Thread: Tsarat Mull

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Tsarat Mull

OOC thread

Book the First: The Eastern Wastes

Chapter I
    Into the Waste

Jeimas the Astronomer, who lives in Langstown, has predicted an eclipse of the sun. The moon will pass before the sun, he says, at around 4 in the evening next Greensday.

Of course, no eclipse could go uncelebrated by the people of Sandsedge. After all, there are so few interesting occurences in the country, an eclipse is the most exciting thing that's happened since, well, the last eclipse, really.

In any case, the festivities are to be held in Yumara starting at noon today. A large percentage of Sandsedge is migrating to Yumara this morning, including five or six heroes...
    Last edited by Proud Tortoise; 2012-12-21 at 06:29 PM.
    white text is the bestest you might want to look for it
    DeviantART

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Tsarat Mull

Faelyn Saelethil woke up early, checked if his father needed any help, but it was a day of festivities and there wasn't much to be done... and the little which was father could do himself. On the table Faelyn found breakfast ready and two coin poaches, one for him and one for brother... he thought for a while about the concept of unbalanced sharing of money, but no, not this time. The eclipse doesn't happen everyday, so he would not spoil Lan's (brother's) time.
    'Although the sleepy head should consider this a favor...' Faelyn thought as he finished his breakfast.
    "Nothing to do here... could as well go out." he muttered to himself and went outside, to see how the preparation were going and what to expect of today...

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGuy

It was time for the eclipse again. Everyone loves to celebrate, but for Gamomiar Bemin, it was more a time of reflection. Reflection on who he really was, and what he used to be.

"Snap out of it," he thought. "I have no time for these musings." If he could not find peace of mind on this night, who was he to stop others?

It was then Gacomiar caught the scent of food ready in the back room, as was routine. Usually, Vallen, one of his only true friends in the world, was gone by now. But to day was different. "So, are you going to the festival today?, Vallen asked. "I don't have anything better to do."

And so the course for the day was set.
    Last edited by Xynphos; 2012-12-21 at 12:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Sveargith is found coming out of an inn. She is wearing her armor, which is shining in the sun, and her fullblade. She is keeping her mouth shut. Some say she is mute, which can't be true because she speaks when praying or preforming divine magic. Others say she is anti-social. That is not the case because today because she plans to take part in the festivals.
    Last edited by MichaelGoldclaw; 2012-12-21 at 04:24 PM.
    "Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, to all the souls you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, with all the zeal you can, as so long as you ever can" -John Wesley
    Deviant Art account
    Fairy Tail OC avatar by: your truly

5. - Top - End - #5

Allea has heard of the fesitivites which will be taking place. While she is usually opposed to frivolous social activity, the tedium and loneliness of her existence leads her to desire the sort of release the celebration might provide, even if only temporarily. After securing her breakfast, she heads off towards the city.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Faelyn and Sveargith:
    The streets of Yumara have been draped overnight in the red and black flags traditionally hung for eclipses. Vendors selling food, clothing, trinkets and almost everything else are in the process of setting up stalls for the hordes of potential customers who will arrive this afternoon. From the doorway you can see about five stands already assembled, selling pancakes, fresh fruit and souvenirs.

Gamomiar:
    As you step out the door, encountering a scene similar to that witnessed by Faelyn, old Father Jurgas joins you. He is the sole priest of Gyrostix in the town, and the keeper of the ancient church that sits on a hill near the town center. He is also extremely dull, and begins speaking at you with an anecdote about What He Saw Two Youngsters Doing On the Way Here and moves on to his speeches on How Greedy these Merchants Are (talking loudly enough that one vendor makes an obscene hand gesture in your direction) and how When He Was Young the Eclipse Wasn't Such a Big Deal.

Allea:
    Joining the stream of people making their way to Yumara, you arrive at the town faster than you expected. The red and black flags of the eclipse rise above the outer walls, and it costs you one copper to get through the gate onto the rapidly filling streets. You have arrived a little before noon.
    DeviantART

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Sveargith heads to a fruit stand and attempts to buy an apple without using verbal communication.

((ooc: I assume you will give me the price))
    Last edited by MichaelGoldclaw; 2012-12-21 at 08:02 PM.
    "Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, to all the souls you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, with all the zeal you can, as so long as you ever can" -John Wesley
    Deviant Art account

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Faelyn walks to the closest stand,
    "Busy day today? Do you know what attractions are planned for later?"

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

9. - Top - End - #9

Sveargith:
    The vendor looks at you strangely but hands you an apple. "Er, that'll be one peg?" [Peg being the name of a Sandsedge copper piece.]

Faelyn:
    "Oh, yes, the parade starts at noon, and after that all our prices go down for an hour. Then there's the eclipse, and a lot of drinking and then fireworks after sundown. Would you care to buy anything? The cloth is handwoven and the designs are the latest style."
    DeviantART

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Would there be any competitions this time? Would be nice to win something...

Hmm, I was looking for a new cloak, do you have any in dark grey or black?"

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

11. - Top - End - #11

Faelyn:
    "Well, there's the footraces down west of city center. I have this fine silken cloak in the latest vogue, it comes in jet black dark grey light grey and dark blue. It costs fifteen bezants."[Gold pieces]
    DeviantART

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"A bit of a shame... I prefer archery myself... still races could be fun as well... to watch at least...

Colors are nice... are these durable, or just a fancy kind, do you have hooded ones?"
    asks Faelyn actually interested... he got money to use, so why not have buy something nice...

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

13. - Top - End - #13

Allea heads toward the center of the town.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Fealyn
    "Well... They aren't as durable as some, honestly. They're more for show, really. I mean, they, well, they last a long time though, a couple years for sure..." She trails off weakly.

Allea
    As you walk past the waving banners and the signs advertising all manner of goods, you see a dark-skinned elf with a long, thin sword and a heavy bow buying a cloak from one of the stalls lining the streets.
    DeviantART

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Faelyn smiles before saying "I see... thank you for your time then." he nods politely and walks off to see if anything interesting is going on... and if not, he spends his time helping some vendors he knew before in setting the stalls. Working for cookies etc. until something everything starts for real.

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Sveargith hands over a copper and takes a bite from the apple.
    Deviant Art account

17. - Top - End - #17

DrowGuy

Gacomiar glares at the merchant who gestured to him, pondering if the merchant knew who he was gesturing at. "Time to have some fun," Gacomiar says to Father Jurgas.

Gacomiar takes a couple of steps towards the merchant and pulls an arrow from his quiver, and still glaring at the merchant. As he approaches he motions the arrow across this throat.

Spoiler
    Show

Attempting intimidate.

(1d20+30)[41]

18. - Top - End - #18

MindFlayer

Galadar arrives to the festival by air, soaring above the wall he has little need for gates. The journey from the ancient temple had been pleasant and he was in a good mood, on a whim he throws a couple of pegs towards the gate as he passes. What does he care if it actually reaches the city coffers, it will probably do someone good anyways. "Ah, is there any better way to attend a festival then from above?" He jokingly asks out loud as he lazily dance in the wind above the crowd, avoiding the tumult of the steets.
    Last edited by Tiny; 2012-12-23 at 05:56 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Gacomair:
    The merchant's eyes bug out and he falls over, apparently having difficulty breathing.

Galadar:
    Below you, amidst the clamor and chaos of the streets, you see someone walking astride an old man suddenly lunge out at a merchant. The merchant is old and rather portly, and he clutches his heart and falls sideways.

Faelyn:
    As you arrive with your friend Bernie's tub of pears (which entitles you to one or two for free) you see him clutch his heart and fall over. A young man seems to be menacing him with a bow.

Sveargith:
    As you bite into your apple, the old merchant from whom you bought it keels over, gasping. You look behind you and see a young man wearing a rather intimidating chain shirt aiming an arrow at the vendor.
    Last edited by Proud Tortoise; 2012-12-23 at 09:56 AM.
    DeviantART

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Sveargith taps Gacomair on the shoulder while having her other hand on her fullblade hilt
    Spoiler
    Show
    intimidate (d20+3)[8] crap
    Last edited by MichaelGoldclaw; 2012-12-23 at 10:24 AM.
    Deviant Art account

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Faelyn's eyes open wide in shock as he looks at his friend, he freezes in place and then suddenly jaunts towards Bernie, dropping the pears on the way. "Hey! What is going on?"
    Then he turns to the man with a bow "What do you think you are doing?" he says, his voice full of anger. He holds the hilt of his sword with one hand and is ready to draw.

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

22. - Top - End - #22

DrowGuy

Gacomiar locks eyes with Sveargith.

"Now, Now, no need to get all excited," Gacomiar explains.

"You see this man insulted my dear friend Father Jurgas here. I owe him my life.

"Besides, did you see the look on his face?"
    , Gacomiar says laughing.

Spoiler
    Show

The locking of eyes ensues a Duel of Wills(ToB) use of the intimidate skill, between Gacomiar and Sveargith. I will oppose her intimidate check with my own...

(1d20+30)[31]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Sveargith nods, but she looks like she isn't happy by it
    Deviant Art account

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Faelyn draws his sword and walks to Gacomiar.
    "You really think it is funny?" he asks quietly.

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

25. - Top - End - #25

DrowGuy

"Maybe you didn't see the look on his face the same way that I did," Gacomiar explains.

Gacomiar uses the innate ability of his race to change his appearance to that of the merchant. He then looks at Faelyn, and says, "Here, you be me and I'll be him." He locks eyes with Faelyn and falls to the ground with a look of mock terror on his face.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Still not seeing anything funny in it... Faelyn is too angry to be startled at the transformation ... although I could enjoy such look on your real face. Tell me who are you and why shouldn't I beat the crap out of you?"

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

27. - Top - End - #27

DrowGuy

Gacomair returns back to his previous form and stands up.

"Obviously I am a man with a sense of humor, of which you seem to be lacking.

"And as for the reason of why you shouldn't beat the crap out of me, there are many, many more witnesses to such an event thanks to the Festival of the Eclipse. I'm sure you don't want the city guard to become involved."

Gacomair glances again at Sveargith, this time with a gentler gaze, and notices that the creature before him isn't of the same gender as the he and the other fellow. He blushes.

"I do believe we have gotten to a bad start," Gacomair says to Sveargith, preferring to deal with someone not as hard headed. "If you would be so inclined, my dear lady, I would like to start over. I'm afraid my behavior to you before was in bad taste. My name is Gacomair Bemin, pleased to make your acquaintance." Gacomair extends his hand to Sveargith.

28. - Top - End - #28

People are now staring at you, and you see the merchant, Bernie, is slinking away from the stall.
    DeviantART

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Maybe I shall call guards on you? Threatening old people is a crime too, you know?" he says... but sees that talking to this man is worthless. He turns away, to check if Bernie is okay.

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Sveargith shakes his hand. She nods a no and mouths someting. She hold out her holy sybol and it shows on the back: property of Sveargith
    Deviant Art account