New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I'm confused. Is that referring to the last line, "It's as true today as it was when I started adventuring: 'when in doubt, set something on fire?'" The only thing set on fire were his old clothes. Or am I missing something?
    Yes, I believe that's it. Reread the last half-page or so of the PDF.
    SSBitP
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "Creativity is the art of knowing how to hide one's sources." - Original quote, DO NOT STEAL.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*

I'm confused. Is that referring to the last line, "It's as true today as it was when I started adventuring: 'when in doubt, set something on fire?'" The only thing set on fire were his old clothes. Or am I missing something?
    How about the implicit threat to set the village on fire if Belkar's not paid off...

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think some people are interpreting the last page as Belkar burning down and looting the town once he realises the fire service is gone, and thus can't prevent it. I took it to mean that he extorted them out of all their money by threatening to burn the town down, in a kind of "Nice town you have here, shame if something were to happen to it" way.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    I can't think of anything more thrilling to read than the blow-by-blow specifics of a battle between an ancient black dragon and an apprentice baker.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by oball View Post
    I think some people are interpreting the last page as Belkar burning down and looting the town once he realises the fire service is gone, and thus can't prevent it. I took it to mean that he extorted them out of all their money by threatening to burn the town down, in a kind of "Nice town you have here, shame if something were to happen to it" way.
    Ahhh. Therein lay my problem. I was taking it literally and thinking he actually did burn something, and skipped over the "nice town, shame if it were to burn down" threat. Thanks!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ahhh. Therein lay my problem. I was taking it literally and thinking he actually did burn something, and skipped over the "nice town, shame if it were to burn down" threat. Thanks!
    I actually thought he had burned down the whole village. I mean, it's just like him to do this.
    Power equals power

The hero of any story can defy danger - but only a special hero can defy stories themselves.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I assume this is a canon story? I recall a line somewhere of the Giant potentially writing a kickstarter story with "Belkar being Belkar, continuity be darned".

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bedinsis View Post
    I assume this is a canon story? I recall a line somewhere of the Giant potentially writing a kickstarter story with "Belkar being Belkar, continuity be darned".

Yes, it is.

I do have a question for Rich. I'm currently taking a graduate course on comics and will probably be taking a segment of Order of the Stick for my final paper later this semester. I'm wondering if I would be permitted to use this story as the focus of a scholarly paper (and by necessity reproduce it for my professor). Fully understandable if I'm not, as I'm debating and leaning slightly toward a portion of Start of Darkness.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2013-02-22 at 09:37 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

8. - Top - End - #98

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Italian Hippy View Post
    Belkar is so tough he can CHEW METAL!

Seriously, though, it was an easy mistake to make. And they should be grateful! Belkar solved all their problems.
    He certainly solved the problem of the murderous vagrant at the end there. It wasn't cheap, but you pay for quality, right?

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Yes, it is.

I do have a question for Rich. I'm currently taking a graduate course on comics and will probably be taking a segment of Order of the Stick for my final paper later this semester. I'm wondering if I would be permitted to use this story as the focus of a scholarly paper (and by necessity reproduce it for my professor). Fully understandable if I'm not, as I'm debating and leaning slightly toward a portion of Start of Darkness.
    You might be best PMing him. More details on how you plan tI outline things couldn't hurt. Of course, he could just answer on here; PM is just the course of action I'd take were I inhibit shoes.

10. - Top - End - #100

BarbarianGuy

You might be best PMing him. More details on how you plan tI outline things couldn't hurt. Of course, he could just answer on here; PM is just the course of action I'd take were I inhibit shoes.
    He might send Jones and Rodriguez, since the pdf is a limited access work at this time.

11. - Top - End - #101

DwarfClericGuy

I'm with you.

I knew something was wrong about the situation when the shopkeeper tossed the money at the police chief and fire warden. Normally, you would expect fighting over money between two thieves.
    FTDWIR

12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm not a native, so the station[e/a]ry joke was lost on me on first read-through. Thanks for pointing it out in this thread.

The peddler though... he sells bicycles... is this a reference to "black market" or "pedals"? Or am I missing something again?

Anyhow, great story. I thought I called the twist early. And I was STILL extremely surprised just HOW evilly twisted it was.
    And I'm grateful that Belkar spared the town from burning. After robbing/extorting them, of course.

And the slavery really begs for another back(ers) story. I already see that there is a timeline in Belkars adventures
    - leaving his home village
    - slavery deals with Buggy Lou / being enslaved and killing his former comrades?
    - Uncivic servitude
    - jailed in Origins
    - Online comics

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    I'm not a native, so the station[e/a]ry joke was lost on me on first read-through. Thanks for pointing it out in this thread.

The peddler though... he sells bicycles... is this a reference to "black market" or "pedals"? Or am I missing something again?
    Stationary means both "standing still" and "paper". So he calls it a stationary store, which Belkar takes to mean a store that is standing still. When he asks don't all stores stand still, the tailor replies "not the peddler".

A peddler is normally a wandering merchant, not a store. So someone selling from a cart, basically. But the joke is that he sells bicycles, which one rides by peddling. So it's a series of puns.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I took it as he extorted them... and then burned it down anyways. I mean, he's already known to be a fan of burning things even if it's not the best idea because it'd be funny. Remember the bandit camp way back when?

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by Advance Strat.. View Post
    I took it as he extorted them... and then burned it down anyways. I mean, he's already known to be a fan of burning things even if it's not the best idea because it'd be funny. Remember the bandit camp way back when?
    So now the big, lingering question is, did that town actually get burned down or not?

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post

And the slavery really begs for another back(ers) story. I already see that there is a timeline in Belkars adventures
    - leaving his home village
    - slavery deals with Buggy Lou / being enslaved and killing his former comrades?
    - Uncivic servitude
    - jailed in Origins
    - Online comics
    Or maybe Belaker's period as a slaver comes after this story, as he has seen how the business model is succesful?
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Belkar did not actually burn the town down. If he had, I would have shown smoking ruins or the like to make that clear.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

18. - Top - End - #108

Belkar did not actually burn the town down. If he had, I would have shown smoking ruins or the like to make that clear.
    I'm pretty happy this is one of the things you decided to jump in on to clear up. I really wasn't liking the idea of Belkar extorting the townsfolk out of all the money in exchange for not killing them only to kill them anyway. Thanks!

19. - Top - End - #109

SwashbucklerGuy

So, he really ISN'T evil? I knew it! (Joking, obviously)

20. - Top - End - #110
    Spamalot in the Playground

That was great! And yeah, I don't really blame Belkar either, those two had it coming.

One joke I didn't get:

"Does the gentleman like the style?"
    "Sure, especially if she's good with her-"
    "I meant the style of the clothing, sir."
    "Oh!"

Does "style" have some other meaning I don't know?
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

21. - Top - End - #111

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    One joke I didn't get:

"Does the gentleman like the style?"
    "Sure, especially if she's good with her-"
    "I meant the style of the clothing, sir."
    "Oh!"

Does "style" have some other meaning I don't know?
    See the previous frame. "Half and half" is prostitute lingo for half oral / half PIV.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jere7my View Post
    See the previous frame. "Half and half" is prostitute lingo for half oral / half PIV.
    Ha! I definitely didn't know that. I don't know why I thought he meant coffee creamer... spending too much time in the office I suppose
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

23. - Top - End - #113

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Ha! I definitely didn't know that.
    Er, uh, I...I didn't either! Um.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tank you Mr. Giant sir! May I have another?

Download just finished, so I'm off to reading about everyone's favorite (or least favorite) halfling.

I didn't get the joke either, until now.

And now it makes so much sense it hurts.
    Last edited by The Second; 2013-02-23 at 10:03 PM.

1782. I will remember we're playing 4th edition and stop using my imagination.
    - From 1975 things MR. Welch is no longer allowed to do in an RPG.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Iiked the story in general, but I only really started enjoying it after reading the big twist at the end. That was just brilliant.
    Were the names "Brint" and "Shart" references to something? They seemed very odd to me.
    Also, since people have been mentioning their favorite lines, mine would have to be from the deputy mayor, right after discussing why they call the giant acid-spewing bug an ankheg - "Sadly, that's not specific enough in this region" It's pretty subtle, but really implies how much life would suck for an average peasant in a D&D campaign.
    Ahhh, the overconfident, smug smirk. When done right, it's almost an art form.
    Hey, I'm an artist now!

I'd make a plug for Teutonic Knight here for providing the sweet avatar. Really, I would. But I just can't find a witty way to express my admiration.
    Shame, really.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I dunno about "Brint", but "Shart" references a symptom of intestinal distress, where flatulence (a fart) might come with an extra prize (****).

And Belkar's threat to the village reminds me of an episode of Oglaf, where a village tries to get out of paying a promised reward to Grier:

"The village is poor!"
    "The village is flammable."
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2013-02-24 at 02:59 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

Should probably warn people that Oglaf in general and that strip in particular are NSFW.
    I can't think of anything more thrilling to read than the blow-by-blow specifics of a battle between an ancient black dragon and an apprentice baker.

28. - Top - End - #118

I'd assumed that 'half and half' had some sort of sexual meaning; thanks for confirming my suspicion and providing a definition.
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Should probably warn people that Oglaf in general and that strip in particular are NSFW.
    But very funny, for those who don't mind large amounts of nudity and sex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, no doubt, Oglaf is fantastic. Just thought that anyone unfamiliar with it might appreciate being warned they were about to click through to a page full of cartoon dong. After all, kids read this comic.