New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Monk tips and meteor hammer

Hi all. I'm new to the forums, and this is my first post, so I'll get right to the point. I made a 1st edition monk, and was wondering if you guys had any tips for creating a fun monk. However, I do not want a super overpowered character. I just want some tips (or possibly builds) to create a solid, fun character. I am willing to create a weird monk. I also recently ran into a cool weapon, called the meteor hammer, or Liu Xing Dai Chui. It sounds interesting and fun, and I was wondering if there were any players who had used this weapon before and had something to say about it. Thanks.
    p.s I love this forum!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Monk tips and meteor hammer

1st edition doesn't support "builds" really – every monk is the same, except stats and HP. Gear is harder to control and there's less of it that's of interst for customization, too. The meteor hammer is probably covering that end, though.

The first edition monk was pretty sweet. You get a percent chance to outright stun or kill any humanoid target with an unarmed strike, for one, and this includes everything up to gods if they take human form. You're boned if it's a dragon or something though.

Darts are probably your best bet for a decent weapon off the bat to keep you alive for now. But this is all from memory and helping a friend pull out a monk recently.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Thanks for the reply. I did not mean builds literally, but rather in the sense of unique combinations of weapons, equipments, and play styles. I think I am going to stick with unarmed strike right now, which gives me a decent 1d6 hit damage, and wait until level three to pick up some ki straps. Then, I think I will try to specialize in battle control. Any other ideas?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Wait, this is for a 1st edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons game, correct? Does that edition have ki straps? What do they do?

If you are playing 1st edition AD&D, your best bet is to use Oriental Adventures and take the martial arts proficiencies (I believe the system actually modifies and or replaces the monk-class unarmed damage stuff, but nothing else; this let's you use the best martial art while maintaining stunning fist and such), so you can do neat stuff like auto-grapple an disarm in a system that isn't designed for them, sunder weapons and armor, break objects, deal extra damage, etc. which can come in really handy. Some of them were pretty automatic as far as choice, I think there's one that completely removes terrain restrictions, letting you do those flying Jumps from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

That's... Really all I've got.if you're doing a monk, you get the most out of picking a culture and working with that. Without ideas as to what culture, can't really make any suggestions.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

So far as I know, 1e doesn't have anything like "ki straps".

However, I would add that you might not want to discount weapons. At 1st level, your unarmed strike is likely going to be best, but remember that you get +1/2 levels added to all weapon damages. You are also going to wind up with a TON of WPs.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    So far as I know, 1e doesn't have anything like "ki straps".

However, I would add that you might not want to discount weapons. At 1st level, your unarmed strike is likely going to be best, but remember that you get +1/2 levels added to all weapon damages. You are also going to wind up with a TON of WPs.
    Oooh yeah. That's why darts are still a good idea even without specialization. You get a couple of them a round, don't you?

Anything that gives you more attacks is good, then.
    Man that's awesome. Why don't we have that in 3.5?
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2013-03-17 at 04:15 AM.