New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Leorik View Post

I was considering using Tasslehoff Burrfoot for this comparison, but that would be unfair to Tas. With a few exceptions, including Lord Soth, there was nothing Tas was afraid of, including Hobgoblins, Wooly Mammoths, Ancient Black Dragons, Evil Clerics, Raistlin Majere, Time Travel, being polymorphed into a mouse, or fighting on Dragonback. Tas was more badass than many heroes twice his size!
    That's less to do with Tas's badassery as an individual and more to do with the fact that his race is biologically wired to be completely insane by (most) human cultural standards.

But yeah, I think we can all agree Nale ranks pretty low on the badass scale.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2013-08-26 at 06:49 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    That's less to do with Tas's badassery as an individual and more to do with the fact that his race is biologically wired to be completely insane by (most) human cultural standards.

But yeah, I think we can all agree Nale ranks pretty low on the badass scale.
    Even by Kender standards, Tas is really badass. The only Kender more badass than Tasslehoff Burrfoot was Uncle Trapspringer; Uncle Trapspringer makes Paul Bunyan look like a wimp!

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

Gah! The link's diverted to the Dragonlance thread AGAIN!

Anyone got a link for the OotS pdf thread that actually works?

4. - Top - End - #454
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
    Gah! The link's diverted to the Dragonlance thread AGAIN!

Anyone got a link for the OotS pdf thread that actually works?
    Eh? I just went to update #61 on Kickstarter and the link there works fine--which link are you using?

5. - Top - End - #455
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Eh? I just went to update #61 on Kickstarter and the link there works fine--which link are you using?
    S/he's complaining somewhat obliquely about this thread being off-topic (which, honestly, it is).

6. - Top - End - #456
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Being the derp that I am, I only just realised Haleo and Julelan was out. It was great for the most part, though honestly the scene towards the end with Julelan stabbing himself with the knife... disturbed me. I mean, I knew I would be subjected to a few suicide references this being a retelling of Romeo and Juliet and all, but I wasn't expecting the knife ... with the sound effects... and the pained expression... and the visible scars shaped like... I'm going to stop typing now.
    Last edited by oppyu; 2013-08-28 at 08:01 AM.

7. - Top - End - #457

Yeah, but I think that's normal. These are characters that we're all emotionally invested in. It's normal to cringe when a four-punchline pileup happens at a beloved character's expense.

It also highlights how Shakespeare deals with topics like death, murder, and suicide and we still take it so casually as great literature.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2013-08-29 at 12:16 AM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

8. - Top - End - #458
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomar_of_Uointer View Post
    It also highlights how Shakespeare deals with topics like death, murder, and suicide and we still take it so casually as great literature.
    I'm not a huge Shakespeare buff myself, but I think that's a lot of the reason why it's so respected. They're interesting, not to mention extremely important, topics.
    !

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Rich, if you don't mind answering this question, was the fact that Tarquin was acting like he thought he knew what kind of story he was in, but getting it completely wrong in Haleo and Julelan a reflection of/foreshadowing of Tarquin's development in the main comic?

I ask because while the clues were there before, and have been talked about here and there*, it wasn't until I saw Tarquin so spectacularly miss the point of what was going on around him in H&J that I really started to look for it in the main strip. And just a few strips later in the main comic we see Tarquin completely miss the point about what sort of story he is in. Or at least try to warp the story to such a degree that it is more to his liking.

So, was this intentional foreshadowing? Happenstance? Or just a reflection of what had already been established of the character?

* I'm trying to remember just how much discussion we've had on the forum about Tarquin not realizing 'what sort of story' he was in. I know we've had it, but I'm not sure to what degree it was really looked at. Memory being the first to go and all that.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

10. - Top - End - #460
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Rich, if you don't mind answering this question, was the fact that Tarquin was acting like he thought he knew what kind of story he was in, but getting it completely wrong in Haleo and Julelan a reflection of/foreshadowing of Tarquin's development in the main comic?

I ask because while the clues were there before, and have been talked about here and there*, it wasn't until I saw Tarquin so spectacularly miss the point of what was going on around him in H&J that I really started to look for it in the main strip. And just a few strips later in the main comic we see Tarquin completely miss the point about what sort of story he is in. Or at least try to warp the story to such a degree that it is more to his liking.

So, was this intentional foreshadowing? Happenstance? Or just a reflection of what had already been established of the character?

* I'm trying to remember just how much discussion we've had on the forum about Tarquin not realizing 'what sort of story' he was in. I know we've had it, but I'm not sure to what degree it was really looked at. Memory being the first to go and all that.
    Yes, it was absolutely intentional. It's always been a trait of Tarquin's character, in the same way as Haley's greediness and Elan's obsession with his puppet also bled through to their H+J characters.

I would call it a reflection, not foreshadowing, because I didn't really think it was a secret. Like, at all. He's said that he was obviously the Main Villain of Elan's story several times, it just didn't affect what actually happened much until now. In H+J, it just seemed appropriate that Tarquin would likewise assume that the ancient feud was the A-Plot, given the fact that the lovers don't even meet until the end of the first act.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

11. - Top - End - #461

MindFlayer

Aha! Sweet confirmation!

It's going to be SO MUCH FUN to read what you'll have to write about Tarquin in the book.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I would call it a reflection, not foreshadowing, because I didn't really think it was a secret. Like, at all. He's said that he was obviously the Main Villain of Elan's story several times, it just didn't affect what actually happened much until now.
    Thanks for that. And you're absolutely right about the Main Villain thing and that had absolutely been discussed (and discussed and discussed). I guess what threw people for a loop is Tarquin's reaction when he found out that his expectations in regards to Elan were wrong. I suppose people thought that he would use his faith in narrative mechanics to try to turn the story to his advantage.

Which, I suppose he is attempting to do. Just not in the way many people suspected.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-09-05 at 12:34 PM.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

13. - Top - End - #463
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    Aha! Sweet confirmation!

It's going to be SO MUCH FUN to read what you'll have to write about Tarquin in the book.
    100+ This. My wife only reads the Books. I WANT TO DISCUSS THIS WITH HER SO MUCH.

I would call it a reflection, not foreshadowing, because I didn't really think it was a secret. Like, at all. He's said that he was obviously the Main Villain of Elan's story several times, it just didn't affect what actually happened much until now.
    It's not so much that it was a secret, as that the idea that he'd misread the Xykon plot completely, rather than just choosing to focus on his own personal plot (as the sub-plot relating to him), was what I missed.

I figured he knew Elan wasn't really the leader (which is sort of true), but not that he thought he could de-rail the plot by killing Roy thus forcing Elan into the narrative role of leader.

What I like is that, if he does manage to kill Roy, he's effectively *right*. Xykon is Roy's quest. If he dies, Elan and Haley would become the core long-term protagonists, and the main plot would revolve around their quest to get revenge for Roy, Elan's mentor, on Elan's father. Obviously, he's not going to kill Roy again (unless there's hidden value in DStP II: Another Turn of the Revolving Door), but it's not like he's completely misread it, he just thinks he can manipulate the narrative (when that power belongs only to the Giant).

I love this storyline so much.
    Last edited by deworde; 2013-09-06 at 07:33 AM.
    To the guy responsible for Belkar, Haley and Vaarsuvius. Thank you for providing over 800 comedy gems.

My Favourite Giant Posts
    Well, It Took 10 Years, But His Tolerance For Rules-Based Criticism Finally Snapped Like A Dry Breadstick
    Race Should Not Dictate Alignment

"What's the point in defending the defensible? Where's the challenge in that?" - Nick Naylor, Thank You for Smoking

Spot the Toxic Comic Fans! Gotta Catch 'Em All!

14. - Top - End - #464
    Troll in the Playground

[QUOTE=deworde;15969767]I figured he knew Elan wasn't really the leader (which is sort of true), but not that he thought he could de-rail the plot by killing Roy thus forcing Elan into the narrative role of leader.... but it's not like he's completely misread it, he just thinks he can manipulate the narrative (when that power belongs only to the Giant)./QUOTE]

Tarquin thinking his could derail the plot is the mistake we are pointing out. There is no "what-if" Tarquin succeeds because Tarquin succeeding would run against the entire OOTS story to date. However, it isn't as if narrative metaknowledge can't be used to perform amazing things. Elan has shown time and again he can take obscene advantage of his knowledge of narrative.

As in swooping in to save Haley without knowing where she is, or warning people of an near impossible threat before it occurs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

With Haleo and Julelan out, I thought it might be fun to pull up the two speculation threads about H&J and see how close we came as a community.

Since thread necormancy is a no-no, linking here will have to be second best.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231896 (initial spec thread in Feb 2012)
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253822 (separate spec thread in Aug 2012)

Some takaways:

Pretty much everyone got Tarquin's and Ian's roles nailed down.
    Tyblat was pretty much split 50/50 between Nale and Belkar.
    Only one person correctly predicted that The Nurse would be Banjo.
    Lots of people guessed Durkon as the Friar. There were some guesses for Malack as the Apocathery, but I don't beleive anyone correctly guessed it would be Grubwiggler.
    Not that this is a surpise, but not one saw Roy being written out of the story and Belkar getting such a minor role.
    And absolutely no one saw the Empress of Blood as a totally bitchin' rad Prince(ss) Escalus.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2013-09-07 at 08:02 PM.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

With Haleo and Julelan out, I thought it might be fun to pull up the two speculation threads about H&J and see how close we came as a community.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231896 (initial spec thread in Feb 2012)
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253822 (separate spec thread in Aug 2012)

Some takaways:

Lots of people guessed Durkon as the Friar. There were some guesses for Malack as the Apocathery, but I don't beleive anyone correctly guessed it would be Grubwiggler.
    Not that this is a surpise, but not one saw Roy being written out of the story and Belkar getting such a minor role.
    And absolutely no one saw the Empress of Blood as a totally bitchin' rad Prince(ss) Escalus.
    Yeah, Hinjo was the favorite for Escalus, but the Empress was so much funnier.

That one who called Vaarcutio on the first page of the first thread deserves a cookie!

17. - Top - End - #467

I see I wasn't the only one to pick Therkla as Paris. Tarquin and Ian were pretty much a given. Sabine as Tarquin's wife nobody seems to have seen coming. The Empress of Blood was priceless, and better than anyone could have predicted.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

18. - Top - End - #468
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Not sure if this is the most correct place for it, but I ordered Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales and it was so great. My favorite story was definitely Greenhilt: Prince of Denmark,* but I really enjoyed all of it.

*Because oh man, have I ever mentioned how much I love Hamlet?

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

Some takaways:

Wait a minute,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Who's the apothecary again. At least I got Durkon as Friar right.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Wait a minute,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Who's the apothecary again. At least I got Durkon as Friar right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The apothecary is the guy who sells Romeo/Haleo the poison to kill him/herself. In Haleo and Julelan, he was portrayed by Hieronymous Grubwiggler.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

21. - Top - End - #471

SwashbucklerGuy

Tortle Ninja is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, the tortle ninja was pretty good, but that wasn't my favorite Summer Monster. As soon as I saw the "small fish", I said to myself "Man, I hope there's a Bigger Fish in there". And the Giant did not disappoint.

Oh, and let's also not overlook that he included That Damn Crab, too.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

23. - Top - End - #473

Quote Originally Posted by JackRackham View Post
    I came here just to say that
    Power equals power

The hero of any story can defy danger - but only a special hero can defy stories themselves.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JackRackham View Post
    Tortle Ninja is cool, but rude.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Gimme a break!

26. - Top - End - #476

Anyone else plan on printing out the Linear Guild to go with their Morland Miniatures for now?

27. - Top - End - #477

SwashbucklerGuy

This one's especially rude. Notice the Sais and red eye mask. I'm sure he's aggressive and cracks wise.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ettin in the Playground

When I saw the Walrus, I am feeling that either a viking dentist or his fan will modify it to be riding mount or his familiar! GLORIOUS.
    It's a reference to Robbaz, a swedish guy who was known for his Skyrim unarmed viking and his pet walrus.
    So many Asian wizards this season.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

29. - Top - End - #479
    Colossus in the Playground

"Watch your tongue! Or neither your brother nor your stepmother'll keep you stayin' alive, stayin' alive."

Page 9 of Haleo and Julelan; in retrospect, a big hint to Tarquin's callous willingness to slaughter Nale, even naming the only two people who really care about Nale.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow

"Spoiler Alert" spoiler alert:

Spoiler
    Show
    I love the fact that the spoiler alert at the beginning of "Spoiler Alert" turned out to be foreshadowing for the spoiler Therkla was alerted to which she decided that she didn't want to have spoiled for her.

This will all make sense once you've read "Spoiler Alert."