New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Getting the Facts Straight: A Factotum Handbook (WIP, PEACH)

Crazy question about the Factotum: It says that the Factotum gets Inspiration Points at the start of each encounter. Does this mean they do not have them between encounters? And if you stock up and don't use them during encounters, can you overfill your IP pool?

This is a legitimate question, as I have a Factotum in my group and I want to know if she can use her Opp Piety ability outside of combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Crazy question about the Factotum: It says that the Factotum gets Inspiration Points at the start of each encounter. Does this mean they do not have them between encounters? And if you stock up and don't use them during encounters, can you overfill your IP pool?

This is a legitimate question, as I have a Factotum in my group and I want to know if she can use her Opp Piety ability outside of combat.
    As written, you get X inspiration points at the start of the encounter, and they do not go away. and there is no limit to how many you can have at a time. So you can save them up and use them between encounters, or even stay back for an encounter or two and then blow 3X points on one encounter.
    LGBTA+itP

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

The bulk of D&D's rules deal with combat encounters as such non-combat encounters are poorly defined.

The general implication in the DMG is that non-combat encounters are any challenge encountered outside of combat: crossing a river (skill checks), solving a puzzle, and interacting with npc's, etcetera. Likewise, it states that the encounters may not be worth any XP. But the problem still exists, and it still is an encounter. Therefore the factotum gains their experience points out of combat, provided they see the situation as a problem in need of solving.

Some DMs might object to this, and they are well within their rights to do so (though wrong in my eyes). In such cases, offer the skilltrick option. Skilltricks can only be used once per (combat) encounter, and have the additional limitation that they can only be used once per minute out of combat. Allowing for skillpoints to refresh every minute is prudent. In such a case I would push for the creation of inspiration reservoirs (something like cognizance crystals, pearls of power, spellshards, etc) even if they are oneshot. 1 IP for a single round single-use spark of inspiration ought not cost over 25 gp (as a cantrip potion), taking some sort of action. Swift would actually be the strongest deterrent for a factotum as there's no way (I know of) of getting extra swifts.
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    As written, you get X inspiration points at the start of the encounter, and they do not go away. and there is no limit to how many you can have at a time. So you can save them up and use them between encounters, or even stay back for an encounter or two and then blow 3X points on one encounter.
    I had never read the rules with such an eye for RAW abuse.
    This is worse if allow for non-combat encounter uses. There is danger that way. But perhaps I should point this out.

I am partial to out of combat constant availability myself, seems more reasonable I'd say than stacking IP.

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    I had never read the rules with such an eye for RAW abuse.
    This is worse if allow for non-combat encounter uses. There is danger that way. But perhaps I should point this out.

I am partial to out of combat constant availability myself, seems more reasonable I'd say than stacking IP.
    Oh, I was reading it as written and not making any interpretation, since that's pretty much exactly what's written.
    To represent this seemingly-random body of knowledge, a factotum gains inspiration points that he can use to activate his abilities. At the beginning of each encounter, he gains a number of inspiration points determined by his level (see Table 1-1).
    There is nothing about losing them, having a limit on the number or how long you have them, or restriction on when you can spend them other than the actions associated with it (can't spend a standard to cast a spell when it isn't your turn). However, I'd appreciate you not accusing me of RAW abuse, because that is exactly what the darn thing says. Anything else is a (possibly perfectly reasonable) house rule.
    LGBTA+itP

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yeap. Not disagreeing. Just acknowledging that my prior readings were not so critical or careful as they failed to acknowledge the interpretative biases I had in place.

With a RAW reading FoI isn't that vital. All the non-combat encounters encountered and resolved would soon add up to having a lot of IP in the IP pool

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

This handbook has been extremely useful in designing a factotum//duskblade for an upcoming gestalt game- so thank you very much!

Also, just wanted to point out in the item section, the Shadow Hands Gloves only allow you to access a maneuver- not a stance. Although I would love to be able to get certain stances for only 3000 GP, that is sadly not the case.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

I am glad it has been of use. How has duskblade worked with the factotum.

As to the gloves: stances are a type of maneuver, as defined in the book. Not that they grant the use, not the maneuver itself, making them useless for prereq meeting, and the maneuver's prereqs must be met

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

It has been answered by WOTC at some point that Inspirationpoints are to be considered refreshed "after the character has a few minutes to catch his/her breath", so out of combat it seems to me you can consider them self-replenishing.
    Also, just break down the task you are doing in single challenges a.k.a. "encounters" and you should be fine anyways.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

The duskblade//factotum's an interesting mix... wouldn't recommend it for a normal campaign, but for gestalt it's fun. All great saves, full BAB, tons of skills, some spells, and interesting abilities all around. Lots of options in and out of combat. Not the most powerful, but my DM is purposely limiting our power level.

As to the gloves: stances are a type of maneuver, as defined in the book. Not that they grant the use, not the maneuver itself, making them useless for prereq meeting, and the maneuver's prereqs must be met
    Okay, so the ToB actually contradicts itself on whether or not stances are maneuvers. On page 43 it says, "A stance is not a maneuver, but a specific fighting method that you maintain from round to round." Whereas under the quick overview of the book it defined stances as "a special type of maneuver."

Most rulings I've seen/been dealt say that a maneuver-granting item like the gloves would not grant stances... because if stances could be subsituted for maneuvers anytime it would change a number of things in game: a 1-level warblade dip, for instance, with 3 maneuvers + 1 stance known could technically grant 2, or 3, or 4 stances, or non-martial adept characters could take martial study to get a desired stance, as it has no requirements (beyond those on the maneuver itself) as opposed to martial stance which does have a requirement.

It might be a good idea to at least have a note by the gloves to check with a DM whether or not they work with stances, as continuously-active stances are definitely more powerful than a once-per-encounter (pending recovery methods) maneuver.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Regarding Inspiration points refreshing, your answer is here http://community.wizards.com/go/thre...35797/?pg=last

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thank you themightylex. Being able to link to the FAQ for validation that IPs are available for challenges and that unspent IPs don't carry over is great.

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Small suggestion that may or may not have been mentioned :)

But I'm a huge fan of well thought out spoiler tags in handbooks, particularly when there are (or could be) a lot of sections.

Refer to: Rogue's Handbook

14. - Top - End - #104
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Here's a picture I used for my last factotum.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Update: added the FAQ rulings on factotums. Boosted Uncanny Trickster's rating and elaborated further on it.
    To Do: Elaborate on ranged attacks
    Fill up the spells section
    Suggest some more useful items: schemas and wands

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Racial suggestion: Vanara from Oriental Adventures!! +2 Int, +2 Wis, -2 Str. LA 0!

Good enough already, but add a 20' climb speed, +8 bonus to Climb checks (using either STR or DEX mod), can always take 10 on Climb
    Low-Light vision, +4 to both Balance and Jump checks, +2 to both Hide and Move Silently.

I added the Unseelie Fey template for a 60' (average) fly speed, -2 STR, +2 DEX, -2 CON, +2 CHA, +4 Intimidate. Faerie Mysteries Initiate feat. So, 32 point buy 14/14/8/17/9/14 base yields stats of 10/16/6/19/11/16. Don't care about the CON 6 since the FMI lets me use INT mod to HP instead and have highest stats in INT>CHA/DEX>WIS>STR>CON.

At level 1, I have an extremely smart, intimidating, medium sized apelike creature (I think of him as a small wookie) with a bow.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

Question:

What are the sources for "Fancy Hat"?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Bugbear in the Playground

You should put a hyperlink in the Font of Instpiration description. Have you posted this at minmaxboards? Handbooks on this site have a bad tendency to become locked.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by teh_steve View Post
    Question:

What are the sources for "Fancy Hat"?
    Furthermore - the reference for Omniweapon (dr 347) is wrong - scoured the whole thing and no evidence of it in there.

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    [*]Fancy Hat: A combo of my three favorite head items: hat of disguise, circlet of persuasion, headband of intelligence. Starting off at 9850gp for the 2 related abilities (disguise and persuasion). You get a +13 to disguise, +3 to all other charisma checks (iaijutsu focus anyone), +X to Intelligence
    Seems fairly straightforward, it's a magic item made using the various magic item combination rules. Hat of Disguise is normally 1,800gp and Circlet of Persuasion is normally 4,500 both are located in the DMG. Combined using the rules for stacking magical items in the same slot as one ability +1.5 times the other ability. I'm not quite sure how they got 9850 as the base price here, as far as I can tell it would be 7,200 (4500 +1.5*1800) for those. It then uses the rules in MIC for adding standard bonuses (Stat boosts, +NA, +Deflection, +Resistance etc) to other items at their normal price to stick an Int boost on there as well.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dread_Head View Post
    Seems fairly straightforward, it's a magic item made using the various magic item combination rules. Hat of Disguise is normally 1,800gp and Circlet of Persuasion is normally 4,500 both are located in the DMG. Combined using the rules for stacking magical items in the same slot as one ability +1.5 times the other ability. I'm not quite sure how they got 9850 as the base price here, as far as I can tell it would be 7,200 (4500 +1.5*1800) for those. It then uses the rules in MIC for adding standard bonuses (Stat boosts, +NA, +Deflection, +Resistance etc) to other items at their normal price to stick an Int boost on there as well.
    Ah, fair, thanks for the info! Are there any restrictions on number of abilities you can stack together other than GP and XP costs?

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

May we get a link to the 8 Bit Theatre Red Mage Factotum, G?
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Great handbook. I'm big fan of the factotum, ever since discovering it I've had a soft spot Int focused builds for non-traditional classes.

Here's some more PF feats & traits a factotum (or an Int character) might find useful.
    Feat:
    Artful Dodge
    Requires: Int 13
    Benefit: +1 dodge AC when your the only one threatening an opponent. Unsure if the applies to multiple opponents if flanked/surrounded, probably don't want to test it .
    Special: Acts as the Dodge for prerequisites. Can use Int rather than Dex for feat prerequisites.
    src

Traits:
    Clever Wordplay Use Int for one Cha based skill
    Bruising Intellect Use Int for Intimidate
    Student of Philosophy Use Int for Diplomacy to persuade and Bluff to lie
    Precise Treatment Use Int instead of Wis for Heal

Also, while the fluff is very different, the PF class Investigator is mechanicaly pretty similar to the Factotum in terms of using Int and a resource pool (also 2/3rds casting) to make themselves awesome at pretty much everything.

24. - Top - End - #114

RogueGuy

Facto3 Swash3 Swordsage2? has been mentioned, and it's pretty sick.

Facto is MAD and this combo lets you take advantage of that. Perhaps with Chameleon on top.

Facto with max UMD let's you use any scroll ever written. Scribe Scroll if your campaign looks like that, and your Facto has all day ammo.