New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Outside XXXIV

Ruin

Copi stops "It's a very nice mask. Ah, is it yours? I took this place to be abandoned."

Despite the implied command, Copi does not immediately offer the mask to the darkness.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ruin]

A red light flares, though oddly it doesn't cast any light on the surrounding tunnel walls. Copi will still know it's blocking her way out. "Tombs are seldom occupied." Among the light, a pair of eyes form. Two beautiful, slanted eyes that are very familiar. They match the colour of the eery light they produce.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ruin

Copi nods in response to this. "And yet in another way, they are made to be occupied. And interesting change that springs forth from a simple shift in perspective."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ruin]

"Yes, and in either perspective, robbing the tomb in question is never looked favourably upon." The eyes narrow. It seems she's not unimpressed by Copi's musings. At least under the circumstances.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ruin

"I'm afraid the damage I've done isn't comparable to those that came before,"
    Copi says while she offers the mask to the person. "I was going to tell some proper researchers who would study this place for culture, instead of stripping the gold that was so carefully placed on the walls."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
    [Dir'ba Cave]
    Gerbo whispers, "One... two... three!" The arcs the thunderstone onto the plateau.

ka-BOOOM!!

The thunderstone lives up to its name as the cacophonous blast echoes off the cavern walls. Still grinning ear to ear while he rides Kenyon into battle, Gerbo "Two-Fist" lives up to his name as well, flinging the flask of Alchemists Fire at the first monster he sees, shouting "Vel karsh!" at the top of his lungs.
    [Dir'Ba Cave]

As everyone prepares, Kenyon pulls out a small device from his satchel, that appears to be a small hook, attached to a heavy cable to a small metal winch. He quickly loads the hook into the barrel of his rifle, and with a series of quick hand movements (impressive, considering the gnome on his shoulders,) ratchets the winch near the base of the barrel.

He readies the rifle, and as the thunderstone goes off, he opens fire, launching the hook into an outcropping of dirt right beneath the ledge. Barring any structural conflicts with the dirt, the hook should penetrate through to the top of the ledge with minimal trouble, while the retracting motion of the winch line should dig the hook firmly into place.

"LET'S GOOOOOO!" With a hoot and a holler, Kenyon's rifle-winch sends the rifleman and his gnomish cargo barreling toward the top of the ledge. Fast reactions are likely needed to ensure no one slams into the side, there.
    Last edited by Kenyon; 2013-02-17 at 11:16 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ruin]

The mask floats out of Copi's hand and hovers among the light, just below the disembodied eyes. Its carved surface is all that catches the light. "The fools that dared defile my resting place will soon be killed I am sure. The Gravesguard always find their pr..." The voice trails off and the eyes dim for a moment. "I'm... dead."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

[Dir'ba Cave]

"HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!" Gerbo laughs, his oversized eyes going even wider as they zip through the air. As he comes close to the end of the trip, Gerbo scrambles up Kenyons back and leaps into the air, drawing his Gnome Hook Hammer as he plummets toward the plateau! "Waaaaahooooo!"

How Gerbo feels right now:
    Spoiler
    Show
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ruin

"I believe your body is back there, if you want to see it. Beyond that, given how old this place is it's quite possible the Gravesguard does not exist anymore. There is an additional reason why they robbers might not get caught, but let's deal with the detail of history first."

Someone does not need to find out that they are dead and that they are in the nexus in the same minute.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ruin]

The darkness starts to pull inward toward the red light, condensing it's a indistinct gathering of shadow with a small body and two long limbs. The mask hovers before it all, the red eyes somehow visible in place of the mask's carved eyes.

"I was supposed to pass on into the next life. Why am I here? Why am I like this?!" Her voice booms int he enclosed space.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ruin

"Unfortunately, without knowledge of your world's afterlife and the funerary customs of your culture I cannot answer these questions. If there was something important to your passing in the room above, it may have been taken, sealing you here. Barring that, I would need precise information."

Copi is always willing to help, and is similarly willing to learn, and these two desires often overlap nicely.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ruin]

The mask looks at Copi unblinkingly for another moment before it turns away and moves the rest of the way out of the tunnel. She pauses only momentarily at the looted upper building before moving outside.

If Copi should follow her, she'll see the mask floating there, the shadowy body having retreated entirely inside of it in the harsh sunlight. It's impossible to tell what she's thinking.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    [By a Stream]
    "There are some pests I need disposed of. One in particular has managed to find me here. She is a murderer and traitor who killed my father and is now after me. The low-bred scum wouldn't even wait for me to finish slaying a revenant and his minion wights that were laying waste to a local tavern. She simply barged in and started to attack me, with no concern for the lives or well-being of the innocent civilians trapped within the chaos. I barely escaped with my life and have been wandering... lost in this place ever since." He tightens the last strap on his armor and inspects his handiwork. Standing there, in his finely crafted and decoratively etched armor, he looks every bit the part of a noble, except for his unshaven face. Still, proud and confident in his suit, he holds his chin a little higher and sneers a little deeper. He's in his element now.

"But first, I should like to see civilized land again. I'm tired of running. After you slay these fustilarians, I shall want to employ some common labor to build my manor. Be my guide away from this wilderness, then I will tell you more about your quarry." Knowing the game well enough, he tosses a small bag of mixed coins at the Shadar-Kai. "This is only a deposit, of course. You'll be compensated further when I have been brought to some place safe. You'll find I'm a man of means."

The bounty hunter catches the sack of coins and opens it up to inspect it. Once satisfied, he nods his head and puts away the money. He looks back up at August.

"And you'll find that I'm a man of talent. I'll make these problems disappear for you."

Finishing his apple, the man throws the red fruit into the stream.

"The name's Vordenar and I accept your contract. First though, let's get you out of here. I was heading back to my organization's headquarters before I stopped here. Do you wish me to take you there or drop you off in a town somewhere along the way?"
    Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself. - Bernard Shaw

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - Bernard Shaw

Nexus FFRP Characters

My excellent avatars were created by Kymme and Herpestidae

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ruin

Copi will follow the mask to the surface. When she gets there, she will wait for a bit to let the woman think.

Let the woman ponder for a bit before dropping the Nexus situation on her. It'll have to happen sooner or later, but it can wait a few minutes.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Time for Never View Post
    "Do you wish me to take you there or drop you off in a town somewhere along the way?"
    "Somewhere I can find laborers. The kind with strong backs." He replies cryptically. "I have work to do." August heads to his horse, thinking to ride it, but realizing the Johann still looks like he needs more rest, decides to guide his steed instead. "Tell me more of this land, Vordenar. It seems I'm going to be staying here for a while."

August walks along side Vordenar, listening if Vordenar choses to speak. If Vordenar isn't the chatty type, August is content to focus on his own plans, reverting inward to ambitious dreams of a new future here in the Nexus...

Spoiler
    Show
    Lead the way amigo. Much like August, I don't know much about the Nexus, so I don't really know where you're heading.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ruin]

Eventually the mask turns toward Copi. "Where are we?" She demands. Her eyes narrow in suspicion. Nothing is right here.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ruin

"Barring the unknown amount of time that you have been dead, it is more than likely that your resting place was spontaneously transported to this world, known as the Nexus. I was going to give you a moment to work some on your life and death conundrum, but since you ask I am quite willing to share the explanation with you. Would you like to hear it now, or after you ponder some more?"

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ruin]

"Tell me." She says simply. Best get all the information she needs right off the bat.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ruin

"The Nexus is a world that randomly grabs people, places, and things from other universes. That's the bulk of the issue, which is easy enough to understand if you understand the notion of alternate realities. That itself is easy enough to understand if you understand alternate timelines, which itself is easy enough to explain if you grasp the basics of time travel-induced paradoxes, which has the comparatively simple base of time travel."

Oh. That's pretty straightforward.

"Just how far down the rabbit hole can we start, then?"

20. - Top - End - #140
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "Somewhere I can find laborers. The kind with strong backs." He replies cryptically. "I have work to do." August heads to his horse, thinking to ride it, but realizing the Johann still looks like he needs more rest, decides to guide his steed instead. "Tell me more of this land, Vordenar. It seems I'm going to be staying here for a while."

August walks along side Vordenar, listening if Vordenar choses to speak. If Vordenar isn't the chatty type, August is content to focus on his own plans, reverting inward to ambitious dreams of a new future here in the Nexus...

Spoiler
    Show
    Lead the way amigo. Much like August, I don't know much about the Nexus, so I don't really know where you're heading.

"Laborers, huh? I suppose there's a few places we could search. Inside or one of the many taverns is bound to have a fair supply of working hands."

Vordenar continues to follow the stream north. Water sources generally flow by nearby settlements after all. He occasionally gives a glance around him, looking out for any potential threats. At the moment he moves at a calm walking pace, obviously not in any great hurry. The Shadar Kai appears to be a relaxed person in general as seen in the way he caries himself.

"I'm not exactly a sage on Nexusian lore, friend," he says with a sigh. For a few moments he walks in silence. Suddenly Vordenar speaks up.

"Though I suppose I can tell you what I know. As far as I understand, the Nexus is a sort of rift which has somehow become connected to every possible plane of existence. The Nexus is capable of dragging any world apart of the multiverse into it due to an unnaturally powerful influence. It's essentially the crossroads of reality. More often than not, once you're here, you're here. So yes, you probably want to make yourself comfortable. "

Spoiler
    Show
    In regards to the laborers: Do you want PC's to work for you, or are you talking about NPC's? If the former, we may need to ask around for people willing to RP a character for the task. It'll determine where I take you. I was going to have Vordenar return to NO for a little bit before starting the hunt for the girl. Also, have you been in contact with your friend about this plot-arc yet?

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - Bernard Shaw

Nexus FFRP Characters

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ruin]

The mask hangs silent for a moment before the voice sounds again. "Explain to me where I am." She asks simply. No time for nonsense.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

[On the Way to the City]
    "Interesting..." August says as they stroll towards civilization as he contemplates his options.

Hmm. I'll need advisors... sages and politicians as councilors after my manor is constructed.

After a few moments of contemplation, he takes a deep breath and changes the subject.

"Your target is one who calls herself Delaney O'Conner. You'll know her by her red hair and twin scimitars. She is a servant of King Gustav, Lord of the Vasa, and will be wearing his colors... the green and crimson. I last saw her at a place called Trog's Tavern. I don't know if she's still there. All hell was breaking lose at the time." He sneers when he mentions the king.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

23. - Top - End - #143
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Dir'ba Cave

The assault begins! The thunderstone goes off and the party springs into action!

As the party members arrive at the top of the plateau in their various ways, they are greeted by the sight of a dingy looking camp. A run down tent, a campfire, and an assortment of racks and other equipment. On the near side of the fire is the goblin, clutching a gnarled staff in both hands. On the other side of the fire is a huge snake. Not just a snake, actually. A Lamia. Twelve feet long with deep blue scales. Instead of a snake head, however, the serpentine body transitions into the torso of a beautiful woman. She is shielding her eyes from the recent explosion and hisses loudly as the party arrives, recoiling a short distance back.

The goblin sweeps his staff at the flask, causing it to explode in a torrent of flames. The fire fails to reach the goblin, however, as a magic shield repels the liquid inferno.

The goblin snarls and jabs its staff in Kenyon and Gerbo's direction, sending out a blast of force magic in an attempt to knock them back over the edge.

Kill them pet! Squeeze the life from them!

The lamia hisses again, bearing sharp fangs, but doesn't charge into battle.

((this foe is not a mook, so I will be resolving combat actions taken against it. Good luck!))
    Still not really here. Still just an illusion.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

[Dir'ba Cave]
    Gerbo comes hurling to the ground, using his momentum to add to the force of his swing. He raises his hammer high in the the air, then "oof!" Gerbo flies back as the force blast punches him squarely in the chest. He drops his hammer as he flails midair, hoping for something to grab onto.

He snags the edge of the plateau at the last second, scrambling to get back to the top. "Kenyon!" He cries out in spite or the newly acquired soreness in his chest. "Are you alright?" Gerbo coughs as he pulls himself up and rolls onto the flat ground atop the plateau. The force blast knocked the wind out of him, but he's otherwise ok. Assuming we're not counting the fact that he's now lying on the ground, unarmed, next to a spell slinging goblin and a lamia.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Dragon Hunting]

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by McBish View Post

John picks a spot in the woods that has enough cover to keep him hidden as he watches the camp. He curses to himself silently as she heads into a tent. He can't really cover her if he can't see her. He hopes that she is OK and doesn't make any sort of move yet not wanting to start something she might be able to talk her way out of. To far away to hear what the men are saying he keeps watching for now. He tries to see what kind of weapons these bandits seem to be carrying.

---------------------

{Melody's Island- Cottage}

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    Jezebelle gets up and tries to give Derek a hug. I would help you return, if I knew how.
    The sad look leaves his face when she comes over and hugs him. "Thank you. It isn't all bad, I have seen a lot of beautiful and interesting places since leaving. I wouldn't give up most of the experiances I have had on this trip. I just wish I knew that I knew that I could get back home at some point."
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Thanks for the Nude Avatar MethosHazara

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    Do they cry on those worlds,
    to?

26. - Top - End - #146
    Pixie in the Playground

Dir'ba Cave

Kevin ascends the ladder and reaches the top of the plateau. Watching Kenyon and Gerbo get targeted by the force blast (but conveniently not himself), he runs over a ways until he is a safe distance from the edge.

He then whips out his crossbow, and rapid-fires six times at the goblin.
    I have left the Nexus and am no longer participating. (probably permanently)

27. - Top - End - #147
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    [On the Way to the City]
    "Interesting..." August says as they stroll towards civilization as he contemplates his options.

Hmm. I'll need advisors... sages and politicians as councilors after my manor is constructed.

After a few moments of contemplation, he takes a deep breath and changes the subject.

"Your target is one who calls herself Delaney O'Conner. You'll know her by her red hair and twin scimitars. She is a servant of King Gustav, Lord of the Vasa, and will be wearing his colors... the green and crimson. I last saw her at a place called Trog's Tavern. I don't know if she's still there. All hell was breaking lose at the time." He sneers when he mentions the king.

"Trog's? I've been there a couple of times myself, so tracking her will prove to be a simple task. Attacking people in taverns isn't a good idea in general however. I may have to engage her after she leaves. Either way, she'll regret following you here."

And with that, the pair will continue on towards their destination. Unless spoken to, Vordenar will remain silent for the rest of their journey. You could say that he's not really one for small talk. He does keep a constant vigil for rogue monsters wandering about though, at least.

The rest of their travels sees nice weather. A bright, shining sun hidden behind clouds to take the heat off with a slight breeze blowing though every so often would leave the average person feeling comfortable. Especially for the Shadar Kai. Being used to terribly harsh conditions, this weather is a nice change of pace.

It takes about two thirds of the day to reach Inside. It's a large and grand city that's quite the site to see. This looks like the crossing point between universes as noted by the differing types of architecture. Once they approach the gates Vordenar motions towards the city.

"Welcome to Inside."

Nexus FFRP Characters

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ruin

"We'll start at the top then!"

Make yourselves comfortable; she'll likely be going for a while.

"time travel is itself a basic notion; travel through time as opposed to space. The most classic example is going back in time to keep yourself from making a particular mistake that you have made. Now, suppose you go back in time and stop that mistake. The result is a world in which not only do you have no reason to travel through time, but you also have yourself from the future running around. But what about the world that you left to go back in time? That world is still around, and distinctly different from the one you made when you time-traveled. Similar worlds, but different. These are separate timelines."

"Now, suppose that the difference between two worlds is not one person's decision, but whether or not there is magic. In one world, there is a lot of magic... and in the other there is none whatsoever. This would result in two startlingly different worlds, and since the change in intrinsic in the worlds these are referred to alternate universes, or alternate realities depending on the specifics. Hypothetically, there is an infinite amount of alternate universes, and therefore anything that has ever been thought of, ever will be thought of, or has never been thought of, has happened."

"The Nexus, where you are now, is particularly notable because of it's tendency to "steal" things from other realities. People, organizations, weather patterns, stars, buildings, woodland creatures, the Nexus grabs what it can... and is harder to escape than it is to enter."

"Therefore, it is logical to assume that at some point in the past your final resting place was grabbed by the nexus and placed here, taking your soul with it. This is why you are in an unknown location an unknown amount of time from when you died, possibly traversing biomes or the urbanization of the surroundings depending on where you were originally buried."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    "Yes, Margret. Like-"

Oh hey, stuff is happening! Yay, lava and chaos and doom! Let's just hope Margret is driving the right giant drill machine thingy, and that they won't have to emergency telewarp out when everything starts melting around them! That would be terribly bad.
    Homework Under the Sea

What sort of giant drill can't handle heat and pressure?
    That's not to say it doesn't get hot in the compartment. It gets quite hot. Between 43 and 49 degrees Celsius even. Not deadly (for short periods of time) but certainly not comfortable.

Of course, this is when they hit the lava vein and things start rumbling.
    Margret decides it's a good time to start driving in reverse before they're pushed out from the impending gushing explosion of heat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ruin]

"Strange." The mask comments. The loss of her real home doesn't concern her overly much. It's not as if she could function in her old society... "Are there any major settlements?"