New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Sir Joanson Part I: The Bull of Castle Rock (IC)

From Edward Topsell (1607) The Historie of Foure-Footed Beastes

Among the manifold and divers sorts of Beasts which are bred in Affricke, it is thought that the Gorgon is brought foorth in that countrey. It is a feareful and terrible beast to beholdd, it hath high and thicke eie lids, eies not very great, but much like an Oxe or Bugils, but all fiery-bloudy, which neyther looke directly forwarde, nor yet upwards, but continuallye downe to the earth, and therefore are called in Greeke Catobleponta. From the crowne of their head downe to their nose they have a long hanging mane, which maketh them to looke fearefully. It eateth deadly and poysonfull hearbs, and if at any time he see a Bull or other creature whereof he is afraid, he presently causeth his mane to stand upright, and being so lifted up, opening his lips, and gaping wide, sendeth forth of his throat a certaine sharpe and horrible breath, which infecteth and poysoneth the air above his head, so that all living creatures which draw in the breath of that aire are greevously afflicted thereby, loosing both voyce and sight, they fall into leathall and deadly convulsions.

Before the Gorgon was known to man it was known and feared by fey. Indeed, Edward Topsell only heard of the beast from a traveling leprechaun and confused the description with certain African oxen that were known from the crusades.

In truth, that Bull of Iron was once a champion of the Fairy Queen and a knight in the service of a beloved Fey Baron, but was transformed by magic and envy. He coveted the land and power of his master. He desired the love of the people. He was obsessed with things above his station. This poison grew inside of him until it could not longer be contained. The knight became hard and bitter. Why not me? was always his question, until he decided that no one should have what he could not. He stomped the ground in frustration. His thunderous feet laid waste to countryside and destroyed his master's castle. The vile jealousy inside him spilled out into the land, and all the enjoyed what he could not were choked by it. Finally, he sprouted horns and hooves, and he gored his Lord Baron to death. That land has been a waste for an age now and would remain so until a hero came to vanquish the Bull of Castle Rock.

And so it was that the Fairy Queen selected a new Champion. A true Champion! Sir Walter Joanson, Slayer of the Fallen! It was him that would fight sin and betrayal with virtue and loyalty. He would brave the uncertain path the Castle Rock and make the land habitable again. With the aid of his friend and counsel Jon the Green, he would become the subject of bards and poets for a thousand thousand years. This is...

The Tale of Sir Joanson & The Bull of Castle Rock

Our tale begins as Sir Joanson and Jon the Green reach the end of the road to Castle Rock. It had become overgrown by neglect and was now indistinguishable from the fields and hills. This was a wilderness now. The way would be fraught with danger, and nearly as hard as defeating the Gorgon itself. For between here and there were foul creatures that could thrive in such a noxious environment. The air burned the lungs and did not welcome the good things in life. Such is the nature of envy: a poison of the soul that pushes away the very things it desires. From their current vantage point they could see the lay of the land.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Welcome!

OCC Thread
    You begin at the edge of Hex B1. You can clink the link in text to see the regional hex map. Each hex is like a dungeon with a minimap to explore.

Last edited by boldfont; 2013-04-04 at 05:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Sir Joanson Part I: The Bull of Castle Rock (IC)

Jon of the Green

The older man strokes his wild beard while leaning on his rough-hewn staff. So, another knight given into my care, another soul to shepard, to guide. To guide to what though? Is not the one we seek a former charge? I failed him. Or he failed me.

He chose his path. I warned of avarice, of jealousy and greed. He was always bull-headed and obstinate, that one. And now many suffer because of it, the very land groans under his breath.

Will this one be better? Will he stand firm to the end? Do I lead him to victory, death, or damnation?

Why must I endure another bright-eyed champion, full of vigor and certainty? Haven't I done my part? I can see the city...but cannot cross the river.

He speaks softly, inviting any listeners to lean in closer to not miss his words. "We have reached the lands cursed by the fallen we seek. It is yet far to the castle where I expect him yet to linger. The land grows steep ahead of us; be on guard, we do not know what the rise may conceal."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Bravery, chivalry, honor and kindness; these are the codes passed down to Sir Joanson. "Thank you, Jon of the Green. Be on your guard as well. The extra pair of eyes is helpful. I hope this bull can be taught a more righteous way to live. But if we must, we will cleanse this land by defeating the bull. Regardless of the end, we must press on."

Drawing his greatsword, Walter pressed on.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Jon's brow furrows. "Do not forget, the struggle is not against flesh and blood alone, for your foe was as you are, once. The fallen may seem monsters now, but they where not transformed by foul enchantment but by their own desires and lusts. Your blade is sharp, but that is not enough. Heed my words." He follows a half step behind his charge, making full use of his staff to aid him in carrying his heavy spirit.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Walter nods, looking ahead but talking to his companion. "Flesh and bone is all how to vanquish. I trust in your words and take them to heart, but my tools are words and a blade. I have nothing else. But if we can, I would like to not slay these fallen. Any mistake, no matter how grand, may be corrected with enough repentance; the betrayer redeemed and absolved from his sins. We must simply discover how. Should we fail in this, the world will forever lose a valiant soul to the void only because it was imperfect and corruptible. I fear nothing is otherwise, so I would prefer to not judge the fallen too harshly. Regardless, redeemable or not, we can do nothing until we find the way. Direct my path, noble guide."

Walter walks down the slope in front of him, making a straight path towards B2.

6. - Top - End - #6

The slope steepens quickly until it can properly be called a cliff. If Sir Walter and Jon the Green are to take the straight path, they must climb. The closest and safest way, without taking a detour, is done in three stages. The first ledge is a mere 20 feet down. The second is 30. The last is a sheer drop 50 feet down.

Spoiler
    Show

Climb DC 10, 15, and 25
    with rope DC 5, 10, and 15, but the rope is not retrievable from the last stage unless you have a special trick up your sleeve.
    Falls hurt 1d6/10ft, but worse than that they require a Reflex DC15 save or you go tumbling down the next stage as well.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Walter Johanson is not afraid of little cliffs! However, it may be wise for another path to be taken. "Jon, I think it may be unwise to march down these slopes." Looking to the right, he sees the gentler path down. "What say you, shall we take that path to the right? It leads more towards the forest. We could potentially camp hidden under its canopy, and then march along the banks to the castle."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Jon studies the slope. "Perhaps we will find a gentler path. There was once a road servicing the castle and surround, we need but find it. Even in disrepair in must be more inviting."

Spoiler
    Show
    suggest we head right and see if the scree is more inviting. Otherwise moving to the next hex for an easier path would be good.

I'm totally stealing your ideas for the exploration game I'll run one of these days.

Also, pretty sure Jon could heal us up if we just slid down, but wouldn't want to risk good damage rolls. And he has no rope (vow of poverty and all that.)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Pointing with his greatsword, Sir Joanson gestures to the scree that had caught his eye. "That way then." Keeping an eye out for whatever dangers the taint of the fallen may have caused, Sir Joanson begins his decent. His path will take him southwards, and to the east until he comes across the skree, and which point in time he will head due north to the second bit of scree, and then around the boulder, clockwise until he reaches a straight shot to C1.

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to interrupt his path at any time, but I don't want to waste time by going 5ft and waiting for a response all the time. So that is his path until he comes across something or he reaches his destination.

10. - Top - End - #10

His path is pleasant and even relaxing. The morning sun shines through the tree branches as Sir Walter and Jon pass under a small stand of trees. This far from the Gorgon's lair the taint of his betrayal has not yet corroded the natural beauty of the wilderlands. Sir Walter and Jon take several opportunities the enjoy the view from their high vantage point.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot checks (didn't invest much here, didja?)
    Jon (1d20)[15]
    Sir Walter (1d20-1)[3]

11. - Top - End - #11

Jon of the Green spots them before they begin their decent down the skree.

map
    Spoiler
    Show

Two small bands of goblins, with about 10-20 warriors each, exit the caves in the cliff face. Hunting parties or patrol most likely. This many in the day must mean these hills are crawling with goblins at night. Of course, "goblin" was just another word for "nasty fey". There were all sorts of goblins in the fey realms. These were the greedy hill dwelling kind. They cared only for power and gold, generally. Jon and Sir Walter would have to be careful if they wanted to avoid a robbery attempt.

The closest goblin party is facing our hero. One of the goblins raises his hand to shield his eyes from the sun. He is surveying the top of the skree...

Spoiler
    Show

Spot
    (1d20-2)[14] (+2 ranks, but -4 sun and height)
    vs hide
    Jon (1d20+1)[17]
    Sir W (1d20+3)[13]

Sir Walter does not take cover in time. The goblin is pointing up the hill and saying something to his superiors.
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-04-05 at 01:44 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Jon whispers from behind his stoney refuge. "Where there are no good men to resist, evil festers. If you allow, I shall try to speak with them."

(If the knight agrees)

Jon walks forward slowly, hands visible, calling in a clear, calm voice. "We mean you no harm. Let us pass in peace and no blood shall be shed today."

Spoiler
    Show
    I won't roll diplomacy yet, as it might influence Darklink's actions, but the modifier is +17

Also, seeing Jon's lack of goods should help dissuade them, right?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Walter is not on a mission of war against sentient life, nor any other life, and seeks only to redeem or defeat the fallen. Leaving other creatures be is preferable unless they are evil beings that are of grave threat to his Queen's people. Goblins are not wicked by nature, so Sir Walter agrees with the diplomatic approach.

Hefting his blade to his shoulder, Sir Walter allows Jon to take point, but readies to charge to the aid of his guide.

14. - Top - End - #14

The gobins drop their guard as Jon approaches peacefully. Jon relates his offer of peace and goodwill, and asks for safe passage. He is informed that the "Goblin King" (self styled King obviously, since these are the Fairy Queen's lands) will hear the request. They tell Jon that he has to follow them into their caves to see the King. They seem to Jon to been receptive to the request and will lead him to the "Goblin King" in earnest. They do not appear to be aware that Sir Walter is at the top of the hill, armed, watching and waiting.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Keeping his weapon at the ready but not threateningly, Sir Walter walked down. "Hail, noble goblins, I would that I am also given the chance to meet with your Noble King. I come to rid his lands of danger."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

After the young knight announces himself, Jon waves his closer. "There are only us two. We will be honored speak with your king." No true king, but we are not here for them. Once a proper ruler oversees these lands they can be dealt with, perhaps peacefully.

17. - Top - End - #17

The goblins lead our hero to the entrance of the centre-most cave. The mouth of the cavern emits a constant foul smelling draft. Bound wooden planks serve as a walkway. The inside is dimly lit by torches and the walls rough in most places, smooth and hewn in others. The caves are natural formations that have been expanded into a vast honeycomb network.

You've got to wear this. says the lead goblin, holding forth two raggedy sacks.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Jon looks at the sacks, understanding the intent immediately. He whispers to Sir Joanson, "Obviously they hold the path to their king a secret. I know not if they will keep their word. It is your quest, will you trust them or shall we leave and press on through the hills without their permission? Either road if fraught with peril."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Walter looked at the sacks, then at his companion. "Inform them that this is a great disrespect to honest travelers, even more so to Knights on a quest to cleanse the lands. Tell them their king would not like such disrespect shown to Knights who willing act in a service to him. Perhaps by seeming outraged, the goblins will give in. I wish no ill upon these creatures, but I am not foolish enough to believe they hold my tenets as dearly as I do. While you talk, I will do my best to look upset."

With a loud thump, Sir Walter dropped the business end of his enchanted blade into the dirt, and frowned.

20. - Top - End - #20

After Jon relays Sir Walter's message the goblins huddle and consult. They express their sincere apologies, but fear that if they present an armed outsider who it not wearing the "visitor's safety bag of shame" that they shall be tossed into the arena to fight the Grolax. They do not wish to offend the great knight, but custom (and their individual health) demand that Jon and Sir Walter wear the bags.

Spoiler
    Show

The former successful Dip check is still in play. They are in earnest.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

(this was written before reading Boldfont's post)

Jon nods, turning back to the goblins. "My companion is a knight, on a quest from the rightful ruler of these lands, the Fairy Queen herself. As such, we must be accorded due respect and will not suffer to be blinded. If you will not show us to your king unhindered, then leave us to proceed about our business. Attempt to stop us and you will face the Queen's justice."

Spoiler
    Show
    dip still at +17
    Last edited by stack; 2013-04-08 at 01:16 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

"Perhaps you can send a messenger to your king, bearing our petition. It should be no great matter to allow us safe passage. Then there would be no need to blind us for your safety and we would not need be insulted." Or vulnerable.

23. - Top - End - #23

The lead goblin smiles and nods at what appears to be a perfectly reasonable request. "Noble knight... doesn't want visitor's bag... here to help... insult. Gottcha! After writing all this down in what appear to be incomprehensible scribbles the led goblin tucks the note into a subordinate's belt, smacks him across the head, and he's off! In the meantime, both sides are left staring awkwardly at their feet.
    So... Do you like.. Stuff?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Well, there are no shrimp, so it is not the oddest beginning of a quest I have had.

Jon clears his throat. "Ehm. Stuff? Erm...right. Have your people encountered the gorgon?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Walter reaches into his bag and pulls out about a foot of rope, his 30ft chain and a few torches. "I like stuff. Do you trade? I have rope of quality, metal rope, and good sticks for making good fire. Do you like my stuff? I have lots more rope."

Obviously simpler minded, Sir Walter believes this goblin would enjoy passing the time bartering. For all Sir Walter knew, this little green man might even trade something Sir Walter wanted in exchange for something Sir Walter had, but did not desperately need.

Adding after a brief pause, "I also have... no never mind. You probably don't want my special hammer."
    Last edited by darklink_shadow; 2013-04-08 at 01:54 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

"Special Hammer"? What makes it so special? says the wart ridden captain as he hefts the over sized (to him) hammer in the air.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Walter shook his head. "No, no, you wouldn't want it. It's not that special. It just makes building things easier. You probably don't like to build things. I have some good wood for making torches though. Not as good as my... no, never mind about the hammer."

Sir Walter smiled and patted his pack. " I mean, what would you even build? Your own castle? Sure, your king would like it, and reward you forever, but that's a lot of work. Or a nice little trap to catch rabbits in? Well, but you probably don't even like rabbit stew. There sure are a lot of things a special hammer can build. But you wouldn't want them, would you? No, you might want this metal rope though!"

28. - Top - End - #28

Give me that hammer! says the greedy goblin, licking his lips.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Walter held up his hand. "Now hold on. You probably wouldn't like it. Besides, we are supposed to be trading. What can you trade me for a few torches, some rope and a dumb old hammer?"

30. - Top - End - #30

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[12]
    (1d20-2)[0]

OKAY OKAY OKAY OKAY I WANT IT I WANT IT I WANT IT!!!
    The warty lead goblin goes ballistic! He begins sorting through his pockets, picking out rocks and twigs. Then he searches his subordinates, picking their pockets! He comes back with a handful of raw minerals. Granite with something shiny and gold inside it. This he holds up triumphantly to Sir Walter.
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-04-08 at 06:53 PM.