New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

cool OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*

This is a general discussion thread for all of the Kickstarter bonus PDF stories that will be coming to the inboxes of people who backed the pledge drive. The first such story, "Uncivil Servant," is available for download now through the Kickstarter update page (but only if you're logged in as a backer).

Some rules for this thread:
    • Since the point is to discuss these stories, there's no need to mark spoilers for them in this thread. Go ahead and talk about them.
    • On the other hand, please don't outline the entire plot here. I don't want reading this thread to be a workable substitute for reading them.
    • Please don't start a second thread for discussing these; we'll just end up merging them.
    • These stories will be available in print someday for everyone else who didn't back, so if you don't have them now and you think you're likely to buy the book in which they appear...don't read any further!
    • When posting around the rest of the forum, I strongly recommend spoilering (and marking WHY you're spoilering) any reference to these stories. That'll be more an issue with the plot-heavy ones like O-Chul's story than this first Belkar one, but I thought I'd mention it now.
    • Discussion of the Kickstarter itself and the progress being made on future stories should stay on the existing Kickstarter thread. This is for talking about the stories themselves after they've been released.

I think that's about it. I'll keep a list of what stories have been released here, so that people can see if they've missed one.

RELEASED PDF STORIES:
    • Uncivil Servant, starring Belkar Bitterlead (2/21/13)
    • StickTales: Haleo and Julelan (8/15/13)
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*

I loved the Belkar story. I totally did not see the twist coming.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*

I can't really blame Belkar for making that mistake.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Oh man.. I thought I saw it coming, and thought that it was a trite story, but wrong again. Beautifully done.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nicely tied in with Belkar's running gags.

Bravo!

Although I was left with a question from the back story for this back story. He was a slave?!?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Magnificent! Did not see the ending coming at all. XD

Coventry's right, now there are even more questions about his back story. There are so many slavers in D&D, after all; how are we to know which ones he killed?
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coventry View Post
    Nicely tied in with Belkar's running gags.

Bravo!

Although I was left with a question from the back story for this back story. He was a slave?!?
    I'm assuming he was enslaved by the guy who knows a guy. Or possibly a guy that guy knows.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coventry View Post
    I wonder if that's how he knew Buggy Lou.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh. 49th shade of grey is tied up. I c wat u did thar.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

At first, I thought the twist didn't follow, but yeah, it all matches up, with the house not burning down and... Wow. That was almost as scarring as the normal comic right now.
    "Live to the point of tears." ~ Albert Camus
    Avatar by Josh L., used with permission

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Wow, the twist was totally unexpected. I liked the joke about bloody deathmatch being redundant on the first go, but the next panel takes a whole new sense if you know what's going on.

Nice 4th wall breakage there about venture capitalists. Is "Ali S" supposed to be "alias"?

Anyone else thinks that baker's wife looks like Haley?

12. - Top - End - #12

I think it is much more than that.

The current story line in the strip strongly implies that Belkar is about to be enslaved. Again.

And we know (in vague terms) what happened to the slavers the last time that took place.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I came here to check if there was a new OOTS comic up, but ended up with 12 pages :D

It's a good one too, and adds a little fun to the character, without going as far as actually making him likable.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Yeah, me too! Went to see what was up with the sexy shoeless God of War, and got 12 pages worth! Woot! Great short, Giant, way to tide me over!
    I participated!

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasLawyer View Post
    I'm not guessing or questioning anything anymore. I'm just here to enjoy the free buffet.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well. That was not a twist I foresaw... although I do wonder where all those rags-to-riches stories were coming from

16. - Top - End - #16

WolfInSheepsClothing

I loved the story. Although one of my first thoughts was "Even if this was Belkar's entire backstory, it's still more complex than some backstories I've gotten at my table."
    "GMs wear many hats. They are referee, administrator, actor, author, and storyteller, and all of this without a paycheck. Anyone who doesn't appreciate what their GM does for them has no soul."
    --Anonymous, but appears in the L5R GM's Survival Guide

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Tehe, pretty good. Anyone who doesn't have access to this story should be ashamed and disappointed. ASHAMED AND DISAPPOINTED!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

great story thx now get to work on the others /cracks_whip

PS the 49 shades of gray had me giggling keep it up..

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I knew there was something off about the shakedown, I just couldn't quite put my finger on it. When the mayor reacted with disgust, I simply thought they were the overseers of the whole racket, and that's where the bounty money came from. Great twist, and I love how their dialogue reads through completely differently on a second read-through.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2013-02-21 at 06:42 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Belkar's prequel story, wherein some townsfolk discover the problems inherent in relying on armed vagrants to solve their problems.
    Last edited by Morty; 2013-02-21 at 06:41 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

21. - Top - End - #21

Downloading as I speak... I literally cannot wait . Thank you Giant, you are a true gentleman!

22. - Top - End - #22

lovely story!

Rich, should OOTS ever finish and you don't have any idea yet what to do next, then just release a new belkar story every week. the adventures of this clueless cook are certainly awesome enough for its own spinoff-comic!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    IAs the other PDFs are also prequels, I'll assume they'll be B&W as well, but I want to check and make sure due to the teaser poster when the kick starter was announced - will the O-Chul PDF be black and white, or full color?
    O-Chul will be in "bluescale," or monochrome blue. Think black-and-white, but with shades of blue instead of shades of grey. Therkla's story will probably be the same way, since she's from Azure City too. If you want to see what it looks like, check out the cover image I used for O-Chul's story during the Kickstarter.

The other prequel stories (C.P.P.D and Sir Francois & the Dragon), the StickTales (Haleo and Julelan), and Julio Scoundrél will be in black-and-white, to match the existing stories of the same group from Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales. Dim Sun will be in full color.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

24. - Top - End - #24

Thoughts:
    • Pah, silly halfling. Everyone knows cask is superior to keg.
    • Is... is that the Giant's hand? Is this the first ever in-comic appearence of Rich?
    • That guy looks weird wearing a helmet.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fergo View Post
    Thoughts:
    • Is... is that the Giant's hand? Is this the first ever in-comic appearence of Rich?
    either this is his left hand, or better yet his thumb is really better!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Great story Giant! Thank you!

27. - Top - End - #27

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post

RELEASED PDF STORIES:
    • Uncivil Servant, starring Belkar Bitterlead (2/21/13)
    Belkar is so tough he can CHEW METAL!

Seriously, though, it was an easy mistake to make. And they should be grateful! Belkar solved all their problems.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Loved it!

I haven't enjoyed a story like this since Groo went out of print.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by AdInfinitum View Post
    At first, I thought the twist didn't follow, but yeah, it all matches up, with the house not burning down and... Wow. That was almost as scarring as the normal comic right now.
    Wow, I never even thought about that . This may well be the last time we ever see Belkar as, well, Belkar.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximKat View Post
    Anyone else thinks that baker's wife looks like Haley?
    Yeah, I actually thought it was her and that the story was taking a completely unexpected direction...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Loved it. Belkar rocks.
    OotS Quiz Junkie

Spoiler
    Show

Oh great Machine God, we beseech thee to deliver us from danger.
    Oh great Machine God, we beseech thee to invest this metal carcass with your spirit.
    Oh great Machine God, we beseech thee to bring life unto the inanimate.
    Oh great Machine God, we beseech thee to summon forth the holy en-Djinn
    Incantation of the Mechanicus