And... sorry again."

Rico flashes a grin at Ameiko's words and she says, "Cobbled, then, Keep. Done afore noon on the morrow."

The thick orcblood arm shoots out again, clouting Setsuna's shoulder, then her fingers gesture a slash across her throat. "Friggen modesty. Keep, don't letter fool ye, mageslayer right there. Silenced their chanter jus' soon's the bugger began chantin', pretty as ye please then cuts down the bugger's bodyguard fer good measure."

At Sirus' offer, Rico returns the bow but shakes her head vehemently. "No-no, no an' fer good luck, NO. Thanks, but no. My fault's my fault. My mess, I clean. Or in this case, repair."

When Cipriano asks for a piece of paper, though, Rico hisses in alarm, then just as quickly calms down and fishes out a piece of scrap parchment that was clearly not torn from a book's binding.

She jabs a thumb at Mandraiv and snorts. "Yyyyyeah. Ironballs' longshanked stepson. Fun, my arse. Ye LIKE gettin' stabbed?"

Rico nods judiciously at Setsuna's comment and says, "Dassright. Got some people I... or we... could look into."

17. - Top - End - #197

"As my master used to say," Mandraiv lapses into a quite accurate thick dwarven accent, "'There's nae betta feelin' than to be stabbed at wi' nae result.'"

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Appraise checks do not reveal any magic items in the loot pile.

Setsuna is doing quite well so far with regards to alcohol consumption.

Loots

• 1 potion of Cure Moderate Wounds - in Red's pocket
    • 1 potion of Cure Light Wounds
    • 1 masterwork horsechopper - broken in half by Rico
    • 2 shortbows
    • 2 quivers with 20 arrows each
    • 2 studded leather armour (small)
    • 7 leather armour (small)
    • 8 dogslicers
    • 1 whip
    • 20 gp

Red

CON check for drunkeness:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[17]

Red pricks up her ears at Rico's mention of drinks. A Dwarf Slayer after all those drinks this afternoon sounded dangerous - she'd have to make sure Rico got home safely afterwards. But all the same, if Rico wasn't going to have the drinks that Cipriano was so kindly paying for...

"...All right. Thank you," she says politely, dragging Rico's untouched pints of beer and servings of wine towards her. She wasn't sure if she had room inside her for all those drinks, but there was only one way to find out.

Picking up the beers, she downed both of them in rapid succession. Then taking a sip of the wine, she made a face. The tastes did not go together at all. Better to drink this one slowly.

"...Rico... would we be allowed... to help? You're not... on duty now," she says somewhat anxiously, keeping an eye on the amount that the half-orcess was drinking. Red didn't know the man that Rico called Maestro all that well. But she knew that Rico missed him. That much was plain to see. And nobody ever stopped missing someone else that they cared about in just a week.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

"I have the pleasure of telling you, friends, that what we have here is the most prominent, most exhilarating... pile of common goods I've ever laid eyes on", Cipriano said with a chuckle as he finished digging through the various odds and ends with Setsuna. "That horsechopper might fetch some coin if its shaft is replaced. The blade itself?"

Cipriano demonstrated by picking up the shortened shaft and then chopping the wicked-looking blade deep into the table. "Good steel. Probably used to be some sellsword's tool of the trade before the goblins modified it."

"Other than that, the potions are useful to us. The rest... well, unless you want to give some children some real armor when they're playing guards 'n' brigands, we might as well sell them. Maybe there's some halfling or gnome who could use 'em. The whip... well, that's more of a Calistrian kink", he laughed.

Rico's hiss at him, however, took the laughter out of his voice and expression. "I... I'm sorry, Rico. I meant no offense. I thought it was a sketchbook for keeping records and notes while you were on duty. I didn't know it was more than that", the Magnimarian apologized, clearly meaning what he said. He had intended no offence, especially when he and the ferocious half-orc seemed to have started to get along. Well, get along better anyway... better than the last time, when she clobbered him on the head while running from the threat of a paternal beating. Or worse, a crossbow wedding.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's see how well Cipriano holds his liquor... (1d20+1)[18]
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2013-02-20 at 08:54 AM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

One of Rico's thick black brows rises in momentary worry and she grunts at Red, "Careful. Ye might do ta wait fer the food ta better hold yer liq. Technically, yer right, Red... but I did put in a request fer reinstatement earlier. Besides, somebody needs to watch these folk..."

Meanwhile, she sets to sipping her tall tankard of Dwarf Slayer, a concoction infamous for putting even dwarves under the table. No sense in wasting a good drink with haste. She inhales the heady aroma, then takes the first swallow. It goes down smooth as beer, thick as brandy and with the kick of vodka. Slowly smiling, she takes another swallow, snatches a fistful of honey-roasted salted-and-garlicked peanuts from the large bowl in the middle of the table and gets crunching.

When the food finally arrives, Rico gnashes and mashes her thanks at the server, shoves the various plates at her respective companions. She wolfs down the spiced potatoes and curried salmon, her nostrils as wide as her grin as she washes the lot down with yet more swigs of the Dwarf Slayer, then leans back with a horrendous belly-patting belch.

When Cipriano attacks the table and pronounces the weapon's worthiness, Rico seizes the goblin weapon and easily breaks the remaining shaft off, tossing the broken bits into Ameiko's fireplace. She growls, "Yeah? Git this piece o' pig iron tah Grom 'Ammerand first. Didju e'er realash whah goblin an' orcblood weapons're this ass-jagged by tradition? 'Tso dey RIP when they cut. Tch."

For a long time, she sinks into silence, slumping over her empty plate, leaning heavily on her crossed arms and chest, haunted eyes staring emptily at Red across the table. Slowly, she takes another long swig of the Dwarf Slayer. Fully half of the formidable brew has been drained when she sets it back down.

Black hair flies as she shakes her head up at the young priest when he apologizes. "Aye, 'smore'n that. Work amttersh an' pershnal. Dun warreh."

Suddenly, she stands, swaying. Something not quite right shines in her eyes. She lunges for Cipriano, misses and gouges a chunk out of the pillar behind him. She then grabs his shirtfront--- tabard, armour and tunic in an iron grip--- and hauls him to his feet. Rancid breath blasts him in the face as she growls, "Nrrraahuuaarrrgghh... You. Me. Bed. Now. Or I maek yuuuu intah feesh bait..."

With no more ado, she heaves him up onto one shoulder like he were a sack of potatoes... or a wriggling pig... and stomps off to her room in the Rusty's basement...

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

"Hey now, wait just a cotton-picking minute!" Cipriano protested with a laugh, but not before looking like he had just taken a peek into the flaming maw of Hell itself - which probably isn't too far from the aroma wafting out of Rico's mouth after that formidable concoction. The next cotton-picking second, however, found him hoisted on the half-orc's shoulders like a sack of potatoes.

"Oh you want to dance, Rico? Sure, let's have at it", he chuckled, trying to make the most of the situation. The lean man tried to flex his body and slide down Rico's back, to switch his position from the grappled to the grappler. "Ain't no fun without foreplay", the young man laughed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Combat Maneuver check! (1d20+1)[8]

Maybe it was because Rico was obviously more drunk than a battalion of dwarven brewers on midsummer, but somehow the much slighter Cipriano managed to switch positions. Dropping his feet on the floor, Cipriano locked his arms around Rico's midriff as he stood behind her. "Come on, then. Show me how much you want it", the young cleric laughed, no malice in his voice. Granted, he'd never been with a half-orc, but the idea was not appauling to him. What he resisted was the idea of being lugged around like a sack of potatoes. He intended to make Rico work for her prize.

And if she preferred wrestling instead of a few more drinks, so much the better.
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2013-02-20 at 10:25 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Glad to have another chance to try eating Ameiko's spiced curry again without the nervousness that impaired her stomach during the earlier part of the festival, Setsuna quietly thanks the chef for the meal in Minkainian once it arrives and Rico passes it to her.

As she eats and gets about half-way through her second drink, she starts to smile slightly and looks completely relaxed in spite of Cipriano's attack on the table, and hearing Red's question and Rico's answer she replies, "What? The two of you have to stay with us, I would be the only girl if you both left and I want to get to know everyone, not just the men."

After a few more moments she turns her gaze to Cipriano, "I'm curious, just how did you get the name 'Father Fox', Fox-san?" Before she can get the words completely out however, she's cut off by Rico's command to Cipriano and blushes Oh my, how direct.

Spoiler
    Show
    Con check round 2 (1d20+2)[21]

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

And slide he does, wriggling like an eel. The primordial brute gropes at her shoulder, finds nothing and whirls, one arm already grasping, the other stroke already kicking a nearby empty chair to bring her fleeing prey down...

Spoiler
    Show

Once more unto the breach, yeh friggers!
    (1d20+6)[13] <--- AoO! (cestus-bound, so, technically armed).
    [roll]1d20+WEEENG

Str check, on Rage. (1d20+6)[17]
    Annnnnd some more grapple. (1d20+8)[12] (1d20+6)[8]

...only for another piece of carpentry to be scheduled for the coming day/s as it carooms and crashes into a corner.

Gaddemmet, yeh fool frigger. Don't make this any harder on yerself. ARGH, damn my pride. Committed now, though...

Feeling arms wrap around her middle, she merely flexes her biceps to burst his bonds, then tries to seize him up unto her bosom, growling, "talky man shaaahhhdddaaappp"

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

Noticing that Rico had started raging, Cipriano decided to focus on staying out of her grasp instead of starting a bar fight. Heck, one punch from the half-orcess and he'd be out for the count! Quickly ducking her arms, Cipriano rolled to the left. He knew the outcome of this 'fight'; Rico had the strength advantage on him, and his lamellar was weighing him down.

Still, it made his blood pump faster, and his initial horror at Rico's breath was being replaced with the surge of adrenaline one got from a good brawl... of the martial or the amorous kind.

"Make me, warmaiden!" Cipriano laughed as he continued their dance. Remembering some of the tricks he had seen Sirus use when he was training, he tried - clumsily - to sweep Rico off her feet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's see if she's about to get tripped (1d20+1)[14]
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2013-02-20 at 10:51 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

The plot had fallen asmithers. She should have gone with straightforwardness, damn the EARS, damn the ears.

But the fight is afoot. The low leg kick almost has her and she sways dangerously, then plants her feet firmly.

"HRRAAAAAHRRGHGLRGHE!"

Fast losing patience, Rico rips her greatcoat free, buttons spraying like shrapnel and whirls it aloft as if it were a leather-wrought heavy flail... or net. She crooks one finger and smirks in a mockery of a "come hither". Beneath, she seems to be clad in a warrior's standard gambeson and chainshirt, but with the dangerously short hem of an undertunic below.
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2013-02-20 at 11:14 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

I'm assuming that at some point earlier in the evening, Red dumped her backpack in one of Ameiko's rooms.

Red blinks owlishly in surprise as Rico lunges for Cipriano and then drags him off over her shoulder, watching the scene unfold with furrowed brows.

Well, that was something new. Rico wasn't usually so... forward. She'd have to drop by Rico's room later, just to make sure everything was all right. Something was definitely off, though now was perhaps not the best time to do something about it, given how drunk her friend was. After all, Rico had always been respectful of Red that way, when Red was brave enough to ask the same of another woman.

Either way, this wasn't really something she wanted to see. Sighing quietly to herself, she pushes her half-finished plate of food away and gets to her feet. "Mister Sirus... I can show you tomorrow... where to sell those." She angles her head towards the loot pile. "I'm going outside... for a while. Clear my head. ...See you later. Maybe tomorrow."

Bowing slightly at the rest of her companions, Red picks up an untouched bread roll and her empty cup before excusing herself from the table. Pausing at the bar to get the serving girl to fill it up with water, she carefully wends her way through the crowd, doing her best to ignore the thump of crashing furniture and the peels of raucous laughter from behind her.

Oh, Rico. I just hope you know what you're doing...

She elbows the front doors of the Rusty Dragon open and takes a deep breath of the air outside - slightly cool, refreshingly free of smoke, and with a faint trace of the sea that reached the back of her tongue. Letting the heavy doors fall shut of their own weight behind her, she takes a seat on one of the oaken benches outside and places her cup of water next to her, all the while continuing to breathe deep and fill her lungs with the bracing night air, her eyes half-lidded in silent pleasure. From behind her, the roars of the tavern crowd dulls to a mere rumble through the walls, the sounds easily drowned out by the sharp click of horse hooves on cobblestone and the swirling rustle of leaves on the street.

Sometimes the simple stuff really was best. She missed that about life at the monastery. Plain food. Plain water. Plain people. Going back into the world outside after Rathi had died had been a little like getting burned by the sun after a long comforting winter.

Red took a small bite of the bread roll and chewed it thoughtfully, looking up at the clear sky and the few gleaming constellations that she could recognise.

She hadn't been intending to stay in Sandpoint for long - only for as long as it took to make sure Rico was all right. But Rico had seemed so happy defending her town and doing her Watch work. Maybe that would be the way to help her feel less sad about Maestro. Sometimes you just had to do things in order to heal; Rathi had shown her that. Besides, it wasn't as though she could just up and leave Sandpoint at a time like this.

It looked as though she was going to have to stay in Sandpoint a little longer than expected.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2013-02-20 at 11:22 AM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

Noticing that the arms were out now, Cipriano grinned and pulled out his rapier and light mace. For a brief second it looked like he was going to make the common room of the Rusty Dragon Inn a gladiators' fighting pit... but then he dropped his weapons on the ground.

"I yield", the young cleric said as he unbuckled his weapons belt with its pouches, bottles and daggers, and placed it down as well. "But next time, you only need to ask", he said with grin as he lifted his arms. He was pleased with the situation as it was; he looked forward to what was going to happen next, and he'd established he was not a pushover. Hopefully this might make it less weird in the morning once Rico sobered up, too.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

The hissing metal-weighted hems of the greatcoat stop whirling as Rico's arms slump, almost disappointed, but secretly relieved. She juts her jaw towards the basement staircase, grunts and glares at Cipriano...

...then stomps and glares at the crowd. "Hwut? Hwutchu lookin' at, friggers? Get on! An' NOBODY loots DIS."

Satisfied, she stomps after him, then takes the lead at the base of the stairs, now going only by lamplight. She fumbles for the key to one of the doors, numbered 44 and with a large Z scratched down the middle.

Inside,
    Spoiler
    Show
    the vague form of racks and a bed could barely be seen from the ambient lamplight in the corridor and the bare, cloudy moonlight from a small, singular window--- soon enough closed off as Rico kicks the door. Cipriano hears the clink of a key landing on a wooden table and then the clicking of a flintknocker. A taper is lit, then a lamp...

...showing a wall filled with swords, axes, fighting sticks, chains and whips. Beside the large bed, there stands a table that could either be a chirurgeon's evisceration table or a writer's desk.

The greatcoat flaps onto one of the rack's many pegs and Rico unclasps her hauburgeon as well, then the gambeson beneath, hanging up the armour too. She then peels off her undertunic and throws it at Cipriano.

Now clad in just a reinforced corselet and without all the other clothing and armour, he sees that she does have a decent amount of filling from being a hard-eater and hard-drinker, padding out her fighter's musculature. Rico kicks open a cabinet, fishes out a water jug and two clay cups, tossing one to Cipriano. She pours him a measure of clean water, then gargles and spits her water into the copper pot in the far corner.

"FPWEH! 'Slayer's a bitch, ain't it?"

Hand on hip, she then drinks another measure, letting some of the water wash over her, snorting and sighing in comfort. "Whatta day, eh?"

Setting the jug down, eyes never leaving his, Rico then kneels before Cipriano and says in a not-utterly-wasted tone of voice, "My apologies for that, Cipriano. Yer welcome fer not actually kissing ye, by the way. Did I say Slayer's horrid? Because it is. Wuhweredehwords... I come as a supplicant, Minister, and seek counsel and... maybe confession. Do I 'ave yer word that wot's said 'ere won't never get nowhere else?"

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Seeing that Cipriano is joking and that their little encounter isn't entirely unwelcome, Setsuna watches mirthfully, chuckling even as she blushes when Rico hauls the cleric into another room. It must be nice to have the courage to do something like that without being embarassed.

Noticing Red leave the tavern, she decides to try and talk to her now, despite Red's expressed desire to be alone and clear her head, since she's gone off alone and the alcohol Setsuna had imbibed impaired her already poor judgement. Once she squeezes past the crowd and gets outside away from the noise, she looks around for Red and once found, tries to see if the two of them are alone or if there's anyone lurking nearby.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20-1)[18] - been drinking penalty?

Once she finds Red, Setsuna waves to her and approaches, "Red-san, I was hoping we could talk, and since everyone else is busy inside I thought perhaps now is a good time." Setsuna tries to sound both serious and concerned, though some of that is lost to the cheery nature that intoxication causes her.
    Last edited by Desril; 2013-02-20 at 01:48 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Cipriano Verneti

"As the lady wishes", the dashing rake of a cleric answered with a wolfish grin as he walked towards the stairs, already loosening his belt and surcoat. On the way over he picked up an ale pitcher from one of the tables. "Thirsty work ahead", he joked as he made his way down the stairs...

Spoiler
    Show
    ...into the chambers that appeared to be a combination of an hermit's retreat and a martial academy's armory. Still, he would have been more surprised to find velvet sheets and paintings of unicorns, so he took the somewhat intimidating abode with stride.

What Cipriano didn't expect, however, was the sudden change in Rico's demeanor. "Wait, what?" the young cleric asked when the half-orc finished her request. He looked almost comical, standing there trying to figure this out, his hands undoing the bracers around his arms.

"So... all of that abovestairs? It was just a show to get me here?" he asked, somewhat incredulously - but then remembering to put his duty before his curiosity. "Cayden's balls, never mind that for now... of course. Of course anything you tell me as a supplicant stays between us and the gods."

With that, Cipriano coughed and tightened his bracers and belt again. He straightened his surcoat and pendant, the frothing alemug of the Accidental God shining on both. That done, he filled a cup with the ale he had brought from upstairs and placed it on the floor in front of Rico, then taking a knee before her so they were facing each other. He breathed in deeply, as if calming himself for a moment, then slowly breathed out and lifted his eyes to meet Rico's.

"If you wish for counsel, my friend, I will give it to you freely and without hesitation. As for confession, what sins you have committed are known to you and Cayden Cailean. He will not ask for declarations of regret, nor punishment of the soul or the flesh. I will pray with you, and if you feel the need for penance and atonement, we will find a way", the young cleric spoke surprisingly softly, a soft, soothing smile on his lips. "Let us pray."

Cayden, breaker of chains
    Hear our prayers on this hour.
    Lift the shackles of regret
    that bind our hearts.
    Shatter the cages of doubt
    that imprison our souls.
    Lift our spirits out of the darkness
    so that we may see the light of day
    and feel the soothing calm of the night.

Cayden, walker of many paths
    Let the cup of our lives
    be ever over-flowing.
    Let the feast of life
    never leave us hungry.
    Guide us to walk free of bondage,
    to fearlessly oppose the tyrant and the slaver,
    so that the world will know freedom.

Cayden, in your name we pray.