New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Tower - Group 2 IC

Xenolph shrugs off Mortheon's advice and responds with a carefree glee, "You're overthinking this whole thing again. Prepare all you want, but the best thing you can do is just go out into the world and do it instead of working in anticipation of your goal. Hell, I'm all ready to go out to the infested tunnels and smash some birds."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

"Tunnels? Birds?" Mortheon says alarmedly.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Mortheon asks a couple of passing townsfolk about who might have more information and the consensus is clearly that Qint, Lord Ibrahim's arcane adviser, and Captain Karath would be the best bets. Qint can normally be found in the library in the Lord's Keep, which is open to the townsfolk. Captain Karath can usually be found in his office near the front gate when he is not on patrol or out dealing with a problem.
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

Marvel Super Heroes (Player): OOC IC Char
    The Frontier of Verazemya (Player): OOC IC Char
    Curse of Hel (Player): OOC IC Char
    Kobold Run (Player): OOC IC Char

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, a fellow arcanist, jolly good!" Mortheon is pleased to hear that there is a court wizard at Ogdenhall. "I'll drop in on him in a moment, after a quick word with the good Captain."

He seeks out Captain Karath. "Captain, a brief moment of your time if you would be so kind. I would like to ask about the tower. Our Lord has already agreed that we may borrow his horses to get there - how many day's ride is it from town? What is the terrain like? Have you or any any of your men been there recently and may be able to provide us with a map of the route, the area around the tower, or the tower's interior?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Captain Karath looks up from his desk, his manner very brusque, "With strong horses, it's about three days. The closest settlement to the tower is still a full day away from it. The terrain is relatively easy, mostly fields and gentle hills. My men and I have never been to the tower, in fact I don't believe anyone has actually been there in decades before Sir Kramer went. I don't have any maps, I'm not even sure any exist anymore. Qint would probably know if anyone does, he spends a lot of time in the library and is very familiar with it. Providing horses for your group is no problem, and I wish I could help more, but I really don't know any more. I'm a simple warrior and my job is to protect the people here in Ogdenhall."

With that he signals to one of his men and instructs him to prepare horses for your group to be ready to go at a moment's notice.
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you for everything, Captain. I will seek out Qint now." So saying, Mortheon bows courteously and makes to do just that.

He heads first to the library, asking directions if necessary.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Telain leads the way to the library. A tall, middle aged man with black hair streaked with gray is inside, studying a tome. Upon closer inspection, you can see it's a history of Ogdenhall. After a moment he looks up and says, "Ah, greetings Telain. You must be looking for me." He looks past Telain and continues, "My name is Qint, and I serve as Lord Ibrahim's adviser in arcane matters. I came here figuring you would be looking for some history on the tower. I know I have seen some, but now it seems to be missing. It is damned peculiar, but I shall tell you what I remember, although I suppose it probably isn't much more than what others have said, especially is you spoke to Quelaas. We did most of our divinations together. The tower is immense, almost two thirds the size of this fortress. It stands about sixty feet tall, and is built in a very strange manner, almost like a pyramid comprised of square floors with offset centers. Why it was built that way, I cannot say. What I do know is that it was built with some sort of special material that blocks, at the very least, divination magic from piercing its walls. We feared to try other forms of magic without proper forces. It radiates strongly of evil and necromantic magic, which means something truly foul must be occurring within its walls. Since it has not been used in almost a century, and the road to it looks like it still hasn't been used, most of us didn't think to focus our search there for a long time."

Qint closes the book he is reading, and stands up, "I wish I could remember more, or find the tome describing the tower's building and layout. I hope that I have been able to at least give you a little more information, please feel free to use the library or to ask me any questions you may have."
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

"A book? Missing? How odd!" Mortheon exclaims. "And I have to admit, somewhat suspicious given the precise circumstances we find ourselves in. Perhaps a spell to locate it would be in order? I'm afraid such things are outside of my own area of expertise, but my study of the arcane tells me that such things are possible at least, especially if the spell-caster has foreknowledge of what he is looking for. What do you think, Qint? Something that you or perhaps Quelaas could whip up? Since Altgrave was destroyed I have tended toward more caution rather than less when it comes to suspicion, so I am withholding judgement on whether foul play is afoot, but I daren't rule it out."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Qint nods and says, "Caution is always advised. And the magic to locate objects does exist, but it requires more extensive knowledge of what you want to find than I have. Unfortunately, the only way to find it is going to be old fashioned rummaging."
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Telain nods to Qint and then leads the group back to the stables. The horses Captain Karath had prepared for the party are lined up and ready to go.

Telain leads the group to Quevilin about a half day’s journey from Ogdenhall. Telain explains that Quevilin was the original settlement in this area, and it was the success of this town that lead Lord Ibrahim’s ancestors to found Ogdenhall. You depart again, this time heading for Orinthal, which is almost a day and a half ride away. Along the way you see regular patrols of armed men with the crest of Ogdenhall on their armor. These groups are slightly larger and better armed than the ones you saw to the east. Spending the night at an inn along the way, you can see that the lack of trade is severely affecting these people. Clothes are rattier, food and drink is thinner, and merriment is almost nonexistent. Looking at farms, the animals are also clearly suffering from hunger, and the plowshares and other equipment you can see need repair work. The sad condition of the farms is almost as sure to blame for the food situation as any other cause.

The group reaches Orinthal at nightfall on the second day out from Ogdenhall. Telain directs you to a small inn, almost no more than a couple spare bedrooms in someone's house. Telain explains that Orinthal is the town closest to the tower. You hear much chatter about how the town has severely shrunk in size due to people leaving for safer places. You also hear that many folks think that not everyone has left voluntarily, and more than a few blame Lord Ibrahim for not protecting them. Discontent and depression are stronger here than anywhere you have been to date.

In the morning the group sets out for the tower. The land steadily gets wilder, and the road clearly is quite unused after a fork in the road about an hour out. About an hour down the fork, the vegetation in the area starts looking extremely sickly and dying. You notice almost no animal life at all. After about 4 more hours of riding, a large, black structure can be seen in the distance in the middle of a large field. It almost looks more the a strange pyramid than a typical tower It contains multiple levels, each one square and set off center of the one below it. As you get closer, you see that the structure is immense, it must measure a couple hundred feet to a side and rises about sixty or so feet from the ground. From your vantage point, you cannot even see the bottom of the tower, for it is surrounded by a sturdy looking, vine covered wall that is twenty feet tall. The path you are on clearly leads up to a wrought iron front gate. The group stops maybe an hour away from the tower. There are about 2 hours left of daylight.
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Xenolph remained socially uncouth and alarmingly erratic the whole way to the tower. When they approached the gate Xenolph jumped off of his horse, examining the tower in the distance and the wall before them. "Cheap bastards, I should have known they'd give us a fixer-upper. Exterior is gonna need extensive remodeling to even appear remotely brilliant . . . and don't even get me started on the wall."

K'thil steps forward to look at the tower, and begins to reason with Xenolph, his voice small and chittering, "It's likely we can fund the renovations with whatever we find inside that we don't want to keep, so it's at least worth checking out."

Squinching his face, the aasimar replies to the odd bug, "Maybe so, familiar. We should look inside anyway to see if there's anything remotely brilliant in there, though this may not be what we need to make the legendary Beacon of Brilliance." He turns to the party member holding the Raise Dead scroll, "Hey, read that deed that we were given again, I forgot the name of the guy we're evicting."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Penance glares at the pyramid intently for 10-15mins: Shall we proceed then? then lifts the solid block maul of his shoulders and starts walking towards the monument. then stop abruptly and faces the party.

Oh yes, the flesh needs rest even though the souls are eager. However, tactically speaking, I doubt that we are any safer out here in the open than inside where we at least have cover. What say you?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well. Perhaps. We can certainly take a look at what this place may hold while the light remains!"

Privately, Mortheon thinks that perhaps a nice rope trick would be better to sleep in than an ancient tower steeped in evil.
    Last edited by Mr Adventurer; 2013-03-03 at 06:30 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Firbolg in the Playground

"We might as well enter now, if we rest we are more vulnerable, in there we will be more alert and that is the most important thing.", Renasha said, yawning.

15. - Top - End - #45

SamuraiGuy

Verywell, but do not distract me when your flesh becomes fatigued and you start to tire.

16. - Top - End - #46

Naesri gives Renasha a deadpan stare. "...says the one yawning and stretching. You should get more sleep."

"Anyway, I'll be fine to go."
    She adjusts her robe and grins at the rest. "Oh right. Before we enter, I should give us a bit of protection." She begins murmuring strange phrases of Power, and you feel a surge of life come through you from her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Syllable of Entropy (DC 21) repeatedly to give everyone 10 temporary HP. These last for 1 hour. I'm not rolling either roll because I can use these at will and, if failed/not at maximum, I'll just re-utter it.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Idares View Post
    Verywell, but do not distract me when your flesh becomes fatigued and you start to tire.
    "Now now, we'be talked about this my friend. Though the flesh may have failings, they should not be considered only distractions. They are as much a part of, ah, vigorous life as the ways in which you yourself know that it is time to repair yourself," Mortheon says to the Warforged as they trek toward the tower. His eyes, however, are only for the looming structure.

"Hmm. Fascinating. You see how the light catches the stones? They are laced with silver - a material known to enhance and strengthen certain kinds of magic. Whatever this place is, it was designed to be a focus of power. Whatever is using it now, we should be wary."

18. - Top - End - #48

"Of course I'm yawning, I'm bored from the walk here.", Renasha said, looking at the structure and seeing if she recalls something about it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bardic Knowledge: (1d20+12)[28]
    Knowledge History: (1d20+10)[15]

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Renasha stares at the tower, trying to think about what she may know about it. No particular details about this particular tower are remembered beyond something about this area being tamed a few centuries back and a couple of fortified installations being instrumental in that. Those installations must be the tower and Ogdenhall.

She does remember that she has seen the peculiar silvery mortar she sees in the construction of the tower and the exterior walls, it has something to do with enhancing magic and preventing divination magic.
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

As the group approaches the tower, K'thil suddenly tugs on Xenolph's sleeve and says urgently, "The vines on that gate are moving!"
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Xenolph shows little care for K'thil's warning, "How many times have I told you not to eat any blue rocks you find? You know those make you see things!" He continues to walk forward with no regard for whatever danger is impending.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh dear," Mortheon murmurs, "I had rather hoped for a more auspicious start to the investigation." He quickly chants a spell, bolstering himself against harm.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

The group continues to approach the front gate of the tower, falling into their familiar formation.

Suddenly, one of the vines whips out straight at Penance!

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack vs. AC 22 - (1d20+17)[20]
    Crit Confirm - (1d20+17)[19]
    Crit Fail - (1d100)[100]
    Damage - (1d6+11)[14]
    Vine Grapple - (1d20+25)[27] vs. Penance Grapple - (1d20+9)[25]

{table=head]Initiative Chart
    {table=head]Character|Initiative|Order
    Naesri Telleon|(1d20+3)[19]|2
    Mortheon Brightstar|(1d20+2)[13]|5
    Renasha|(1d20+6)[23]|1
    Xenolph the Brilliant|(1d20+1)[12]|6
    K'thil Klee|(1d20+8)[16]|3
    Penance|(1d20-5)[14]|4[/table][/table]

Penance's reactions are true however, and he manages to deflect the vine and prevent it from hitting him with any force.

Spoiler
    Show
    Man, those were some of the WORST rolls ever. Party's up!

Vines were surprise round.

Start Round 1
    Last edited by Archwizard; 2013-03-08 at 02:06 PM.
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

K'thil reacts a little bit slow, but in the blink of an eye he's holding and firing five crossbows, reloading them with his sixth hand with surprising speed.

Spoiler
    Show
    K'thil draws the five crossbows (free action due to quick draw), and full-attacks the vines (full-round action) and reloads all five crossbows (free action due to rapid reload).

(1d20+7)[26] Attack
    (1d20+7)[16] Confirm
    (1d6)[3] Damage
    (1d6)[2] Crit Damage

(1d20+7)[22] Attack
    (1d20+7)[11] Confirm
    (1d6)[6] Damage
    (1d6)[6] Crit Damage

(1d20+7)[13] Attack
    (1d20+7)[16] Confirm
    (1d6)[2] Damage
    (1d6)[2] Crit Damage

(1d20+7)[20] Attack
    (1d20+7)[8] Confirm
    (1d6)[5] Damage
    (1d6)[4] Crit Damage

(1d20+7)[19] Attack
    (1d20+7)[16] Confirm
    (1d6)[3] Damage
    (1d6)[1] Crit Damage

Xenolph finally takes in the situation after seeing several crossbow bolts fly past him, "What the . . . " he looks stunned for a moment before he becomes very angry, "I HATE WEEDS. TASTE A FACEFULL OF WIZARD, YOU GREEN FREAKS OF NATURE!" he screams as he launches a large bolt of fire from his hands.

Spoiler
    Show
    Xenolph manifests Energy Missile (Fire) for 8 power points (2 of those from Wild Surge) and fires it at the vines. DC 23 Reflex Save to halve the (8d6+8)[41] fire damage. Xenolph also draws his morning star.

Roll for Psychic Enervation (10% chance, 10 or lower triggering it): (1d100)[65]

EDIT: Psychic Enervation not triggered, so Xenolph now has +1 morale bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls and saves for two rounds.
    Last edited by Aldurin; 2013-03-08 at 02:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Four of K'thil's bolts slam into the vines and you see green ichor seeping from where the bolts are sticking out. The bolt of fire from Xenolph is not far behind, and it burns the vines, they attempt to twitch out of the way...

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex Save vs. DC 23 - (1d20+0)[15]

...but they cannot and a large section of the plant burns heartily.
    Last edited by Archwizard; 2013-03-08 at 02:38 PM.
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

26. - Top - End - #56

Renasha lets loose with an arrow, she says: "Look out! These things might even be dangerous!"

Spoiler
    Show
    To hit(1d20+7)[13]
    damage(1d6+1)[2]

27. - Top - End - #57

Closing her eyes for the briefest of moments, Naesri snaps them open with strange sigils floating across her field of vision. "Perhaps, Rena, perhaps. We shall see soon enough..."

She smirks at her pun.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Recitation of the Unclouded Eye, activate. See the exact HP total of creatures and their alignments.
    Truespeak: (1d20+21)[17](38) against DC 11. (EDIT: Actually, that's supposed to be +29 for a total of 46, not that it matters this time...)

I would like this resolved and information obtained before Naesri uses the rest of her turn.
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2013-03-08 at 04:47 PM.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

28. - Top - End - #58

SamuraiGuy

Alarmed by the brute force by which the plant shatterd the ground next to him, Penance puts caution to the wind. He draws his inflamed Maul, takes one step closer to the deadly vines, then shouts towards the heavens "My Lady Istus, I beg your favour!" and halts infront of the montrosity with his weapon close to his chest and pauldrons leaning forward bracing for an impact.
    Spoiler
    Show

Take a 5foot step (FreeAction), draws his maul (MEAc), Use Law Devotion to gain +3 AC for 1min (Swift Action) and goes on total defence (Std Ac). I want to get in closer, but prevent an AoO, damn you reach!
    Should have AC29 now though!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh dear! Fortune favour us all!" Mortheon scrambles to ready his bow as he backs away from the animate vines, loosing an arrow only to see it shatter against the stones of the wall. "Drat!"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

As the party fires at the vines, they lash out at Penance again, trying to wrap him up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack vs. AC 29 - (1d20+17)[20]
    Crit Confirm - (1d20+17)[23]
    Crit Fail - (1d100)[56]
    Damage - (1d6+11)[14]
    Crit Damage - (1d6+11)[14]
    Vine Grapple - (1d20+25)[26] vs. Penance Grapple - (1d20+9)[23]

After the plant's attack: Start Round 2.

However, Penance's caution and defensive stance pay off, for he manages to fend off the grasping vines yet again.
    Last edited by Archwizard; 2013-03-09 at 11:39 AM.
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC