New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*

Also chiming in a bit late; I'd been a bit busy to keep up with the forum and dropped out for a while.

One angle that occurs to me is how nicely the "escaped from slavery" backstory averts the risk (mentioned by Rich in the notes of one of the books, IIRC) of making Belkar seem tragic rather than comically evil -- between the "execution" of the slavers and the suspicion (based on what we know of Belkar) that he got himself into that predicament by choosing to tangle with the wrong people rather than as an utterly innocent victim.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2013-05-14 at 12:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*

Also, he sees nothing wrong with slavery provided he's not the one being enslaved.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    Also chiming in a bit late; I'd been a bit busy to keep up with the forum and dropped out for a while.

One angle that occurs to me is how nicely the "escaped from slavery" backstory averts the risk (mentioned by Rich in the notes of one of the books, IIRC) of making Belkar seem tragic rather than comically evil -- between the "execution" of the slavers and the suspicion (based on what we know of Belkar) that he got himself into that predicament by choosing to tangle with the wrong people rather than as an utterly innocent victim.
    As I see it, the Giant sidestepped the problem by writing a story of Belkar as we know him (minus the clothes) rather than an origin story.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    As I see it, the Giant sidestepped the problem by writing a story of Belkar as we know him (minus the clothes) rather than an origin story.
    In a way, it kind of is an origin story. The origin of Belkar's decision to become an adventurer.

Also the origin of his clothes.

Two origin stories.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    In a way, it kind of is an origin story. The origin of Belkar's decision to become an adventurer.

Also the origin of his clothes.

Two origin stories.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Belkar decides at the end that adventuring is stupid. We learn the all important fact that his clothes are made of 49 shades of grey. But the apparel isn't terribly important to Belkar's identity
    I think an origin story is meant to explain how a character got into the circumstances we find them in, where they got their abilities, problems, background, peculiarities, etc. This event provides us with no explanation as to how Belkar became a psychopathic sadist, or a ranger w/o key abilities. It merely shows an earlier and unconnected experiment in "being an adventurer."

We will never get an origin story of the mentally disturbed side of the equation because Rich explained in OTOoPCs it would make Belkar's behavior seem more tragic than funny.

Spoiler
    Show
    It doesn't have to, Belkar could be born that way, or start by comical misunderstandings of the sort we see here. Say he heard the zen Buddhist koan "When you see Buddha on the road kill him" and started seeking the Buddha out. I think Rich isn't taking this way because Belkar is turning out to be more three dimensional.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Heh. 49th shade of grey is tied up. I c wat u did thar.
    Oh wow... I totally missed the gag there...

Just goes to show The Giant is better at throwing them out than the MunchKING is at getting them.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

7. - Top - End - #187
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Oh wow... I totally missed the gag there...
    Fixed it for you!

Who is betting Malack and Tarquin will be their Wedding uniforms in Haleo and Juelan

8. - Top - End - #188
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGirl

Is this where we can come to ask about the 'Monster for Every Season' PDF's?

9. - Top - End - #189
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Tathum View Post
    Ask what, exactly? If it's anything along the lines of "Why hasn't the next one been released yet?" then I imagine that would be frowned upon, in the same way that questions about the schedule of the main strip are.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tathum View Post
    From reading the first post of this thread, that is not on topic. This thread is about the Kickstarter pdf stories:

Some rules for this thread:
    • Discussion of the Kickstarter itself and the progress being made on future stories should stay on the existing Kickstarter thread. This is for talking about the stories themselves after they've been released.
    So the right thread for you is probably The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow, but without knowing your questions, that is hard to answer.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I get to work, sit down at my desk ready to be drearily productive for eight hours, and the first thing I see is an e-mail that there's a 25-page(!!!) OOTS story for me to read!

Rich is the best. Although I'm not sure my boss agrees.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

12. - Top - End - #192
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

eek Re: OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*

Alas, the password provided for the Haleo & Julelan zip archive is not working for me.

EDIT: he has posted a correct password on the kickstarter site.
    Last edited by Just Joseph; 2013-08-15 at 09:44 AM. Reason: update to information

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

Awesome. Have only read through once so far, though.

On page 19, "since your marrying" should be "since you're marrying".

14. - Top - End - #194

Hey, this is dumb, but how do you open the zip file with the password? Can you do it on iPhone?

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

I kinda saw Haley's tatoo on her back during their "love making" scene. Wow, D&D rules do make a difference in Shakespeare universe. I kinda wonder how it would work in Othello (Pillow for Celia).
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

16. - Top - End - #196
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

You probably can't do it on an iPhone with the basic system, but I'm sure there are unarchiving apps that can be acquired.

Also, as noted, the original password was incorrect, the new password can be found in Update #62.

Finally, we've been seeing people with Mac OSX 10.6.8 being unable to open it even with the right password. The following workaround works:
    1.) Open Terminal.
    2.) Type "unzip " without the quotes but WITH the space after.
    3.) Drag the zip file into the Terminal window.
    4.) Hit Return.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Just finished reading Haleo and Julelan.

It. Was. HILARIOUS! I think the random M:tG reference got me laughing the loudest.

Awesome work, Giant!
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Hehehe. "Why are my tiny people fighting?? Do not fight, tiny people!"

I love the Empress of Blood.

19. - Top - End - #199

You probably can't do it on an iPhone with the basic system, but I'm sure there are unarchiving apps that can be acquired.

Also, as noted, the original password was incorrect, the new password can be found in Update #62.

Finally, we've been seeing people with Mac OSX 10.6.8 being unable to open it even with the right password. The following workaround works:
    Damn it. Thanks anyway. Looks like I'll have to wait a few hours until I get home.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Android also seems to have issues with the zip - my tablet didn't even ask me for a password, it just showed me an empty archive and then spat out an error message when I hit "extract."
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I depressed myself by getting all of Tarquin's "outdated" musical references. Also, the casting was excellent. I'm probably missing a few visual jokes from the dance panel too. I think that robot was the one from OotPCs that tried to join?

I can't decide what was funniest; the pervy moon, the dead 4th edition reference, the Magic reference, or the issue of "Seventeenth Century" with extended metaphors as the hot new way of flirting.

EDIT: Also, it was nice to bask in seeing Nale dead for a bit, even in an alternate continuity outside the main story. Wrapping up Act 2 in far less space than the original was great too. Oh, and the running joke about no one knowing Tarquin's family surname. (There must be a reason that we don't know it but I can't imagine what it is. I can't think they'd be related to any of the other major characters unless I missed something.)

Basically, this was a big pile of awesome.
    Last edited by FlawedParadigm; 2013-08-15 at 10:32 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    Android also seems to have issues with the zip - my tablet didn't even ask me for a password, it just showed me an empty archive and then spat out an error message when I hit "extract."
    No one else has reported that one, and I don't have any Android gadgets, so I can't really be of much help. I would recommend trying a third party un-archiving app, if you can find one that's free. Alternately, you could move it to a full computer, unzip it, and then move it back.

If anyone else reports a problem and then a fix to it, I'll let you know. If it goes a day or two and you just can't get it open no matter what you try, PM me your email and I'll use an alternate method.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Yeah, I ended up just unzipping it on my work PC. So if it was just a one-off error, no big deal.

24. - Top - End - #204

BardGuy

I downloaded it on my work computer, unzipped it, emailed it to myself, and opened it on my iPad from the email. Might help others at work - but be careful if you're IT are more paranoid than mine!

Fun story. A little surprised by the ending;
    Spoiler
    Show
    could have had them both die and done some kind of start of a new plot in the afterlife.
    Loved the thumb bite part; it's a great example of what is a horrible insult depends entirely on the time and place. Also loved the random cameos, especially in the market. And Tarquin's song dropping? Hilarious.

(Though I have to admit I completely missed the Julelan part and was expecting Julio. )

25. - Top - End - #205

As a big fan of Romeo and Juliet, who was slightly nervous about how this adaptation would go, I've got to say...Haleo and Julelan is just awesome. Really, really good. So many nice details, so many great jokes, so many wonderful lines. My favourite? V wearing a V mask at the ball. Love it. And the market scene was great too. Banjo as the nurse? Creepily effective. Can't wait to read it again and see more things that I missed first time round.

Really good work, and well worth the wait. Thank you.

Felt proud of getting all Tarquin's lyric quotes, right up until they were described as outdated. Burn.

Also; does anyone else really want to see full StickTales versions of the stories referred to in the introduction?
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

26. - Top - End - #206

Default Haleo and Julelan

I just read through Haleo and Julelan. It was great!!

But for some reason I couldn't stop trying to read it in pentameter. It didn't fit all of the time.

27. - Top - End - #207

Quote Originally Posted by sam79 View Post
    So many nice details, so many great jokes, so many wonderful lines. My favourite? V wearing a V mask at the ball. Love it.
    No! I can't believe I missed that one! That's a great one!

But I did spot that someone dared dress up as a glass shard on the party.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

So much reference, and win, lots of win.
    You don't see the gnomes running around fighting wars with each other, do you? No, because they're civilized.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

I think the best sight gag in the entire comic was
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vaarsuvius during the ball... dressed as V.
    Last edited by Yana; 2013-08-15 at 11:07 AM.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Anyone who claimed they saw this story coming from the title is a filthy liar.