New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Sources and Dragons (IC)

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Pixie in the Playground

As Vvaren notices the sign he pauses for a moment, takes a deep breath and enters the church.
    The True pwnage

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Vvaren has no trouble entering the building. Ashlee stands as he enters, "Welco...." She cuts off in mid-sentance, staring at the vampire for a moment before moving to stand in front of the three town'sfolk. "What do you want here?"
    Epic Sorc ~ "You said I could have this spell."
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Treehuggers:

You both believe that you'll find a dryad nearby...though you don't spot anything further out of the ordinary just yet.
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

5. - Top - End - #185
    Pixie in the Playground

Vvaren offers a low apologetic bow for his intrusion "I was only wondering of where my party have wondered of to and I would also like to apologize for my previous actions I was somewhat flustered by Dano's ability to trust everything with people we don't know even though this infection might effect the minds workings." Vvaren states calmly. "Not to offend you and your people I am just not sure who we can trust."
    The True pwnage

6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Ashlee looks horrified as she listens to Vvaren's words. "Dano is working on building a wall. The quarry is that way." She points, but retains her defensive stance between Vvaren and her people. Her friends seem confused by the entire exchange, but they remain silent and simply watch.

"Your other companion is right there, though he has yet to introduce himself. If there were any others I have not seen them."
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

7. - Top - End - #187
    Pixie in the Playground

"The fey are most likely this way. If we continue we may see first signs of their prescience. Though they may already know of our arrival, let us take caution."

Kaliand'r continues forward, at a slower pace now.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Quite sorry to have not bothered to mention my name, considering my duties for the time. I am known, although admittedly by few, as Vyn. Is there anything else you wish to know?"

Avatars courtesy of Qwernt (Nagahydra) and jamroar (Ice Devil).

9. - Top - End - #189

"Yes, there is definitely a dryad nearby."

Drak'tek calls Tatch to his side and continues forward, taking care to keep his four hands away from his weapons.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Kaliand'r and Drak'tek:

As you continue on you hear a small giggle. A pixie flutters up, around Kaliand'r's head, and off to the side. It pauses several meters away as if waiting for you before continuing off.

(I'm going to assume you follow.)

The pixie doesn't seem to be leading you deeper into the strange forest, but instead skirts along the edge about 500 meters before diving down into the brush. As the path clears before you, you see the sprite sitting on the body of a man. It giggles once again before disappearing.

The dead man is wearing armor of the army of Pitra. Though he appears mostly human there is a greenish tinge to his skin and there is a scrawny pair of wings sprouting awkwardly through his clothing.
    Last edited by Fuzzball; 2006-11-27 at 08:09 AM.
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

11. - Top - End - #191
    Pixie in the Playground

Vvaren was obviously confused by Ashlee's remark "Thank you very much." Vvaren pauses for a moment as if listening. "do not be afraid but my sword has some questions. Hello young lady my name is Fenrisar and my companions name is Vvaren. We would like to engage some of the local civilians and families of the missing folk in questioning." "I must check in with Dano as well fenrisar." "Do what you must but if any of the missing people are still alive we can't wait for them to die. So please young woman would you kindly provide us with the locations and names of some people we can speak to about the missing people."
    Last edited by Cows Go Rawr; 2006-11-26 at 03:53 PM.
    The True pwnage

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Ashlee looks at Vyn and responds, "I have no questions for you at the moment, though you may ask questions of me if you like."

She looks disturbed as the sword begins to speak to her, but its concern for her people eases the tension from her. "Of course...." the words come out hesitantly. "Give me a moment." She disappears into the sleeping quarters and returns a moment later with a small book. She opens it and pauses before handing it to the vampire. "I've been keeping a record. I would suggest starting with the soldiers. They've lost the most people."
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

13. - Top - End - #193
    Pixie in the Playground

Vvaren stands a bit more at ease now that Ashlee is being more helpful.
    "Thank you for your aid in this matter we will begin the questioning at once, now I will take my leave, thank you once again." with that Vvaren offered a low bow and left the church.

Vvaren made his way as best he could towards Dano but Ashlee gave him very poor directions, Vvaren was glad of the nice break from all these people he was still adjusting to all these people who hated him only for his appearance and judged him before the grew to understand him, but he didn't give this village a chance so he deserved it as far as he could see, with that he approached Dano. "Hello, one wonders what you are thinking when we hear you are making a wall. So please do tell how long do you intend to take." "Do we have time to engage so villagers in questioning?" The sword added.

The True pwnage

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

Dano

He doesn't answer the duo right away, his vision is focused intently on the massive cluster of rock at his feet, the metalwork that was laying on top of it, and his hands resting upon both. As the sword and Vvaren finish speaking, and the vampire blinks, the cluster of rock and metal are gone, and are replaced by a massive slab of smooth stone. It's measurements are immense, some five feet thick, twelve feet tall, and there are two segments each fifteen feet wide. With a sigh and a blink, Dano looks at them and nods. "This project will probably be done in a few hours. I have already questioned most of the villagers, though, before I started working on the wall." He waves a hand at Garath's hulking form, jerking a thumb at the new slabs.

"The information I've gathered is not very helpful. The individuals walk off, doing their normal business and then are gone, no word being heard of where they went or what happened. There haven't been any witnesses to these disappearances. I have sent the two nature-loving individuals to start combing the woods and talking with the wildlife to see if they have heard or seen anything unusual. I have also instructed the townsfolk to travel in packs of four... two awake and two asleep. This will ensure no one will walk off by themself without someone seeing it.

As for the wall, it's meant to not only keep people in, but keep intruders out. We still don't know if it's an individual or group of individuals who are entering the area and spiriting the townsfolk away, as opposed to them disappearing somewhere else. And, I figured if we're going to make a wall, we're going to do it right. Hence the large slabs of rock. That wooden fort they have just won't cut it any more... not against anything significant."

He looks at the slabs of stone, and then the other slabs behind him (some three dozen slabs), and sighs. "I know it's not a perfect plan, but I figure it'll help stem the loss of people while we figure out what happened to those already missing. I also have instructed our last party member, Vyn, to follow Ashlee, keep her safe. The people seem to trust her, so I want her well-protected. If you want to re-examine the folks and the evidence, feel free. The house of the most recent 'abductee,' for lack of a better word, looks to be in pristine condition, with no traces of magic or foul play. Let me know what you find out."

With that, he moves to another pile of rock and starts arranging pieces and parts where he would like them to sit.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Thanks for making connections between friends come to life.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Pixie in the Playground

Kaliand'r and the "tree-huggers" follow the pixie until their path leads to a dead body. As the pixie disappears, Kali walks closer to the body. Motioning or his two companions to pause he goes to investigate the body.

"He is not human, perhaps a half orc..but the wings..? He is a demi breed of some sort. Why would the pixie lead us here?"

Kaliand'r looks back up at Drak'tek, to see if he has any suggestions.

{OOC: Any checks to see how or why he died? Or if there's any significance to the area?}

16. - Top - End - #196
    Pixie in the Playground

Vvaren tryed to look unimpressed but failed miserably "Nice trick Dano looks like you have everything under control here and I'll trust that you inspected the villagers enough and your travle in fours thing sounds good too. Do you need any help with anything else? Fenrisar please remind me to return Ashlee's book before we leave.
    The True pwnage

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

Dano

"No, I don't need any more help with what I'm doing... it's not really something you can help with. But, like I said, if you want to help Vyn make sure Ashlee is safe, that'd probably be where I'd like you to go. Security around this place is going to be our biggest concern until the wall is finished. If you have a way of providing overwatch to the entire village itself, I'd suggest doing that instead."
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

18. - Top - End - #198
    Pixie in the Playground

"I can fly but i doubt i can watch the entire boarder so i will go return this book to the cleric and watch her for a while please be quick with your wall we should start our search elsewhere." With that Vvaren turned back the way he came and returned to the church, but didn't enter Vvaren just waited outside and made sure that no one suspicious entered.
    The True pwnage

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Garath chuckled a little as he set yet onther massive pile of stone and ore into place. He wasn't even tiring, with that incredible constitutions of his, not to mention the magical ways of Dano.

"Dano, that vampire is the most vulnerable of our group. He falls from the mere light of day. Though I supose he could remain in my shadow for thos times!"

Garath let out a booming laugh as he picked up another another slab and began to walk to his partner.

"The tree-huggers are unknowns to me, but they seem to care far too much about their nature for our own good. That's the problem though, my friend. I only know of your powers and faults. I know nothing of the others. I supose I knw my own, but my mind has likely barred the idea of a fault from my ability."

The half dragon laughed again as he continued with his work, not even bothering to wait for a reply from Dano. He held no ill will to any of his party members, he merely enjoyed a good laugh every once in a while. While he had no shready of humanity within his scaled body, he had fought against and with many of their kind, being able to pick up some of their traits along the way.
    All your base are belong to us!

Mistakes happen. Though the chance to cure it is always there, people fail to do so. We will miss our friend, who we will always support.

20. - Top - End - #200

Drak'teks hands go to his weapons.

"He looks like a half-dragon, like myself. But, who or what killed him?"

Drak'tek searches to area around the body to discover whether anyone else has been in the area or for any other signs of what happened.

Survival: (1d20+20=33)

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

Dano

The man chuckles as he listens to his friend talk. "Sometimes, I wonder if you are more human than many of us... " He speaks more to himself than his friend, letting his comment drift off as he sees the brute run off at full speed with well over fifty thousand pounds of material in his arms like it was nothing. He walks over to the next cluster of rock and sets to work on it.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

(Telepathy)
    "There is a fine line to most things, I've seen them crossed many times. Though I may not be human, I try to act as though I was, hoping to calm those I see, and attract less hatred. Over the centuries, it has become habbit. I'm sure you remember. When we first met, I was almost ready to comit a genocide just to find a bit of peace. But, it would seem that if even one of you humans is decent, you can save face for the rest of you."

Garth chuckled as he tossed another slab of rock into place. He had a great arm for anything. He was incredibly powerful, he had the dexterity of a cat, and he was a tank for all things. This man seemed perfect in every way. Once the initial fright was over, he was a very nice person, that had a powerful persona. Only Dano knew the full story.

Mistakes happen. Though the chance to cure it is always there, people fail to do so. We will miss our friend, who we will always support.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Orc in the Playground

Dano

"Yes, and I remember teaching you that death cannot bring one true peace. Do you ever grow weary of this endless battle, Garath? The one where we have to protect those who cannot protect themselves? Do you ever think it will come to an end, and we can finally rest?"

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

"Nay, it won't end. Not as long as the people do not stand up and tend for themselves. If we ever hope to rest, it will be a long, taxing time for us beforehand. We need to teach the weak to grow strong, and fight with all their might. Then we might have a year or two off."

Garath understood Dano's plight. Both of them were very similar, but Garath knew the difference with ease. Another war was going to break out, maybe then he could have the smell of blood on his claws once again.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

Dano

"So what do we do for these people? How can we teach them to fight the battle against something which they cannot see or hear?"

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Garth smiled as he approached Dano once again, the rock already set in place.

"We teach them with example. We cannot hide it from view any longer. The people need to know what is out there and become strong enough to face it. A goblin can crush a dragon, but only if he works hard enough. People say my talents are natural, and I don't deserve my power. Lies. I earned every once of this might, by surviving in this world. The world that wanted my death so baddly."

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

Dano

"And the world that succeeded in mine."
    Dano speaks quietly, sighing as he watches his friend work. "Do you think our suffering has a purpose though? Do you really think they are learning?" His voice takes on a bitter tone, his voice is raised slightly. "I have lived longer than any man should live. I will continue to live longer than any man shall live. Why can't they learn? Why can't humankind take an ounce of responsibility? Why must the few suffer so the majority can continue their lives cattle? Cattle, Garath! That's what they all are!" He exaggerates his movements now, becoming quite animated and clearly upset.

He drops to his knees, holding himself. "I don't know how much longer I can do this, Garath. I'm not a man anymore. I'm a monster."

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

"You are no monster Dano. Remember me in that last war? That was monsterous. I didn't stop. We had won, but I just couldn't stop. I let my cruel half take control, and I slaughtered them all. You couldn't stop me in time..."

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

Dano

He looked up at his friend, his eyes a solid black. He didn't know how to respond. His friend was vicious, cruel, and ruthless on the battlefield. He had the scars to prove it. "We both have done horrible things in the name of justice and righteousness. Your pureblood brethren can attest to that."

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

"True, but this is the sad truth. If we turned the other cheek and decided to live for evil, the world would likely sit in the palms of our mighty hands. Simply because so many people are not willing to work hard and fight with their all."

Garath picked up another slab as he began to run off again, having some fun, by hurling it into the air and catching it.